Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just read it all - awesome job.

I want to start a new toon, but I hate the free classes. I think I'll dust off my 65 monk that has like a whopping 5 AAs. Sounds like the first stuff I should do is get a merc, grind out some more AAs, get some defiant gear, then go pillage some old-world dungeons just to show them who's boss.

Too bad he's on EMarr :(.

Edit: moving some info I posted later in the thread to here, so I can direct people to it easier when the questions comes up.

14 Slot WR bag
From OP: "Search the bazaar for "Unexpanded Tailored Legendary", and buy any type that suits you. Now go buy Abu-Kar's Arcane Solution from any (Tailoring Supplies) merchant, combine the solution and the bag in a loom or sewing kit, and bam, you have a 14-slot bag."

However, before you can combine it, you have to go to the guild lobby. Go to the NW corner, click on the gate, and pick any of the things in that list, and hit "go". Inside there, look for Garik Nogflop, and buy "Garik's Secrets of Bag Expansion". Right click it, scribe it, then you can make the combine in the loom behind him.

Parcels
If you had an existing account and rejoin as a Free-to-play account, you'll notice you only have 4 or 6 inventory slots now, instead of 8+ that you may have had. To get bags / items that may have been in those slots, when in Plane of Knowledge, hit your "Find" button (on the map screen is one spot if you can't find it), and sort the left column. Find the guy labeled "Parcels", and you'll get a magical glowing path to take you right to him. There's also a Parcels person in our guild hall (go to PoK, Guild Lobby, go to the north wall, and pick the door on the north west).

Legends of Norrath (LoN)
LoN was SoE's attempt at a card game. If you're not interested in playing it, you should still check it out once to see what free things you may have in it. Most people should have at least 50 free "packs" of cards, and each pack may have a loot card in it. The loot card can be anything from "fun" items like illusions, to decoration items, to experience potions, to mounts, and other things.

To use it, hit the big rear end EQ button in-game, and then hit "Legends of Norrath". Hit "Play". At the bottom, you'll see "Collection". There's a drop-down menu at the top - select "Redeemable Items". The first thing you see should be your packs of cards, and it'll say "50" under it. Right click and pick "redeem". Go through the screens. If you're not sure what pack to pick, you can see here what loot cards are in each type of pack to see if you want to stack one over the over (http://legendsofnorrath.station.sony.com/ - card sets on the left).

Yes, you have to go through this horrible UI for every pack. Redeem all your packs first. Then use the left/right arrows until you see your packs, right click, and select "Open X packs". At least you can batch open them.

After they're all opened, again put the menu to "Redeemable Items". When you find something you want, right click again and tell it "Redeem". Now it's in your "/claim" window, so type "/claim". You may need to hit the "Refresh" button. Then you got your free poo poo!

Disciplines
Even if you've played before, you may find all your melee disciplines gone. Hit Alt+C to bring up your Combat Abilites as they seem to be called now, and hit the little "S". That will show you what discs you have, and you can make hotkeys as you want.

To buy your new ones (or rebuy your old ones that have disappeared for some drat reason), open your Find window again in PoK, and go to "Vivian the True". She'll be upstairs in the library. Hail her, and she will give you a quest to go to your disciplines vendor, or you can just run around and find it yourself.

As a new played I found them overwhelming, but what seemed to work out best was sorting by cost, and buying the cheapest ones until I got the ones of my level (they get pretty expensive). Some will be out of order though, so you may want to check a few ahead (just right click to see what level it's for).

Changes to gear
Gear now has a "required" and "recommended" level. If you're under the recommended level (listed on item details), the item will not be at it's full power. Click the "Modified" button on the item details to toggle between it's "full" power, and it's scaled down stats for your level.

Ever see stats with "+X" to the side? Like "Strength: 20 +3". The +3 is "heroic stats", and allows you to go over your stat cap. If you buy defiant gear, you'll probably notice you're capped on drat near everything really easier. So heroic stats, and the long list of mods on the right side, are what's important these days.

Zone Guide and other new travel
Don't know where to go, or how to get there? When you bring up the map, hit the Zone Guide button. You can sort by name (but remember some zones have multiple names - like The Hole / Ruins of Old Paineel), hit Set End, then Activate. That'll give you a window with a list of zones to travel through. You can also use it as a zone browser if you want to find new zones in a level range. It's not perfect though, but it's generally very useful.

You can also go to the Guild Lobby, and see the gnome teleportation guy. He sells items - read the name to get an idea of where it'll send you. After you buy it, give it back to him, and step on the pedastal next to him. It'll remain active for a little while for anyone else. Sometimes going through him is much quicker than what the Zone Guide will tell you, so learn where he can toss you.

You can also use the Priest of Discord to get to PoK quickly any time. Find one and tell him "wish to go". He'll send you to Dranik's Scar (Omens of War expansion I think?). Once there, turn around and find another Priest of Discord. Tell him "go home", and boom, you're in PoK in front of the library.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just realized that Journeyman mercs aren't on the F2P model. It's hard to tell since patching the server apparently means you have to shut down your entire website.

How horrible are the Apprentice mercs? Do you have to do the same quests get them from Tier 1 to Tier 5 (is it even worth doing?)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Brought up the old 65 monk with 12 AAs.

Dropped a few thousand pp on defiant gear in the bazaar, and all my melee stats are already maxed. Bought a pair of cheap defiant weapons that made my old raid gear look like poo poo.

I still get my rear end handed to me pretty heartily though. Definitely have to have a merc to even kill light blues. I hear about 60-70 monks doing things like solo'ing old raid dragons, which I'm not sure how that's possible. I'm guessing as I finish up replacing old gear (except my 41% haste feet, apparently that's still decent) and get some AAs, I'll start to see myself become uber jesus monk.

Some of the FTP restrictions are annoying, and that's at Silver level. I can't sell anything in the bazaar, and I could see the AA cap getting annoying, but I got a lot more go before I reach it. Taking away 2 inventory slots was also annoying. At least a lot of is one-time account-wide purchases to remove. I wish server transfer was a one time freebie for returning players.

Also, the bazaar is pretty funny. I saw some cloak with +a billion stats to everything plus 30% haste selling for 200pp, 60k pp, and all prices in between. I went with the 200pp one.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
OP, you said your main was a monk. At 65, with basically no AA, have a quick run down on recommended AAs?

Also, picked up defiant everything. Anything else I should get? Mainly looking to solo explore and kill some old world bosses.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Apple Craft posted:

Can anyone enlighten me on any useful benefits there are for Silver over Free? Or is SoE simply not good at incentives? Because it seems like SoE has put all their eggs in the subscription basket and there's no way in hell I am going to sub EQ1 for $15/month.

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

We've pretty much determined anything below Gold is pure poo poo and not even worth trying. The restrictions are so severe you're basically useless

I find Silver to be playable. 6 bag slots sucks, but it's tolerable, compared to only 4 especially. And 1000 AAs are a lot more than 250. For someone who just wants to explore and see what's changed, 1000 AAs are a ton to get you started. And at that point the gold limit is 500pp per level, which in the 60s at least is still fine.

No Journeyman mercs sucks, but my Apprentice is still servicing well for grinding out the AAs at 65. I couldn't solo, but with the merc I can take on a couple of Hole mobs at a time. That's a noticeable improvement.

The only really lovely thing is the class restriction, but classes only cost like $3.00 I think. Just don't super-size your next fast food order. If you bought any station cash yesterday, that'd have made it $1.50.

If you're planning on going to max level or any near-current content, then I could see some of the restrictions start to be an issue. And you definitely couldn't raid with only 1000 AAs, I'm guessing. But Silver gets you a lot more for the solo game (at least until this merc can't handle his poo poo). I'm hoping that before then some guild groups do stuff then at least.

The only really lovely thing that I can't find a way to overcome is I can't set up a trader in the bazaar. No biggie, more for the guild bank!

Stanos posted:

Plus the constant popups are irritating. Tabbed out to two new firefox tabs telling me to go gold or silver.

I got 1 in-game pop-up in like a 3 hour play period. I get it in-game when I log on, click minimize, then I'm good for the rest of the session it seems. When I exit the game it pops up a browser window. That's pretty ignorable IMO.

Pilsner posted:

At level 65, don't spend more than 500p per item. You'll find a lot of non-Defiant items between level 65 and 75 at obscene prices, but they're not worth it. Stay the course until level 80, then invest in decent lvl 80 gear.

Thanks for the help man. I already spent more pp than that, but I really didn't care. I had about 29kpp on my toon from PoP, and at 65 with silver the pp limit is 32.5kppp. Since I plan on staying at 65 for a while (probably 200-300 AAs for funsies, then see if I want to push to 70), I figured I should burn through some pp anyways. Got everything except earrings and rings replaced, with 21kpp left, I think.

What are some good WR bags? I have 3 good ones from my old toon (Treasure Hunter's Satchel, 2 Leatherfoot Haversacks). Didn't know if there was an easy and quick way of getting another couple, besides buying a Tink bag for like 5k.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Search the bazaar for "Unexpanded Tailored Legendary", and buy any type that suits you. Now go buy Abu-Kar's Arcane Solution from any (Tailoring Supplies) merchant, combine the solution and the bag in a loom or sewing kit, and bam, you have a 14-slot bag.

drat, none up right now. I'll have to keep checking.

Edit: Sweet, some guy just put up a ton at 4k each.

Note - before you can combine it, you have to go to the guild lobby. Go to the NW corner, click on the gate, and pick any of the things in that list, and hit "go". Inside there, look for Garik Nogflop, and buy "Garik's Secrets of Bag Expansion". Right click it, scribe it, then you can make the combine in the loom behind him.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 18, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

SalTheBard posted:

I didn't see it :( Where is it?

I can't remember his name, but bring up your map, hit the "find" button, and sort by the left column. Scroll down until you find "Parcels" in the list, and hit whatever the button is and it'll make a little glowy trail that will take you right to him.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Been having too much fun all weekend.

Besides when grinding AA in a group with other goons, when there's no group I can find, I've decided to explore old dungeons that have light blue mobs (so I get exp plus to see something new).

So far I've explored Greig's End, Veskar, and Acrylia Caverns. The first two were fun, but Acrylia is horrible. And some of the zones to go through to get there looked really...dumb. But I never played during Luclin, so at least I'm seeing why people didn't like it.

But yeah, even the lovely zone was still fun. Got lots more dungeons to explore :D

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

lemonslol posted:

Groups start happening more in your mid 60's, but you also have to be willing to form a group. Dragon scale hills, is a pretty big mid 60's lower 80'zone, I think yesterday it had something like 95 people in it.

Yeah, I went there yesterday on someone's recommendation (probably yours!), and it wasn't the place for me. There were tons of people there, but they were all 95. There was maybe 5-10 people who weren't 95, and half of those were /anon, so who knows what level they were. The rest didn't respond to LFG requests, and everything else around me was red and scowling, so I moved on.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been too big a fan of pugs, even though EQ pugs generally aren't relatable to WoW pugs or whatever. I prefer guild groups, and failing that, molo'ing and exploring.

I'm not bitching about not finding a group, I just have a lot more fun dungeon crawling. And I'm not concerned with power-leveling my way through levels/AA. I actually like going to an old dungeon with light blues that I can handle pretty safely and seeing new dungeons. Not as big a fan of outdoor zones.

EQ is just a game where I like to take my time, be picky if I want to be. I'm not in a rush (but I'll always join someone for Hole or Ben's groups!)

Peechka posted:

We played the tutorial and it pretty much showed us how to play again without asking someone a thousand questions.

I still knew the basics of the game fine and how to play, and still had a thousand questions. As you keep going, there's just always tons and tons of new and changed things. Gear is pretty crazy now, tons and tons of new stats. Like a billion of AAs to sift through. Figuring out how things like the guild hall teleporter works, the NPCs that bind / corpse summon, where to find parcels, learning about new items, learning about some new quests. Then there's new stuff coming up ahead, like missions and what not that I don't really know anything about yet. People in the guild are awesome to help explain though, so thanks for putting with all my questions.

Some of the new stuff is really awesome though - like the maps, the zone guide, being to "find" people in a zone with a little trail, and the zone connection thing, hell yes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kortel posted:

How about those Ascending Angels? These guys are hilarious. Been more or less harassed since I "stole" a generic gnoll camp. Which was level 14. I've missed EQ.

As for equipment; i am playing magician. Should I worry about equipment or just use whatever I find? Only 24 at the moment.

They're *still* giving you poo poo? Lolololololol

Anyways, I'm newly back to the game but picked back up with my 65 monk, but I've seen people get to about 60 in a few days of casual play, so it doesn't seem too important. The general pattern everyone follows seems to be:

-Get the best tank merc you can (pay $5 for silver, get an A5 merc, or if you sub get a J1 merc)
-Take a nap while he powerlevels you to 60
-Grab your level 60 defiant gear

Before that, if you find usable defiant gear in the guild bank, by all means, grab it and use it, but noone really seems to fret over it too much. I'd guess as a Mage the only really important thing would be to stop by whatever that spell merchant guy is every 10 levels or so and buy everything new, especially your pet spells.

So in other news, big thanks to Kodaji/GodIsInTheTrees for all the help and assistance! Answering all my nub questions, farming me up a weapon for when I hit 75, and running me through several of my 1.5 fights. Pretty sure he's been helping all kinds of people out too, not just me by far. We unfortunately hit a roadblock last night when we found out, at midnight, that I apparently have to do all the Plane of Justice trials to get a 7th hammer key, lawl. So it sucks that it was unexpected, but the trials themselves sound pretty fun to do (except for running back through the jail every drat time), so it's both good and bad. Hopefully some other 60/70s goons will want to join me this evening to run some of them to get themselves keyed, or otherwise get a higher level to run me through them too :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Not Grover posted:

If I recall correctly, only one person per group has to have the key to the 7th hammer; I'll be on this afternoon and tonight, and I have one. Also, Kodaji is a nub.

You're correct for getting into the 7th hammer - but according to ZAM, if the monk isn't the one who has it, then it won't spawn the epic version.

The normal version can drop the piece too though, which would get me in, but according to Monkly Business, if the monk isn't flagged, he won't be able to loot the corpse.

So basically, they want to PoJ trails to be part of the monk epic. Along with tailoring and pottery being around 130. Baking needs to be up there too, but haven't seen a trivial on it yet. Weee!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Scurvard posted:

Play EQ and get down wit da clown y'all!!

Hah! I had said something in guild about that guy too.

Ckwiesr posted:

Level 61 with 12 AA.

Yeah, mine was 120-something days played, at 65 with 12 AA.

Peechka posted:

I have also heard of this headshot ability. Is this still viable today? Should I spend the AAs to get this ranked up? I have been searching around the net but info is sketchy. There are guides that have the ranger pulling tons of mobs and using some AOE bow spell to headshot every mob for quick AA. But I have heard rumors that this got nerfed?

I don't know dick about rangers, but I know I've heard several times, maybe even in the OP, about Headshot for rangers being awesome.

Mewcenary posted:

Well, that didn't go too well...

I made it to Sunder-rock? The hot zone. I'm a 65 Wizard, so grabbed a Tier III Warrior Merc, and tried to take on a blue con there.

Got my rear end handed to me.

Do I need a better Tier Merc?

I don't feel alone! People talk about solo'ing dark blues, and I've started to get some AA rounded up, got the best merc a silver can get (only A5), and full defiant gear - still get my rear end handed to me by dark blues. I can solo a light blue, but not efficiently. My post is only to say, no, it's not just you that sucks. It's just me and you.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Oh poo poo Flarestar, Vanguard's going F2P in a couple months. You know what we must do.

Keep your heresay talk out of our EQ thread! But yeah, I noticed it too hehe. I don't think I have enough time to do multiple MMOs! I want to play some EQ2 as well, but right now EQ has me tight in it's grips.

Being back at work sucks. I got lucky in that my work laptop died on Friday right when it went F2P, but I was back at work yesterday. So I'm back to just a few hours a day of playtime. Thanks for running me through the PoJ trials yesterday, everyone!

Got my combines done, ready for the last 3 fights and I'll have a 1.5, woo!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

lemonslol posted:

THE DAY I took off of work to grind out 100 more AA in the hole from 6am to 2pm, and got buffed before I logged out and collected exp potions, the servers are down :smith:

You're fixedgear right? That sucks man. Maybe your interview will go better at least.

Although the server status page says it's up: http://www.soe.com/status/

Does EQ have a typical patch day, like WoW does? How bad is the downtime typically, and how often is it?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Medullah posted:

If you log back into an old account, which is now the "silver" free to play, what happens to your backpacks since you're limited to 6 or whatever? I know my characters on Zek have all their slots filled, as well as bags in the bank.

Granted, 90% of the stuff they have are items that "Oh I think this is probably going to be used in a quest, since its MAGIC/LORE/NO DROP and won't sell to a vendor, so I might as well keep it!"

When in PoK, bring up your map (m / backspace, I think by default), hit the "Find" button, sort by the left column, and scroll down until you see a "Parcels and...". Double click him, and you get a glowing path right to him.

Speaking of lovely poo poo of poo poo, I went through half my bank two days ago, destroying poo poo. I'd recommend just searching everything up on ZAM that you're unsure about - I almost destroyed my Mark of Execution, only to find out it was for PoJ keying. At the time I didn't even know I needed it, but I needed it yesterday. Turns out it'd have been easy to be replace, but still, time saved.

Vomik posted:

I somehow have 1000 station cash. Is it worth buying that 20 slot 100% WR box for 800 SC off the market place? Is there anything like that in the game?

Is there a list somewhere of everything you can buy in the market place besides in game?

I'd say no. Then again, I'm against paying money for in-game items period. In the OP he mentions how you can get like a 14 slot 100% WR light bag for like 5k. Yesterday someone finished all of the anniversary quests for some year and got like a 26-slot bag or something crazy.

Are the anniversary quests always up?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Vomik posted:

Well I wouldn't be paying any money for the items as I already have the station cash. I think it is on sale from 1500 to 800, but didn't know if there was something better to get

True, but I guess I'd stick to stuff that you 100% can't get anything like in game (so even if you couldn't get a bag that awesome in game, the point is you can still get bags). That's just my philosophy though with in-game purchases.

If you're a silver account or whatever, merc slot like Beo said is super useful (tank for killing, cleric for self-rez). I'm thinking of buying that just because (I still have some SC from the $10 I spent during double cash and some random SC that was on my account). Extra inventory slots would be useful too, but they're just per-toon, not account wide. If you're silver you may want to put it towards a race/class combo you don't already have but want to play. You could also spend it on some experience potions. Those are the things that've caught my eye in the store at least.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

xZAOx posted:

Are the anniversary quests always up?

Answering myself! I searched teh entarwebs, found out "no". Apparently they're just up during anniversary times, then they all go away (and I'm assuming the Fabled mobs also go away). Something I read said the old ones will be up for a month (so until April 16th), the latest one will be up for a couple of weeks past that.

So during this time, what should be a "hit list" of things to accomplish for us returning players?

-"Pet" Weapon from Fabled monster for your class (several of us have, was a lot of talk in /gu about it yesterday)
-Sixth anniversary collection quest? (10-charge item of bonus exp)
-Ninth anniversary collection quest? (unlimited charges of PoK portal, but a 20-hour reuse timer, kinda bleh)
-Tenth anniversary quests (someone mentioned earlier - each quest gives you several things: "fun" clickies, exp, gold, and an experience potion, 16 quests you can do)

I searched and that's what I came up with. Anything else? It's surprising with how good and awesome the OP is, that there's STILL so much more to learn about the game.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks to Kodaji and his 80 toons, and those who came for PoJ fun yesterday. Got my 1.5 today!

2.0 Will be in a couple of weeks when I get some more levels, and get some anniversary stuff done while I can :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Hey Pilsner, as a newly returned player, I've been loving the game and loving your OP. Given how drat large the game is though, there's still be a lot more to keep finding out. Would you care to add some of this stuff to the OP? Instead of just asking you to do work, I typed it up if you want to use it.

I don't know if the thread is too long to copy/paste it, but I guess you could always link to another post if you wanted.

Parcels
If you had an existing account and rejoin as a Free-to-play account, you'll notice you only have 4 or 6 inventory slots now, instead of 8+ that you may have had. To get bags / items that may have been in those slots, when in Plane of Knowledge, hit your "Find" button (on the map screen is one spot if you can't find it), and sort the left column. Find the guy labeled "Parcels", and you'll get a magical glowing path to take you right to him. There's also a Parcels person in our guild hall (go to PoK, Guild Lobby, go to the north wall, and pick the door on the north west).

Legends of Norrath (LoN)
LoN was SoE's attempt at a card game. If you're not interested in playing it, you should still check it out once to see what free things you may have in it. Most people should have at least 50 free "packs" of cards, and each pack may have a loot card in it. The loot card can be anything from "fun" items like illusions, to decoration items, to experience potions, to mounts, and other things.

To use it, hit the big rear end EQ button in-game, and then hit "Legends of Norrath". Hit "Play". At the bottom, you'll see "Collection". There's a drop-down menu at the top - select "Redeemable Items". The first thing you see should be your packs of cards, and it'll say "50" under it. Right click and pick "redeem". Go through the screens. If you're not sure what pack to pick, you can see here what loot cards are in each type of pack to see if you want to stack one over the over (http://legendsofnorrath.station.sony.com/ - card sets on the left).

Yes, you have to go through this horrible UI for every pack. Redeem all your packs first. Then use the left/right arrows until you see your packs, right click, and select "Open X packs". At least you can batch open them.

After they're all opened, again put the menu to "Redeemable Items". When you find something you want, right click again and tell it "Redeem". Now it's in your "/claim" window, so type "/claim". You may need to hit the "Refresh" button. Then you got your free poo poo!

Disciplines
Even if you've played before, you may find all your melee disciplines gone. Hit Alt+C to bring up your Combat Abilites as they seem to be called now, and hit the little "S". That will show you what discs you have, and you can make hotkeys as you want.

To buy your new ones (or rebuy your old ones that have disappeared for some drat reason), open your Find window again in PoK, and go to "Vivian the True". She'll be upstairs in the library. Hail her, and she will give you a quest to go to your disciplines vendor, or you can just run around and find it yourself.

As a new played I found them overwhelming, but what seemed to work out best was sorting by cost, and buying the cheapest ones until I got the ones of my level (they get pretty expensive). Some will be out of order though, so you may want to check a few ahead (just right click to see what level it's for).

Changes to gear
Gear now has a "required" and "recommended" level. If you're under the recommended level (listed on item details), the item will not be at it's full power. Click the "Modified" button on the item details to toggle between it's "full" power, and it's scaled down stats for your level.

Ever see stats with "+X" to the side? Like "Strength: 20 +3". The +3 is "heroic stats", and allows you to go over your stat cap. If you buy defiant gear, you'll probably notice you're capped on drat near everything really easier. So heroic stats, and the long list of mods on the right side, are what's important these days.

Zone Guide and other new travel
Don't know where to go, or how to get there? When you bring up the map, hit the Zone Guide button. You can sort by name (but remember some zones have multiple names - like The Hole / Ruins of Old Paineel), hit Set End, then Activate. That'll give you a window with a list of zones to travel through. You can also use it as a zone browser if you want to find new zones in a level range. It's not perfect though, but it's generally very useful.

You can also go to the Guild Lobby, and see the gnome teleportation guy. He sells items - read the name to get an idea of where it'll send you. After you buy it, give it back to him, and step on the pedastal next to him. It'll remain active for a little while for anyone else. Sometimes going through him is much quicker than what the Zone Guide will tell you, so learn where he can toss you.

You can also use the Priest of Discord to get to PoK quickly any time. Find one and tell him "wish to go". He'll send you to Dranik's Scar (Omens of War expansion I think?). Once there, turn around and find another Priest of Discord. Tell him "go home", and boom, you're in PoK in front of the library.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

gepgepgep posted:

Finished my Ragebringer (Rogue 1.0) tonight! Big thanks to Mazik and Kodaji for helping out with some serious steps.

I started my 1.5 about 20 minutes later, and leveling the tradeskills is going to be a bit of pain...biggest being poison making it would seem.

To those of you people grinding in The Hole, if you can please save me oxides and charcoal you get from drops it'd be hugely helpful. Just /t Dakkith if you've got some saved up. Thanks!

Grats man! Granted, Ragebringer was often known as "Freebringer", as the easiest 1.0 epic in the game, lol. But it's a sweet weapon for it's time.

I'm curious, what kinda tradeskills do you need? I'm wondering if lots of classes got the shaft on that for their 1.5 and 2.0. Mine requires like 130 in Tailoring (each failure costs 1kpp), around 170 in Pottery (each failure requires more Iron Oxide and Permafrost Crystals farming), and I think ~150 in Baking (at least it's easy - the no drop pieces you have to farm up don't get lost, but the final item has several subcombines from smithing and stuff too).

Starting at 65 with 12 AA and bazaar gear, even molo'ing in the hole was tough for me. I could handle 2 mobs at a time at best. Now level 68 with 125 AA, epic 1.5, and now that I have my drat discs again, I can finally solo light blues with little downtime!

lemonslol posted:

You guys think with 200 AA I could unlock at 70 and just grind to 80, with like 80:20 exp:AA? I'm going on 9 days of being level 70 in the hole, and it's starting to get boring.

I read lots of guides / opinions about it, and overall, ignoring that each class has different specifics, people seem to recommend around (just averaging) 65/250, 70/600, 75/900, 80/1k, 85/1500, 90/2000, 95/2500.

And lots of people keep talking about how the more you grind out at 70/71 the better, usually citing the hole. At 68 mobs in Greig's End are still light blue and die quickly honestly. The loot isn't as good, but I'd recommend at least checking it out if you're bored of The Hole.

But as others said - the most important thing is do what you find is fun. Don't burn out on one thing. The game has a lot to offer. If you don't want to lose The Hole exp, go do some anniversary quests (did the sixth one last night, 10 charges of double exp potions, took like 3 hours), or work on your 1.5/2.0 if you don't have it yet, find an aug/clicky to farm up, something like that.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The downside is that I'll have to level up soon since I don't have many other good spots to put his points :(

That's why I ended up pushing on up some leveling at around 100 AA. Several of the AA I wanted were level restricted. From what everyone said, at 70 the AA exp would be better since I could kill faster thanks to the next tier of defiant gear, better AA and discs, and I can get my epic 2.0.

Is there an actual Riposte Disc? Or do you mean Whirlwind? And how are you AOE'ing them down? That one AA?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Was in Veksar fine a few days ago, now when zoning into Veksar, I got kicked to the log-in screen. Now whenever I try to log back in, I get to the character select screen, hit enter world, then it kicks me back to the log-in screen. Trying to log back in immediately gives a "character in the world" error.

I looked in my logs folder, and the only relevant thing I found was a "Sky.txt" which contained:

2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-shiningcity]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-underquarry]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-windsong]
2012-03-24 18:19:24 SkyERROR: Missing section [SkySetting-arelis]

Bleh. Anyone seen this before? Have any ideas / suggestions? I used the "in game support ticket" thing on their website.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I ran the check, no issues.

A GM moved my toon, I was surprised at how quick they did it. Of course I immediately went there and tried it again, and got stuck again. So I updated my support ticket.

I guess I need to file a ticket to their technical support team to find out why I can't zone in. Hopefully the GM moves me quickly again.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
From GM:

"It does look as though Veksar is down on Luclin, so I would recommend not going to that zone until this has been addressed."

So yeah. Noone go into Veksar, hah.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I think a lot of us are still in what I call the "honeymoon" phase. Early part of EQ has been made super easy, lots of gear for these levels looks insane compared to what we were used to back-in-the-day, and is easy to get, seeing lots of new content, etc.

Granted, that's not how we remember EQ at all. We remember gear being hard to come by (well, good gear), "big upgrades" would consist of going from a +3str piece of gear to +5str piece of gear, and it taking an hour to get even a blue bubble of exp after 51.

From what I understand, while gear upgrades aren't as tough as they used to be, the content does get tough again, and exp starts coming back in a lot, lot slower. I hope everyone sticks around, because that's the EQ I remember, and well....ya need a group for it!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tolain posted:

I really emphasize over and over again that "Level determines the expansion you fight in, AA and gear determines how well you do it", but pretty much no one wants to listen to me and they rush to 80 for sweet gear

I don't know who you are in game, but I'm listening, at least. Actually, the biggest thing itching me to level more (70 Monk, Brumans) is actually more awesome AAs. I've started to get 3-5 points into all my good AAs, and I really want some of the higher level ones (hastened mend especially, /drool).

Dubious posted:

Logged in before going to work, and why hello there Xicotl :allears:

Hah, grats man! Were you the same guy who was camping it for hours yesterday?

Stack of Scabs posted:

If you aren't even trying to go for the easy rear end anniversary augs, which are better than most augs from actual content, then just uninstall. Also, if you aren't stacking heroics on said augs then definitely uninstall.

Help me out here - at 70, are there augs I should be going for? I thought the anniversary ones were over my level. Same with the fabled augs. I've put in a few that I've ran upon, but I definitely haven't went to the trouble yet of trying to dig them out. Stacking heroics? You mean the heroic stats?

Tolain posted:

Another example was a 70 monk who didn't use any disciplines or tomes because it was "too much button pressing". this was BEFORE the game went F2P mind you. I can only imagine the floodgates about to open.

Phew, well, it's not me at least. I will admit though that it's confusing. Well first off, I didn't think I could get discs as a F2P, since I used to have some and now they're gone. Once someone said "hey, go find a tome vendor", now I'm overwhelmed trying to figure out what is on what timers, how to "synergize" them, and everything online is out of date or just dead. And it's definitely a lot more button smashing that original EQ, but ti's all good.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Peechka posted:

This is by and large a one mob at a time game.

Good to hear! I've been playing P99 for a long time, so I still have my pulling chops - but of course, the pull game has changed a lot too, for a monk at least. Got some awesome discs that really trivialize parts of it. This mez AA, Imitate Death, Stonewall, etc. But getting 1-2 mobs is generally the limit. Right now though, it's been "pull 800 mobs hurr". I think I'm ready for "real" EQ, but I can see how some people are going to have a rough adjustment (and may not enjoy it anymore).

Peechka posted:

You just do not see this type of behavior in any other mmo. Most of the people are really nice and glad to help a noob out if you are nice back to them. I think most of them are glad at the new influx of people to liven up the game a bit.

I think a *lot* of that is due to EQ's more "take it slow" nature. It's what I've always loved about the game. It's going to take such a long time to get to max level and your billion AAs, you should enjoy the game while you're at it. Explore poo poo, go kill old poo poo, do quests just because they're fun, not because they give you a reward. As a result, people are more likely to be helpful.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bahanahab posted:

Also, did they change the agro mechanic of the SK fear spells?

While I don't know anything about SKs (other than in vanilla, as you said, they used to dot to keep aggro), someone just a few posts ago was bitching about how a SK wasn't using taunt, then saying his spells kept aggro fine, then kept losing aggro. So my guess is look at some taunt skills / AAs / discs / spells / something.

J posted:

then despite all that he goes and spends 10 minutes to kill a fabled to get me this.

ZAM says he can drop multiple, did that happen for you too?

I'd love to pick one up too for WW, but ZAM says he's a week respawn, and we're nearing the end of Fabled spawns. Maybe I can get lucky.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Bleh, want to play EQ, not do work.

So, the concept of tiers in EQ is new to me. I mean, there were gear sets, but actually progressing through tiers didn't exist really when I played (there were just harder / easier raids). I checked poo poo out on Alla, which had some good wiki pages about tier progression which answered a lot of my questions.

But when it comes to leveling, is there a certain "tier" of gear you need from previous expansions before you can go to tier 1 of the next? Like, "you probably need group tier 3 from Underfoot to move into HoT, then group tier 2 of HoT to move into VoA group tier 1"? With a lot of it requiring tradeskills (it seems, at least), feels like that could be a problem.

I'm sure having later tier gear from HoT will make VoA tier 1 easier (as an example), but wasn't sure if it was really worth it, as opposed to just exp'ing in HoT zones, looting what you see, but moving on when the exp slows down.

Also, I found this awesome link: http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24035 . Gives an overview of quests and notable things about each expansion, like some clickies and augs you may want to farm up. I want to go to Dreadspire Keep for a damage aug and Pouch of Curses :D

And is the Underfoot Prayer Shawl quest worth doing these days, in terms of the end piece of gear? Seems like a bitch, but just curious.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yay, guild drama!

:munch:

In other news, got my Epic 2.0 yesterday, big thanks (yet again) to Kodaji for all the help with my fights :D.

Yesterday me and Dakkith went to Paw. I haven't been there since the revamp. On the good side, we killed every corner and nook and cranny of Paw in about an hour, just running around with mercs slaughtering all we saw. It was a lot of fun. On the bad side, I hate the new Paw :(. I'm sure there's some lore behind it, but gnolls are much more interesting to whack on instead of the stupid elementals.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Stack of Scabs posted:

Anyway, here's a quick list of anniversary augments. They're available around until mid april i believe:

While I'm under the level listed, I'm going to try hailing anyways and see if they'll let me do them or not. It'd be nice to bank the easy ones, even at my level I can pick poo poo up off the ground while FD'ing off baddies, or mooch off a group.

Anywhos, again, bored at work. I wish EQ had some online calculators or something to play with for AAs, oh well.

So I was wondering about some of the more "general" AAs. A lot of these seem like they're worthwhile from my limited knowledge, but noone ever recommends them.

I'm guessing it's a case of them being useful, but not really until you're at max level and all your more class-specific DPS/utility AAs are maxed out?

Earthen / Dreamlike / Veiled stats (raises stat cap 5 points per rank) - seems like Planar Power would be better first
General Sturdiness (100hp per rank until 20, then 200hp per rank)
Innate Regen - I actually have a few points in this from PoP (I only got 12 AA), when it was considered "mandatory" for all monks
Mystical Shield (5% chance to resist any spell) - just one rank. Seems like it might be nice for pulling, then again, pulling is a lot easier now with AE mez and stonewall
Natural Durability (2, 5, 10% more hp, then 1% more per rank) - seems like 3 ranks wouldn't be a waste. More HP is always good, right?
Planar Power (max all stat caps by 5 per rank) - Are stats really such a small thing that this isn't a good AA until way later? Seems like more str and sta (hp) per rank would make this one pretty sweet. Defiant gear way maxes everything currently
Ingenuity / Empowered Ingenuity - I'm not really sure what this is saying. Does this make damage procs on weapons hit harder, or is it saying it'll add a damage proc to your weapon?
Hardy Endurance - I seem to run out of Endurance pretty quick when using all my discs regularly, but seems like that might be resolved with later discs.
Heightened Awareness (you can block from behind) - be nice for pulling...then again, with the Run AAs, may not matter anymore
Heightened Endurance (end regen) - Right now it seems like it'd be really useful.
Phyiscal Enhancement (more hp, avoidance, and mitigation) - seems like a nice defensive AA? Only has one rank according to ZAM
Unflinching Resolve (resist stuns) - god I hate stuns.
Burst of Power (increases triple attack by 5 points per rank)

Part of the reason I'm asking is because I wanted to chill at 70 a little longer, and most of the suggested monk AAs that I haven't gotten already at this point require more levels for me to get. I still have a few more lines I can work on, but not hundreds of AAs worth.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Also whichever one of you raided our guild bank

All personal issues aside, whatever they may be, that's seriously not cool. Everyone donated to that. I mean, it's not like there was anything super special in there, and it was honestly overflowing with poo poo people needed to be taking, as well as lots of just useless stuff, but still.

Again, not about what was taken, just that someone would do that. Grow up.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Beo posted:

Any goons creeping on 80 should let me know I think I should be able to outfit quite a few people in t1 hot gear soon or at least fill a few slots.

I'd also like to do a dragons dragons dragons run for everyone over say 75 this weekend.

Brumans is only 70, but I'll still happily bank gear for later ><

Please tell me more about this dragons dragons dragons run. I really want to take my time and enjoy content, but I hate missing out on things due to my level.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Holy crap that's your UI? You can't see anything!

Went back to Paw again tonight with Arai. This time the zone was empty except for us, and while I still would rather fight gnolls, it was more fun. There's areas were like 6-8 roamers all path through...guess how we found out! Fun times, and got close.

For anyone else there, the named guys that drop an orb, get the 4 types, and turn them in to the person at the front. Easy 60 HEM aug. Nothing great, but hey, 60 free hp.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dizz posted:

Am I ever going to have my UI filled to the brim like this?

Oh god no, not unless you want to for some reason. His resolution seems low (most everyone can do 19x12 these days, I'd assume), and if you use different UI mods (many of us use Savok, linked in the OP), some of those windows get smaller. You can also make them partially transparent, which makes more of the game world come through. I think a few pages back some people posted screenshots of their UI.

Sgt Froggy posted:

I think that I am going to have to check this out.

After reading the OP, I find myself faced with a wave of nostalgia, much like the first several pages of comments. I didn't even realize EQ1 still existed outside of the emulations. I guess I always just assumed it was rolled into EQ2 and that was the end of it. Guess after the pain of "Gates of Discord" and the end of super enchanter pets, I just assumed it couldn't go on.

Does feel strange to hear that the trinity (war+clr+ench) is broken. And still makes me sad that pally didnt find more use, even after normalizations.

Are there any reasons to do LDON instances? When last I played those were vital leveling and gearing steps. And it seems that having mercs would make them obscenely easy to grind.

Yes low post count so feel free to haze as needed :)

:regd12:

So, also as a newly returning player, if you're looking for PURE nostalgia, and not really intending to "get into it", I'd recommend Project1999. We even have a thread about it somewhere here in the MMO HMO. Granted, you're talking about LDON, so depending on when you started, Project1999 might be "before your time".

But the current EQ is vastly different from it's original incarnation. It's a much, much more accessible and forgiving game, until (from what I've heard) you get into the last 10-15 levels of grouping and the raid game, where it starts getting srsfaec on you. Some remnants of old EQ remain - I still find myself in first person pretty often, the old music is still there in lots of places, I still need to be somewhat careful in some places, I'm still hailing and walking text trees with "what keyword?" making sure I'm actual in the text box before hitting enter, and it's not like I can pull 20 dark blue mobs and take a nap. Most importantly - the game is still most fun when in a group, which is what EQ was always about.

That said, I'm really, really enjoying my time here. The ability to solo / molo (solo'ing but with a merc) is a great addition, but never stopped me at least from inviting someone else to exp with. If anything, it makes it easier to group, whereas before 2 dps classes couldn't do anything together.

While EQ always had the "most efficient" group configurations, it was never, ever set in stone in my play time. You needed someone who could heal, someone who could do some sort of tanking, sure. But EQ was great about utility. Bards were a great example - they couldn't do anything great, but they could do TONS of things really well. A good bard made a good group awesome. Or you'd get groups with two druids trading healing duties (as the other medded, heh). Or monks, bards, rangers, etc could tank in a pinch.

The real "ALL GROUPS MUST HAVE A DEDICATED TANK AND HEALER" nonsense started up with WoW, and WoW absolutely hates utility. Everyone has to be measured by a bar and a mod that shows their bar being bigger than everyone else's bar, so goodbye utility classes. Three cookie-cutter roles, and everyone has to be equal in that role.

And noone gives a poo poo about LDON instances, unless it's to run them for fun. But I can't imagine running it for gear.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I decided that I'm going to, over time, visit all the zones from each expansion in order, starting with Luclin. I've already visited a lot of the Luclin ones since I started back up, but I'll probably spend a little more time in the ones I missed before moving on. Going by expansion will help me hopefully learn a lot more about the game and catch up on what all I missed. I am a content whore, after all.

Reading through wikipedia about features per expac, I did have some questions regarding all the new stuff that's been added, and just general comments:

-LDON instances - can me and merc zone into them? Is there any level restriction? With the different "ways" to do the instances, do they generally have a "dungeon crawl" way?

-There much value in the tribute system?

-Does anyone do monster missions anymore? CAN you still do them? Can you do them solo?

-What's up with charms? Any in particular I should look at as a monk?

-Evolving items, those used anymore?

-Housing trophies? Any actual worthwhile things to do there? poo poo I don't even have a house.

-I see people playing beastlords, but drat, noone plays bezerker.

-What the hell is a power source

-Raiding pirate vessels? Bwah?

-SoD sounds awesome. Like Cavern of Time from WoW.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

-Raiding pirate vessels? Bwah?
Huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest:_The_Buried_Sea

quote:

It features over 60 new raids and group missions and allows characters to raid pirate vessels.

So, I'm guessing "raid pirate vessels" was just some specific missions?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

486 posted:

I love LDoN :swoon:

Awesome, gonna have to try them out. Are they molo'able at 70 (if I get someone to ghost in the group)?

Too bad the exp apparently blows.

lemonslol posted:

Don't pick a bard.

SAYS A BARD! Hah! :)

Toxx posted:

I think I might hop on the EQ1 boat again for a little while. Going to try to log in tonight if I get out of work early enough. Are Wizards still played basically the same as they've always been? Having a tough time deciding between wizard and ranger.

While I don't play as a wizzie, I can tell you one thing that affects them. I don't know when you last played, but there's a 30 second "out of combat" timer now. When that's done, health, mana, and endurance all regen really fast. So your ability to empty your mana bar and regen it back up is greatly increased. If my endurance is empty, I can just sit out 1-2 fights and then it's back full (30 seconds to get out of combat, then about 1 minute to regend it back to 100%).

You stay out of combat even if your group is engaged. Just don't engage yourself.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

486 posted:

You'll get the most points per adventure with a group average level over 65, so maybe get a third person of your level to join the group from the lobby or something. It should be doable with current gear, and easier if you drop your group average level. If you use an offline or something as your third, the instance will be a joke, grey cons.

Sorry to keep on with the nub questions - where do I go to get these missions?

And the augs you said were worthwhile - are they bought with the points, or as loot from specific ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kithyen posted:

If I decide to stay I'll shell out the 25 bucks to transfer over and hopefully enjoy some goon craziness.

Note that, for now, it's on sale for $15.00, for another 2 days.