Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I am wondering if epics are even worth the effort anymore.

I am playing my beastlord. I've done the epic quest before many years ago and I am finding that the epic isn't worth the hassle. I can level up quickly in hotzones and the weapons I am using now from the guild bank smoke the epic in performance.

That and the drat traps in the Grey spawned "The Fabled Boulder" twice on me resulting in insta-death once and pure frustration the second time.

What do you guys think: Keep leveling and return to epic hunting later or just give the whole thing a pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Not Grover posted:

If you are on Luclin, ask literally any of the goons in the channel, and probably half of them can come out and solo any of your epic fights. If the 1.0 is lovely, definitely either try to muscle through it, or do the 1.5 prequest, and definitely get your 1.5/2.0 done, because the clicky is awesome and irreplaceable.

Yup, and that is what makes Luclin so much fun. My current frustration is the collection part of the quest.

I guess if worse comes to worse I can beg someone to empty a zone until the stuff drops that i need. If you're familiar with the beastlord epic, I'm talking about the drops from stonebeasts in the grey and the stuff from Xi Vius in Maiden's eye. Thanks to my merc, the fungal padding dropped after only a few camping trips.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Kortel posted:

How about those Ascending Angels? These guys are hilarious. Been more or less harassed since I "stole" a generic gnoll camp. Which was level 14. I've missed EQ.

As for equipment; i am playing magician. Should I worry about equipment or just use whatever I find? Only 24 at the moment.

They're probably pissed off about our guildname. Ascending Fearboners = Ascending Angels

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I rolled a new druid this morning...am i confused or did the tutorial zone get expanded?

More to do. More quests. More NPCs.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Look at the revamped tutorial. I got a clicky run buff item. Lasts 4 mins

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Maps of Myrist...I threw mine away 2 weeks prior to resubbing.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Any idea how end game Beastlords stack up? I'm in my 60s now and with a j1 tank i can do pretty much anything I put my mind to.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
It is Ominous Latin Words.

Minaces Latinis = Ominious Latin Words in Latin

Richard Cabeza fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 10, 2012

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I'm playing EQ for the nostalgia and I noticed one day that the loading text said "Relocating Burned Woods..."

I remember this from way back when Velious was released. It was shamelessly stolen from other sites. This didn't happen to me personally.

So there I was.....minding my own business in The Overthere, when all of a sudden I see the message: "d00d sow plz".

Of course, my natural instinct was not to answer, since I thought the clueless newb (hereafter referred to politely as "the petitioner") must have been poorly informed at best.

Boy was I ever wrong.

I switch out of 1st person into an external camera, and what did my wandering eyes behold? Only myself and the petitioner.

So I says to myself...."Self? You need to edumacate this fella!"

(Keep in mind what the overall setting looked like: There I was, in skeleton form, carrying a scythe, FLOATING IN MIDAIR IN A MEDITATING POSITION, with a LARGE dark-brown skeleton named "Gibober" standing behind me. Ummm....No, skippy, I'm not a druid or a shaman.)

I say "Wish I could, bro, but I don't have SoW. I'm a Necromancer."

The Petitioner says, "$#*&@#$ *ick, sow me already! it's for a cr"

Feeling as if my feathers had been ruffled a bit, I do a "/who all dumbass" (um..pardon..I meant "/who all petitioner")

This is where I discovered the "/who all" bug. Certainly it must have been a bug, right? There's NO WAY IN CREATION the dumbas...err...petitioner could have been a level 31 Dark Elf Wizard, right???? RIGHT????? /em begins to cry like a little girl.

Well, needless to say, I couldn't have been any more shocked than if my pet began dancing an Irish Jig. I quickly begin the arduous task of maintaining my composure, while deciding how best to deal with this tricky situation.

I say, "Necromancer's can't cast SoW".

Petitioner says, "Bull@#$%! you cast a spell while you were running and you sped up! i couldn't catch you until you sat down! if you're not going to sow me just say so you dont have to be a *ick about it a$$hole"

Yes I know....he didn't use any punctuation in that last sentence.

I say, "I have JBoots."

He says, "what are they"

Before I have a chance to pick my chin up off the floor....

Petitioner asks, "can you buff my hps my hp sux"

I say, "I can't buff you, dude. I'm a necromancer. I only have one buff that you would probably want."

He says, "yeah the one you won't give me *ick"

Ok. Time to have fun with the hopelessly clueless.

I say, "Why do you need a sow?"

He says, "i need to get to burned woods to hunt. sumbody said its perfect for my level"

Yep. That's what he said......"burned woods".

I say, "man are you ever in the wrong place."

He says, "?"

Apparently he found the "question mark" key conveniently located nearby other various and sundry communication facilitators.

I didn't answer him.

He repeats, "??"

Found it twice...good for him.

He repeats, "???"

Having an IQ greater than plantlife, I sensed a pattern forming.

I say, "You are NO WHERE near Burned Woods."

He says, "my friend told me it was in kunark"

I say, "Yeah, the operative word there is 'WAS'. There was a major patch a couple of months ago after a bunch of complaints were filed about 'static content'."

He says, "?"

I say, "!"

He says, "?"

I say, ","

He says, "wtf"

I say, "no, already have some."

He says, "????"

I don't respond.

He says, "so where the @#$% is burned woods"

He lost the question mark button again. Probably popped off when he was sniffing his feet.

I say, "Well, THIS week it's south of Freeport. It changes with every patch, since they began randomizing zone locations."

My guild is hysterical at this point. And I haven't even told them the ENTIRE story yet. Just snippets.

He says, "@#$% i just got off the boat"

I say, "You don't need the boat."

He says "why"

I say, "You're a wizard!"

He says, "how you know that"

I say, "I did a /wh...nevermind....the important thing is you have teleportation spells."

He says, "oh yeah the green ones"

I nod.

I say, "Yep. The 'green ones'. Pretty nice how you have them grouped by color."

He says, "thx"

I say, "How'd you think about doing it that way?"

He says, "they were all @#$%## up when i got this char"

I say, "Sit down and mem the spell 'Fay Gate'."

He says, "why"

Question mark key is on the ground in front of your chair, guy. Mixed in with your collection of boogers.

I say, "It's going to put you within spitting distance of Burned Woods."

He says, "how do you know"

I say, "All patch messages come with a zone connection map."

He says, "oh"

I say, "Ok. You have it memmed now?"

He had just stood up after what I assumed was meditating/looking at his spell book.

He says, "yeah"

I say, "Ok. Cast the spell and let me know when you get there."

Dumba...errr....Petitioner begins to cast a spell.

A LONG time goes by.....ok, maybe 5 minutes
I still haven't heard from him.

Getting curious:

I tell petitioner, "Are you there yet?"

No reply. No reply at all. [Yes, I'm a Genesis fan... ]

Obviously he's there, or my tell wouldn't have gone through.

I tell petitioner, "Hit the 'r' key to reply to me."

He replies, "i'm here now where do i go."

Right idea....wrong punctuation mark. Oh well. "C" for effort.

I tell petitioner, "Ok, do you see a hotkey on the screen that says 'Sense Heading'?"

He replies, "no"

I reply, "Hit the arrow buttons one by one until you see one."

It was a guess, but an educated one.

He replies, "found it"

I reply, "Click on it."

He replies, "north"

I reply, "Ok, you need to head east along the path. Keep going until the path turns north. When it forks to the right, take the right fork."

He replies, "ok"

Who knows, maybe the guy who sold his account on Ebay worked his Felwithe faction up.

He replies, "sumbody told me i shouldnt be here cause i'm a dark elf"

I reply, "They were roleplaying."

He replies, "oh hehe @#$%@#$ morons ;P"

Priceless. Utterly priceless, I tell you.

I reply, "Where are you?"

He replies, "i see something now. looks like a castle"

I reply, "Run into the castle as fast as you can. The guards might give you some trouble, just keep running."

Yeah...damned conscience started kicking in.

A fairly long period of time passes. Not sure how long, but longer than I was expecting.

I tell petitioner, "What happened?"

As if I didn't know....

He replies, "my spells are gone!"

I reply, "What happened?"

He replies, "i died why"

I reply, "Oh man! Did I tell you to run east or west?"

He replies, "east wtf???"

I reply, "Yikes. My bad. You should have run west."

He replies, "?"

I reply, "So where are you now?"

He replies, "how can i tell"

I reply, "Look right after you see 'Loading please wait'. It should tell you 'You have entered [zone]'."

He replies "it doesnt say [zone] there."

After smacking my head against my monitor....

I reply, "What does it say in place of [zone]?".

Get this....

He replies, "Burning Woods"

I nearly fell out of my chair! I couldn't have PLANNED it that way!

He replies, "is that the same as burned woods"

I reply, "No, but you're close. Start running south so you can get your corpse back."

He replies, "i have to get my corpse back?????"

/ignore petitioner

Moral of the story: EBay...Just Say No!

Out of sheer curiosity, I took him off ignore later to find out what happened.

I tell petitioner, "How's it going?"

He replies, "wtf? where you been"

I reply, "been afk, sorry."

He replies, "got my corpse back. some dude rezzed me."

My conscience somewhat eased...

I reply, "Really? Cool! Where are you now?"

He replies, "iceclad ocean"

I scratch my head a few times.

I reply, "Why Velious?"

He replies, "the guy that rezzed me told me burned woods was in western wastes this week"

I don't recall exactly how long it took me to stop laughing. I stopped breathing shortly before my dog dialed 911.

He replied, "@#$%&* wouldnt sow me either. what is that sh#$ gold?"

That's what finally killed me. I'm writing this from the afterlife.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Anyone got an update on the status of Fabled mobs? The question keeps popping up in chat and I don't think i've heard anything definite.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Hoohah posted:

Its...somewhat disturbing that I can remember all of this stuff about EQ off the top of my head.

I know what you mean. I specifically remember a time a year or two ago where I could quote damage/delay ratios on some of my old bard equipment. This was me being out of the game for 5-6 years.

I drat near choked up when I saw someone had put a Symphonic Saber in the guildbank.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Can you set pets to assist a tank? I am considering firing up another account so I can AFK some AA's for Balee. I was thinking a mage with a cleric merc and Balee with a tank merc would be murderous with two pets for DPS.

With all the bonus station cash, I could transfer Bronar the mage rather easily.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I make a point to not train Laids...although I will go in an loot the gems on his mobs!

What is weird is the no corpse part of his tale. There should be a corpse where he died.

Pets will attack if the pet owner is attacked. Maybe the Beastlord/Mage might work after all.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

The337th posted:

Beastlords are just one of the classes that aren't sexy or anything right now (See: Shadowknight, Ranger). Of course if you know what you're doing on one, they're still pretty drat strong overall. More importantly if the class is fun to you, what others think is moot, playing a class you don't enjoy isn't worth it.

Edit: the only reason I would see to pick something else, would be that another caster would allow you to do all dps at range and let the mage pet have more of a tanking role. Tank mercs are the easy work around for this though.

I've enjoyed playing a beastlord. I do get envious of those folks with their talk of swarming entire zones or headshotting mobs, but I can hold my own. I have a mage bot, but to be honest that's a class which is kind of boring to play.

There are certainly faster ways to play everquest. Everything a beastlord can do can be done better by a single class or through the use of mercs. What a beastlord brings to the table is a complete package. Mana regen, slows, haste, HP and ATK buffs, DoTs, DD, melee and caster DPS, SoW. Shaman, Mages, Monks... all can do some of this better than a beastlord.

The closest you will get to all of this in a SINGLE class is a bard and I have no idea of relative melee/tanking/casting ability between beastlords and bards.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I have a boxing question...

This morning Rank and Brogyun(My SK/Mage pair) were slaughtering sporelings and my SK took some agro from the tank. The cleric merc completely ignored my SK and let him die. The cleric was healing the merc tank, but was racist towards my guktan sk.

Any reason why a cleric merc would ignore a group member in distress if there was plenty of mana available?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Hexel posted:

What rank of merc? They're stupid to begin with but the younger ones are next to useless.

Journeyman 1(lol female)

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
What helped me make some cash was hanging out where other players were PLing their toons. If you ask politely, they will let you hoover up drops from their kills.

I made about 10K looting PLers in Crypt of Decay. Diamonds are a poor man's best friend.

Also, working sebilis is always a money maker if you have a snarer.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I run two instances of EQ on a dual monitor set up. I have the same response as ISboxer. Active character runs full speed and inactive character has a lower FPS.

This is a Core i5 2500K unit with 8GB of RAM on a single Nvidia 240 GTS.

In JustJeff88's case, I would guess it is a driver issue. If it was performance your card would be overheating and the system would just slow to a crawl then crash.

In the past, I ran EQ on an average system with all video options on and all EQ did was turn the game into a slideshow.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
My first newbie moment was being in a panic because I was out of drink and could not figure out how to drink.

Many years before I quit I was a L65 bard and handing out goodies and mentoring new bards throughout the innoruuk server.

Now, I'm a frustrated L72 beastlord who hit the wall on exp. Going from half a level per session to half a yellow per session is quite humbling. I actually leveled a mage to duo with the beastlord so I could use a cleric merc along with the mage's pet and damage shield.

I guess it's time to spend time in the Hole.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Sgt Froggy posted:

I remember failing horribly several times on grumis for the key when the druids didnt dispell enough and the disease dot ate a cleric or five.

I recently moloed that sucker with my Beastlord and cleric merc around 70.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
My wife gave me a great idea for a alt.

In game currently as Kahlowie. Soon to be Kahlowie Kardashian, the female ogre shaman. Anyone got a pair of size 22 heels?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Jastiger posted:

I just joined up on Luclin. I have the distinct honor of playing Everquest since the day it was released way back when. It's so different now, jeez. I had stopped playing like 6 years ago. As far as it goes now, I have a rogue named Jastiger. Who should I talk to for goon guild?

Look for anyone in the guild "Ominous Latin Words". I think everyone can guildinvite.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I burned out at Paw so I headed over to Dragonscale Hills. The farm camp is rather nice and the three quests related to cleaning the farm (kill x mobs) net an AA per quest. Since you can run all three concurrently, you just farm the farm and then go update the quest for an AA on top of the mob exp.

Last night was an awesome night for me. I have been trying to get to 75 so I could equip my pet weapon from PoF and was not looking forward to 73 to 75. Last night an invite to a group ended up with 5 PCs and a cleric merc. This is the Blue Frost guild. Their 95 guildmaster came in and I was assuming my exp was over. I was wrong.

The guildmaster told me "back up kitty!". So I just used my warder. She proceeded to pull crazy 30 mob trains and in the course of 2 hours I made a level and a half.

I now have my PoF weapon, a nice stat 24/21 parrying dagger for my offhand, my new pet is a L75 warrior, I have a 3K DD poison nuke plus several new dots, an upgraded heal, an additional swarm pet plus my PoF swarm pet, a new mana regen group spell, and a ton of OMG.

Ever had that moment when your character turns a corner and turns into a bad rear end? That was me after I turned 75. My DPS has gone way up.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
What a great weekend for my internet to go down. The cablemodem died on Sunday so I missed half of the double EXP weekend.

grrrr

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
When the changes to AA experience hits, Paw is going to be stuffed full. Poor elementals might let the Gnolls back in.

The farm is also going to be hotly contested. There is a spot just south of the farm in DSH that has about 7-8 doombug spawns. I plan on parking there for AAs once the exp update goes in.

I might head over to katta for a change of pace once I finish up Beastlord Epic 1.5. I got lucky yesterday and found the Ailing Walrus just sitting in SG then this morning the Maiden's Eye wolf mob I needed was up. I'm going to do some tailoring then start the battles for 1.5 soon afterwards.

Got a question: I can get the gingerbread mercs with loyalty points. Is it worth doing or is it just cosmetic?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

No More Heroes posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, what AA patch? I been out of the loop for a couple months and let my accounts lapse. What are they doing to AA?

SOE is about to double the exp gained when working alternate advancement. There was tons of complains about the 45 ranks of CA and CS to make players viable when taking hits in higher level contents.

The bonus tapers off if what I read is true.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
In some ways, waiting for the AA patch has been a relief. Balee is 75 with only 100 AAs so I am pretty gimped and was not looking forward to working through AAs.

While waiting I did half of epic 1.5, worked tailoring, brewing, and smithing up to 100, and generally digging not being on the treadmill.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I just had an epic battle this morning.

It was me (75 beastlord), my warder, my tank merc and my 61 mage bot, his pet, and a 61 bloodbone healer merc.

We spawned Girplan Spiritleech in Dranik's Scar which popped him (dark blue to Balee) and ELEVEN FRIKKIN ADDS! The adds didn't agro immediately but Girplan couldn't be taken below 99% health until all eleven adds were killed. The adds were light blue to Balee.

I started working the adds one or two at a time while Girplan wailed on the tank with the bloodbone healing. Slows were slightly successful.

About a third of the way through the fight the mage took agro and went down fast so I was down one mage and a pet. Once we finished the adds the bloodbone was low on mana and went dry at about 60% of Girplan's health. The tank died shortly afterwards leaving me and my warder. I played pet cleric until I went OOM and then my warder died. I popped my defensive discipline and once that ran out I went head to head with Girplan until he died. I was at 27% health.

That is what EQ is about.

Richard Cabeza fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 7, 2012

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Pretty sure he means that having three characters active at once gives him three mercs to use, one merc per player.

He's triple boxing.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
how about paw at those levels? It might be hard to get in deep managing 3 boxes, but there are lots of spawns at the front you could do.

I did the same thing with a mage bot. I got him to a level where he could duo with Balee and then just used his pet as extra damage and his cleric merc to do some healing. It worked out rather well and the mage has leveled quickly. I think he's gained from 54 to 62 while Balee was still around 75.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
The hills might be a bit much at 68. I remember having some problems at 72.

The problem is that the doombugs rarely come solo and you'll think you're a L1 at launch with cloth armor whacking on firebeetles when you fight your first doombug.

The reason why the farm is such a lucrative camp is the three "clearing the farm" quests you do while camping the farm. Each is a kill X mob question and every completion is worth an entire AA. You do all three concurrently and you do them over and over until you get sick of bugs, birds, and scarecrows.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I've seen folks AFK molo there for days.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Do you get permabanned for stuff like that or just probation?

I've wanted to play with ShowEQ but didn't like the idea of losing my junk.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Wait...no effect on AAs from 0 to 2500? No auto AAs like combat stability or combat agility?

I was under the impression that it was 500% for 0-2500. So does it go to 1000% from 0-4000AA?

Richard Cabeza fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 21, 2012

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Ok, so to explain this to a hard headed beastlord with 125 AAs... My AA exp rate should double next week.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I need a question answered from someone with far more AA than I have.

As a beastlord, I'm a DPS class with some utility. Should I be concerned about maxing damage reducing AAs or should I be working on utility as well? I know that I need some CA/CS, but do I need to max that sucker out since I won't be tanking?

What should I be shooting for?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Looks like the AA patch is going in tomorrow.

quote:

All EverQuest Live Servers will be down on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 3:00 am US Pacific* for a Game Update. The servers are estimated to be unavailable for approximately 5 hours. Keep an eye on the EverQuest website and the forums for status updates and for news if additional downtime is needed.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I'm getting really discouraged working for the last few levels before 80. I'm half way through 77 and really hating life.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

meat gnome posted:

Double xp this weekend :v:

Awww hell yes! Balee is like 15% from 78 and the gnome just dinged 70!

Exp pots stack, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
And AA grinding is a lot more tolerable now, imo.