Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I may jump in on this just to powerlevel something and revisit all the old zones from when I actually played this game in earnest. How high would I and my merc have to be to duo Velious raid content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So with character duping is it pretty easy to just get silly good twink gear on the test server? I kinda hit a wall on P1999 as far as how much free time I can justify spending on grinding levels so it'd be fun to take an express route.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Devor posted:

You get auto-granted any AA that you qualified for as you level up into it. So it's as if you maxed out your AA's that you could spend every level. At level 80 you would have all your 80 AA's.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...-6#post-3043254

That's actually kinda neat. I stopped playing when I hit 52 because I realized sooner or later I'd have to grind a fuckload of AAs when I just wanted to get powerful enough to stomp around all the old content from when I played for reals. Now I might actually do that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So what's the new path to getting into recent content going to be?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So how many AA points is this update worth and how many more would you have to earn to at least have "enough" for whatever the current content is? As someone who finds everything about the game past Planes of Power to be weird and alien I've found the apparent AA bloat to be the scariest thing about modern EQ.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I also just made a fresh zerker on test named Tolstov and would appreciate some of those millions in funbux you were talking about.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Most drastic change on my 61 monk is his combat HP regen is now almost as high as his tank merc.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Can you no longer start characters with heroic gear on the test server? I've tried several and no luck so far.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Had some leftover smedbucks so I bought a heroic character thing to play around with until the progression server opens. As someone who hasn't played much past PoP this poo poo is nigh-unfathomable. :psyduck:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nooooo, people on the official forums are already complaining that leveling is too fast on the beta server because they can get 10% exp off of a fire beetle at Lv.1. I know Daybreak said they weren't gonna do the 2% cap again like Fippy had but I really hope they don't listen to those mutants who think slow leveling is both good and important.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I was able to solo a monk equipped with gear taken from betabuff templates including a fungi tunic and a RBB 1-10 in a couple hours last night as something to do to earn the beta participation thingies. It's amazing to me that round kick and tiger claw are on separate cooldowns now so you can use both. Still might join the bandwagon and make a caster on live, though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Moop Moop posted:

What are these and how do I get that?

They're gems you can loot from anything that can give exp. When you click on them you set off a little firework and the server recognizes it. Click an unspecified number of gems (50-ish based on previous events) during the beta to flag your account for some sort of reward when Ragefire goes live. The easiest way to get them is to twink out a Lv.1 character with stuff you strip from betabuffed characters and murder blue/white/yellow cons for five or ten levels.

Betabuffing, btw, is when you use the following command on a Lv.1 character: "/betabuff classname 20-100(divisible by 5)". For example, if you do "/betabuff monk 55" you will turn whatever Lv.1 character you made into a pre-made Lv.55 monk template. If I remember right that particular one has a fungi tunic and an RBB but make a bunch of different characters and take whatever loot they have you can make good use of at Lv.1.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

This may be the first time I make a non-agnostic monk because having Freeport be my home city for the Origin AA and the Return Home button on the character select is just too drat convenient to pass up. If I join the bandwagon and make a caster it'll probably be a dark elf for similar reasons.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They just announced that Ragefire is scheduled to go live at 3pm PDT tomorrow.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Aw dang, even got off early today. Hope the server isn't down too long.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

Dont heroic characters start with 25,000 plat?

What a bunch of dumb assholes

From what I understand nobody was using heroic boosts intentionally, people were just spawning as them randomly when they made new characters but without any plat (that's a one-time thing even though you can delete a heroic character and re-use the token). Nerds are pooping themselves over some people getting buffs or a bit of poweleveling from the boosted characters and I honestly couldn't care less.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Truly we are god's chosen people.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lord Binky posted:

Some people were saying they started at level 1 with full spells and gear. This is incredible

Yeah, at this point I can easily see them saying "gently caress it" and wiping.

I wonder what's causing all this. The beta didn't have any of this stuff.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

unclenutzzy posted:

Why are people freaking out so much about names on the tlp?

Because they're terrible.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Managed to get in and level a monk to 3. Luckily they boosted the skill caps for weapon skills at lower levels so bare fists won't be terrible come Lv.7.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dirt posted:

Server is coming down in a bit, I guess they are adding some code to auto boot AFK people.

Or they're just gonna bring the servers down now and then to filter out the AFK people using macros to stay online.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SpaceGoku posted:

Mana regen seems a hell of a lot better in Ragefire than it ever did when I played EQ before they added the rest bonus.

Maybe I'm just remembering it feeling a lot worse during then-contemporary play because I'm playing multiple characters and can tab out, instead of being stuck in one character with a locked fullscreen game.

You start with meditate now and the per-level skill cap is much higher, at least for the first few levels.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I kinda wish I bought a krono instead of all those gems for the mage pet focus items but oh well. I wonder where they'll be a month from now.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Itzena posted:

On the one hand, the "fixes" to raid boss zones are hilariously wrong-headed and backwards but on the other nerfing pet classes, SKs, and monks on raid bosses is pretty funny.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/raid-changes-coming-in-july.223880/

It doesn't sound like they're being nerfed at all. You just need to bring more healers along with yet more pet classes/SKs/monks.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They're doing it again today as well. So much for reaching 50 on my days off. :shrug:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I was solicited to join RoE a few days ago so I figured "what the hell" and signed up. It was pretty depressing the first couple days but when word of forced rotations came up I decided to stick around. Lo and behold we killed post-buff Innoruuk tonight and are scheduled to take a crack at CT tomorrow. Not only are we raiding properly now we're pissing all kinds of people off by apparently being unworthy of our place on the rotation. And we probably were! But that's awesome because now a bunch of nerds are upset.

Funny thing about Innoruuk. His spawn window began at 3:20am Pacific and the window lasts for 16 hours. He spawned at 7:20pm on the dot. People were so drat impatient when he finally spawned we jumped the gun before we were ready and wiped at 12%. But we took our sweet rear end time to recover and beat him the second try.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

We got CT down to 15% tonight before he went FFA and TL came in and killed him. Oh well, good practice. Hopefully our leadership will tighten things up before we try again because everything just took way too long to do.

xZAOx posted:

I haven't kept up with all the drama - what happened to the progression servers being the wild wild west no rules FFA thing?

That lead to one giant megaguild making GBS threads on everyone so that stopped.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 30, 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Our turn for Inny in the rotation popped at 1:18 in the loving morning. We cobbled together about 60 people then botched the first pull. Instead of trying again a bunch of us said "this is loving stupid" and went back to bed, leaving TL and Apok to fight over him.

I wonder what the rotation on Lockjaw is like. I don't much care for waiting an extra three months for kunark but this 3 hour window after spawn poo poo is for the birds.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mnoba posted:

It's 2 hours on Lockjaw and at the 2 hour mark it becomes open to all so I guess your are stuck failing at 15 year old content and the rest of the server laughing at you.

Rotation Mobs still alive two hours after spawning become FFA - This is the only factor in making a mob FFA - Wiping does not make a Rotation Mob FFA. At the 2 hour marker, the mob becomes FFA, even to current engagements.

Well we just killed CT no problem so there's that. I just don't think it would be terribly against the spirit of the game if they devs nudged the spawn timers for raid targets closer to prime time when people with lives can actually make themselves available.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

gently caress that, for the same $34.99 you can buy a 40 slot bag and 3 25% exp boost potions on the progression server. Just one per account, though. Don't wanna ruin the bag economy.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

TLP is fine but i stopped playing after labor day weekend because the exp bonus spoiled me.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Instancing the raid bosses alone will probably make the server way more popular than the current ones. I actually wanna play again.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I've got an old laptop that can run the game okay so I can dual box right out of the gate. Can't decide between druid/mage for max solo utility or enchanter/mage for something a bit new.

Maybe mage/mage.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

How do necro pets compare to mage pets in terms of damage output?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Some interesting changes to aggro on test right now.

quote:

- Adjusted how NPCs choose a melee target in relation to player pets:
- - It is now possible for a pet to be the target of an NPC's melee attacks if it has the highest aggro with other players in range.
- - This behavior can be adjusted on a per NPC basis and will currently be disabled for all current and previous raid difficulty NPCs.
- - It is additionally possible for some NPCs to ignore the hatred generated by pets and instead attribute a portion of that hatred toward the owner. This behavior will be in play on raid targets on progression servers.
- Adjusted how NPCs choose a melee target when they are rooted: NPCs will now choose to hit the target that they hate the most that is within melee range. Previously NPCs would simply hit the nearest hated target.

So that's that for pet walling raid encounters. On the plus side you can actually use a mage pet as a proper tank in groups with melee characters. However...

quote:

- Made further adjustments to the power curve of pets prior to the release of the Shadows of Luclin expansion.

...maybe that won't be quite so viable? I'm gonna hop on test and do a little contrast/compare with my 52 mage and see what's different.

Edit: Lv.49 water pet still hits the same as it does on live.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 6, 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Pets being able to tank for PCs is making me consider monk/mage. Monk chain pulls to the pet and the mage keeps the monk in throwing weapons/bandages/weightless bags. Certainly makes breaking into camps by myself easy.

Of course, I could just play two mages and have two OP pets murder everything without any faffing about.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 7, 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm curious... why do you think that there will be lots of bards? Even with /melody, and I'm still not sure if that will be available, I kind of doubt that. They were by far the rarest class in early EQ, which I can say from ample experience, and I don't see a (huge) convenience feature like /melody making a big difference.

Melody was on Ragefire so it'll almost certainly be on the new one.

Do bard songs affect pets? Necro/Bard might be fun.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Am I right in thinking necro/shaman would have pretty good synergy? The shaman can heal/regen the necro while it does all the legwork with lich up so mana should never be an issue as they gently caress things up with dots and a buffed-out skeleton.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Honestly I'll be surprised if I'm still playing after Velious and anything past PoP era is completely foreign to me. That said I am having a tough time deciding between druid and shaman just because ports were so dang convenient when I played mage/druid on Ragefire.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The ugly-as-poo poo blue one should run it just fine but I doubt EQ would run on chrome OS so get a windows machine.