Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Malt posted:

They mentioned that if it works here, its something they would roll out to live servers as well prior to announcing what it was.

However it is ambiguous if it refers to this or the legacy character xp bonus. Which seems more likely to be implemented across the board (from my perspective at least) than something like encounter lock which feels like a radical change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Several people have been pointing out a possible raid cheese: have a monk/bard train pull zone trash out of the way, run raid through and park, drop agro and lock and let the mobs walk back into place. No trash clears. In theory.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

koreban posted:

I read the announcement about the damage locking to the group that initiates the fight. I didn’t see where it said the mob wouldn’t get aggro from out of group sources, or that it couldn’t damage out of group players.

If they responded in a thread somewhere that aggro is fixed only to the puller and their group/raid, I missed that post.

They vague posted once in the producers letter and opened the comment to response. It’s unclear in every direction. Their description doesn’t indicate how agro table (or many other aspects like oog healing) will work and so we’re all conjecturing basically.

They did say that mobs will go back to spawn and then reset. So it would be off to maintain agro through that event and would make everything super trainy, so I’m personally skeptical but then again I wouldn’t be surprised if they implemented that kind of poo poo show.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

BabelFish posted:

I'm starting to get the itch again. Is Mischief worth jumping back into if I stopped playing all the way back at the end of Luclin, or will I just be forever playing catch-up?

Now is a good time. I think autogrant opens up all the way to Omens of War here pretty soon for Mischief in Secrets of Faydwer. I say soon but thats like four months way. The Buried Sea is opening up soon (as in later this month) which is a non leveling, lull expac. Your only really priority during that expac will be to get max level, get solteris flagged, and find either a plat raid, a guild you join, or a samaritan guild that will have an open raid spot to let you sit in guild lobby and collect raid credit. Having the raid credits for solteris will let you buy raid gear really easily in era, which becomes decent catch up gear in SoF, and will also leave you raid credited to participate in old man mckenzie raids in Seeds of Destruction. Having that wrapped up, some classes will need their 2.0 for the click (notably shaman/bard/cleric) or the focus (necro). But many classes can forgo that. If you want to jump in and raid heavily you might need to think about that. If you just want to jump in, just worry about getting in a solteris clear sometime before July.

Thats a lot of words to say,

tl;dr: Now is a decent time to catch up on mischief. Once SoF starts in like four months, it will become harder to catch up, because the pace of the game picks up and you get buried in content and opportunity cost with your time becomes real. Catching up in later eras will necessarily mean being behind in whatever is concurrent.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

More DPS is usually a good strategy. I will say though that in secrets of Faydwer and then again in seeds of destruction the mobs start really trucking and it’s harder to ignore the tank and priest side of groups. I’m told the trend continues in underfoot. There were lots of moments in secrets of faydwer when the cleric healing on their own was not enough to keep up healing a warrior absent other support (either reptile or a spot healer, a CCer, a more thoughtful puller etc.). It’s a good thing though the mobs were really undertuned in previous eras.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

You can streamline a keypad set up and drive a group with some success but you’re gonna develop carpal tunnel. It involves a fair bit of set up, a little planning and some practice for muscle memory but any set up will once you go past three or so. Synergy groups are killing fast and each character is usually squeezing in the same narrow loop of actions, so that 6th character can get away with a five key pad whereas some of the more involved toons need more keys and I’ll use a 23-key pad so you can map an aswd for movement, some basic stuff like auto run and auto attack and the important functions and you have a lot of control that feels pretty natural once you get the hang of it. But, again, turn back. Carpal tunnel.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

RCarr posted:

So I bought multiplicity and I can’t find either of my other 2 computers….

What am I supposed to do?

If you have a strong enough PC you can run a virtual machine I am told. The one person I know that plays that way, it sounds like a pain in the rear end to me. But you can do it. P sure they use multiplicity or input director.

Re: cheap options one of my guildies got eq up and running on I think it’s a steam deck? Some of the cheapy NUC’s w/ celerons also work fine. Old computers in the closet? Check a family member for any hunk of junk collecting dust in their garage/closet? People joke you can run eq on a toaster/potato, and there is some truth there.

Edit: was told it’ll run fine in a surface pro. I have not tested to see if I can get it up and running on my kids Chromebook but I’m curious now.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 12, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

When comparing the boxes, generally anything with a celeron is fine, you’ll want to turn a lot of graphic stuff down, and if you jump off say the bridge in valdehom or the cliff outside high pass, because of low frame rate, you will die from fall damage. Anything with an i3 or better you’re probably not going to die from frame rate fall damage. Is one way to gauge it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

That’s why I like the manual button pressing. It seems so much simpler.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

blatman posted:

it runs like poo poo on my chromebook via crossover

Good to know. I’m kind of always looking for the bare minimum that’ll get by and then watching for a bargain. What’s the crappiest hunk of junk that is still useful, etc. Sounds like Chromebook wouldn’t get past the usefulness threshold.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

They released the oakwynd faq. Highlights:

*No drop loot will automatically be heirloom.
*on legacy server rule sets, lockouts from AOCs will be for individual characters and not account wide.
*FTE will unlock if you use /yell if you need help
*mobs do not have to return home before unlocking, just be out of combat with a clear agro list and then short refractory period, but does not need to return to home.
*some encounters will not be FTE if it screws with a mechanic.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

People tripping on the FTE thing but the feel of the server to me is definitely low friction server for people that only want to maintain one account but would like a little protection against getting bored with your main and feeling sunk cost into a character you don’t love. People can work on their Swiss Army knife set of characters. Some people will still stick to one, but you’ll have some people on your raid roster that will be able to nimbly switch roles. Used to that was exclusively the domain of try hard boxers maintaining multiple accounts, but now a more casual player can play and experience a broader slice of the game than just one class.

It would appeal to a different player base than the last few TLPs have in my opinion, which is fine.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Malaria posted:

So who here is gonna play on Oakwynd?

I'm gonna join the Dargons guild. I've been hanging in their discord for a few days, everyone seems super chill and the raid nights fit my schedule.

Gonna roll a 3 box of some sort to start. Not 100% sure what yet.

I’ve been watching but not committing to anything other than trying to have some launch fun on the server.

I appreciate dargons chill vibes but I’m not crazy about a random based loot system at least absent the details. Having run dkp for a guild I understand the reticence with book keeping but I have a hard time coming around to random being the best way to go. I join in on fun runs on weekends where they random all the loot and after you’ve had some bad runs of luck the motivation to keep attending really lags and regular attendance is super patchy. DKP is tedious but it has a way of incentivizing and rewarding consistency.

That said curious to see what the loot council aspect involves. I’m in a modified loot council guild now and am generally happy with it but it tracks heavily and depends on some robust automation and reporting.

I don’t feel like try harding in a progression guild but if all the bonus and casual stuff really makes
it easy to maintain a vacation toon I’d try and catch some of the good farming and tradeskilling.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

MF_James posted:

No clue, just that we use it, haven't played a TLP (or EQ live) since... Combine so I'm not super familiar with the history from the past 15 years. It works well enough, way better than doing anything manually, but there's plenty of backend quirks and issues that probably weren't caught during previous TLPs. We're loading so much loot in at a time we've gotta be careful about adding too many items for bid at once, some issues when loading ticks due to how the server writes to the DB, and occasionally the site just eats poo poo (possibly due to peak utilization times) and becomes unusable where auctions will get frozen and people get kicked to the login etc.

I think it’s a volume thing. Was using Opendkp when mischief started and once they hit LDoN particularly after they exploded the loot in the raid chests the website would freeze every time mischief hit peak raid hours.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

OsteoMcB posted:

Any recommendations on a class to box with a berserker? I've been playing for a little bit on Bristlebane to level 10 and I don't mind the current progression but I know I can pick up the pace somewhere.

Shaman is the support option. You could also make something like SK work. Burly, can pull and make the zerkers life easier, has great snap agro. You just DPS everything to death before it can kill your tank.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I added a warrior to my group in prophecy of ro because I was feeling a lack of a tank acutely and tank has only become more instrumental since. It felt essential to avoiding downtime in secrets of faydwer. Gear is cheap on mischief though so that takes a little of the sting out of raising one up. Since you’re boxing, a warrior is really nice because it doesn’t have a spell rotation. It’s more gear intensive, but being on mischief should help ease that. Having a tank opens up a lot of areas to you. I know your buddy is going to have the sk, but in TSS and beyond you will be particularly dependent on him. Mobs start hitting pretty hard and non-mage pets really fall behind.

The bard is also a good choice. They are at a local peak in their dps during TSS, they’re practically plate wizards. You have to pay a little more attention to get the most out of your bellows so they won’t hit that high dps as just an afk box bars but they are really good.

Re: caster DPS, wizards start to slap again in TSS. Mages are tepid DPS until secrets of faydwer. TSS is especially painful because some of the dps upgrades don’t arrive until TBS. If you’re going to main a necro you won’t really be able to avoid picking up an epic 2.0 but unfortunately you may have missed the window on getting a 2.5 page, not sure if anyone still did DoDH content late over there or hoarded pages (were those tradable on mischief?). Because of the dot focus the necro epic doesn’t lose relevance until long after its stats have gone stale.

If I remember right the beast epic was a pet buff like the mages. So getting the 2.0 ought to be trivial and it’ll go straight in your bag. Weapons in TSS were brutal on our server but assuming they’re better on mischief you should be able to buy something with a better ratio than 2.0.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Coolnezzz posted:

God drat fibblebrap 4 is loving garbage. Took about 2 hours of just trying to get into the place with a whole bunch of deaths, now I'm continually wiping just in the entrance from horrible pulls. My EQ game is loving weak.

Thanks for the tips about gearing.

As for moving around illsalin and lots of DoDH in general (presuming that was the zone? Based on zone in for FF#4), since you said you had the mage, you can stack mage self improved invis with your shadow knights IVU. It’s not as good as sun cloak but it still is p effective for dropping your mage somewhere and cothing in the calvary.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Coolnezzz posted:

Also I really need to gear up the SK, I thought he was pretty well off but I seem to be lacking the AC and HP needed to survive these fights, I have zero augs on any of my characters other than weapon procs.

The AC race picks up now and won’t get easier (I’m told) until about underfoot, where the group gear advances to the point you can tank raid content with it.

Until then you really want to pack ac everywhere you can which means ac augs. The riftseeker’s sanctum camps are really easy for you right now and the try hard are all sweating it out in dreadspire keep for the newer/marginally better ac augs. Those plus securing reptile and sloth from your priests and you’ll feel like a whole new tank. Pulling and stomping 10+ mobs at time.

Tanks get really fun in this stretch of expacs but it really hinges on reptile, great gear or a little bit of both.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 27, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

everwake posted:

I...did not see that a new progression server was literally coming out. That probably makes the most sense. I assume it's proper classic EQ where soloing for most classes isn't possible after the first few levels? If I can pretty much always join and leave a group that might not be a problem.

New server is supposed to be amenable to single accounters who don’t want to box. The No drop loot is all heirloom so you can share it between your characters if you want to pivot to a different melee/hybrid/caster/priest etc. Pick up grouping ought to be solid through to planes of power then it falls off a bit in my experience. That’s a little under a year I think which brings you up to next years tlp probably, usually a good juncture for people to decide if they want to double down, reroll or take a break.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Coolnezzz posted:

Alright, having a geared SK with decrepit skin + druid reptile + mage/druid/bard PB AE in Fibblebrap 5 is pretty great. I only just tried it out for a few minutes and I have some macro optimizations and probably spell optimizations with my group to do but this seems amazing so far. My poor shaman doesn't much to do, most of the work seems to be coming from the mage/bard damage shield with a little help from the monk and SK melee damage.

Thanks all for helping me get here! Any tips on optimizing AE damage to go along with the damage shields?

Your shaman has an AE poison cone which should work nicely. Shamans get it from the level 69 spell arc in DoDh.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Is a slow time in general but GoD not super exciting (in my opinion) so I sort of understand the late expac slump for it. The compression of classic and kunark also landed GoD at an earlier window for yelinak. On aradune we had GoD land at the end of summer, after the tlp launch rush. For Yelinak it’s landing before summer at the beginning of a tlp launch cycle. People are going outside more doesn’t help the other factors.

I feel like when I was in GoD last I ran out of stuff to do fairly quickly. Can only pre-farm a fraction of 2.0 epic stuff, and the aa counts per expac are really low. I think I spent the time finishing BIC on alts, finishing my LDoN charm Aug and working on tradeskills. I don’t remember a ton of activity because everyone was off on mischief.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

On aradune we were down to 40k krono at end of SoF. Prices were low enough Richgirly showed up to hustle the gamblers again. Then SoD hit and OMMs just dumped a huge stream of plat into the economy and now we’re up to 150k again for first time in over a year I wanna say, maybe two. Krono fell for like 18 months straight for us.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

I think GoD is the beginning of the end of pick up group activity and that’s noticeable for people who aren’t in strong guilds. Like just the idea of doing Tipt with random people is horrifying. You’d rather not play than try to form pick up groups for GoD content. If your guild is busy then the expansion feels busy, otherwise it’s a bust.

I think another aspect of it is that the increase in mob difficulty starts to intensify the dynamic where you need tanks with some raid gear to start tanking your group content (splitpaw doesn’t count I guess but maybe that’s why all the groups end up there). The absence of a tank is seriously felt and everyone by then is spoiled by a soon-to-be-defunct group meta that leveraged charm pets to take care of everything. Before GoD in lots of situations you can get away with off meta groups but that starts getting punished. So you need a tank with some gear and the ones around are always raid logging, in a clique or boxing.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Rangers peaks in PoP I felt like. They start meleeing again in gates and omens but they’re pretty mediocre for a long time. So many expansions later in Seeds of Destruction they’re improving again but I don’t know where that ends. On our parses they’re creeping up into top ten but usually #6-10. Sometimes one of the splitting guilds will share a split parse with the rangers on top.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

The zone wide rare drops in a sense are crueler than the rare camps. My mage really wanted the root clicky from gyrospire beza. Saw it drop on launch night in my leveling group and a rogue won it. I cleared that instance almost every day in era for three months and many days twice and sometimes more than that and I haven’t seen it again. I even leveled up another set of alts and tweaked my group comp to shave thirty minutes off my run time. The DA clickies in DoDH eventually showed themselves but I still need that root click from
SoF. Haven’t had the heart to go back and farm it post a little power creep but maybe in underfoot.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

The obvious one that is advertised as working as intended is using your cleric to drop a heal and sitting to grab agro and break encounter lock and then it’s just business as usual.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

The thing with EverQuest being very old is that it’s heavily played through and there is sort of an established meta that a lot of people commonly stick to and then drop off of once classic ends. For a certain style of player that is gonna grind to fifty in pugs or a static group, enc is really good because it’s always sought after for the high DPS of its charm pet and it’s mana regeneration buff. But it always wants a few other specific classes with it, so it’s sort of ascendant within its niche. But if you don’t love that niche (xp grinding in dungeons with other people) it’s not that fun.

I always enjoyed soloing in classic and having a reasonably independent character and so I enjoyed the soloing classes which were much more of a popular niche in classic. Necro probably the best for that but I always preferred and had success with mage. I just enjoyed it more, although now it’s sort of disparaged as a thoughtless class that you play mostly on launches and while you get gear for other classes. But I love it, it’s the superior trade skill farming class in my opinion and only gets better in the later expansions. But a lot of people don’t enjoy that aspect of the game and so they wouldn’t value it over say, a high ceiling DPS always sought after class like enc.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

MF_James posted:

Apparently SOF is like a revival of caster DPS though, this is the expansion mischief is about to hit.

Yeah its a real breath of fresh air after being bad for several expacs. Wizards start to feel it in TSS but its not til SoF for mages and in SoD necros are starting to nip at my heals on the parse now too. Monks and rogues have lapsed a bit, rangers have recovered a little. Warriors actually start to do some damage.

Underfoot opens up for us here a day after oakwynd launches. Its a weird time on the server because population always ebbs a bit before summer and with tlp launches. Diablo 4 is also not helping matters. Lot of competition for peoples' time. Raid attendance has been haggard past few weeks. Will people come back for launch? Which guilds will make it through to House of Thule in July? I really don't want to reguild again, so, it is tense times on aradune.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Every era is a little different but some things are always in need. My server is entering the later era of the game and we have mercs and most of the QoL changes. In an era with mercs and severe population fall off, the rate limiting class for most groups seems to be a tank. Tanks are the center of cliques and what most groups need to attack harder content. There is plenty of other merc groupable content below that, but I see people complain about needing tanks the most. In earlier eras, this is less the case because there is a glut of SKs.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Depends on era I suppose. SoD/85 and after it’s been a lot easier keeping the tank geared. Group gear gets rebalanced a fair bit after statflation creates more gear tiers. OP has mercs, so they’re not in the earlier era where tank gearing is more painful.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Getting to end game live is a slog either way you approach it. On my tlp home server I started at end of kunark and three years in it feels close to live but we’re still like two years out I wanna say, opening up level 95 today.

If your plan is to play this out with your static group I’d almost recommend against starting on a young tlp, you will be inevitably disappointed when your group drops off one by one and you have to reassess your plan, desire to play and reasons anyway. IMO New TLP is mostly for people who want to play a season for nostalgia and move on. Usually, each tlp will have a small group of guilds going the distance but it’s often not the same group of people you started off playing with or meet in the early eras.

Since you have a static group, it’s an oddball server but you could try vaniki. It’s a challenge server with fast xp rates and boosted loot. You can kind of speed run a lot of the earlier stuff, catch up to middle late era really quick and it’ll ride out to live sooner than other TLPs. Low server pop though.

Mischief is also an easy start if you don’t mind buying/spending a krono, but they are just now entering into the part of the game where gear was getting easier anyway and now the time sink is in things like maintaining AA. Which is kind of tedious not gonna lie. I had no trouble keeping up with AA but starting around level 80 they add a lot of it and those were the first expansions I wasn’t entering launch with full bank and now I’m actually behind again. Which can be nice since you’re not bored with nothing to work for on your main. But at the same time I’m now chronically behind and the climb is getting steeper. My alts/newer characters are even farther behind. The launches for each expac also start to sprawl. A lot of those xpacs in the early eras you launch for a few days and then the xpac is on farm. This launch event we’re about to start for VoA is stretching across a month.

I really enjoy EQ and don’t think of quitting really but this last expansion in particular I had serious EQ fatigue. Speedrunning to what will soon be level 125, having to undergo several cycles of regearing as you go just to keep progressing, even with autogrant it’s just a lot.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Tai posted:

Mischief have mercs yet? Was thinking of a nostalgia visit or should I just roll head to FV.

Looks like they got mercs in mid september.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Baconroll posted:

The good old red wine quest has suddenly been nuked with official statements of 'exploiters'. Its been used extensively forever as a legit quest, so I wonder whats suddenly got them all excited.

It can't just been handing in redwine for exp - I'm guessing a 'real' exploit.

After level 30 its painfully slow, so maybe someone found a way to get good exp out of it 30+ ?

You can craft red wine, they probably tradeskill duped stacks upon stacks. TS depot dupe strikes again.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

My server is starting to feel increasingly shaky and I never know how long my current guild will last before attrition kicks in. There are still five or so guilds clearing end game content and we're in Rain of Fear but server is definitely slowing down and feeling its age. The fall off after each launch week is increasingly sharp. The graphics bugs from the directx11 patch drove a few folks off, just sort of being the straw on the camels back of dissatisfaction with the game in general. After another cycle of a tlp launch + summer Aradune probably gonna be really sparse come august, though I hope not.

The end stage of the tlp lifecycle naturally has me wondering about the next round the wheel. My krono stash will let my boxes ride out til aradune reaches live if its still active. But after the pace of play on tlps I dont know how much I'd enjoy live and a year per xpac. Or, for that matter, if I would honestly do another start and play back all the way through to the point where I'm at. I feel like I'm getting a fairly close idea of what it'd be like to play my current toon on live, I'm not sure how much changes between level 100 and 125.

Like everyone else I think a lot hinges on the ruleset. I dont want to hop on a server thats gonna be a ghost town, if it had something to maintain a healthy pop a few years out that'd be cool but anything sleepier than that and I might as well just hang on for live.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

25th servers are Tormax and Teek. Tormax a traditional true box server. Relaxed in oow, dropped in tbs. Teek is random loot free trade mischief clone. Same true box progression. Kunark starts for both. No box limits, just true box.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Arae posted:

New servers aren't always new players. The initial population surges because of RMT.

Server launches include a combination of RMT sellers, classic to PoP recyclers, ruleset surveyors trying new rules, name reservers preserving "their" name, and players actually planning to call a server home.

The initial expansions are also stupid easy for the time investment. It's relatively trivial to get 50/60 and start selling items for Kronos. A lot of recyclers won't admit this, but they only enjoy the game when it's easy.

People need to stop paying for RMT, but that will never happen. Adults with jobs see no issues paying Krono ($13?) for GEB/FBSS.

To add, also cross server players needing to raise krono. There is a lot of krono churn on the new servers but not everyone is looking to RMT it. I can't really buy krono on my home server unless I start automating which I don't want to do. So if I want to keep my boxes up without money I really need to participate on new servers while they're populated so I can go back to my hobbit hamlet of a server for the rest of the year. It adds a certain seasonality to EQ.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Baconroll posted:

I've heard but not confirmed that someone got a suspension for it.

This may all be bollocks of course - could just be sour grapes from people using MQ2. People do lie and lie and lie. The only person I know 100% isn't using MQ2 is me, so until I get suspended I wouldn't swear its real.

I heard this the other week and maybe it’s true. Maybe.

Last night before I went to bed though there were at least three of the regular mq2 group botters that were up and running just in my guild alone so, whatever it is the info is probably out in red guides and they’re working around it I’m sure. The botters took a break during a ban wave maybe a month or two back but they’re all back again in force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah the people that would get upset about their group members level of knowledge are going to have statics that have been set for the past month. I myself won’t be in any of those because I can’t commit to 8-12 hour days launch through to Sunday. There are going to be plenty, plenty of chill PUGs on Teek and because both the kunark and classic leveling paths will be open people can really spread out.