Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
In as Tregos the mighty mighty Beastlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I miss my old EQ Atlas book thing that came out when PoP was released. Had every zone in the game with pics and lore. I would spend hours just reading the descriptions of each zone.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

meat gnome posted:

So were those special mercenary races underperforming compared to regular ones and are now on par, or were they on par and are now superior?

I would say probably on par now. I have the bloodbone tank and yeah, he did kinda suck at keeping agrro some times.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Two box. Seriously. I understand there are those special people out there who just want to play one character, but groups even at endgame are few and far between. Having two characters + two mercs means there is never a time when you're sitting around looking for a group or soloing slow as syrup. You can drop one to group if you want, but at least then you have the easy option of ALWAYS having something decently progressive to do. We have a couple groups going every night in guild, but if you're outside their level range, they're full, or you're wanting to do something at a different time, you're really hosed. It appears slightly possible to sometimes find a group in HoT Courtyard/Feer at 85+, but it's still a crapshoot and it looks like most people sit with their thumbs up their asses LFG and watching box groups kill.

I'm actually one of those weirdos that has no interest in two boxing, and thus far have had little problem finding groups at almost all level ranges so far (currently sitting at 65 with 120 or so AA). Maybe I've just been lucky, no idea, but most hot zones seem to have plenty of people willing to group, and even obvious multi-boxers will snag you into their group for the bonus if you ask nicely. The key is to not be anti-social and send polite tells, and if you are declined throw them/their mercs what ever unique buffs you have just to be nice anyways. A lot of times an hour down the road you'll get a group invite from the very same people/person.

Having said all this, I just started playing again and 65 is my highest character ever (I got a monk to 52 before I quite just after PoP came out) so I have no idea about the 70+ game. But from what I've seen, finding a group if you want one isn't so terribly hard.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

WTF BEES are you on our server? Once the F2P rush died off, most of the lower level goons have been pretty much leveling exclusively with guild-only groups (which is an awesome thing, that we have enough regular players this long after F2P that it's possible). I can't remember the last time any of us high levels grouped with anyone non-guild ever, which may be because we all box and are assholes. Buffing a group to try to bribe them into giving me a pity invite an hour later is the thing I hated about EQ before I started boxing, honestly.

I've yet to memorize/research who is who on SA/in guild, but I'm on Luclin with <Ominous Latin words>. Yeah, a few of my groups were guild groups, especially in The Steppes so far, but I've found plenty once I hit 40+ that weren't guild affiliated. Like I said 3/4 the battle is just sending a tell or two. As for the group buffing, I kinda just take joy in buffing people (especially newbies by the PoK book in Blightfire) and will do it regardless of wanting to group or not. I know I get all giddy when some nice cleric/druid/shaman/enchanter hooks me up with 3+ hour buffs for no reason, so I try to spread the love, so to speak.

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 18, 2012

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

A couple friends and I have started up on the new Agnarr and are having a fun time. Managed to get a monk to 4, and 20pp or so in my pocket via bone chips and a nice necromancer in East Commons, which in turn allowed me to get some magic gloves so I can punch magic things.

I think back when I was a teenager it took a solid week to get where I am now.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I also made a dude on Firiona Vie, got to 11 super fast, and managed to make my way to Unrest to mess around in my favorite MMO dungeon ever, only to be quad'd by a ghoul for 1500+ dmg each hit. Is their some kind of event going on or what?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I started up again VERY casually on the FV server (it says RP preferred, but nobody does). The server itself is nicely active, lots of general chat chatter, auctions, etc going on. The community is decently helpful and nice.

What's cool about FV is 99% of the items are free to trade, which means raid items etc that would normally be "No Drop/No Trade" are openly tradable to other players. That means, if you've saved the money, you can deck your guy out in literal raid gear for what ever level you're at, making you feel like a super badass every 5-10 levels past 60.

As a live, non-progression server, you will be soloing with your merc until the 80s at least for the most part. I however managed to group several times from 1-80 just by saying hi to other people in zone and tossing them some buffs. This is fine though, as the pre-80 levels fly by on live.

If you're interested, I'm Traygek on FV, just shoot me a tell and I can hook you up with some starting cash etc. Just remember on the FV server the language your character speaks matters, and the language everybody speaks is Elvish.

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 1, 2017

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Sadly I don't have the time, or any friends interested enough, to actually play, but man watching these guys on Twitch on this bonkers new progression server is just the biggest nostalgia bomb. Probably the only thing stopping me is no Kunark/Iksar yet. I may have to roll a monk when the time comes and punch some leeches....

Edit: I'm also the weirdo that fell absolutely in LOVE with Beastlord when it came out. I love pet classes, I loved monk, and the mix was just absolutely perfect. Shame you would have to wait for Luclin.

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 29, 2021

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

shirunei posted:

You can just race switch to iksar when kunark drops, end up doing this like every TLP. thems lizard robes ya know very fancy not like stupid smoothskins!

Valid, but I actually want to level as an Iksar in Kunark. I want to punch leeches and listen to that squish noise they make.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

IMO they went after "realism" way too hard and landed squarely in the uncanny valley. The old models were blocky but they were crisp, had fairly decent animations (for the time), and the skins could actually sport a fair amount of detail. The new models look really....muddy, and the animations are laughably jerkey and weird. The weird offhand attack animations come to mind, body stays completely rigid and the left arm just kinda darts and fails out way too fast.

The newer monster models are no better. A great example of an old monster model that stands the test of time would be the oozes from Dalnir or CoM. Really simple but they looked great, and had nice animations that flowed together during combat. On the other side of the coin we have new spiders. Sure they're more detailed, but they're way too stocky and once again the animations are too rigid and jerky. I will say they did a good job updating snakes though.

Finally, why are ALL THE COLORS on anything newer than Velious so drat washed out most of the time? I'm dicking around on FV right now, leveling a BST for the hell of it and I was in some zone called Blackfeather Roost and everything was just the blandest brown, and the harpies were just a flat, boring, monochromatic purple color.

Edit: Additional gripe, the Iksar models.

Iksar is far and wide my favorite race in any game ever, period. The lore, the look, the building esthetic, everything is just so good and is the reason Kunark will go down as some of the best gaming I've ever enjoyed (also helps I was in my teens at the time). My only gripe was the original model's 2h slashing animation. It was frankly just the worst, and when I made an Iksar SK twink back in the day I actually opted for one of the decent 2hb options for that very reason.

Then came Luclin and.....I mean good lord. How do you look at the old model, with all the in game artwork, monster/ghost/skeleton models, and go "You know what would be cool? What if we made Iksar look like a lovely, rejected art concept for a mid 90s Land of the Lost reboot?". The other models were horrid, lifeless, bulgy doll people but the Iksar were just.......uhg.

Then Everquest 2 came out and knocked it out of the park. They literally took the old model and updated it, and it came out pretty fantastic. Same general head/body shape, just with more pixels and detail. How hard was that?

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 4, 2021

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

I’ll never forgive them for getting rid of old school skeleton models.

I actually like what seems to be the LATEST skeleton models, since I feel like they just updated the original.

There was a dark time from Luclin until I don't know, where they updated the skeletons with just the worst model imaginable. Giant, doofy, Reese Witherspoon chins and weird, static, giant flipper hands.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I follow this thread because I'll occasionally futz around on live and it's fun to read, but I need some clarity on something. How much $$ is a krono in real money? What with all the crazy boxing talk etc, has this game basically become by the whales, for the whales? Could somebody even feasably get up to speed in the end game without dropping hundreds of dollars?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I swear "Lavastorm" and "Skyfire" are all time top tier volcano area names in any game for me.

I keep my sub for this game active because every so often I just want to level 1-85 or so, but then I kinda lose interest when I run into the complexity after that point, especially trying to figure out how to simply GET to some of the "newer" areas. I just love moloing through all the old places from when I was a kid.

Example: right now I have a druid that just hit 40 on FV, and I'm just tooling around in my second favorite zone ever (City of Mist) feeling like an absolute baller all decked out in gear that was frankly unthinkable back in the day. Like, capped stats at 40? Weapon better than an epic? Madness....

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

RCarr posted:

Also, Everquest is certainly not “in real life.”

To this day I still have EQ dreams, mostly waking up in a RL version of the newbie log in Nektulos or the starting area in Swamp of No Hope to the right of the Cabilis entrance. It's interesting because on the whole I've played WAYYYY more WoW than EQ, but EQ is the one I dream about.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Been reading this thread again, and after starting a new job I needed a more chill experience than Path of Exile was giving me, so I decided to fire it up and do the fun molo thing I like to do. I pretty much just level a character until I reach a point where I need other people and stop, or I just don't want to deal with learning all completely new zones (in it a good bit for the nestalgia).

I usually do this with a Beastlord because I've adored the class since it came out, but this time I went with a shaman because I've never played one, and the synergy with the tank merc seemed like it would be cool. I purposely dont look up the spells, nor do I pay attention when I buy them so I'm surprised with what I get every level (it used to be every 5, when did that change?).

I just hit 61 and am tooling around in PoF (which is hilarious to me, back when I was a kid the planes were some incredible, unreachable goal) and it's pretty crazy (to me) just how strong the player is with a merc, defiant gear, jewelry from the defiant vendor, potions, tribute, and auto granted AAs. I got jumped by 3 red con spiders at once, and since my brain is still old EQ, I was ready to make a run for it when I noticed my mercs hp pretty much wasn't going down. I still like to single pull even though I'm sure I can do things much faster, but that's not what I'm here for.

Anybody have any cool QoL tips for shaman? Buffing every hour or so is kind of a pain (but fun, I always missed buffing in other mmos) so if there's a way to streamline it that would be great. I figure I have another 25 levels of fun or so before I hit the grouping wall, so if there's anything particularly cool I should see or get between 60 and 85/90 I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

blatman posted:

the best pro-tip i have for a class that has to manage a lot of buffs is to learn to love saved spell sets

It's.... It's so good. All this time....