Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Shaman are definitely buff bots, lol.

Ench are weird. They're almost useless on raids for a long time. They're very volatile - they swing hard from "oh god gotta get one in the group" to "enchies don't do much". That said, I'm a strong believer in "just get whoever's LFG" for EQ groups. So much fun to be had that way. And even if it's a shitshow...well it's fun too. There's limits to that - you gotta have someone who can heal, someone who can take a hit - but you can get a lot more creative than people allow for. It won't be the most efficient, but it's fun.

I think the first thing you need to do is just figure out what do you want to do? Do you want to solo? Group play? Raid? Are you gonna bail at PoP or earlier? Or you gonna try to stick around for longer?

Failing at that, gently caress it, just play what's fun! If it stops being fun for any reason (mechanics suck all the way to 'I wanna group but no one will have me') then gently caress it. Be done or pick a new class.

In my phinny guilds, I will say that druids, necros, ench always seemed to be the least common. Usually only a couple of bard mains in the guild, but lots of bard boxes (esp as the server got older). Lots of melee and caster dps. War/pally/sk/clr/shm always very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

suuma posted:

I think druids tend to get a bad reputation since they're not the best at DPS or healing but being able to do both gives you a lot of flexibility, and they have enough utility in root/snare/ports that a well-played druid is still a really good thing to have around.

Building on what I was saying about weird groups - I *still* remember a highpass hold group, in the basement (I don't remember the camp, but the gobbos near a bank I think?), where we had 3 druids (I was a monk, I don't remember what else). This was back in 99, xmas break in college. It was a dumb, fun group. We were being miscreants and played literally all night, so we just took who was around. I was at home on dialup, so over night was the only time I could play so I wouldn't hog up the phone line!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

- Hate Advanced Loot and wish you could do things like `Give each group member 3 of this quest item, then pass on the rest` or `Give every Tradeskill drop to specific toon carrying 6x extraplanar satchels`? Now you can

What plugin/macro is this one!?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
What I find interesting is how much DBG and RG like...they know each other exists, and they half work together. Like the whole "okay, we'll make our version of MQ not work on progression servers". They've had a feature or two that they *removed* because DBG asked them to (I forget what it was, saw it on the forums the other day while searching about an issue).

Just interesting. I feel like DBG half thinks "ya know, this is practically a valid way to play our old rear end game. Just don't be destructive towards other people, and we'll be fine with it. At the end of the day, it gets us more money, so long as these things aren't scaring away other users."

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Got my box crew up to 61 currently. Things are starting to slow down pretty good, transitioning towards a more typical rhythm. Definitely made good use of the bonus exp this weekend though. Might get to 63 before the real world resumes tomorrow?

Also getting near the "defiant ain't cutting it" point too. Honestly my gear is hot trash. I've been doing the dailies to keep those 3 slots good at least, and buying whatever's cheap, and only very rarely does something worthwhile drop. It's working well enough - managed to score some defiant weapons in particular for real cheap which is super helpful.

Everyone recommends gribbles for 70s-100. But also a lot recommend TBM for gear. How is farming missions for TBM stuff? Remnants come fast, or should I ignore TBM and just do gribbles (which apparently gives marks which gives gear up to 100-ish too)?

Keep in mind that I'm planning on being F2P at times at least, so I'm just looking at the non-prestige gear, and I don't have pp to blow on the bazaar (remnants are 100pp for only a single seller, lol).

Unrelated - Veksar is a cool zone! I've never really been here. Spent a lot of 50-62 here. Was nice to dig into a new zone.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I'll 100% drop some krono on characters, the tank first. My plan is to make sure they all have non-prestige gear though (at least as a backup set) in case some day I want to gently caress around for a little bit, but not really dig my heels in. Like my bard has great gear (well, for TBM when I quit), but now he's punching mobs and naked lol. I just don't want to lock myself into prestige gear "permanently" is all. Especially since I don't plan on raiding with any of these guys. Just group stuff.

I found out about Paragon armor/achievements! It's a big step up from defiant. Level 75 ~800 HEM gear. Looks like the related achievements/tasks span 75-80. I think I'll start on that stuff as soon as I can, which will really help me into HoT armor after that.

Thanks for the list of killing places - I don't know if I have the balls to fully automate the group, at least not yet heh, but they're still good places to grind. It sounds much more interesting than grinding gribbles or TBM missions. I may also do progression on some expacs too, not sure yet, but that'd also break stuff up.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They're hoping to have a new EQ game out in 2028.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W71tqYcAeI&t=6803s

I haven't listened to all of it. he says more info later, not sure where that is in this.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If you want to get to live endgame, you'll want to be on a server with a raid guild you can join. So, a popular one. You also have a pretty long road ahead of you - even with auto grant, that's a lot of aa to grind and some random old poo poo to do for a raiding guild to accept you typically (like mpg trials and a handful of other things).

Realistically the odds of you and your friends maintaining interest that long are slim. Plus if you're just wanting to wax nostalgic, I think modern EQ is different enough that in the 80s or so when things really start changing and require more effort, people bail.

I generally recommend starting on the latest TLP (although I haven't kept up with what that is now) if people want a sense of progression with people, P99 is they want to try to get that classic feel EQ gave you (including a poo poo show for most raiding, but last I heard leveling is still great there), or Test server if you just want to explore and check out a mix of old and new zones (it's free, everything but latest expac unlocked, it's a good way to scratch that itch without committing or paying money). Any version of official, you can also over level and do old raid content with a group or smaller.

On live, you gotta play together with your crew all the time to catch up, or start boxing. Or both.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Autogrant automatically gives you all AAs by expansion, except the last...4? I think? expansions (provided it's unlocked by your level, etc). That's if you're subbing. If you don't sub, it's like...250 AA then it stops. Often what people do is grind to the 70s or 80s, the spend a krono on their box crew to "catch up" immediately, then let them get behind again for a while, etc.

For all of modern EQ's faults, I do think the path forward is pretty clear at least. Every 10 levels or so you'll want to get a new gear set (defiant for a while, which is usually just bought off the AH). Then in that 70-80s range you start moving to actual gear progression per expac. Each expansion is different, and you don't need a full set from every expansion or anything. Many are "kill the named, drops a generic item (like "breastplate template"), combine that item with an expensive vendor item to make the class specific piece". There's usually group gear with a couple tiers, then raid gear with a couple of tiers. You can mix and match generally speaking. Some tiers just drop directly.

Each expansion starting around, TSS or so maybe?, also has its own progression line which is a great way to see every expansion. It's a series of tasks which takes you to every zone, has you do all the instance stuff, and usually ends with a reward (illusion, mount, sometimes cool, sometimes lame). It's generally group focused.

You and your crew would group up, and start grinding mobs. Mercs do all the work up until level 50 or so if you want. Around 70-80 you'll start needing to farm for gear or you'll get obliterated. You'll need to sub to get your autogranted AAs. You'll pick which expansions to skip, which to do (making sure to not let your gear get more than 10 levels behind or so). Depending on your server of course, but most of the time you'll either be alone, or you'll see another box crew or two running around. There's enough content to spread out, so while the hottest of hot spots might be taken, there's plenty of places to set up. Although you'll generally do the hot zone quests, burn a lesson, and then farm armor / work on progression lines, so I felt that just raw exp grinding happens a good bit less - *until* you stop getting autogranted AA. Then you'll definitely be grinding to max those out.

I don't know how population is when you're in the latest expac, but I suspect it's also mostly box crews, just more of them. There's no EQ pug raid scene that I'm aware of, so you'd have to find a guild if/when you got to max level. But you'll have a clear path the whole time.

This site is great and lays everything out, expac by expac: https://eqresource.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm still kind of amazed that every year they do new TLPs, and people still swarm to play the first 3-5 expacs every time.