Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kithyen posted:

Don't remember any of my info from my 65 enchanter although if I decide to stay in it for a few months I may try and get him back. Didn't Veeshan get merged with Luclin? If so, he's already on the server.

One more question on character transfer. From what I've read you transfer with all coin/items correct? I ask because I'm pretty sure the last time I transferred a character to a different server it was back when they first introduced this and it was like 75 dollars and you were stripped of everything or something ridiculous like that.

Unless you're transferring from a special rules server (like FV), it takes about 2 minutes and you get to keep everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

widds2v posted:

Yeah after looking at some of the AAs it's noticeable that there are more melee related AAs the later in expansions you get than bow based ones. I've changed up my playstyle a bit and things are dying faster.

Non-casters seem to get kinda screwed though with this super fast leveling. It's impossible to keep an up-to-date weapon if you don't have a high level main to supply yourself with twink plat for the bazaar... was using my sword still from the tutorial at 27 until I gave in and bought one (probably overpriced) from a regular merchant. Caster spells at least are easy to obtain lower levels.

Yeah, gonna agree with gep/Dak. If you're finding stuff very expensive on the Baz, then don't buy it. There might be something better than defiant, but I wouldn't bother trying to dig for it (until you're actually past defiant level). And if they only defiant stuff you see is expensive, just check back in later. Definitely scout the top two tiers (elaborate and elegant) anytime you're in game.

The only "expensive" defiant stuff I bought were my legs / chest, a couple of thousand pp each (at both elaborate and elegant). It took a bit to find them at the right price, admittedly. Weapons I found for dirt cheap.

Now if you're thinking that 1kpp is a lot of pp, then I'd say switch where you're hunting. The Hole, as mentioned a billion times, is great money. And before 60 (when elaborate defiant gear starts), gear isn't super important and will be outdated quickly. If it's not cheap, then gently caress it, and do some more molo grinding.

Also, if you're in the goon guild, check the guildbank, tons of defiant poo poo there for free.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

The XP the twink gains will be exactly as if he had killed the mob with any group, the twink getting half xp if grouped in two, for example. The xp share the high level gets will either go into thin air if it's grey, or he'll get a small amount if it's green, for example, just as if soloing. If you're killing mobs that are red to the twink, he will gain boatloads of xp.

There must be some other stuff that works into what exp the twink will get. The other day, me and Lubanja's boxes were at C2. I was getting over 10% of an AA per kill. Usil showed up to kill a couple fabled for us (can't remember level, but pretty sure he's 95, I was 70 for comparison), so we invited him into the group. The regular mobs we killed with him in the group gave an exp message, but I at least could no longer even see the exp bar move. When he killed the fabled though, I got 40% of an AA.

Perhaps if the kill is green/gray to the PL'er the exp given to the group is drastically reduced. I'm not sure what the regular mobs conned to him.

I had a question about merc slots - I just assume gold could get all 5. Then I read a comment before F2P about someone buying more merc slots. Then I noticed nowhere on the F2P page does it mention merc slots. Do you have to buy them with SC?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Glad I realized this while it's on sale. Guess I'll go ahead and pick it up.

I wish I had dropped an extra $20 on double SC :(

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ckwiesr posted:

AA XP is based off of how the mob /cons to the power leveler.
Normal XP is based off of how the mob /cons to the person being power leveled.

Ah, mystery solved! Thanks!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

widds2v posted:

How often do they do double SC sales?

I've asked (and seen this asked) before, and from what I could gleam, while there's no set schedule, it seems to be about 3-4 times per year. More likely at holidays and in-game events (like fabled/anniversary month and going f2p that all happened at once this time). With maybe triple station cash happening once a year.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wife is out of town until late Sunday night, so I'm 100% on baby duty from now until then.

How am I supposed to survive with only a few hours of EQ a day? HOW?!

Benadryl makes her sleepy...hrm...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sgt Froggy posted:

Are their still hell levels? If so which ones?

Nope.

Sgt Froggy posted:

Should I be sweating gear at all? If so what items? It seems like I am leveling so fast (45 now) and I am still mostly wearing the tutorial and low level defiant gear. Is that an issue?

Nope.

At 60 and 70 I'd recommend grabbing the proper defiant. Unless you're going to wait until 70/71 to grind AA, then I wouldn't sweat it too much on the 60 stuff (pick up what's cheap or in the gbank).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bugamol posted:

Due to Sony getting hacked if you fail more than 6-12 logins in a 24 hour period you will get locked out completely from their website for 24 hours.

Fun side-note - everytime you fail after that, it resets your 24 hour wait period. You have to wait a full 24 hours before trying again.

Dead Precedents posted:

So, are the epics (only 1.0 existed when I last played) as awesome as they were or are they now not so important?

Not so important. I still like mine as a monk, since it's an extra 40% song/spell haste, but even that's not great, because haste potions are cheap.

It'll be nice to already have it though to start on your 1.5 and 2.0 - which are still used by most (if not all) classes for at least their clickie effects. This way you don't have to do the 1.0 pre-quest (an alternative way of starting your 1.5, they didn't want everyone to have to trudge through the 1.0 which wasn't worth much by that point).

Edit: Kodaji gave more info, trust him over me. By the way, I'd recommend always doing any quests, or any exploration, or anything if you enjoy it. I think epic quests are something all EQ players should give a whirl, and not just be focused on the end result.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lain posted:

It's funny though I always thought the quests were these big epic things but if you really pay attention to the story of them they are awful and make no sense.

I can only really speak to the monk one, but I always thought ours was cool. Our 1.5 and 2.0 both go back to the same main guy had in 1.0 too.

Node posted:

I could just imagine how utterly long the quest journal entry would be if they converted epic 1.0 over to it. How many steps would some of them have? Over 100?

Again, I only know the monk one...and it'd be insane, if it started where the monk quests really start. We had headbands and sashes that give pitiful stats (yet we used to wear them back in the day, who knew there was better!), and the quests open up as you continue to level. They don't have any good lore with them, just "go get these 4 things to prove you're awesome and I'll give you this piece of poo poo". But then the top one of each of those, with 2 camps, one which is extremely rare, goes into your first robe. Then two more rare rear end camps gives you the next robe. Why rare camps? The quest writer said monks should be patient. Seriously. The monk epic then is just a series of 4 fights which actually aren't that tough.

Ours is just time consuming, but doesn't need a strong force. Compared to some epics that need drops from gods AND dragons, yeah, I like it better this way.

Edit:

Dizz posted:

Are there any decent hand to hand weapons I can get around level 42? I'm not getting any luck at finding defiant orbs.

There's a set for level 48 in the guild bank right now. Just push through to 48 with your merc then grab these - they're defiant, and they're 12/19.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 1, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kithyen posted:

Had a quick question about augs. As a cleric right now I have a soulstripper as my primary 1hb weapon. It has a lifetap proc on it. Just recently got a nodrop aug called a blackened lava rock which adds the effect of "Strike of Ykesha" to my type four slot weapon. If I put it on my soulstripper will that overwrite the lifetap proc or will it basically have two seperate procs that can go off during battle?

EDIT: NEvermind, answered in Guildchat. THank you.

What was the answer? I'd assume double procs.

A group of us went to Ashengate yesterday, awesome time! What was supposed to be "I only have 30 minutes left" became "oh god I should've went to bed an hour ago". it was nice to see a modern big dungeon. And it's always fun pulling mobs that are all red to you, and very quickly, became red to everyone in the group. The exp per-kill was great, but the kills weren't quick, and we kept having to take med breaks for our cleric mercs (yes, plural, we had two, hah!) to med up. But I wasn't even really watching my exp after the first kill or two, was having too much fun crawling. We'll definitely be going there again.

From a pulling perspective, it was actually really easy. There was only 1 pull where I had to actually split, and the rest all came single (as long as I waited for roamers to go away). V-Mines is actually trickier hehe. We need to go back to it and try to explore more too.

Are any of the dungeons from the past few years of expansions "normal" sized? Ashengate is this big massive area, where huge dudes run around. It's almost like it's raid-sized. Do they still release narrow twisty dungeons like where in vanilla? Almost all (or hell...all period) original dungeons where narrow maze-like clusterfucks for the most part. I loved it because it made it feel a little more real, and forced you to play first person (which helps immersion for me - yes, I said it). Everything from BB, Befallen, Unrest (the house) up to Sol A, Guk, Sol B, etc. All of them are "person" sized.

That's one of the many things I got tired of in WoW. Everything is loving oversized because it's designed to be played in third-person exclusively. Steps where almost as tall as my character.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Z-Axis posted:

What melee should I create to go with my shaman?

I absolutely love the monk class, and back in the day monk + shaman = unstoppable duo.

However, especially for mid-level AA grinding, ranger and rogues are amazing. Both have abilities that will basically insta-kill a mob (headshot and assassinate, respectively). Sometimes I group with a rogue in PoFire, and the AA just flies. I know the rogue one requires humanoids, not sure about headshot.

If all you're looking for is what's higher on the damage meter, it's probably going to be ranger/rogue for mid-level stuff at the least. I'll let someone with more knowledge about the higher game (80+) speak to that though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sgt Froggy posted:

I have another noob question. Does the merc race effect anything besides types available and aesthetics? Im just now 50 so about ready to jump up a tier I believe.

Nope. Just looks.

We got further into Ashengate west wing last night. Man, melee augs drop all the time there. I think me and Lub both have a full set of what you can get from there already. Too bad they're lore.

We got past the slippery area, and were trying to figure out where to go, when Neri fell down, paniced, and insta-evac'd himself. We were so close to the end! It old him he should've died, since corpse drag ignores the z-axis, heh. After that, I figured the way through must be down, so I jumped, and hauled rear end through the tunnel into the last room just to see it, before casting origin :3

It looks like the hallway with the dragon head statues would be a good place to set up shop if we wanted to grind, but the exp (for me at least) isn't great just yet. It's more about exploring it. We have too much downtime for it to be a good "camp here forever" spot, at the moment. Cleric mercs are always running out of mana. I think Lubanja just needs to figure out how to do slows / dots while healing on his shaman at the same time, so we don't have to rely on them as much ;-)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Peechka posted:

So me and my bro and his bud have stopped at Lv75 for the past week or so to grind out some AA action. We have been doing Vergalid Mines exclusively for some decent AA. Usually in about 2-3 hours we get about 30-40AA. First question is there a better place to grind AA at 75? Its pretty easy there right now and constantly getting easyer with our new AA, but Im wondering if somewhere else would yield more AA per hour at Lv75.

Second question is how many would you guys stop to get at 75? I have roughly 350 now, the chanter has about 450 and sadly our Pally only has about 150 since he had to catch up to us Lv wise first..

Also, as a Ranger I want to complete my Epic 1.0 just to say I did it. Can this be soloed with a Healer merc and myself, again, Lv75 with 350 well spent AA (Def and off). And if any of you have done this Ranger one, any tips? Right now Im about to do the Karana part with the Reavers.

Paw is supposedly good at 75. I'm more of an AA fiend though, and I'm still at 71 doing Hole when not in a group. I can do Paw at 71 even, although I need a merc typically or it's too much downtime. You'll want to go in a little bit though - my guess is the entrance mobs will be green. Look out for roamer swarms. There's areas where 7-8 roamers all cross, and you can get in over your head.

I'm over 500 AA at 71, and will probably stay here until 6-700, as long as I don't run out of stuff to buy. At 75 personally I'll probably go for a 1000. A lot of people go with a lot less though. Again, I'm a bit of an AA fiend, and also I'm trying to not level too fast so I can enjoy more content when it's risky.

As for you, each class is different, as other people will tell you. All I know is for a Ranger, you want Headshot AAs for awesome AA grinding. I don't know when it opens up though. The pally though, everyone always talks how tanks need a poo poo-ton of AAs to compete with a merc, so sounds like he needs a whole lot more.

I would expect 75 with healer merc could solo their 1.0 epic, yes. Remember that it was originally designed for level 60 toons. The only problem might be if you have to take out any mobs that DT, like Inny / CT or something (or rather, the mini-bosses now I guess, from the revamp).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
We cleared out north wing of Ashengate yesterday, woo! We went with "just the tip" for east wing, gonna go all the way in tonight if we can :D

Also, I asked this earlier, no response, so asking again - do any of the modern dungeons have narrow / twisty / cramped areas like all (or at least most) of the original dungeons?

MrTheDevious posted:

You can use this fantastic post on Evilgamer to plan AC aug camps:
http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4870

Why is everything loving prestige, with no way to buy prestige unlocks :(

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Awww, sad face. I mean, I dig having big epic zones, especially for raids for logistical reasons, but I really dig labyrinth-style "holy god where is my map" dungeons too, and probably more-so (probably due to being burnt out with WoW dungeons, which are all like 4x bigger than they should be). Not to mention, all the traps, secret walls, etc of the old dungeons.

Oh well.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Beo posted:

You guys doing the dungeon crawl have almost tempted me to stop powerleveling my necro and do some 70s grouping, it sounds like you are having a blast!

You should! I keep getting people telling me to push to 75, then grind there (and make use of some great 75 banked gear), but then after that I see people that are already 75 being told to push on to 80, lol. There's ALWAYS better gear out there. So I'm just gonna take things at my own pace, and try to crawl as many dungeons as possible while they're at a level that's challenging.

I'm not even completely sick of the hole yet - I've definitely spent a lot more time there than anywhere, but I've always managed to mix it up with other places, and rotate often. I prefer variety and exploration as opposed to "this is the most AA grinding spot, never leave". EQ definitely can provide a lot of that variety and exploration, more than any other MMO I know of.

At some point I'm going to crawl old dungeons I've missed, but they'll be grey, and not as exciting.

After we get done with east wing, I'm going to suggest we check out Valdeholm, and check out more of Vergalid Mines.

Hexel posted:

The classic missions offered by Old Man McKenzie http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.html?id=33870 do a pretty good job of recapturing the "classic" feel. I don't know if any new or returning players are aware of these missions. Essentially it's a monster mission but without crazy races or abilities.

You are a level fifty "classic" player- can pick whatever class you want, then do 3 different classic dungeons: Naggy's Lair, Live Guk and Dead Guk.

That sounds awesome. I read up on it, and it says the average group level needs to be 80. The gear he awards definitely seemed decent too, depending on how many missions it takes to get enough brews for it.

I did a couple of the LDONs the other day (going to get a dodge aug), and while they weren't exactly like Guk or Unrest or anything, they still felt much more like a classic dungeon compared to something like Ashengate. So I'll definitely be checking out more of them.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

While I applaud your decision to take it at your own pace, level 80 is special because you can begin equipping the Tier 1 gear from the House of Thule (HoT T1 gear), which is a ridiculous upgrade in power from previous stuff. Your melee dps and hitpoints will double or triple, making it much more tolerable to grind some AA, get some tougher quests done, etc.

Yar, I understand that. If my goal was to grind AA in the most efficient manner possible, I'd move on. The Hole is nice because it's easy to grind AA there, but I only get like 12 AA per lesson or so. I've heard people at 75 and 80 at solo spots getting 20 or so a lesson. I'd assume the trick is at 80 you take your overpowered gear to a nice light blue area and feel like you're a raid mob.

That's kinda similar to taking defiant gear at 70/71 to the Hole, which is Kunark-era (although I'm not sure when the revamp happened). However, the difference apparently isn't as noticeable as it'll be at 80.

But yeah, that's not my goal. I just enjoy grinding AA in a variety at places, as well as trying to see content when it's still at least light blue to me. It'll probably mean I won't grind as many AA at 80 (because I won't have as many to catch up on), but I'm hoping it'll end up for a less "live here forever" experience.

Oh also, I pick up the Extended Ingenuity AA at your suggestion, got the max I could get for my level. Already finding it very useful. The longer clicky-effect from my epic is especially nice.

cryptoclastic posted:

So I've got a monk on my silver account, and I am thinking about two boxing on another account with one of the free characters. I'm curious, what would you guys recommend using for the two box? I'm thinking a wizard, and then letting the mercs be war/cleric. I don't really want anything too involved for the number two guy, and I feel like two-boxing two melee characters would be pretty hard. So basically, should I do monk/wiz or monk/cleric?

This has been asked a bunch of times, and the suggestion lots of times is bard or shaman. Shaman being able to slow will just make your life a lot easier, and can buff out the wazoo. My dps takes a noticeable increase when there's a shaman in the group. Bards also add a ton of utility, including amazing haste (the shaman can haste too of course, but I believe bards are the only ones who can overhaste, please correct me if I'm wrong!), not to mention superior pulling than a monk, ability to mez, super quick travel, etc.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Highlights for my lowbie self:

-Modified the functionality of prestige items so that armor or weapons with prestige augments inserted do not become prestige.

-Reduced the number of players required to experience several older raid events.

-Nearly all items that previously needed to be equipped in order to activate their spell effect should now be useable from your inventory if you are capable of equipping that item. These changes intentionally exclude a number of quest and bane items. <---HELL YES.

-Bloodbone Skeleton tank mercenaries will now keep the attention of their targets more reliably.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Double SC sale bitches! Time to stock up and buy expansions for your boxes.

Sweet! Didn't think they'd do one again so soon. Time to go buy some more Wal-mart station cards (2000 points for $15.00, which is 4000 points during double SC - that's right, $15.00 for $40.00).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Goldmund posted:

Can you buy expansions with station cash? I can't check any game related sites at work, but if so I might have to go stock up on cards.

Yeah, expansions and game time. So for $30 I can get over 5 months of game time, and that's even if I just bought it 1-month at a time =P. I think I'll be going gold soon :D

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

Just impromptu goon raided Fabled Agnarr and it was a blast.

Dammit ><

You guys need to run stuff earlier! I know I would've been too low level to be useful, but I don't care hehe.

Anywhos, we explored v-mines last night, which ended up being a lot more fun than it should've been. We didn't know that you needed a key to go into the deeper area (well, Kirin did, but he didn't show up until later), but we managed to get a few keys, and just pulled through the wall. Which led to awesome stuff like 10 mobs coming to us, but one at a time. A lot of wonky pulls, but it was fun. No full wipes, although Neri had to evac a few times...

Also, we explored Valdeholm a couple of days ago. Holy poo poo, is it a rape fest in there. I loved it, haha. We were camping the guy who drops the throwing item pouch. There is no such thing as a "safe spot" in that zone. The area we were in had about 4 static spawns, then 20 roamers that all intermingle. I think if we had been our toes a little better, and communicated a little better, we'd have been fine. I still want to go back again before fabled is over, since supposedly even regular nameds pop more often.

What's up with all the awesome 70s dungeon being part of serpent's shrine? There's like 10 other expansions before that one that I thought would've had some good leveling spots too, but they seem empty, except for Greig's End and some PoP stuff.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tolain posted:

TSS info

Well, that at least puts it into perspective. The TSS content still is super popular, and almost every zone in it is a hotzone. Works for me, as so far I've found the zones all fun and they look great too. I wish the team that did the models for it would go back and redo all the races.

I don't think I can hold back my "go check out all the zones I missed" urges any longer. I'm going to group up when stuff is happening, but by-level I'm already way past over half the game, based purely on level (I know that doesn't mean I can waltz through it all, but still).

I can just FD my way through most poo poo, and I will, but some stuff I might want to kill some along the way. What's the formula for determining when stuff goes from light blue to green? I don't want to go exploring when everything is all green and grey. I know some poo poo, like The Warrens, will be, but oh well.

It's gonna be tough to find everything, and I doubt I ever will. So many instances and monster missions seem to be hidden all over the place.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pretty_Llama posted:

Apparently I am bad at google - is there any way to play EQ on a macbook pro(non EQ Mac version)?

Bootcamp? =/

Vomik posted:

I was thinking about starting an alt to my necro and was considering either Rogue or Monk. Are rogues completely unable to solo for xp/aa? I think monks are pretty good at it correct? Also, are monks capable group tanks at high levels?

I kind of like the idea of playing a rogue but don't want to be forced to find a group just to get some aa at higher levels. I keep hearing about rogue poisons... does anyone know a guide to the ones that are creatable? I was hoping it would be in the allakhazam rogue spell/skill list but it isn't.

Rogues get assassinate in late 70s or something. It basically one shots a humanoid mob, as long as they're turned around. So as long as your merc has aggro, you should be good. The mob has to be a lot lower than the rogue, but you'll still be getting exp (and a ton of it). If you're dual-boxing rogue/necro, you'll have 2 mercs too, you'll be able to do stuff without being dependent on other people. But grouping with humans is much more fun than boxing or using mercs!

As for monks, I can solo light blue stuff typically, but depending on what I'm fighting, worst case I molo it. I'm finding that molo'ing light blues with a rogue merc and using heal potions to be the most efficient. I can't speak for super high-levels, but typically, monks have always been able to tank in a pinch. Not as good as a warrior / sk / etc by any means, but they're servicable, but more of a mana sponge.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Third guild name for the EQ guild in what, a month or two? Yay!

What should we rename it? Oh gently caress it, I'm joining GUILD HARMONY RESTORED! Okay, not really.

So, who thinks Nero, or one of the early defectors (like the person who emptied our original guild bank) reported it?

Edit: But seriously, I don't really care what it's called either. Just don't want to have to move out 200 bank items again. <What> in honor of EQ2, <Ye Olde Goon Squad> as a classic, back to what you guys were on test, what was it? <Pants Without Goons>? There's the one I came up with for some friends a long time ago in WoW - <Wench Hath Spoken Thusly> (totally RP version of "that's what she said").

But yeah, I don't really care.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 9, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Beo posted:

Ominous Latin Words is still my vote

+1

Ascending Angles is really funny too, but could be subject to GMs again.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Maybe something more substantive than this would be useful? Though this is definitely a thing.

Just to reiterate - he wasn't being snarky or lazy or anything. Find a spot where you can grind out AA decently, level-lock, then just buy anything pet related.

Even as a monk, I've noticed AAs, if you like to level-lock and grind, start flowing fast and easy. Monks definitely have a "oh get this first" order on a few things, but really, you just end up getting everything DPS related. If you're at a spot where you can grind AAs good, then more AAs just makes the spot easier. You obviously don't need any AAs to grind there, but you'll need/want them for your next spot, so just go ahead and get all of them that are available to you, until you get them all or get tired of being there.

One big tip I'd make for those grinding exp of any sort - move around! gently caress "only this one zone is super efficient". I mean, I definitely did my share of time in the Hole, make no mistake. But I also spent a lot of time in Greig's End, Plane of Fire, one of the Kattas, Stoneroot Falls, Vergalid Mines, Valdeholm, Ashengate, several LDONs, Splitpaw, and I'm sure more zones and other exploration that I forgot about.

My point is - the game is a lot more fun if you take advantage of the wide breadth it has to offer. If you're like "oh this game sucks, so tired of grinding AAs in the hole" then loving move! EQ is a time-investment game, so refusing to move because a certain spot gives you 2 more AA an hour is silly =P.

Now that I'm done with Everfrost LDONs (got my dodge aug), did my first deepest guk LDON last night :D. They still give exp, so gonna do all the other LDONs for a while when we're not grouping elsewhere. I love the straight-forward dungeon crawl aspect of them.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I don't know anyone refusing to use mercs, at least not in our guild. Now, if you got a place you solo with no/little downtime without a merc, then you shouldn't use it "just because". But while doing LDONs, for example, a rogue merc helps me cut through things twice as fast. Yes, they eat up exp, but it's at worst case proportional to the speed increase. Not to mention, in my case it means I get done with the LDON faster, and in other cases, it means more loot too.

There are definitely times where a merc is a bad idea - after all, tanks will start being too low health all the time, you'll have to be taking breaks to let your cleric med, etc. So when they start introducing downtime, you should look at ditching them. Get yourself some healing potions instead.

But yeah, overall - I haven't seen this anti-merc sentiment. But don't use them "just because", because there are conditions where they'll bring you down.

Also to note - if you're in a 5 person group, pop a sixth for a merc. In one case my exp-per-kill actually went up, other cases, it's stayed the same. So it's free healing / dps. This goes for any sixth slot - the full group bonus covers the exp sharing.

Peechka posted:

So Its like I can just go AFK in that spot, come back in a few hours and profit?

Yep. It's even approved.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Peechka posted:

On another note, here is a question for the vets. We usually roll with Ranger(me), my brother a Pally, and one of our buddies which boxes a Chanter and a Wizard. We all stopped at 75 to grind out some AA and now we basically all have about 500-600 AA. Is this enough AA grinding for 75? Would you grind out to have 1K AA or just stop grinding now and get to LV80 and stop there for some more? We were kind of debating this in the past few nights. I said that we should get to 80 first, now that we have a solid base and then stop to grind some more, but they still want to stay at 75 and keep grining some more AA.

My thought is when we get to 80, there is such a huge power spike that we will be able to go back to the mid 70's zones and rape for AA more efficiently.

It depends on the class as for how "crucial" more AAs are to them. But my opinion is "do what's fun for you". If you're tired of grinding AA at that level, then level up some more. You guys don't have to all level together. A 75 can group with an 80 just fine. If some of you want to move on up, then do that. By the time you're at 80, they'll probably be ready to unlock and level up again, meanwhile you'll back to catching up to them with AA.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bahanahab posted:

Also, every melee class should be using spider's bite poison's. Just get the version that is for your level range, and you'll be set. The level 65 version procs for 1500 poitns of damage.

Just for other melee like myself - Zorl (I don't know if that's you or not, btw) gave me some of those the other day. They're awesome, and according to him, cheap to make. You just need a certain type of the poison drops. Usually they'll read something like "Refined AA Venom" or something. They'll always have that "A" or "AA" type stuff in the name. I'd recommend just saving them up and throwing them all at a rogue next you see one. The buff lasts for a very long time, and 60 procs - whichever comes first (which is always the proc amount first, as long as you're fighting).

Pilsner posted:

You pretty much have to do this for every AA you consider. Part annoying, part some of the charm of EQ, since all info being distilled and spoiled kinda makes it meaningless anyway. :) And as also posted, saving up 9 or 12 AA and hitting the "Can Purchase" button is a great filter in most situations.

Heh, I go back and forth on this. Being a bit lost and unsure makes a game much more interesting on a lot of levels. Then again, I hate dumping AA into something that's crap, even if it's not the end of the world (not like you can't get more AA).

I had an impromptu "explore Dragons of Norrath content" night last night. A lot of very cool zones, I thought. Started off with just checking out the new Highpass Hold actually, then it dawned on me that the Commonlands were merged, then found that there's an actual SolC (neat zone! that loving huge spider scared the poo poo out of me! and a raid boss in there too!). From there went into the DoN stuff, exploring every nook and cranny. I might fight my way to the top of the Ascent some night (instead of just FD'ing my way), and I also left the Nest and Isles zones mostly unexplored, as they were full of lb/db mobs for me to get exp on.

It's a later expansion though, I might should back up a bit first hehe. So much content in this game to check out.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, but I really like and have always liked Cleric. I'm more than likely not going to drop it.

Enjoying a class is definitely the number one reason to ever play one :3

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nurge posted:

I've been wondering if cleric merc would work better for moloing as a monk at lvl 60ish than the tank. For some reason the tank seems to do really miniscule damage and I have to wait longass times for it to regen up every 15-20 kills or so, even if I only pull doubles (light blues) or so. Of course I don't know if the cleric running out of mana will be any less of an issue. I'm really annoyed the vet reward healer pet doesn't heal the merc either.

I preferred the cleric merc for a while as a monk too. Usually when it needed to med, I needed more endurance anyways. That was starting out at 70 or so.

After I had a bunch of AA, and now at 74, I can heal myself fine, but I still like a rogue merc because I can get through poo poo so much faster.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dizz posted:

Is there an estimate to the mount of plat I'd have to spend to get a skill like Fletching max or really high? I'm apparently swimming in massive PP at 42 ish [at least IMO. 1k and growing plat with my merc only needing about 20 per 15m is pretty good.]

That's really chump change. Money is sooo much easier than it was originally. I finally went gold so I could sell my gems again. I started hording them after hitting the pp cap on silver time after time, after spending all my pp on extra bags and buying every tome. In just the low 70s, a few hours of dungeon looting will bring in a few thousand pp. If you're in the Hole solo/molo'ing, it can be even more (one time I made like 7k in 3-4 hours). From what everyone says about the earlier levels, you'll probably be in that area in a day or two.

And even that is garbage compared to what you get at 80s and 90s, from what I've heard.

sfmarine7 posted:

Some helpful info i just realized tonight is that you can buy rings neck earrings mask equivalents to defiant at the merchants right next to the CR book.

Finally! Multiple people had mentioned you could buy non-vis pieces, but when people asked in gchat or guild, noone would respond where. I've pretty much got everything upgraded at this point, but I'll still have to see if there's anything better in there.

A question for higher level folks - I bought all the tomes for my monk from the vendor, but they don't go to 95. Do melee not get new discs, or does it turn into a hunting game in later levels?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sgt Froggy posted:

Is there anyone in game I can off load defiant gear to? I've all but given up on trying to sell it in trader mode, and now that Ive settled on a class I have a metric ton of it clogging up bank space. Id feel bad just cashing it out when new people joining can use it.

Dump it in the guild bank.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nurge posted:

Another interesting thing I noticed, but can't really quantify without getting a dps parser is that for some odd reason it seems like I hit a Lot faster with the epic 1.0 worn instead of defiant gloves, even with the clicky running from bags now. It seems kind of odd, since from my understanding the h2h table should override the 1.0 hand stats at lvl 60.

Monk 1.0 epic changes fists into 9/16. Fists at 60 are on a delay of like 26 or something. With clicky effect going, that alone brings it down to a delay of 13. You likely have some worn haste around 30-40%, so your delay with 1.0 is probably around 10 (swing every second).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm surprised they haven't improved vendoring yet. Click item, click sell, click item, click sell, especially with the huge bags you can get these days, with 10 inventory slots, is ridiculous. I'd be very happy with just WoW's implementation of "right click to sell when in a vendor window".

Does anyone have an educated guess as to when / if they put expansions on sale/discount? Or will VoA stay $40.00 until the next one comes out? I'd really like pick up VoA just for clickies from bags, but it's not worth full price to me since I'm nowhere near level 90, and not in a rush to get there. I mean, with Wal-mart cards and double sc, it's already down to about $15.00, but if it's just going to go to half-price in a month, I can wait.

Edit:

The337th posted:

Seriously a glorious thing, might finally get to put that loot all button to use.

Nerium told me about this the other day - shift + right-click. Automatically goes into loot window, loots everything, then closes corpse.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nurge posted:

Yeah I remember it working like that in the old days. It's just that I read on monkly business that when the standard h2h ratio surpasses the epic one (at lvl 60), it's supposed to override the 1.0 hands, but either it doesn't or there's something else that's wonky going on. Impossible to really know for sure since current info is so hard to come by now, and probably won't matter for too long anyway once I get to lvl 70 or so and get better weapons. I guess I'll download a dps parser and try to figure out what is going on there just for funsies.

Huh, I hadn't heard that. In "the old days", that'd be a Very Bad Thing, as while ratio matters for offhand, for mainhand you wanted the fast weapon (to apply damage bonus more often). I don't know if that's still true or not.

And you don't need a DPS parser. Take off all weapons. Click off all haste. Don't use epic clicky haste. Type "/log on". "/say Starting defiant test". Hit mob. Wait for 4-5 rounds of swings. "/say Starting epic test". Put on epic 1.0. Swing for 4-5 rounds, then type "/log off".

Then just open your Everquest folder, go to the logs folder, and open the log file. Look at the seconds time stamp. You probably already know this, but 10 delay = 1 second, so from there you can easily see what's going on. This method will be better than a DPS parser, as too many random things can throw off a DPS reading in EQ (bad luck in misses, dodges, run of min hits, etc).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

RCarr posted:

It's my day off, it's only natural the servers would be down.

So everyone can blame you for the extended downtime. Way to go, jerk!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

The337th posted:

Awesome bugginess abound since the servers were opened this morning. Popping a Rogue merc was crashing zones, so I'm sure the servers aren't going to be reopened til they fix that huge stability/exploit issue.

Wow. How does this happen? It's loving 2012. Are they running the game with $30k/year devs that are still in college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This all makes me sad :(

These things are overcome-able, and even an old code-base can be gradually improved over time. But those require continuous investment into the product - not just life support.