Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The armor container (Shroud of Dreams) is used up in each combine, also.

The templates were under 1k when I was buying them.

Maxing tailoring will require hundreds of thousands of plat and the AAs for Tailoring Mastery, Scavenge and maybe New Tannin Crafting Mastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bards still have a lot of synergy with necros and other casters that stacks with most things. Druid caster aDPS is based on DD crit boosts that don't do much for a necro and an aura that conflicts(kinda) with enc's Mana Reiteration line and necro's Reluctant Benevolence AA. RB in a group of casters/hybrids is enough heal most AEs and give some healing boost on tanks.

Caster aDPS is a huge pile of conflicts and overwriting problems. While melee aDPS just keeps on stacking.

Technical details on the dru/enc auras:
The Druid and Enchanter spell proc aura both pulse every 3 ticks (like a bard song) and give you 6 charges of a nuke that procs on any hp lowering detrimental spell (nuke or dot). If both auras are being used in the same group, they will each overwrite the other aura when they pulse. Meaning if you stagger the pulses, you'll have about 6s worth of one, then 12s of the other. This is very useful when using twincast effects because you would normally burn through your 6 charges in 3 casts, the second aura provides another set of charges to go through every 18s.

They both straight up overwrite RB, which is on a 6m reuse timer.

Bards are pretty much the best aDPS class and stack with almost everything.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 13, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

All servers down, owned.

Beo posted:

I can probably make a hotkey that blocks the druids aura for when i pop RB.

Since you're running all characters, can just click off the druid aura in the aura window and cast rb 20s later. But blocking the aura will allow rb to sit on that character unmolested.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The sale was illusions going down to 3500sc and LoN packs going to 100sc.

Yeah, I have no clue why that was worth sending out two emails to everyone.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

PS a 500 second parse is not remotely statistically significant, which is why those average hits are skewed. Monkly Business and Evilgamer accept only 8+ hour parses (not making GBS threads you). A 500 second parse is equivalent to flipping a coin 3 times, getting heads every time, and deciding the universe is out to get you. As soon as I camp the KC pipe and finish my 1.0, I'll do some really long parses, but I promise the CF ratio is still 9/16 for sure

A 500s parse is fine for 'Which weapon is better?' when you have ones that are this far apart. For his, the epic is ~10% higher. Maybe slight different on a longer parse but I doubt that number is dropping to 0%.

8+ hours parses are for when you need to narrow things down to tenths/hundredths of a percent. Like picking up the changes from a new 25 tier of heroic stats or changing 50ac. Not when you're trying to pick between weapons that apparently have a different dps output around 50-10% less another one.

This isn't anything worth 20 hours of parsing because he go with the first data sets and have leveled into new weapons in that much time. Because who the gently caress cares that much about level 61 monk dps?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Decent but super limited time augs for you mid level gold level people:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5051

Get the quest for the highest level one that you can, then shroud (Find Spirit Shroud NPCs in PoK) down the go get the quests for the lower level augs. Do not finish the first quest before getting more quests. Once you have the quests, you're done with shrouds and can go collect all the pieces and do the turn-ins in your normal form.

The level 5 aug is 10ac and 10hp/mana, which is solid for a mid-level aug that takes very little work.

Be sure to get the quests for all the augs you want before finishing one, or you'll have to wait 18 hours to get another Gifts of Steel quest.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Weeeeeeeird. What's the damage bonus on the two weapons? I can't imagine them stealth boosting the 1.0 but them numbas don't lie. I really wish I had a 1.0 because I badly want to tinker with this poo poo now

Check these out, should be faster than the monk epic: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=17878
I'm assuming they're inv clickable and haven't been updated yet.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

If any of you were on Erollisi, I would buy your gamecards for plat all day long.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MUST GET ACHIEVEMENTS!!!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I hope you're using the LoN stand alone client, not the one built into EQ.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

You can get a T2 shield though, which is a great upgrade from group gear.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Well my video card exploded last night in the middle of a LoL match and I have no $ to buy a new one since I'm moving soon. 4boxing EQ on my laptop isn't really possible, so see you guys in a while :(

You could just two box on your laptop!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

The best option I've heard is to have a cleric bot cast shining armor on you and swarm the entire zone of Kaesora, which gets you about 10/11 AA per pull. But that would require me getting an 89 cleric, which I don't want to invest time in. I would be so giddy if someone had an 89+ cleric they would be willing to sell, but I'm pretty sure that is against the rules.

How the gently caress do you swarm the entire Kaesora zone?

Not how do you kill that many things, but how do you have that many things aggro with the zone server making GBS threads all over your face. Gyrospire instances start having mobs warp and ghost at about 60-70 mobs. But pulling up a Z-axis def hurts there. Tosk was rubber banding really bad about 50 mobs. I hit deflection as the pile rounded the corner at me and the entire disc was used up before I actually got hit by any of it. And Kaesora has more mobs than either of those zones

Once stuff starts warping like that, you wind up with mobs behind you in the corner and that just fucks everything up. F8 targeting, non-ripostable hits that bypass most of your defenses and they might bump you out of position.

Of course that's just an over reaction to a exaggeration :p And you do Kaesora in about 3 pulls.

Swarming does get slower after 90, since you don't get any new zones to swarm in, all your old ones just end up being 5 levels lower now and you lose anything easier than Gyrospires. You do get to do bigger pulls in those zones though. Feerrott felt a little too tough to swarm in, but maybe some even better gear would make is feasible. I'm talking like t2/3 VoA raid level gear. There might be someplace in UF that works, but UF is horrible.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

You need to do some faction work for the 1.5 prequest, since it needs a part from the 1.0 quest. But you NEED to get your 2.0 eventually, it has one of the better click effects and doesn't diminish as you level up.

Just skip the 1.0 since the iksar broodling is a pain in the rear end to find unless Dragons, Dragons, Dragons comes back.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Try Loping Plains, it's the normal group spot for 70ish people.

as for 45ish stuff, try old world or kunark stuff, the mobs are going to be a LOT easier than things from later expansions.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

That means if you can brave a Wal-Mart and find their $15 SC cards, you can get a year of gold for $30 today.
Or VoA + some time in gold for $15.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I went out and bought some GCs to get a year sub, then I came back and started buying codes for plat in general.

I am now swimming in so much SC that I have no clue what to do with it all. Free subs and expansions for the next two years on 3 accounts I guess.

Edit: on Erollisi

quote:

I have 2 wllmart cards for trade for PP on the Drinal server. Post here if you want them and well hook up.

Get in the serverwide chat, I might be willing to buy those and transfer a plat mule over to pay for them.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 29, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

darkhand posted:

When people say The Hole, are they talking about the Ruins of Old Paineel or that hole in Overthere?

The Ruins of Old Paineel. The zone name is The Hole. I don't think there's a name for the canyon in OT, except calling it the hole/canyon/pit in OT.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Ylide posted:

Do they still actively look for people using ShowEQ? Just curious as I know it can save some time checking on or hunting down spawns on epic quests, but if it's still easy to get nabbed using it then I will forgo it.

The 2nd box ShowEQ like the old days? Completely safe if you're not a moron.

MQ2 that hooks into EQ? Probably safe if you're not using any active client hacks. And if you don't get caught by the launchpad scanning your processes.

They did step up cheating detection and enforcement a couple months before f2p started and did a couple banning/suspension waves.

And if you're gonna autofire up casting skills, do it in your guildhall where hopefully no one will say anything. Not in the middle of the guild lobby in front of 150 people.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Snare, Ensnare, and the AA Entrap are all fixed duration runspeed decreasers. Snare last 4 minutes and the other two last ~15 minutes.

Druids and Rangers are the two classes that should worry least about runners because those are all fast casting, long lasting and low/no mana cost.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tolain posted:

Armor of Wisdom aa: Can anyone clarify exactly what this does? The berserker forum seems to insist that it adds to softcap AA, whereas SK forum thinks its just displayed AA thats normalized based on the softcap.

Well, the SK forum has this quote from an eq dev explaining it

quote:

Ok hopefully this works. Here are the raw numbers. Each class *should* work out to 50 AC after running through the Softcap division, which varies by class, so the data varies by class:

Warrior
NAME AFFECTNAME BASE_EFFECT_1
Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 29
Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 58
Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 87
Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 116
Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 145

Cleric, Ranger, Monk, Bard
Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 33
Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 66
Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 99
Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 132
Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 165

Paladin, Shadow Knight
Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 31
Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 62
Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 93
Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 124
Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 155

Druid, Necromancer, Wizard, Enchanter, Mage
Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 50
Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 100
Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 150
Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 200
Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 250

Rogue, Shaman, Beastlord, Berserker
Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 40
Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 80
Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 120
Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 160
Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 200

So it is AC normalized based on softcap ac gain ratios.

This post is a great collection of information: http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7760

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

This is mostly anecdotal, but I had the exact same Armor of Wisdom question and most serverwide SKs laughed at me, so I testcopied to parse and spent 4 hours getting hit with 0 AoW adn 4 hours getting hit with max AoW while everything else was the same. Either it raises the softcap or "displayed" AC is worth a lot more than people thought. I don't have the actual numbers because they're on my non-functional computer, but I took statistically less difference with AoW to the point I filled that bitch up on Kodaji.

Again, I can't back it up because the parses are on another computer and/or I could be a math idiot, but IMO the AA is well worth it. It makes about as much difference as a shield, which to me means both softcap raise and worth it.

Well, it's not like post-softcap AC is worthless. It's just worth less than pre-softcap AC. AoW is set up so everyone gains the same actual AC from it. I'm pretty sure you have armor pieces with less ac than the 155 provided by 5 levels of AoW. So you could consider the 15 levels of AoW as being an additional 3 full gear slots of ac.

The later levels of CS raise your ac softcap by 1%, so it's quite possible that AoW simply raises your ac enough to provide more of a benefit than that small of a softcap increase. The second in that AoW thread mentions a level of CS being worth 4 real ac. That would put the first 5 levels of AoW being worth 12 levels of CS. With AoW now having 15 levels, that would be worth 37 levels of CS, which, uh, would be pretty loving good.

Those tables also show that the 285ac on my shield is worth 1425 over-cap druid AC. Magelo lists my total worn AC at ~3200ac, meaning that shield is worth roughly as much melee protection as half of my other worn gear. And that upgrading my shield aug by 2 ac is worth the same ac as going up two full tiers of VoA raid armor in one slot. Remember to always put your highest AC aug in your shield, kiddies!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

darkhand posted:

Is there a collective primer on the way stats work at a high-level? Like you guys were talking about "soft" AC caps and I have no clue what that means. The majority of my raiding experience has been in WoW which was pretty basic as far as stats go.

I try to read thesafehouse forums but a lot of it is old bunk and they don't delve too much into stat calculations. Or do I even need to know about this stuff as a non-tank?

edit: I found this, gonna read through some of it, hopefully it's not too old/bunk.
http://samanna.net/eq.general/effects.shtml#3

You don't need to worry about it too much as a non-tank. And pretty much every non-ac non-heroic stat gets a hard cap that will be hit once you get above HoT T1 armor. That Samanna page is close enough, a few things are out of date, but nothing major. The SK forums are probably the best source of tanking mechanics information, followed by some old posts on the warrior forums.

Quick AC softcap explaination: AC softcaps really low by today's armor standards, making all worn non-shield ac above that point less effective on a ratio based on your class (See the AoW chart for ratios). AC on a shield is not subject to this softcap, making it *much* more effective than normal armor AC.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The only way you're getting more Cleave is by going with cultural armor. This and the relative ease of getting higher end raid armor are the two main reasons for using cultural armor. It's also the reason you should save Disuniting Mechanotablets if you're killing clockworks, as that's the tablet used to make the cleave augs and it's the only one that sells in the bazaar still.

On tribute, melees should have max ac and flurry bonuses going while exping. There's plenty of easy tribute out there, including those dreamwaver satchels you can /claim 999 of if you own voa or hot.

quote:

Also caster DPS classes can get sympathetic proc augs for their shields (not sure how many of these there are but I got one randomly in LoN packs) and I'd prefer this since you're going to get raped for 10-15k+ if you get hit anyway.

One of the things my guild checks on new apps is A) Do they have all aug slots filled? and B) do they have their highest possible AC in shield? A No for either of those means they are lovely and/or lazy and deserve at least some heckling. Even on raids you'll take some random hits from trash so keeping your survivability up is important.

Remember when I mentioned that my shield was worth as much AC as half my gear? The aug in it is worth a full 2 gear slots of AC. There is simply nothing better a caster can do to improve melee survivability than placing a good aug there. Feel free to bandolier out to a 2hb with 3 aug slots during a burn though.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Download the stand alone client for LoN from http://legendsofnorrath.station.sony.com/play4free.vm and give that a shot. The client built in to EQ is pretty lovely and prone to crashing itself and/or EQ.

I just logged into it with my silver account and it seemed fine.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

meat gnome posted:

This is the magelo of one of the warriors in the top raid guild: http://eq.magelo.com/profile/568718

Oh cool, he's using a rune aug in his weapon. I haven't seen a warrior with one of those and I've asked a bunch why they don't use it since it's effectively ae hate and some tiny mitigation.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Use a sc card?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hammer of the Ironfrost drops off Creator in SSra same %15 mod that the trophy has.

If you have the mastery and salvage AAs with a +15% mod, there's nothing else to lower failure chance except the potion.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Remember only the highest skill mod applies, so a trophy + hammer is still just a 15% total.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

An hour into the Resplendent Temple raid and BAM, owned by the servers. Who needs loot for all that time anyways?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

If you know some 90-95ish people, you can get a TA to the 13th mission Rumor Has It at level 80 and get the .5s cast shrink bracer Ring of the Ancients ( http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=103710 ), it's also a decent item to wear at 80. The task reward is about 8aa at 500aa, too.

I got a shrink wand on my sk by AFKing at the spawn point with a warrior merc and an audio trigger on the name of the mob. Actually, I've used that for camping trivial things quite a few times.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

^^ If you have a Tank and Cleric merc in your group, you can pretty much do whatever and let them carry you.

Node posted:

This is exactly what I did. I won with one hit point remaining. That seems pretty cheesy, I guess I'm too used to Magic where you have abilities like Trample.

I'm too used to Magic, where the game isn't terrible.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Ante Christ posted:

IS there any good UI's to use on a laptop? My screen resolution is like only 1366x768, but everything I see on EQinterface is a minimum for 1650x1080.

Watui linked in the OP somewhere is about the most minimalist UI I've found for laptop use.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Oben posted:

I camped this all day and eventually got two in a row for my gnomes. You can't shrink gnomes. :(

Now get some Illusions that make you big enough to be worth shrinking.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

heisenberg posted:

Well, this is an odd problem. Been headshotting in PoFire for too long on Rangash (up to nearly 600 AAs), I camp out there, and try to log in today. Game won't let me. Try a few more times, still no luck. Logged in to another character fine, ran him to PoFire, and it fails - half of the time it dumps me back to a screen that says "Your login could not be validated", the other half it takes me to the server select.

I tried deleting my UI files, I tried doing the "Validate Game Assets", heck I even tried removing all of my pofire files from the EQ directory and having the patcher redownload. Nothing. I opened a /petition, but I'm sure it takes them 3 weeks to respond. Anyone have any other potential fixes? I need to poopsock some more AAs!

Some of our members had the same problem a few patches ago, here's a thread with info http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=184533

Check your dbg.log for some lines that look like:

quote:

[Tue Mar 20 18:58:46 2012]00249:Could not connect to 69.174.201.157:1900 [client:DisconnectReasonConnectFail,server:DisconnectReasonNone]. Negotiation count: 601.

[Tue Mar 20 18:58:46 2012]00250:Networking: Connection Closed [0] with 0 pending bytes.
[Tue Mar 20 18:58:46 2012]00251:Failed to connect to zoneserver (69.174.201.157, port 1900), result = 1, for MSG_ZONE_ADDRESS.

[Tue Mar 20 18:58:46 2012]00252:THE SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING.

If you find that, note the port number then check http://www.firebind.com/ and run some tests with that port. Your ISP may be blocking the port that the zone sever for PoFire is currently using. You can try contacting your ISP to get that port unblocked, or wait till the servers go down because the server randomly pick ports after patches.

You can petition a GM to move your characters out of any zones you're stuck in or wait 6 hours for the return home option to show up on character select.

Yes, it is completely stupid for SOE to be using ports that are commonly blocked by ISPs for its zone servers.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

2p per an attempt is basically nothing.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

That's how I PL up new characters. Using my SK as the damage sponge and Druid for DSes and promised heals (their heal count as hates from the SK). That works up until about 70 in the planes before it starts to suck. Which is about when you can group with a 95 for normal exp. Then I just swarm PL them in group till 80 before getting any more AAs. I only pick up a few AA along the way, things like run3/5, spells slots, innate invis and other vital quality of life AAs.

My general zone plan for that was Whatever -> Nadox -> PoValor -> PoEarth -> Tosk/Gyrospire/Kaesora.

The mobs either need to be super trivial to tank 30 at once with an ALEX, or light blue to trigger Mortal Coil for swarming.

I pulled off 60-70 in one lesson by camping while waiting for respawns in PoValor, and 100aa in another even with lots of zoning due to instance dropping in Zeka.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I got the 9th spell gem on my druid (and I can't get the 10th until 75) and want to get the same for my bard and then max out innate run speed for both classes. I can't get more than Mental Clarity 3 for my druid until he levels up more, so I feel like I should focus on levels rather than AA right now.

Don't buy MC. Before Out Of Combat regen I would have called it overpriced. With OOC regen it's a waste of AAs except as a pre-req for good AAs.

The AAs I'd worry most about for casters early on are the quality of life AAs line innate invis, exodus, spell gems, and the first few levels of crit AA where the return on AA spent is much better than later levels.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Really? There are something like 33 levels of that. Obviously, the AA investment would be huge, but surely getting a persistent +30 or more mana per tick in this era of the game's evolution is impactful?

Then again, what would I know? I'm still in that mentality of 2003-2004 when every little point of mana regen was as precious as a virgin in a brothel.

There's also another 35 ranks of Expansive Mind. Each level of either gives you 10 mana per a minute. Having both maxed is 680 mana per a minute.. Not counting either of those, my self buffed mana regen with a group wolf form is 190. On raids it's something like 400. Seems like a decent amount? One tick of OOC regen is 2178 mana for me. You're never more than 3:30 from full mana in the group game. And the full range in those two AAs is going cost in range of 500 AA or more since I forgot when they start costing 10aa per a level.

The druid black/white wolf forms will give you much more duration mana regen plus mana preservation plus crit boost for fewer invested AAs. The two FT AAs are worth buying once you get to around 4000-4500AA. I'll be around 7500 before I start considering the last 5 levels in each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Double EXP this week(end)!

quote:

Starting at 12:01 pm Pacific (Noon) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012, and lasting until 11:59 pm Pacific on Monday, May 28, 2012, we'll offer a Double Experience in EverQuest! Take advantage of this special extended Double Experience Weekend and watch those XP bars skyrocket!