Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

sgtmattkind posted:

I remember PvP back in its hayday. Man this brings back memories...

High level rangers de-levled to 20, kicking your rear end with a tantors tusk and level 60 skill caps. Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

The worst part of EQ for me is getting relevant information. So much stuff I look up is circa 2004 and I have no idea whats changed. We seem to have some pretty pro monks here, so I had some monk questions. I'm level 70 with ~450aa.

1) Monk forums said to pretty much ignore enhanced aggression and planar power until you have thousands of aa. Why is that? Is it something that's obsolete until way later on, or what? I could see with gear way back when, having stuff at the attack cap was probably rare, but I think every piece of gear I have now has between 10-40attack on it, so that cap is definitely in play.

2) Kick mastery? The two posts I read on it said they only added 10 damage per rank to each base kick. that doesn't seem too hot right now. Am I wrong and is it something that should be prioritized?

3) Obsolete AA? I also read strikethrough can reach 100% really easily with only 6 ranks in it, VOA gear, and a few ranks of other aa. On that note, what about slippery attacks? It seems like if strikethrough is easily maxed, slippery attacks would also be pretty useless.

4) Whats a good level to leave crippling strike at? Damage doesnt seem like a big deal at all considering when you would want to use it, so does snare max out at a certain point? At rank one it seems pretty weak and they can still flee pretty quickly

5) Combat stability/agility? I was maxing it out as I leveled, but again, the monk forums made it sound like after rank 15 or so the returns arent worthwhile till way later.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 20, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Mewcenary posted:

Any further thoughts on where I should level with a 65 Wizard + Merc ? I tried the hotzone for this level and got stomped on very quickly. My warrior merc soon died. Perhaps I should be kiting ? That said, if the mobs summon I'm dead.

This was Sunderock Springs...

The things I remember kiting in that level range were: Plane of storms frogs and DoN 6.9. I don't know how well they've held up now, unfortunately. Stay the hell away from sunderrock though, awful hotzone.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

^ This happened to 2-3 people I got to start. They cruised to 65, then immediately went into :wtc: mode because of how solidly they get their asses kicked in SoF or wherever. I've taken to recommending people spend a solid chunk of time at 65/70 aaing, so they don't get powerleveled to 85 as a warrior with no CA/CS. I really emphasize over and over again that "Level determines the expansion you fight in, AA and gear determines how well you do it", but pretty much no one wants to listen to me and they rush to 80 for sweet gear

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

The problem as I see it is really that 1-75 are just so astoundingly quick that people don't learn their class, or game mechanics in any way. I've recently come across a plethora of SKs that simply do NOT know jack poo poo, including a 75 who didn't know what taunt was and was insistent that his spell aggro was all he needed (yet couldn't keep it to save his life). Another example was a 70 monk who didn't use any disciplines or tomes because it was "too much button pressing". this was BEFORE the game went F2P mind you. I can only imagine the floodgates about to open.

Another issue is that EQ's mechanics are loving cryptic and convoluted. Trying to figure out how poo poo like softcaps and other mechanics work relies on going to web pages that havent been updated in half a decade and are usually wrong due to some change that happened along the way.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 26, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Apparently I have like 67 booster packs for LoN. Any decks have worthwhile loot cards I should look into? (monk/wizard)

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I would address it early on because this is exactly what happened in other goon guilds. The high end elites decided to leave for raid guilds because they got frustrated with new players, the lowbies stopped playing, and most of the casuals stopped playing because the guild was dead at that point. It's like history repeating itself, drat. You guys have a good guild going, just lay down some ground rules so that people know whats expected, and try and reconcile. There are private channels that every clique can /join so this shouldn't be a big issue.

I do find it a bit ironic that with how much you guys enjoy trolling general chat this is such an issue. Maybe that's what encourages the annoying fyad memes? The general tone that you've set up in this thread with the trolling fests, etc? Either way, you should all lay down some guild ground rules and go back to being bros, it's probably just a misunderstanding of guild tone.

I also didn't mean to pick on anyone regarding the rush to 80 thing. poo poo, the examples I used were from FV so definitely wasn't singling goons out. I was just commenting about how I think people are going to hit a roadblock at 70ish because the game changes pretty rapidly, and how best to prepare people for that

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 28, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

The337th posted:

The TBS Pirate stuff was also a terrible case of marketing buzz hyping something that was absolutely not noteworthy. "Ship-to-Ship Combat!!!" was a big expansion feature noted at the time, people got excited, people then played some instances where they did nothing more innovative than going to Dulak's Harbor and killing stuff on the boats there.

haha, wasn't that the same time that two pirate MMOs were coming out (and both crashed and burned)? I remember loving the poo poo out of that expansion because I had fun with the skeletal hand quest, but man it was a cop-out.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

regarding gear, get gear for levels you plan to stop and AA. Don't spend a fortune, but make it as efficient as possible. I stopped at 65, 70 and 75 and spent enough time at those levels AAing that gear was worth the investment since AA comes so ridiculously fast in the hole/paw/PoF.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

This should be mandatory for every goon. To be used all the time and for no good reason. Especially in dungeons.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=93796

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Nurge posted:

I decided to try and get my monk off AB and welp actually AB or my character or something is broken and I need to navigate the horror that is SoE support site to get it fixed. On the bright side apparently the grapevine says that on test monk 1.0 epic is inventory clickable now so it might save me some plat on haste potions in the long run maybe. Honestly I'd just give up and remake on luclin now regardless but since I already paid for the token I can't let it go.

My friends been trying to get off AB for 3 weeks+ now and has petitioned over a dozen times. They just keep telling him It'll be fixed "soon".

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

Edit: Those of you who transfered off of Test, were the GMs as dumb as it seems they are? This guy keeps giving me the same stock response about Test transfers a year ago. I asked him to turn it over to a lead GM, we'll see what happens.

Yes. I made "Please escalate this petition to a lead GM" my mantra, and even the lead GM said it wasn't possible until I pulled the "I know of people who have left test as recently as two months ago" card. Then suddenly it became, "Oh guess I can do that after all."

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Feel free to add Bailang as well. I'm not a mage, but can teach you elvish.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

TSS introduced a new race so it was kind of an "all levels" expansion like kunark and luclin. It also seemed to realize people were tired of 1-60 so made it a fast-track to 70ish, and jacked up the plat/gear drops compared to older zones. The cap was raised to 75, so the 70s dungeons makes sense. It was one of the better expansions imo, since so much stuff later on ended up jacking up mob attack values to ridiculous levels or being high level exclusively. A lot of classes started being much more "modern" in how they played around TSS too.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 9, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Do the closest possible latin translation to ascending fearboners.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Peechka posted:

So I dont really understand why people still refuse to use mercs. I see this all the time in the open world zones and inside of dungeons. And Im not taking a full group, obviously in a full group you dont need them, but someone soloing or a duo, boxing? Why not use them?? We have been grinding AA in Vergalid for the past 2 weeks and we see this all the time. One person told us that mercs give an exp hit if you have them. But even so the efficiency skyrockets so much having them that even with the exp hit Im sure its twice as good as without. Especially for a duo or more so you can get the tank and healer merc. I saw one duo run past our group without mercs and the further we made it in we saw the same duo dead.

Stuff in vegalid can't even scratch my monk and I kill it so fast (faster than the stuff I want to kill respawns) that I don't think its worth the exp hit. I don't have an extra slot so I can't just bust out a wizard/rogue when I want. So if I dont need a healer/tank, I dont use a merc.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

"Firiona Vie is what feudal Europe was like before kings came along. Robber Barons locking down everything" -BeowulfGallant.

As resident Potion Baron of FV, I thought I would share a few tips now that it's down to the wire for turn-ins (And apparently people are still on FV, I thought I was the last one for awhile.)

This is a pretty fast and quick way to get your bankroll up at low levels since each potion sells for 28-35k depending on how far away from anniversary we are. How else are you going to afford the robber baron's 2 million PP raid gear?!

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3068

Random tips:

-Most of these are zero effort and take about 2-3 mins to gather. I bring 10 traders satchels and collect 10 components at a time.

-The only real roadblocks to progress are LOIO bloodgoblins and the goblin fort in warslicks. If they're camped, just go do something else and come back later. When you get LOIO bloodgills, farm as many as your heart desires.

-The turn in is a pain in the rear end because it's 1 per character. Get around this with a campfire fellowship to port in your level 1 alts, or have a mage COTH you. What I do is bind a wizard at crescent reach spawn zone, make 2-3 alts, then port them to my bind point at the quest NPC.

-bazaar components per potion go for around 10k it seems, so once you start selling potions if you're lazy you can just start buying potion components, doing the turnin, and then selling the product at double. It's a really easy quest aside from bloodgills though.

-The end result of doing this quest on and off for about 5 days is basically double exp bonus (FV has a 50% default bonus...so 300%?) for life, and hopefully enough to snag a few solid raid gear items I've had my eyes on.

Basically I'm everything that's wrong with the FV server.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Pon de Bundy posted:

Will you be my Firiona sugar daddy, with all your rich potion stuffs, I'm a girl on Firiona so buy me raid gear :wink:

I want a "make it rain" effect where I throw a thousand platinum into the air and all the fine elf chicks go wild and take off their robes and wizard hats

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Pilsner posted:

By the way, don't forget that the pre-13th anniversary quests will be going away around the 16th. I'm slogging through them bored to get the most gear, LAA and augs out of them; will be indirectly glad when they go away so I can go back to some HoT prog. :P

I did one of the 13th anniversary quests tonight, and for some reason I didn't get my "Prophet of the dune" title :saddowns:. I think it's because I died right as the mob did. Does anyone know if they're likely to grant me the title via a petition, or does being dead when the named mob goes down not normally grant the title?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 13, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

History of Beorce in Everquest:

Make some characters. Notice another class's grass appears greener. PL new class. Notice that class's grass isn't quite as green as some other class's grass anymore. PL new class. Decide all of his classes' grass is actually slightly brown and smells funny. PL new classes. New classes also now smell funny and seem to be infected with tiny creatures. Go back to the classes he started with. Decide some other class's grass may, in fact, be greener afterall.

yes he's been this way since Velious and it took him like 9 classes to get past level 40. The only difference is that now he 4-boxes. In time, beo will just box 1 of every single class (actually he'll just move to another MMO in 1.5 months since 3 is his max attention span :iceburn:)

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 13, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Node posted:

I've hit a wall for exp gain now that I've hit 95 as a paladin. I can swarm all the ghosts in Hills of Shade, but some of them are green and that really hurts the exp. Undead in Feerott have so much more hp that it's even slower.

I've stayed at 90 for awhile for just this reason as a monk. I can rip-disc down giant swarms for some pretty legit AA at 90, but I'm worried what 95 aaing will be like and I want to get all my important stuff out of the way first. How bad did it slow down at 95?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Wask posted:

If/when the servers come back up, any recommendations on where to plough from level 77 to 80 this week? I want access to the crazy gear I see everyone using.

My old spots are turning light blue and only good for AAs.

Vergalid is the best I've found, with direwind a pretty close second. Vergalid's entrance pretty much sucks solo, so invis and take the right path down to where the gators and such are. There is a tiny alcove to your right as you enter the cavern from the tunnel that is completely safe, but don't pull to it since a healer mob paths by occasionally. I just left the alcove and pulled singles until I needed to rest and then afk'd in the alcove

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

meat gnome posted:

It varies by class for sure but I've played 6 or 7 classes at max level and you're always doing something. You're pretty much constantly either casting, using combat abilities, or using cooldowns. Even with something relatively more hands-free like a mage, you're weaving 2 or 3 nukes, your gargoyle, your quick AA dd, 5-10 other cooldowns if you care about your dps, and of course more on burns.

Seriously, doesn't your monk alone have a ton to spam with stun kick on the quick second cooldown, flying kick, and all the other crap that only lasts like 30 seconds a fight? I'm lazy enough that I macro my g15 to do that for me half the time, playing 4 characters just sounds stressful (then again, my shaman is so low maintenance to box that I can do everything for him with about 4 G-keys)

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 25, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Ylide posted:

What? I subbed and don't see a bag to claim. What is the called in the claim window?

Also, spirit shrouds. Is there any good reason to use these other than novelty?

Getting quests out of your level range, exploiting anniversary quest to level

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I think 60-80ish are the shittiest levels, especially if undergeared or underAA'd. Its this weird combination of mob HP going through the roof, player damage output still being low for a lot of classes, and most of the good spots being constantly camped. It's kind of like, if the hole/PoF/DSH are camped, you have to spend forever running out to the boonies for subpar exp. Whereas at 90+ there feel like so many more options and private instances like guardian/gyrospire.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Hexel posted:

If you take the guild hall portal to Brells Rest there's a portal from brells, about 10 yeards away from where you appear that takes you right to the bottom of The Hole. Saves 2 hours of training/clearing or wondering if you're gonna survive a fall.

The jump into the hole from paineel book is risk-free now. Not sure when that changed, but you don't take damage from the jump at all.

In other news, I did the first 50-some points of alaran language quests and am pretty happy with the new expansion stuff I missed out on so far. I was getting kind of annoyed with the pre-90 stuff where a single SK or Ranger was killing an entire zone. Killing nameds and questing in the first few VoA zones has been pretty refreshing since it actually gets people grouping again. It's pretty humbling that my monk is sweating just to tank VoA trash after so much effortless earlier-expansion stuff, but then I'm not aa'd that well either and wasn't even expecting to be able to molo the trash at 92 from what people were telling me.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 30, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Hoohah posted:

DoDH and PoR were basically wastelands of content, compared to what came before or after.

Yeah, I skipped out on these while playing WoW or something. Is there anything worth checking out there? No one I know ever goes to those places but there must be some cool gear or leveling spots hidden away. (I think I ran 68.1 or something for kiting but even that was pre-TSS)

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Armor of Wisdom aa: Can anyone clarify exactly what this does? The berserker forum seems to insist that it adds to softcap AA, whereas SK forum thinks its just displayed AA thats normalized based on the softcap.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

jetz0r posted:

So it is AC normalized based on softcap ac gain ratios.

This post is a great collection of information: http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7760

Yeah, thats first one that I was running off of, but then I saw this (as well as 4-5 people on goberserker claiming its pre-softcap ac) and just kind of got confused since everyone seems to be saying something different. Most stuff i'm seeing on the SK forum seems to indicate its pre-softcap. I guess worst case it's not as terrible of a grind as CA/CS.

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showpost.php?p=100981&postcount=71

and

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4736

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 2, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Great info. Regarding basic stats though, I would say some of them aren't completely irrelevant. Dreamlike int was giving my wizard pretty great returns. (60-70ish mana a rank iirc) Stamina continues to give HP, STR continues to give attack. I read somewhere that agility hardcaps at like 325, so thats probably pretty useless (except maybe 5-6 displayed ac per rank, etc?). Dex past 300 seemed equally bad (someone said they parsed something abysmal like 0.0000023% to crit chance). Overall not huge, but still worth raising certain ones depending on class. int cap was pretty awesome as far as basic stats go, but it seems like melee ones are a lot less generous with returns

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 3, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

What sort of other cleave gear is there aside from those augs? Anything thats easily obtainable? I just kind of always went with whatever cleave was on my lucid arms or whatever the setpiece for the level was.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Peechka posted:

It seems like there is a hole in the 80-85 range as to where to go? We need to get to 85 so we can get our j5s. We tried field of scale and we killed about 50 mobs for about 2%. Why the hell do they have to nerf the exp so bad in these expansions? It literally makes them all useless.

Ashengate was decent, so was SoD stuff. It just slows down and it's an inevitability.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Another thing to consider is that though it won't affect fippy people for awhile, it sounds like Berserkers are getting pretty smacked down on test server right now from a combination of flurry in most forms getting toned down (Bard song nerf, BL buff nerf, Berserker flurry nerf). I haven't looked too closely but some guy reported adps going from a 40% increase to ~15%.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 8, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

LoN scenario wasn't too bad. Basically just do the first 2-3 parts of the tutorial to know what the gently caress is going on.

I used a default deck, the trick was just not engaging the spider or his minions at all and using all my units as throwaway meatshields while I beat him to all the quests.

His level 2 quest kills every enemy card on that side, so you can use that as kind of a reset halfway through when he gets too many cards. Also, he tends to stack almost all his units on one side. let him. I made the mistake of deploying units on the other side (due to a free deploy card reward from the quest) and that always caused him to split his forces and cause a loss.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Speaking of tradeskills, thats something I've never messed with but was looking into. To make the glorious cultural tradeskill stuff, it sounds like I would need tailing maxed (leather armor) and then smithing for the aug, then buy the cultural book from alara or something, and then I can make cultural armor for my race/class and a diety based aug?

Is that right? EQ traders seemed out of date when I checked, and I'm not quite sure how to interpret this.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Cultural_Armor#Symbol_Pattern

Anyone have a better cultural armor guide?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

My PC runs every modern game on high-ish settings but two instances of EQ (Even in EQw/eq play nice) pretty frequently will lockup and crash the system, or cause the textures to gently caress up.

I've considered ISboxer just because it advertises increased performance. Anyone have experience with ISboxer's performance compared to 2-3 instances of EQW? I don't know, EQ just manages to bog my system down like nothing else.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Node posted:

I can't access the everquest forums right now for some reason. What is the news about AA?

Bonus is changing from 500-0% 0aa-2500aa to 1000-0% 0aa-4000aa

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

xZAOx posted:

So I dunno. I need to go do some more exploration, I think that'd get me back in the swing. But now I got some friends trying to get me to play D3 with them.

Everyone I know who grinds lblues gets bored pretty fast in my experience. it holds them until they reach the point where AA returns are minimal, and then they just sort of lose interest. I created a list of stuff I want to do since I kept forgetting, but I think depending on level, the SoD achievements/progression they just added is a good, easy place to start. If thats too easy, move up to uf/hot/voa.

Other random stuff I did when grinding was boring:

VoA language fluent
epic quest
type 3 augs from progression
SoD augs/illusions
Random achievements as I am a huge achievement whore
RK II spells once I hit 86ish and started getting stuff I wouldnt replace
mpg trials
don AA
camping ac augs and playing other stuff while I waited for repops
tradeskills

basically type /ach and start going from there. This basically only works if you're an OCD completionist

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

At 71 I would do the hole over paw. 71-75 I was all about paw, but 71 is the cutoffpoint in the hole where the courtyard camp still owns. Last time we had the 30% exp bonus I was getting about 18-21aa a lesson there. With this 100% bonus I imagine it'll be hella crowded, but then so will paw. If you're a mage then the anti-elemental stuff will probably rock paw though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

71 is also pretty much the last level you'll get great exp in the hole