Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Dennis McClaren posted:

After 5pm, I get disconnected from EQ after 5-15 mins.

Make sure you don't have multiple commands tied to the same key. Some of the TLP servers kick users out when too many commands are entered. E.G. binding sense heading to movement keys will result in LD.

It doesn't explain the "5pm" part, but it may be coincidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Verbose posted:

Are Paladins really that terrible to play? Kinda wanted to quest fiery avenger

I may be biased because i main a TLP Paladin, but I'm having fun.

Epic quest probably isn't worth the time after Kunark. Everything drops two handers in Velious. Quest isn't too difficult if you're doing it for fun.

Raiding can be a bit uneventful when you don't get to offtank. Paladins can spot heal, cure, and buff to keep busy.

My biggest complaint is the lack of DPS. Small price to pay for being indestructible.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

* is "taunt" not like WoW taunt? The equivalent ability is actually "Provoke"?

The previous posters had good comments regarding taunt.

Another thing to note is that taunt and threat can get complicated. It's going to be a full-time job for tanks and AE taunts are rare. Tanks generally use weapon damage, weapon procs, and spells (knights).

As a warrior you'll want two decent weapons with good dmg/delay ratios. It's nice when the weapons have procs built in, but most don't proc until higher levels. You can buy "augments" in major cities that can add procs to a weapon. (Use stun augment)

Taunt may be unreliable until later levels. Keep trying and try not to get frustrated. Most EQ classes that wear chain or better can take a lot of hits without dying. Trigger happy casters will eventually learn to better manage their agro.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Does anyone know a TLP tradeskill website that can be filtered by expansion? I've been following Almars TLP guide, but it seemed to stop early.

Agnarr is still in Velious and I'm trying to level smithing higher than 220. Are cultural items and mistletoe sickles the only way to get higher than 220? Those items are difficult to mass produce for skillups.

I see Luclin has other options, but i'd prefer to be better skilled when it launches. Any suggestions?

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

nyttyn posted:

So as someone who's interested in giving EQ a bit of a torusim gander to see what it was/is all about, would a TLP server be more of a "authentic" experience or should I just play on live and go back and solo everything for the atmosphere?

It depends how interested you are and what your intentions are. If you're genuinely interested in the history and want to progress through the expansions, then TLP may be best.

If you've never played EQ then you should definitely play on live for a bit.

TLPs are close to original release but are not "authentic". Everyone knows everything now so the experience is different. Ignoring the min/max powergamers the actual content is close/identical to original content.

Live servers will have less low levels and groups, but mercs and boxes are more available. The gear is also powerful so you'll solo better in most cases.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
I hate this stupid terms and conditions message box on the new TLP character select. Really looking forward to agreeing everytime i want to switch characters.

Some lawyer somewhere must be so proud.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

snergle posted:

can someone explain some of the newer mechanics to me. how do those npcs who send items to your alts work and how do the melee augs in vanilla work? are there any other melee changes like maybe you have endurance and some early melee books from later expacs?

The mail system is done through 'parcel' merchants. You can send/receive items and money. The parcel vendors appear in cities and select non-city locations. You can bind characters at the non-city spots.

Melee augments are sold at cities. I think most tanks run 2 stun augments. They're lore but the previous rank is still good if you dual wield.

Melee books are in Freeport. You can invis to vendor if needed.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Syle187 posted:

It seems like I have to manually assign loot to party members after every kill. I'm not sure what I expected, but it is a bit offputting.

You should never have to manually assign loot. Unless you set group to master looter or want to override rolling.

The window has a terrible UI, but it's powerful.

The far left options will determine what happens. I think you want the dice image next to a check box. This will automatically random the item to "interested people" .

The other options (need, greed, always need, always greed, never) determine who is interested.

At the bottom there is a dropdown list to "set all to ...". This option is your friend for new characters. Use it to "set all to always greed" for example. This can also be used to "leave on corpse" which clears the window.

I really didn't like the loot window, but it grows on you. Eventually it's awesome once you have preferences defined.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Aades posted:

How are the low level groups on Rizlona and Mangler? Aradune had tons of picks...

Rizlona won't have a thousand picks, but there are people to group with. The usual "exp highway" spots are always popular.

The majority of the server are 1-3 boxing. An awful lot of 1 and 2 boxing in particular. Most would gladly pickup a random LFG to join.

The solo players seem to do okay from what I see. Pick a useful class, make friends, don't be a jerk and you'll get groups. Everyone knows a real player is usually better exp/company.

I kind of think Rizlona is great for unpopular classes too. Lots of people run holy trinity classes so anything can add in. I personally grab any rogue/wizard/ranger/necro that's LFG.

It's not my guild, but there is literally a guild named Aradune Refugees...

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Malaria posted:

How does multi-boxing work exactly? Are you using some software to do commands to all the characters?

Also how does krono farming work? You just buy them for plat from other people?

Boxing ranges from simple true box with multiple computers to fully automated characters. The limited assistance programs can "broadcast" commands to a specific character (e.g. tell box2 to /follow). The fully automated characters will follow some set of rules to follow (e.g. healer box2 is set to auto-heal anyone < 75% health). The server specific rules will determine what is allowed.

Some boxing setups will show multiple characters on one monitor. It works similar to a TV "picture in picture" where the extra characters appear as a small tile.

Players will exchange krono for either platinum or items. The farmers generally want krono for subscriptions or to sell for RL money. It is the default currency for all big transactions. (e.g. golden efreeti boots will sell for 1krono or the current krono market rate in platinum.) Some whales may even drop 12+ krono for some stupid raid drop.

Krono sounds scary coming from p99, but it's not that bad. You don't need to use them if you don't want to.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Drunkenboxer posted:

I'm excited to check this out but even launching the EQ launcher from Steam shows a broken/all black page on the launcher window. Anyone else seeing this or should I try re-installing?

Launcher commonly implodes under pressure/maintenance.

You can bypass the launcher by creating a special shortcut. Point the shortcut to eqgame.exe and add "patchme" to the target without quotes.

Bypassing the launcher restores the original login screen. Useful for when launcher is broken.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Floob posted:

Does anyone have a resource for current spells?

Eqitems.com is reliable for spell expansion and vendor info.

EQResource.com is useful for more details about what spells do.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Ort posted:

How are bards for a solo class if someone didn’t want to box?

The group bonuses make solo experience terribly slow. It might be better with mercenaries on live, but it's torture for TLPs.

Most classes can solo for the first few expansions, but it's never going to be fast. Your friends/guild will out level you. Pretty sure this plays into the Luclin/PoP TLP dropouts.

Playing a single character is fine, but you'll need groups for best results. Main bards commonly do a lot more than /melody so they're usually good group additions.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Does anyone have advice for the Tipt GoD mission in era on TLP?

The trash respawns fast and hits really hard. I haven't made it to the final boss yet, but I hear he's rough. I learned how to solo pull the hatchlings which makes that part easy, but random trash is killing me.

I have an enchanter and the charm seems to help. However, I've had a few wipes from loose charm pets. I try to keep enchanter runes up, but it barely helps. I'm tempted to slow the charm pet.

My characters are elemental geared, but don't all have the base survivability AAs (hp/ac/avoidance). Should I grind out the survivability AAs for my dps?

On paper the instance doesn't sound too bad, but each mistake makes me start over. Do I need to keep trying until I get a miracle 'perfect' attempt?

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Solarin posted:

Are you boxing a full group? Mistakes can spiral into death even for reasonably geared groups with one player per character. What classes do you have?

Yes, I'm boxing a full group. Classes are Paladin/Druid/Enchanter/Rogue/Wizard/Wizard. First three have 400 AAs, but last 3 barely have any.

Druid seems to be working hard, but is constantly casting heals. I think my problem is the non-tanks die too quickly. Paladin can't always help heal because he's trying to regain control.

I'll make an effort to get the survivability AAs for all 6.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I wondered what the horizon of my play would look like, checked out the forums and immediately stopped playing.

P99 and live forums are both wild places. I don't think either represents the "average" player. Both forums are heavily moderated/censored so any posts with valid complaints are deleted. Both forums match forum accounts to player accounts, which means anything controversial might get your character banned unless you are clever with VPNs.

Most TLP players are okay to interact with. The biggest issues are p99 players not understanding rules or using rules as weapons. (E.G People filing a /petition claiming cheating/automation to get a camp spot cleared.)

The krono farmers are a total different type of player, but p99 had similar issues with RMT and EC trader barons. The p99 RMT market was deeper because it was potentially GM sponsored and characters were more easily sold or became "guild property" when players quit.

Agnarr was close to being a p99 killer, but no one really wanted that LDoN lock, the "truebox" rules were too easily bypassed, and the subscription scared away some users.

Longtime p99 players enjoy the lawyerquest raid conflicts and the rarity of "endgame" loot. TLP players enjoy the instances and the flood of raid loot. I could see a former p99 guild avoiding instances, but they would have a terrible time recruiting from regular TLP players.

Cheating is prevalent on both servers. The scale varies a ton, but even the "minor" p99 cheating like web sharing the boss scouts impacted which guild got to kill the boss.

At least the TLP devs/GM aren't as openly biased towards specific guilds. The devs/gms have also shown they're willing to make improvements when things get really messy.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Arven posted:

I find myself in a really weird spot now because I was planning on playing the TLP but it sounds like I'm pretty much wasting my time if I'm not using assist programs, and I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of setting up a Linux box or VM just to run it when I know I'll play at most a month or two.

Unless you're racing in open world it shouldn't stop you from having fun. You get to be safe when the next ban wave occurs. Guilds that hunt open world will probably have someone else running something.

The latest epic 1.0 changes removed many of the contested bottlenecks. Loot is nodrop so the RMT people will have a harder time camping them for profit.

Most casual guilds will 100% focus on AoC raids. You can also pop unused instances for weekly dungeon crawls to exp in peace if the /picks are too contested.

The TLP game is incredibly casual friendly up until Luclin/PoP. You can play 3 hours a week and stay current. The trick is to find a raid guild that raids efficiently.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Another ban wave went out last night. I don't know if it's new, but the emails specifically mentioned "third party software".

The bans seem to have hit every server including Rizlona. It seems Daybreak has "altered the terms" of the Rizlona rule enforcement without warning.

We'll see if they apologize/announce anything, but they are going to lose a lot of money/subscriptions.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Indecisive posted:

farming sky with a raid of lvl 40s sounds like torture. god imagine fighting the bee with the insane aoe dot for 10 minutes. people gonna be coming up with new exploits

The higher ratio weapons will destroy sky on Vaniki. The bees will be hard, but the /rewind pull already trivializes the fight. Being able to bind at sky AoC will allow dead people to corpse rush the boss. (Going to be awesome death loops when human guards get trained to AoC.)

Yelinak is annoyed by that long classic time, but people don't "have to" farm sky for weeks. The haste belts are worth the effort for non warrior melee/tanks, but a bunch of the quest items are replaced by kunark trash. The extra time is nice for people to form/join guilds. (IIRC the bees have a super rare drop for warrior belt so they never finish that quest.)

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

Am told you really don’t want to skip the armor it gives, or else I would be doing that and grinding frogloks for magic gloves.

They removed magic weapons. I assume you shouldn't need magic gloves.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Yes it was part of the body type update.

Those minotaur axes and other junk might be useful. It also means you shouldn't need magic shield (bash), feet (kick), or shoulders (slam).

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Verbose posted:

I was actually going to try Paladin in classic this time...do you just end up healing most of the time in the endgame? I know only warriors can tank raids right

Paladins are pretty chill for raiding. Similar to SK a lot of people coast by without ever tanking. Don't be afraid to tank, but try not to override another tank.

Paladins get the off/rampage tank jobs, but they do other stuff to. Group heals and cures are useful too. Paladins have some great group heals to help the weaker shm/dru healers. Pop and other expansions have swords that proc group heals.

Paladins are also great for stunning loose charm pets. In pop they get an AA stun that pushes without damage, which helps push mezzed mobs into a pile. (Other classes can push but they break mez.)

Paladins also get some early (pop?) target of target heals. You can splash heal main tanks without stopping dps. Main rotation involves stuns and either group/MT help. Lay on hands is also target of target so use it often.

They also get lull, root and a very good root spell in pop. It's very useful for ghetto crowd control and in some raid events.

The "no dps" complaint is mostly true. It doesn't matter because that's not your job.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Zil posted:

Yeah I don't think the handshake agreement is still in force though, at least based on one websites ban reports that do a lot to cut down on afking. They seem to be getting suspended just as much as the AFK farmers are.

The spring suspension waves targetted all third party users. We don't think it mattered which server, build, or how it was utilized.

Simply logging in made you a candidate for their "lottery". Our guess is that they randomly picked 15-25% per wave. We had a few players get hit in all waves, but almost everyone ate one suspension.

My guess is the Truebox TLP abuses will lead to another suspension wave. They'll suspend randomly again because they don't care.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Xpost for some guidance

P1999 raiding is terrible unless you enjoy fighting over scarce resources. Everything is open world and contested.

TLPs are close enough to the original and the changes are mostly for the better. The pick zones and the AoCs are huge improvements. The expansion pace is kind of fast, but it's slow enough that you still have time to complete most content.

Yelinak is where you want to go. It's a standard ruleset TLP that's fairly new.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Waroduce posted:

What are Day 1 releases like on TLP's? Like do people usually have pre-arranged groups or you can just go show up and /lfg it?

e: Can I use the parcel service on a TLP between myself and a different server? or no? specifically Krono

also, I don't seem to have some maps when I hit M. like Mistmoore and Butcherblock are empty maps....do I need to go somewhere to download them or something?

Expansion releases will be peak chaos. Many bored players will return and the tryhard guilds will be rushing content. The serious guilds will have groups roughly prearranged, but there will be a lot of pickup groups. Many players are not rushing and will take it slower.

Some people might do the low 50's in the Hole, but Chardok and Sebilis should have plenty of groups. Karnor's Castle and Howling Stones might have some people, but KC exp sucks and HS requires a rarer key.

There is probably going to be an experience bonus this weekend too. Experience bonuses commonly increase server populations so you'll have more people to group with.

You can't parcel across servers. Character server transfers can be purchased, but you can't transfer "backwards" to a server on a previous expansion.

The in-game default maps are bad. The "brewall's" and "goode's" map packs are very popular. There is a dropdown list on the maps page so you can have multiple map sets to pick from.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

RCarr posted:

The whole applying to guilds is such a joke. Just send me an invite if I want to join. I’m playing a video game not working for your company.

A fun side effect is all the data for web/Discord crawler bots. Set an alert for the competitors' applications and get notified before a member DKP dumps and gquits. Those were my favorite players to remove.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

I believe (but could be wrong) that "Relaxed" means you can now run up to 3 boxes on one computer, but no more. I would assume you can then use any software you want on them, including ISBoxer, since Macroquest is allowed on them as well.

I also missed one that says it works on Truebox! https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/ionbc-truebox.2463/

I haven't tried it myself, but the Redguides guys are legit and as trustworthy as you could hope for

MacroQuest is a bannable program regardless of server, flavor, and how it is used. The bans won't be immediate, but will eventually occur.

Relaxed truebox removes the single account per computer restriction. Third party applications that broadcast commands are still illegal.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Stats get so bloated race should barely matter. If you play past Planes of Power pick the coolest looking race.

Some expansions dig into the evil/good alignment. It's a pain when your boxes have a mixed alignment.

Make friends with an enchanter for the best race "project illusion".

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Richlove posted:

Fair warning. Once you go down the RG rabbit hole, there is no going back. It turns EQ into a whole new fun experience where you want to constantly tweak and run your group/raid through content you never completed before solo.

RG is awesome until your account and computer(s) get flagged. It doesn't matter "how" you use it the suspension will eventually occur. Then it will keep occurring until you quit. It's usually 7 (or 30) days, but they time suspensions with expansion releases so it's a buzzkill.

A legal supported box setup would make a killing profit wise. All they need to do is the movement, targeting, and some limited broadcast commands. Let players pay to 6 box and direct suspensions towards the people automating raids.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
I had low expectations, but the Oakwynd FTE changes work a lot better than I expected.

Trains are no longer an issue in most cases. The mobs run right by your camp. They slowly return to their spots and mostly ignore you. I did have a few trained NPCs cast heals onto my fight (on their way back), but they didn't stick around to fight.

The trains are actually kind of fun now. They are usually split apart enough for you to pull specific mobs out. An organized effort could train the entire zone and have a second group snipe the named.

The FTE changes also added a delay when NPCs spawn. Monsters now wait a few seconds before attacking. It's annoying at first, but I started to enjoy it. I hated the "room spawns" that were attacking before I could see them on screen.

This is my first Monk, but feign death seems overpowered with FTE. A single FD instantly clears all agro. I remember monks waiting for monsters to "forget" them, but there's no waiting with FTE.

I don't plan to raid on Oakwynd, but FTE seems good from a casual perspective. Removing trains is against the "spirit of EQ", but they caused serious grief to other players.

I wish the Legacy experience bonuses made more sense, but the server has other good things. The FTE changes, character specific AoCs, tradable heirloom loot, and evolving bonuses (exp, loot, cash, spawn time) will make this a great server for alts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

xZAOx posted:

I'm still kind of amazed that every year they do new TLPs, and people still swarm to play the first 3-5 expacs every time.

New servers aren't always new players. The initial population surges because of RMT.

Server launches include a combination of RMT sellers, classic to PoP recyclers, ruleset surveyors trying new rules, name reservers preserving "their" name, and players actually planning to call a server home.

The initial expansions are also stupid easy for the time investment. It's relatively trivial to get 50/60 and start selling items for Kronos. A lot of recyclers won't admit this, but they only enjoy the game when it's easy.

People need to stop paying for RMT, but that will never happen. Adults with jobs see no issues paying Krono ($13?) for GEB/FBSS.