Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is the EQ billing site hosed for anyone? Keep getting purchase preview error :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

(I am still bitter about how awful druids were in early EQ)

Druids (good ones) were gods earlier EQ.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I wasn't actually trolling honestly. Druids were so versatile back in the day it was so much fun to play.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'll chime in as I play a monk.

Unless you enjoy being Bruce Lee, don't play a monk. Their damage is pretty average compared to others.

Being an awesome puller as a monk doesn't mean a lot since it seems like everyone can pull/mes/mem blur these which is a shame. SK's also get a better FD i've heard though I haven't looked into it to confirm it.

Soloing, you don't have any fancy tools to gain AA fast except a riposte burn. No swarm kiting, quadding, HSing, Assassinate etc. Also monk raid weapons are getting nerfed for some odd reason. Anything with a delay 18 is getting changed. Not overly sure why since we are on the lower scale of DPS from all accounts. It possibly could be due to the monk buff that is in the works (supposedly).

Onto the good stuff...

I enjoy my monk.

Maxed FD is great and Imitate Death is sexy as gently caress once you dump AA into it to make it a 2 minute cool down. It also hides you so hit and run free through the zone (not undead, carry pots). It also mem wipes on cast if you have aggro..

You have some fun tools, disc's and poo poo to play around with and you rarely die. We are talking about heavy red con mobs who one round you to die.

Only cookie cutter groups and guilds aren't likely to want you but gently caress those pubbies anyway. Monks are fun aslong as you don't mind being low among the DPS classes. Also monkly business (the main class site) is poo poo and they rarely help out new people asking questions.

Level to 60 and get a few AA's in the essential ones like run speed, rapid FD, ambidex etc. Like 100 maybe tops.
Level to 70/71 (upgrade gear to next defiant level) and rape and pillage the Hole for insane. Riposte disc on the hour.
Get power leveled to 80 because holy gently caress 70-80 is painful to grind regular levels in.
Upgrade gear to T1 HoT gear sold on the Bazaar. The damage and HP/AC increase is a gently caress load.
Go to Splitpaw/Infected paw (still at level 80) and rape and pillage. You'll be doing 40 AA an hour before lessons. Get everything you can buy except poo poo like pack rat, innate strength etc etc. Riposte disc on the hour.
Now group with anyone and rape exp in HoT, UQ etc etc.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'll expand a bit on the leveling as its not overly clear.

1-60 tank merc on red cons.
60-70 I think I tank merced it in the Hole (temple). Cant remember honestly.
70 with new gear, solo in the hole(temple) but pop a healer merc now and then to top you up HP wise. AA's like critical mend give you less down time.
70-80 get PLed in Mech or somewhere that someone can swarm kite etc.
80 Splitpaw solo. Pop merc for buffs/heal now and then.

Buy haste pots always.
AA's vital to riposte burning:
Double riposte
3/3 Destructive Force
Delay Death
Zan Fi's whistle
Return Kick
Big Defensive AA's such as combat agility/stability etc.

Start small and work up while you learn pathing and your limitations.

Pull (lesson if its up before pull as it has a long cast time)> Pop Zan Fi > Pop Whirl Wind > Delay Death before WW fades > Destructive Force just before WW fades > Speed Disc once WW fades > Finish off anything left (which shouldn't be much if you did it right) > profit. A pull in paw with lesson has given me 30 AA before. Later levels you can lower the reuse time of DF so you riposte burn every 30mins I think.

Use hand to hand. Your offhand may have a 1HB from time to time. Only use 2HB for riposte burning and always buy the stick with the biggest base damage. Delay means nothing. Buy weapon Augs from a vendor in Erudin. They aren't anything special but its better having something then nothing till you can get Augs with +base damage.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I always end up in a guild with at least one sex mad female in it. Why..and why do always end up getting tells off them.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No its not. Its awesome and this is why the internet is such a fantastic thing. Nothing comes close to EQ love drama

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress I was on the wrong server back in the day

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is this all for Epic 1.0? If you are doing this to get epic 2.0, you don't need to (well you don't with monk 2.0). Monk one is just hail a dude and go kill two NPC's

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Since we have a few high level monks, tell me about swarming without using whirlwind that some monks seem to do.

Mend is at 2 mins (cant level it more yet)
Leveling staffblock atm
Got all the riposte AA's etc.

I heard you just pop immpenetrable and some DPS abilities like Zan Fi and staffblock blocks a lot of damage while mobs die on ripostes. I know you cant do huge packs but good for 10 mobs at a time once stone stance is up.

Also im level 85 so whats a good level for this? CA/CS is maxed for my level at rank 33.

Also what disc's dont stack and whats a good combo of discs to use? Heard IF/speed is a good one.

Is calanins supposed to put phantom app line on cool down? Seems werid that

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What is a good zone(s) for this at 85-90 anyway

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Baconroll posted:

Currently I'm solo/moloing a 71 Beastlord with around 800AAs - gears is appropriate defiant and epic 1.5.

I think I'm good on AAs for now, so will look at getting upto say level 75 and then reassess.

Level to 80. Get HoT gear and rape paw for mad AA exp.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone in the know regarding monk weapon dmg/delay help me out choosing a weapon as i've forgotten whats what with all the changes over the years.

95/19 or 82/18 for main hand? Always thought 18 delay was the sweet spot but heard something about its been changed or removed or something. Monkly business isn't overly helpful.

Is main hand dmg divided by delay and then pick the best ratio still?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Double exp weekend if you didnt already know

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Where are people getting RoF maps from these days? Mapfiend seems dead past VoA

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
If I patch to go on test server, do I have to re patch every time I want to go back onto live?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Am I reading that right in that you are saying you made 6.5K AA during the double exp weekend?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Are monks still meh in DPS and other classes have similar tools for pulling? Re subbed the other day for shits and giggles. Wondering whether my 94 monk is still a bit ''grey and dull'' in terms of what it can offer a group.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You guys are talking like this AA stuff has come into play. Is it live or just on test?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Beza isn't bad post ashen/valde.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Pilsner posted:

I've been active on AB for the past month or so. I'm going to soon transfer over my original Zliz Monk plus my Shaman from Luclin to AB and continue playing him there. Got enough free SC to do the transfers.

Sup AB buddy. Thought I was the only goon left on the server.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone recommend a good place to molo with a 95 monk? Pretty decent gear (non raid) but places like valley are pretty slow still.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Screw monks, stick to a caster or SK. I would probably give up by now on my 95 monk if it wasn't for his 6k AA and the dream at 100 he might actually be even close to other DPS classes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Do tell

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Midnight City posted:

If it's just going to be a cleric box then no, there are far better things to use as a box (shaman/bard). Cleric mercs aren't bad if you block off the Promise line and elixir lines.

Say what? You block DoT heals and it forces the merc to just use direct heals? Is it actually better healing to do that?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What is the current state of monks? I think I'm level 94 or so and have a t5 healer merc and 5 or 6k AA. Moloed a lot in the valley till I stopped about 9 months ago.

Any new poo poo I need to get ASAP or fancy quests etc?

I'm guessing there's little point to buying the current expansion from all the comments saying that it blows.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is there any prolonged double experience with the 16th birthday stuff? I'm guessing there is so might sub for it if it's a decent length of time i.e. a week.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Rapacity posted:

Does anyone play on AB these days? No one in my old guild has logged on for at least a year and it's boring being level 78 on your own all the time.

I'm on AB but currently not playing. I'll probably pop back for a bit if the EQ birthday stuff has a big whack of double experience.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Wooo 160% experience started the other day and no one posted it! Think I may pop back for that to carry on AA farming.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So where are goons typically playing? RF or LJ? Thinking of returning for a gently caress around but 700 posts to catch up on so was hoping for a tl;dr pros/cons of the two servers and where goons are hanging out.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Meowbot posted:

I'm trying to spend daybreak cash and it just won't work when I try to add more funds.

I get a payment error through firefox, IE, chrome and same issue with paypal. I've tried multiple computers for 3 days now. When I try it through game it says "Failed to finalize final cost. Try again later." and I've tried for 3 days. I opened a ticket with daybreak 3 days ago and have had no response. I tried calling them but can't authenticate the account since I can't remember my security question ... this sucks since there is no way to buy marketplace items and I just want to give them money. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

I remember something about 2 or 3 failed payments locks your account for 24 hours for any RL transactions. If you tried again during the lock out period, it reset the lock out.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Honestly, Paypal is the less complicated of any of the payments. Plus, if you decide to go abroad for business w/e, it will still work without having to gently caress around with a VPN to set up a sub or one off payment(s).

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What's the chances of this being a 2 week wonder in terms of goon population and 4-6 weeks for pubbies? Might give it a whirl if there's potential for it being 4-6 months.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Think I might give this a whirl this evening.

Any class that's poo poo in the classic/kunark era? Been so long that I can't remember. Also, is there any class that's over populated to gently caress?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Are Mage pets still OP or are they no longer able to solo yellows etc.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Republicans posted:

Nah, they're way squishier now but they still hit really hard and thus are the best group dps.

Can they still solo decently though? Not fussed about not being able to kill nameds/reds but whites/yellow would be nice if I fancy popping on for 30mins for a mess.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Any work around for subbing from a different country? Card is registered in another country I'm living in and daybreak doesn't allow subbing via paypal. Time cards seem to be dead too.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

RCarr posted:

Someone posted earlier about buying Krono's from players. How would that work? Paypal? How would you ensure you're not getting ripped off?

Paypal and buy from goons

Anyone in a guild that isn't spurgy and has lots of people online grouping I could potentially join?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Double exp weekend including progression servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sorry to the guys I went LD on in OOT. Net went out and 20 mins later, it still wasn't up so went out to an xmas party that I was planning on not going to.