Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

cmdrk posted:

as someone who has never played past LoY - I honest to god thought you were making poo poo up ad-lib style to troll the thread.

Luclin naming conventions were only the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I have fond feelings of luclin expansion probably because it was the zenith of my heavy EQing as a teenager. EQ was different back then tho, and after TLPing and seeing the content bookended by what came before and goes after it definitely lets you scrutinize it better.

Nostalgia aside they clearly thought mistakes were made and headed in a different direction in terms of raid encounter and mob design. Luclin was kind of an endurance slog fest. All of the mobs have way too much hp; the idea of a hard encounter is almost time and endurance based. EQ's designers try this tactic on specific encounters in later expansions but almost all of luclin was like that.

The VT raid experience being the peak representation of this ideal, where the trash is the boss. On a fun run I went back with about 3-4 groups of anguish geared toons looking for clickies and alt gear. It wasnt hard but even with the power creep it took us like 3-4 hours to clear through the trash.

We just entered DoDH on aradune and the luclin pieces of relevance to me still are:
*Aten wrist- still the best pure caster dispell clicky. It is sublime. I dont know by what or when it'll be replaced.
*Tradeskill modifiers - hammer of ironfrost, shei shears and the tinkering robe.
*shrink clicky, the one with the alchemy modifier.
*The IVU clicky now has some relevance again at least in DoDH, tons of undead.
*Gate belt- you think, 10 seconds, which seems like a long time. Practically though if you didnt already have gate up its quicker than the mem, cool down, cast. And especially as gear and AA gets better there have been many times where the gate belt fired off despite lots of mobs pounding on me.

I imagine though that going forward on TLPs they won't undo the easing of the key experience they implemented on mischief. Shards are much, much easier to get after that and I imagine the experience will be less toxic and less of a barrier to raid gearing going forward.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 31, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Depths of Dark Hollow has been an enjoyable launch on aradune. The zones w/ depth designed for levi are absolutely my jam. Some guildies have hated it but I think they play third person which is definitely a pain dealing with the Z-Axis. In first person though the zone parkour adds some texture to the experience, and having CoTH for box smooths out a lot of headaches.

Server pop on launch is actually kind of nice and spread out. Seen lots of people moving through the content but none of the OW facing parts (which feel appropriately limited) have felt toxic. Instances and mobs feel like they're caught up with the power creep from the last 3 expansions without feeling oppressive. Most of my guild is now at a point where we haven't played through any of these expansions which has made it engaging.

The new spells and AA's (for mage at least) feel like they've added just enough to the game play to keep things interesting. Around luclin time I had several other players pressuring me to spell weave everything and set up my hotbars so it was all a single button press. I resisted that because it sounded really monotonous. For the moment at least, I'm glad that I never ingrained the habit because gift of mana and fickle fire enable some interesting choices, but they all involve nimbly changing up spell order rather than just jamming and cramming cooldowns. Might eat my words later, will see.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

super curious on that one, too. especially since you won't be earning AA for the first couple expansion unlocks, right? That starts at level 60? So 10 weeks of exp / running around before you can earn AA, unless they also tweaked that and it begins at 40..? (I've never really leveled an alt up in an era with AAs, so not being max-level when they were enabled, is unfamiliar to me)

It's gonna be a mess. Expecting a ton of emergency maintenance to take place when they realize they got a value wrong somewhere

Luclin AA's, the OGs, are available before and up to 60.

If DoDH is open on launch then autogrant should be open? I guess you'll get them autogranted as the level range unlocks.

E: looks like they'd open at the level 60 unlock and not launch?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

suuma posted:

I don't understand why they don't just relax it at launch, what's the point

I imagine they want yelinak there for returning players that don’t want different server rule sets. There at least they probably want to minimize rolling hoards of mage groups on launch (to the extent that they can).

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

cmdrk posted:

the new TLPs have me kinda pumped - Vaniki in particular I think will be a fun server to run around and do some content I've never done before. aside from LDON, is there any interesting LoY content worth checking out?

Dulak’s harbor is a decent zone. Pirate harbor. I saw power levelers and regular xp groups/alt groups returning back several expansions later. The pirate ships with the different crews are pretty cool. Some have some mini scripted events. If you’re a priest caster and you plan to raid there is a spell quest for an efficient cure spell that steers you through crypt of nadox.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

koreban posted:

That train that hit you mid camp, that was probably a bard or a monk doing that legitimately. That sort of thing has always been sort of a “fair play” part of EQ. The GMs still won’t do anything about it. It’s the classic EQ circa late-2000 experience.

They’ll actually hand out suspensions for training. We had an old guildy catch a 7 day after getting in a camp spat in velks and using his monk to drop a train on his interlocutors. Was last summer around ldon so server was kinda anemic too I was surprised they cared. You also need to be careful w/ training around launches when there is a lot more people on.

Most people don’t care anymore when they get trained but occasionally you’ll get a Karen running a complaint up the chain. Camp stealing or DPS racing seem pretty safe but if you try and train someone out just hope they don’t complain and definitely don’t be sloppy running around on launch I know people that have caught suspensions carelessly running stuff to zone during a launch.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Same. If they ever launch a meridian 59 tlp I am so boned

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Is it feasible to actually solo and not multi-box on a new TLP server? Will groups just ignore you? What about a non-TLP server if I just want to see content and work through things slowly?

Yeah that’s probably the best time for it, it has a certain seasonality so to speak. On a Aradune I played that way through most of Luclin and it felt like there was a shift halfway through. Better gear started to require some raiding and raiding starts to require flagging and attendance and people burn out on that.

Plus, xp groups sort of follow a well delineated path and zone meta, which gets stale fast. The further you get into a server, the population thats staying for the long haul is going to be more amenable to boxing and you just see less people trawling for pick up groups or having need of them. I feel like this is also compounded by xp bonus events, xp pots, etc.

The XPing part of the game has lessened in importance from my perspective. It’s easier to get and you power through it faster, leaving fewer and fewer people seeking it out of any sort of need. If that’s the part of the game you enjoy it’s really only there at the beginning.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Malaria posted:

So I have never boxed before in EQ. Planning to do Necro and Druid on the Yelinak. Any tips?

I basically plan to just plop my laptop on my desk and use a 12 button MMO mouse for macros on the box druid while being able to easily reach the keyboard on the laptop for moving/positioning . Seems easy enough?

I am wondering about being stuck in classic for 8 weeks though. Where do you even solo/duo during classic from 45+? I guess I never really played just classic, I did p99, so there were more options for the late 40s.

Once old plane of mischief opens that pair runs shop there.

For classic? Kedge keep.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Apparition posted:

There's a TLP server that is locked in POP, Agnarr I believe.

They recently let you transfer off agnarr too. So you can try that space w/ the quality of life improvements. Stay if you love it. Hop off on to aradune if you need an update that isn’t quite live.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

If y’all’s experience is like Aradunes a huge chunk of people will be done leveling in the first few days and moving on to epic grind. You ideally want to prepare to be working on your epic by then so you can hitch on to any epic trains. People get burnt out on those kinda quick (by like 3-4 weeks in?) and then you’re either pulling teeth to get people for your hard fights or waiting for power creep to make most of the encounters 1-2 groupable. Depending on your playgroup people may be swapping epic kills and helping for their alts.

It’s a good time to gear up and prepare boxes, finish up BIC on any characters before people stop inktuta completely (if y’all have anyone doing that one still).

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Verbose posted:

I was actually going to try Paladin in classic this time...do you just end up healing most of the time in the endgame? I know only warriors can tank raids right

Generally offtanking when it’s called for. The harder hitting boss mobs are usually tanked by warriors but there will be other situations where you need meat shields. Raid situations with lots of trash or adds you’ll be keeping those trash/adds off casters and healers.

Once luclin opens there is a hammer that drops which procs divine aura at which point they become the defacto ramp tank. On the hard hitting mobs that require a warrior tank the paladin will usually run in first to establish rampage agro and then try and stay alive.

After the early expansions as raids get a little more complexity there is usually some aspect included to keep the knights busy but usually not too many of them. Usually that’s not a huge problem for paladins because not a lot of people are itching to play them. SKs though I usually see more people wanting to play them than I see raids needing to have them.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the community like during one of these launches? As a solo with no pre-made, will I be able to get group spots to XP?

You will see a bustling mix of different people. Returning players from a variety of eras remembering and relearning the game. Speed runners, but they are going to make it out of the early game pre quick. Entrenched players from other TLPs that will be familiar but just want to check out the new server atmosphere. You will see a a box crew or two, they irritate some people but don’t let it get to you. If zone seems crowded try /pick and see if you can spread out.

It’s the best time for finding random groups. You might get a good one you might get a sloppy one.
Have fun with it!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

First day on yelinak has been fun. I missed launch on Aradune, so catching it this time it’s been a wonderful nostalgia romp. Got stomped by the Minotaur hero. Accidentally walked into a cyclops in rathe mountains, just pathin through and catching me by surprise after what felt like a fifteen minute walk from ak’anon. Got a suit of banded to market, even transacted in the ole EC tunnel. Good times :allears:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I stalled out at 12. You can’t keep banded in stock. Figure I’ll make hay while the sun is shining.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

What other raid mobs can you bind next to or close enough to I wonder?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Maaaaaaybe cragbeast queen? Could be pulled close to the wayfarer camp and people can bind right next to the magus in abysmal sea?

And there’ll be a team on vaniki willing to poopsock enough to snag the narrow spawn window OW I bet.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Glut of options there, what’ll you work on first?

A guildie was telling me that everyone seems to be grinding Ldons for 10 pts a pop because that’s the BiS gear at 40?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Verbose posted:

Are tradeskills worth it? Can't find anyone selling banded mail

Can be, if you can get to market early enough. At certain points there are player crafted items in high demand, but it is highly contextual. Banded is worth the time to grind right after launch because you can sell three to four suits for enough to buy a krono. But a day later you’ll need to sell double that for a krono, all the while more people are getting to market and starting to undercut each other, scooping potential sales etc. By day three you may need to sell ten+ sets for that same krono and you’ll be grinding all day. It becomes less worth it, to the point by now I know I moved back to my home server after grinding banded on yelinak, it eventually wasn’t worth the time.

In luclin there is another rush to sell items for solstice earring quest. Research will have its last hurrah and then be p much useless until mechanoinstructions in DoDH. I was able to sell pop crafted stuff into GoD and then it fell off. In OoW (early, at least) it’s crafted augments, so JC, alchemy and BS.

Tradeskills also become important for certain quests that many people will try and complete. Coldain prayer shawl in velious. Aid grimmel in PoP. In cases like this, the mats can be worth farming and selling just because so many people will be skilling up for the quest.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Verbose posted:

You can only max out two at once right? And then the requirements get lifted later?

They changed it seems like and I don’t remember the exact timeline if it’s luclin or pop but new taanan crafting mastery will let you raise all the skills to 300 with the AAs. That is prohibitively time intensive to do until later expansions with just about everything but baking, brewing, arguably jewelcrafting (tho sort of expensive, not hard per se).

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

What is the price up to?

Plat just pours into the economy non stop. I was running my mages to south Karana and passed through rathe mountains and there was a group there that had hill giant to themselves. All day. They got there in less than 24 hours from launch. With no one loving with them they can probably automate it too, but even if they didn’t one guy could man that hill. I know at one point having that hill to myself you can squeeze 10k up every few hours. And that plat just ping pongs around the server as people use it to extract krono so you don’t really see it sequestered I’d imagine until plat raids are more of a thing.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Verbose posted:

It's been forever, how do you start smithing?

All the guides on any subject seem to assume familiarity

Like is it still solo til 4 and then go to orc hill?

You hold on to the rusty weapons you’re finding. Buy sharpening stones to turn them into tarnished. This gets skill to low 20’s. Break the tarnished weapons down into ore which you then into scalers. This gets you somewhere around 30-40 at which point you make lanterns. That goes to the 50’s then you make banded gorgets and start trying to make banded pieces. If you can sell some banded it starts to pay for itself. Later plat gets easier and you can get to ~150 for a couple of hundred plat, but it’s hard to throw that much away starting out.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah that reward looks really tasty. I started on yelinak tho and really don’t want to add any more lower level grinding to my to do list. PoR put a knife in the heart of my old aradune guild and the new one I found everyone is sort of biding their time until TSS and grinding a lot on yelinak so that’s where I’ve been.

That 10 AC food reward is so dank though. Someone was giving away a bunch in guild lobby and I have a few stacks ferreted away. May just count on them being abundantly given away.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Hard pressed to think of any of the quality of life improvements or some of the even more substantial parts of the game I’d want to play without.

Two are obvious to me in how they’ve changed the way you interact with the game but that are both sort of universally loved.

Maps. I love maps, but you move through and learn and interact with zones in a different way when you know where all the zone lines are, have everything labeled etc. But I wouldn’t want to move backwards towards /locing all the time, dead reckoning where to go, losing a chunk of time here and there just moving about.

The extended targeting window. The broadened awareness this provides and the way it enables hotkeying is game changing, but to me in a positive way. It enables a more nimble and interesting style of game play for support classes. Whenever I level up a new character I miss it big time until I hit level 20 and it feels like you can see what’s going on.

The old old style eq that was a little more communitarian and a lot more punishing time wise just seems less viable in an age where a week of frustrating experiences will prompt a player to log into another game or opt for a different experience. That kind of austere mmo that depends on other people to progress is going to suffer from not being able to keep the people around you need for that sort of experience. TLPs recapitulate this experience every time and that’s even with the QoL gamechangers like parcels, krono, guild hall, etc etc. Would project 1999 be able to avoid this sort of force of gravity if it moved beyond velious? Not sure it could.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Moving through old zones vs new zones you can feel the shift in mentality. Kunark and velious especially but even still somewhat in luclin zone lines would be obscured and sometimes hidden behind horizons, corners, forked tunnels etc. And of course eq atlas was a thing but I wasn’t alt+Tabbing to check websites and especially at first (though there was a period otherwise) I wouldn’t print a map out from eq atlas.

And then you have expansions and zones like broodlands. One zone. Pentagon in shape. All the other zones in the expansion accessed via waypoints.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Waroduce posted:

1. I'm in South Quenyos which is a bit off my standard leveling path. where should I go when I hit like 10/12? I see people posting LFG's and such like 15 War LFG anywhere and I'm assuming those people have higher level chars/connections that can handle travel for them.

1b. I would be open to any advance for zone leveling path advice.

clicky reference if you prefer: https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/

The locus of activity on an early TLP is going to be the EC tunnel which to some extent defines the leveling path if you're using conventional groups. Many newbie zones have a corner of slightly higher level mobs that will take you to 10 when it really slows down and you have to start moving. If you want to stay outdoors and are in the west you want to work your way to maybe South Karana, which can accomodate someone til mid twenties. If you cross South Karana into Lake Rathetear, right at the zone line is a camp of gnolls and you see people group there like level 10-15 and climb the rest of the way in South K. If you go this route you can have someone bind you in the gypsy camp in north karana where there is also a parcel/merchant. I'd call this the anti-social path tbh.

For the social path, Most people probably do some variant of Unrest starting around 10-12, but it can be crowded. Easy to find groups though. You can move to desert of Ro in your middle teens to twenty or so. For dungeons Upper Guk (off innothule) or Solusek A (off lavastorm) are an option which will carry you to mid 20's and higher depending on group and patience for grinding. For thirties there are fewer options. Cazic Thule if you're in Southern Antonica is an option though I saw sparse grouping when I passed through there last week while leveling. Mistmoore had more activity but moving into the zone will require a group and poor pulling or crowd controlling will be punished. Those zones will take you to 40 or so, where you want to move on to LGuk or SolB. Ocean of Tears is an option but I wouldn't recommend it, everyone at the seafury cyclops is using eyes and is very aggressive.

quote:

2. Related to travel, I have 0 moneies, so I'm assuming beg or hoof it are my options currently and there are no like mounts or cute fast travel mechanics I am unaware of on a TLP?

If you're patient hoof it. At this point on the TLP there are tons of taxi porters though. /join taxi, ask in the continent channel, or /tell a druid you see thats high level on a "/who all druid 40 50" that is sitting in ecommonlands. The timed saved is worth the plat especially as you raise in level and the plat drops a little more easily.

quote:

3. I purchased a Chronos bc I have more money than time, and I want to sell it in game to fund my character's travel, pre-planar gear and general quality of life. Is this viable on a TLP? I'm assuming since no Bazaar, I should Seelo's my way over to EC tunnel? What is a decent price usually? If this is against rules or something obv I will not do it, but it seemed like Daybreak is cool with hit.

Yeah this is probably (one of the main) intended purpose of krono tbh. Easiest to move on tunnel, the krono buyers/sellers usually sitting around Shady Swashbuckler in center of tunnel cave. You should expect the price to increase over time on early tlp. People are haggling somewhere around 2500 right now, it depends on how much of a hurry you're in. I bought my last one on 6/22 for 2700, I may have slightly over paid because I wasn't interested in sitting in tunnel. But the longer you wait you expect that to edge up and occasionally jump, though it can fall again when the server plateaus population wize here in a year or two. Generally, always be converting your plat to krono at appropriate junctures that you don't need it for gear or spells.

quote:

3a. Related to purchasing items is there any like....items sold tracker or stuff that I can utilize for price checking or not without the bazaar?

https://araduneauctions.net/

quote:

4. What in the gently caress is up with the advanced loot tool? It's a wonderful feature and best I can intuit I've currently got it set to only pop on new items which I than can filter via Need, Greed, AN, AG and some other options. Is Need/Greed session/group specific and AN/AG is like...forever if it drops again? Is there a little guide or FAQ related to this floating around anywhere?

It can be a pain to learn but advanced loot is The Way. Generally if it stacks default to always need. Most people set everything to always need and then never look at their window again until a no drop item forces them to. Usually don't get those to AN, someone will get grumpy if you accidentally loot a no drop. If you don't have good bags, be careful about setting junk that doesnt stack to AN, like rusty weapons, etc. Those will eventually be set to Never for most people.

If your bags are full and you're overwhelmed w/ loot until you see a merchant, Click off "Apply filters" and it'll stop filling your bags and your cursor until you turn it back on.

Have fun.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Raid gearing w/ dkp is sort of a long game. You have to build up a solid bidding position and plan your purchases a little carefully. You don’t want to spend a whole lot of dkp on things which will be forcibly upgraded in the next xpac or two. It’s also tough in the early expansions because there is a lot of churn. There is always some jabrone w/ 15-20 dkp happy to bid you up on the low end and on the high end you never know when you’re bidding against people willing to dump their dkp on a toon that’s destined for ectunnel/RMT.

You almost want to be saving up for a bidding position in velious or luclin. And once in a solid position look for cheap buys which are usually later in the expansion.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I feel like only thing worth spending dkp on in classic is Shield of the Immaculate. Still clicking it in PoR.

On aradune I spent a bunch of dkp in velious and luclin and entered PoP well geared and prepared to attack content. Which helped, and it was nice for finishing things like aid grimmel and PoTime to not be poverty geared. But all of that got replaced fairly quickly in PoP with a handful of exceptions.

In Velious there are a lot of maintenance buys that melees will probably want to do. For instance a good haste item from NTOV, a decent weapon to upgrade your 1.0 with maybe. If you’re a monk try and go for broke one am Abashi’s maybe. Almost everything else is forgettable tho. If you’re not a tank you can be patient with gearing.

Luclin things sort of get interesting. There are some forever items interspersed with the replaceable fodder. But like, a lot of times I wasn’t looking at the loot that way when I was bidding on it on my first tlp play through. I ended up having to pick up the important stuff on plat raids and small grouping. But if I played through again I would probably be more focused on those things like the tradeskill mods and crucial clickies.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I think things like colluding with buddies and saving and finding the moment to strike and thinking about what item is best for who are all solid ideals in a dkp generally that are at times seriously challenged and complicated by the compacted gearing cycle and general nature of TLPs.

Your DKP guild is essentially just a gear marketplace of sorts. And you don’t know when it’ll collapse or necessarily the motivations of the other participants. You will get rival crews that bid each other up. There are a limited number of raids in era, and RNG/the loot table can really screw a raid group on certain items. Colluding is well and good but what if you agree to low bid with someone, they get theirs first. The next never drops. They’re gone next xpac. You were the greater fool. I’ve seen it happen! You can also bid big on an item, blow your load. And it drops 12 more times and starts rotting! Seem that too.

It’s a judgement call and a lot of it depends on how much your trust the other people you’re bidding against/gearing with and how long you think the train will stay together. As an example, my aradune guild folded at beginning of PoR. There was one raid to blow the dkp before the sheet disappeared and they merged somewhere else. There were a lot of people who bet long who didn’t get to use their dkp v well and passed on a lot of stuff along the way. Doesn’t feel good.

I like to try and cash out as you go. Saving up too far ahead is risky. Collude with old tlp buddies but not random top parsing monk that’s gonna be gone next xpac.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

For real you guys broke opendkp when LDoN opened. Took them a week or so to fix it, I was having to go back on off hours to finish up the raid bookkeeping.

The abundance of loot feels like it would accelerate how pointless the content becomes. When we got too much of certain items and things rot and go to alts our attendance would suffer. Feels like on some level people need a reason to want to keep coming. I suppose everything can be sold on mischief so that gives extra loot some currency. Being unfamiliar with the economy there, how quickly do the prices tank?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

MF_James posted:

OoW/DoN/DoDH are decent expansions, they introduce actual raid mechanics and will start to weed out the mouth breathers (especially DoDH). I hated PoR on live so I'm sure it won't be any better here, but TSS/TBS were good and I'm very much looking forward to stuff after that like SoD and HoT.

The zones and content are fine but it’s just not enough after DoDH to replace what falls off the schedule before it. No one has anything to do. I think 3-4 raid guilds finally tapped out on our server w/in first two weeks of PoR. Deathknell is cool but super short. Theater of Blood is not great for the PiTA it presents. There was a plat raid on Saturday that cleared the OW mobs and then several again in DZ and the loot was just so bad. Even demiplane starts running out of steam pre TSS. Stoked for that one at least.

quote:

Honestly I have ZERO loving clue how anyone can play classic->kunark->velious ad infinitum because that poo poo is so loving boring, especially classic but holy gently caress does NToV suck dick, fighting dragons for 20-30 minutes where the only mechanic is press autoattack and make sure you have MR buffs so you get feared less is awful.

Hard agree. I’ve been leveling up some yelinak toons for krono farming and as a lifeboat and it’s funny watching the whole recycle process play out again after having gone through it naively as a new tlper/returning player.

Lady Nev in era :suicide:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I quite enjoy the focused dungeon experience that LDON is, but I just don't care enough to stick around after PoP as well for it. Plus, its more of a mid range exp no?

There are raids. With some augs that have super long shelf life. That recently had their drop rate increased. And while the expansion Aug is widely panned as not worth doing, if you have a good system for grinding it out it’s still like 2nd/3rd BIS charm Aug still in PoR. And the other two drop from raids that people hate doing so they fell off our schedule fast.

It’s super grindy tho. But there are a handful of things out of it that have value.

Edit: also oddly enough the technical BIS bow drops in a rujark hills two group LDoN that was until just 2 months ago completely broken. The bow could drop but the event would always result in failure. They fixed the part about the auto fail. Which is bittersweet because bow rangers stop being a thing starting in GoD.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 28, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Waroduce posted:

does Krono go up or down from this price point?

Probably up. My memory of Aradune server was it got to ~11k by the end of velious. Peaked on Aradune sometime around 120ishk around OoW and has fallen down to 55k since. Mischief was wackier from what I remember.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

Apparently a fresh wave of account suspensions / bans went out. Check your emails.. looks like all mine are still safe.

Wonder what the software was that they got touchy about.

Manual inputs all the way, but that’s just me. Plus you get to feel like some sort of jam band keys player, except it’s your elf simulator.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I can't recommend enough setting up hotkey sets and saving them by right click, save spell set. You can then make social hotkeys w/ /mem "Spellsetname" and this opens up a whole world of macro hotkeys that can swap out a single spell for a cast then reset to your standard spell set, etc. etc. Makes caster life a lot simpler. If you empty out the spell bar and mem a spell set w/ a single gem, when you swap spell sets it'll only affect that gem slot etc. (so you don't set up spell sets that cycle all 8 gems every time).

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

RCarr posted:

Wait, whaaaaat!?

Since when?

That sucks

Change went in towards the end of luclin on Aradune prior to mischief launch, presumably to cut down on the AOE PLers on aradune and in advance of mischief. I saw many say it wouldn’t effect anything the plers would just stack more chanters but it did seem to shut it down pretty effectively. Now it’s DS power leveling with burner bards.

LuckyCat posted:

Also do cash shop exp potions stack with the 76% bonus going right now?

Yes.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 4, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I have a lot of googling and reading to do. If anyone has any helpful links or wants to write words about bards (or enchanters!) in PoH that would be super cool too :) I gotta find some How To Pull In Hate guides since it seems like if there's not a monk its gunna be meeeeeee

The enc and bard gear dropping mobs are both highly magic resistant. Charm an abhorrent if it’s a dz or you find one up OW (backstab damage).

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I got my main pair on Yelinak to fifty and now I’m stuck figuring out what to do next. I mostly leveled the characters up to be able to participate in small grouping efforts and now that that is achieved I don’t know if I want to lean in harder and develop the characters, level up an enc, or gently caress off back to Aradune where my task list is extant but composed mostly of more tedious tradeskill farming or alt character development until TSS lands. There is stuff to do but almost none of it urgent.

I’ve been making a small but steady stream of krono just leveling up and have mostly funneled that into gear for Aradune bard and shaman. But while it’s nice to do that and have some spare Kronos for bard account I’m not super interested in going hard krono farming as opposed to working on something else. Butting heads with people at camps or farming hill giants/cyclops sounds kinda miserable. But all of the 1.0 pre farm spots are apparently crowded already too so I don’t feel a lot of drive to do those yet.

I shouldn’t power level an enc but I kinda want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Sure, I honestly didn't grok it when I came back to EQ it didnt really click for me til I been back playing for awhile. Kronos tie a lot of different aspects of the game together, and I would argue are a net positive for the long term health of the game.

SO on its face a Krono is a token sold by Daybreak games for ~$18.00. Krono can be exchanged for one month of game subscription time, which Daybreak usually charges something like $14.00/month for, less if you subscribe for longer blocks than a month. Krono can be traded to other players in game. This fungibility is why they charge more for it as the fungibility is where the real value resides.

It is tied to the ACCOUNT and not the character, which means a krono obtained on Yelinak can be taken back to another server, in my case Aradune, and traded there. This enables cross server economies.

Probably one of the most common uses for a krono on an early TLP is someone will buy the krono from daybreak and then trade it to other players, usually for platinum or an item. This helps players get a head start on something they may not wanted to have spent the time to do or did not know how to do efficiently. It also loops DBG into a cut of RMT economy. There was always a contingent of players buying and selling items on everquest, even back in the day. Now some of that impulse helps pay for the game.

It also gives people a way to play for free on the subscription servers by buying and selling items and services to other players. Many krono farmers just want to keep their six accounts going.

Some others sell krono on the black market. Which is frowned upon by DBG and can earn an account ban if they catch you. But yeah usually kronos sell on the black market for $10-11.

What I like about krono is that it provides an avenue to play the game on one server, earn krono, and then take it back to another server to invest that effort into characters I am more emotionally invested in. This enables cool things, like turning a few sets of banded armor on Yelinak into an anguish chestpiece for my bard on Aradune. As servers age eventually you see the emergence of GDKP and plat raids where server communities organize pick up raids to down end game content for people to gear alts or to raid content that has fallen off guild schedules. Commonly at our GDKP raids there is a krono conversion so you dont have to pay plat. Which is how I turned my banded on yelinak into no drop items on aradune.

As a server ages, platinum is constantly being dumped into the economy. And while each expansion has new platinum sinks, they never keep up. The value of platinum is constantly dropping. Krono is pegged to subscription time and the dollar, and so what results is platinum is constantly experiencing inflation while krono is kind of stable. TLPers with an eye on the long game use this. Its why people say always convert your platinum to krono when you can. On aradune, krono I obtained when it was worth 11k can eventually, if you're patient, be sold for 10x that in platinum. While platinum is constantly pouring into the game, in later expansions it isnt necessarily a trivial feat to quickly scrap up 100k like it is to scrap up 3k in classic. So people keep their savings in krono, and then later if they need plat sell a krono for it. Krono price can and has dropped on servers, but trend on early TLP is always up.

Krono at heart provides another income stream to daybreak, and incentivizes disparate types of players with wildly different motivations for playing to interact with each other. It is the backbone of modern EQ economy.