Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If you log back into an old account, which is now the "silver" free to play, what happens to your backpacks since you're limited to 6 or whatever? I know my characters on Zek have all their slots filled, as well as bags in the bank.

Granted, 90% of the stuff they have are items that "Oh I think this is probably going to be used in a quest, since its MAGIC/LORE/NO DROP and won't sell to a vendor, so I might as well keep it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ckwiesr posted:

See the parcel dude. It's in the new patch notes.

I guess I should have clarified...I know they mail you the stuff, but how long does it sit there? I legitimately have all bag slots filled in the bank and on my characters, would take a ton of housekeeping to make room.

Although being able to click items from bags is nice, since I always had one slot open for a clicky (PvP server, gotta have something ready...)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

xZAOx posted:

Grats man! Granted, Ragebringer was often known as "Freebringer", as the easiest 1.0 epic in the game, lol. But it's a sweet weapon for it's time.

Man, when I played again for a bit last year (or was it the year before?), I remember how excited I was to get my Bard's 1.0. Sure, the defiant armor I bought from the Bazaar for 200pp had better instrument modifiers than it did, and the Defiant weapons had better stats, but me from 1999 was still inside, and giggling with glee at the musical notes. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is it still $25 per character to transfer?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LDONs on Rallos Zek were huge...you got to XP without having to worry about getting attacked (which, if you were in a PK guild, was a constant thing to look out for), and the augs, no matter what the stats, were highly sought after because when you applied them to gear the gear became no drop. That meant you couldn't get it looted off you if you got killed.

Of course, it sucked as a PK'er for the same reasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just built my new powerhouse computer (I5, 8gb of RAM, SSD)...I think I'll do my annual nostalgia trip through EQ...though I suspect the loading screens will still take just as long, despite the computer. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Love You! posted:

GOTCHA

want to fix loading screens? Check this out:

Go to options, graphics, advanced. Set Memory Mode to Least Memory Usage.

Then send Ubuh a tell in-game, you jerkface

Haha...probably not playing anytime soon, I'm currently hooked on Star Wars. But I see less and less people playing it, and more and more coming back to EQ...crazy...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hoohah posted:

All sorts of crazy nostalgiac stuff...

Man, my eyes teared up just reading that. Made me wish I still had my giant 3 ring binder filled with maps printed out from eqatlas.com, with important locations written down ("Possible Quillmane spawn point?").

Of course, that guide is 95% applicable, except I leveled on Rallos Zek, where you could be slain repeatedly for inspecting someone, and couldn't go AFK without the fear of losing your shiny breastplate...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DarkStryke posted:

That was the true gem of it all, the mystery of the game was it's greatest strength (and largest sense of frustration). It also pushed out the best expansion content any game has seen thus far, Scars of Velious.

I don't think I'll ever be a part of something as large as the Coldain ring war event again, at least not to the scale it felt. That is by far the fondest memory of it all, and there are way too many to try and recount.

Oh man, I remember the brutal camp when I got my Eyepatch of Plunder. Again, on a PVP server, that camp was 10x scarier than on a blue server. Not only did you have to sit there for 20+ hours, but you couldn't even safely go AFK because you'd have to be on the defensive 100% of the time. But when you got it...it was awesome. No Drop meant no one could loot it off you if you got ganked, and the proc was amazing for its time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Love You! posted:

I NEVER managed to get that piece of poo poo, but at least i had some good tussles

I was obsessed with clickable items, they were just so cool. My Rogue had as many of the illusion masks as I could get...including the half-elf one that was a stupid camp. Bought all the Mrylokar/Donals stuff I could for my characters, as stupid as some of the procs were...they were clicky!

My favorite PVP item was the necro Words of Darkness. Not too many people had it because it wasn't that great of stats, and the click was only the low level life -> mana conversion. But it was an instant cast, and could be clicked from the inventory slot. So if I got into PVP, I'd click it and that way mez wouldn't stick since it was considered a DOT.

Used that item the entire time I played my necro. Always had an empty inventory slot for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I've always wanted to try one of those, but I'm on Luclin and don't have one million plat, so it will never happen. I'm keen to play another wizard, and I would love to level up to about 60 in only Vanilla zones with that little bugger.

I know that Mana Robes from Trakanon are shite, but I still want one just because.

I remember trading a Robe of the Ishva for a Manastone once, and logging that character off for 6 months because I didn't want to get bombarded with /tells from the dude when he realized what a horrible trade that was.

Although at the time the Robe was rare, because I was the only one getting it for 6 months - literally. Had my necro camped at the Ishva Mal and a timer set up so I knew exactly when he'd respawn...took 5 minutes to kill him, and would do the whole "drop lore item on ground have alt pick up". Made a ton of $$ off Summon Corpse and Robe of the Ishva.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RCarr posted:

That's a great idea. A wizard with a Manastone and a healer merc is probably unstoppable in the old world.

Yeah, but how many zones does it actually work in anymore? The last time I played and had it (Before I let a friend use the account and got it banned), there were only a few zones left it even worked in - I imagine it's even less now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

No More Heroes posted:

I wonder if you can still lifetap the eye of zomm..

That used to be one of my favorite tricks...I can't remember what I had that clicked EOZ on my Necro, but I used it all the time to summon, then used the lifetap over time.

I know I had a bizarre collection of clickies on him because a lot of them you could click from inventory even if they weren't usable by class. I had the Mage broom for instant cast reclaim energy...they eventually changed most of them, but I had all sorts of tricks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Love You! posted:

i play on zek sometimes with a fellow goon, but it's kinda off and on since we dont know people that still play there. I can be convinced to do so, however, because zek is the greatest.

Hahaha I was going to make fun of you for immediately responding to anyone who mentions Zek like you saw a bat-signal, but then I realized that I'm still reading this thread and haven't played in years...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Love You! posted:

Hey at least i do still play, you're just some sort of terrible leech person who feeds off my lonliness

I was close to coming back this summer, then I started to see the posts of "Well, apparently no one plays anymore..."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I played EQ hardcore from around 98-03. I decided when I quit that I wouldn't hop on the WoW bandwagon, because I had wasted SO MUCH TIME playing EQ and I didn't want to get addicted again.

Last year, I played the second MMORPG I ever played, which was Star Wars:TOR. It amazed me how simplified MMOs have gotten compared to EQ. People complaining that travel wasn't quick enough, that your "quick travel" had a 30 minute cooldown. I remember the hour long boat rides in EQ, much less teleporting anywhere you wanted to go.

It also surprised me how much more complex EQ was. In SWTOR, there was no real choices as to what you wore for gear and weapons. There was "Best in slot" items at the endgame, and no real variance. In EQ, there were thousands of items to choose from at every level.

No penalty for death, no penalty for PVP loss, it's really crazy. I understand that no one has time for the MMO timesink anymore, so all the games cater to the casual, but I think that's part of the "magic" that EQ had back in the day. We actually felt like we ACCOMPLISHED something when we hit 50. When we camped a rare item, we were the only ones that had it. Races had advantages, and when AAs came out you had to pick pretty wisely because there was no refunds...

I really don't think that kind of game would ever happen nowadays.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pilsner posted:

You're right and I'd prefer that too, but I've gotten so used to multiboxing, so much that even "only" 2-boxing feels lame, and paying for 3 or 4 gold subs is just madness. :(

How long til they start offering "3 for the price of 2" Gold memberships? :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I camped Stormfeather for something like 40 hours...on a PVP server, so I couldn't just go AFK for long lengths of time.

:(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

xZAOx posted:

You can also hit up the bazaar and see if one is on there. It does come from Kurn's Tower, and I can't imagine it's gone. You could also farm one up with your 80 stupidly easy.

Unless they upped the drop rate, I wouldn't say "stupidly easy". I camped that thing for 2 week straight, killing everything in the zone and never saw one drop. I ended up buying one for tons of plat, but it was well worth it for my forever-lvl 12 PK wizard. Infinite lvl 8 nuke was fantastic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pilsner posted:

You'll be fine. A lvl 8 nuke will really be nothing within a day of playing, and I'm sure there are upgrades out there with even better clicky nukes. With the fast regeneration functionality and/or a tank merc, you won't be hurting for mana either.

Heh, I was speaking from the past. My story was from ~2003. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

The rogue is enabled by default, it's the goblin! The only time you have to grind monster shrouds is if you want to cheese an OT Gate Hammer and open up the Evil Eye enchanter shroud so you can charm the dude in OT before handing him a jade

Do people still go after the OT hammer? I remember when I was playing it was a necessity (SO MANY SARNAK WAR BRAIDS!), but now there seems to be all sorts of teleports available with Veteran rewards and the POK.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

xZAOx posted:

I still had mine from back in the day, and I've found it very useful even now. There's other ways to get around as a non-porter, but most stuff has a long cooldown (like Origin, or this PoK staff). OT hammer has no cooldown, and there's a POK right there. Super useful.

Heh I remember getting it with an illusion somehow with my Rogue, so that he got the faction needed for the turn in but was still KOS in Overthere normally, so every time I used it I'd have to hope there wasn't a golem wandering nearby.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cycomatix posted:

Awwww yeah

Haha that was half the fun of playing my Rogue a billion years ago, trying to collect the drat illusion masks.

I think I had the Erudite, Iksar, Dark Elf, and Half Elf ones. Dear LORD the camp for the Half Elf one took forever, but I was a clicky addict with my Rogue. My bard too, actually...bard clickies were super fun because you could do them while moving. Which was amazing on a PVP server.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I remember being a bard in the beginning...I was super popular because I was drat good at twisting songs, and even swapping out instruments as needed during those songs.

And then Melody and Bandoliers came around and I became obsolete. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Not as far as I know, and if it's about doors, you can always glitchs through them by using shrink or an illusion clickie. For example, click an AoN (Amulet of Necropotence) to go skellie, autorun into the door, then remove the illusion - boom, you're now popped through the door. You can also shrink, camp hugging the door, then log back in, and you'll be able to walk forward, through the door. Weird that they still haven't fixed this.

I would guess that since it's a bug that no one complains about, and would only serve to upset those that still play, it's very, very, very low on their priority list to fix.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I remember I leveled a Mage up to like 34 JUST so I could have him summon swords for my Necro pet. This was before shared bank vaults, so (I think) I would do the terrifying "Hopefully find an uninhabited area, drop item on ground, log other character in and pick it up" trick.

Still wish I could get that account back to look through my old characters, but I let a friend use it when I quit and he decided duping would be awesome so the account got banned. :( Yes, I know leveling a character is easy nowadays but part of the nostalgia is looking at your 10+ year old characters. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I never played a mage past level 14 or so, but one thing I miss that used to be true was different mage pets being good for different things. As I remember it, the Earth pet was the modest-damage, tough tank that Rooted (for soloing), while Fire was the nuker/caster pet and Water was the high-DPS rogue pet for grouping with a proper tank. Air was the all-rounder that was fairly good at everything. These days, it's all about the Air pet all the time, and I wish that they had preserved that dynamic in modern EQ.

Didn't that pretty much go away once the Epic 1.0 came out? I think that was the only Mage pet people used, at least til I quit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Possibly, but at least up until the level cap went to 65 in PoP, the mage epic pet was hands-down the best mage pet in the game, so maybe that is a special case. Then again, the mage 1.0 was so loving hard that very few people had it. Even today, nobody bothers when you have to somehow catch up with Quillmane *and* get an item that only drops on the very last island of Plane of Sky. :suicide:

Oh yeah, I remember killing Quillmane with my Mage. He wasn't quite high enough level to do it alone, so I kited around until a warrior showed up and helped me finish him. As soon as he drops I see "AssholeWarrior has looted Pegasus Feathered Cloak". He says "Woot, always wanted one of those" and disappeared.

At least they added the loot messages...in the early days, you had no idea what dropped, you had to rely on the honesty of who was in your group. "Oh man, ANOTHER moonstone ring! Crazy!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

That is one of my worries as well, and a fully justified one to my mind. If they said to all the Test people "Okay, we're drastically changing this/shutting it down, but we will let you move all of your characters to other, standard servers for free", then that would be fine and we could come back to Luclin or set up a Goon presence on another server. Sadly, I do not have faith in any for-profit company to have that kind of common decency.

Didn't they already do that a few years back?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone ever had any luck getting an account unbanned? I think I asked this before, but I decided to try my luck with it. I had two accounts, and after I quit back in 2003ish someone got ahold of one of them and got it banned for exploiting.

I got to the point now where I have the account back, but I'm being asked to fill out a "Unban petition" form. Was wondering what the chances are?

As I said earlier in the thread, the account isn't anything spectacular that can't be redone in a week, but I want to have some nostalgia dammit!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yay! Got my account unbanned! Sure, it's just a lvl 60ish cleric, and has gear from 2004, but it's a moral victory!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Love You! posted:

How ddi you even get banned you big dummy

I had two accounts, when I quit back in 2003 I let one of my friends use my Cleric account for rezzes. He decided to do some exploiting with the account, and got it banned.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Nope, that's what the nerf was. Pre-nerf is instant. It's only useable by necro/sk though, so all those other classes are still stuck with no invis. Except monks, who get permanent invis until they zone from ID (ID is amazing)

Don't forget Bards! They get instant aggro drop / invis too!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Bards weren't in his list :colbert:

You win this round, but I'll be back! Mwahahahahahah

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

As someone who was a-barding long before it was cool (when you had to manually do your melodies), I was about to post this until I saw your interjection. Well done - bards forever!

I was barding before Fading Memories existed. :D

(Never got that high with him then...but still!)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Was looking at my equipment since I decided to log in for the first time since the game went F2P, and I see a lot of my gear is shaded purple with "prestige" noted in it. This is gear my bard is already wearing, and I see stats change when I take it off. Is there some sort of grandfathered in clause for gear you already owned that you don't need to go gold to use it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ponzicar posted:

Purple means that the aug is prestige, while the item itself is not, so you're only getting stats from the base item. I had a bunch of LDoN augs when I restarted after f2p, which are marked as prestige for some odd reason, despite being worse than just about every newer non prestige aug in the game.

Oh yeah, that's probably it. I had tons of augs from LDON days because they made your gear no-drop, which was awesome on Rallos Zek (item loot PVP)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Love You! posted:

Imagine a world where your bard can do everything he can do now, but with absolutely no fear of consequence

Yeah, I brought him back a few years ago and leveled to 71. Bard is really the best class for nostalgia purposes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Does the option to click from bags not apply if you're a F2P'er? I assume it was added in one of the latest expansions, not one of the first 17?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ponzicar posted:

Well, there's the classic and exciting "drop them on the ground and hope that nobody picks them up while you switch characters" method. Although since making a new account is free, you can always do that and alt tab between characters.

I would never want to do that again, but man that WAS exciting and scary back in the day. Especially on dial up. I used to go to the most abandoned zone I could find, get both characters into exactly the same spot (typed /loc just to make sure!) and hope it worked. I think I actually lost stuff once when I logged out and couldn't get back in. :(