Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I started and stopped playing EQ about 2 years ago when my Magician hit the early 70's, and I couldn't get a single updated spell to actually kill anything anymore. The reason was the only spells they had on the market were about 300x the amount of plat I had, and when I tried to grind up the crafting to make the spells I realized it was a horrible system.

They also did not have dps mercs at the time. My only choices were tank and cleric mercs. So, with the new dps mercs, and it being semi free, I'll probably be getting back into this sometime this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Ckwiesr posted:

They also just put every spell up to level 85 (rank 1 for the ranked ones) on the vendors in PoK. They can get slightly expensive, but it's ten times cheaper than what they used to be on the bazaar.

I logged in to check this out, and holy crap it's amazing. Spells that used to be going for 100k+ plat, if there was even one on the bazaar, are now being sold for 450 plat at a vendor in pok.

So, I got my three accounts going, and leveled up a brand new ranger from 1 - 40 just doing the Tutorial, Crescent Reach, and Blightfire Moors zones. This took me one evening to do. The best part is I did all that in the gear I got from the Tutorial, because the tank merc is amazing.

The other thing no one really has talked alot about is the Extended Target. This makes such a huge difference for this game, and I wish they had this back when I raided with an enchanter so I didn't have to keep track of the 6+ mobs I had mezzed in my head.

I'm leveling a Ranger named Bahanahab, but I honestly don't know if it will end up my main or not. Anyways, I'm on the Luclin server, and have Henessy a mage and Odrin a shaman too.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I seem to remember a one loot macro button you could make, but all the websites I'm looking at don't have jack for targeting corpses. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about, because it has been so long I might be thinking of a different mmo.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Anyone know how high of a level a ranger or monk could serve as a tank for a group? The entire group would be starting at level 1, and there would be a full group so no room for mercs.

I remember the ranger having decent agro management, but not sure about the monk.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
What's the deal with enchanters now? From what people are saying in general chat, they're pretty much a useless spot. When I asked why they said "DPS is king now, and since single pulling is so easy CC isn't really needed anymore."

Overall, do enchanters really have a spot at the higher end, or have they fallen way down on the needed scale? Last time I played if you didn't have an enchanter you were in the process of looking for one due to how much they made a difference.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Not Grover posted:

4) SOE putting all the spells in PoK is a good move, and I feel that will help people have a better handle on what their class capabilities are. Everyone should pick up all their spells every level, and hopefully have some time to use them/become familiar.

This is honestly the one thing they did that got me to come back. The last time I played I got up to level 71 on my mage, and then found people selling the level 70+ spells for 100k+ plat in the bazaar. Tried farming the mats to get someone to make it, but they tried to charge me 50k plat just to make it with my mats so I said gently caress that and uninstalled the game.

Now that I'm back I actually have all my spells on my different characters, and the difference between having all the spells and not is huge. Previously I was lucky if I could get one of the snares for my sk, but now I have everything on all my characters.

Multi-boxing in this game is very easy, and if you get isboxer like the op suggests you can easily box an entire group. The hardest part about isboxer is you have to make all the keybinds unlike you do for wow. In wow the quickwizard setup has everything done for you, but for EQ you have to manually do the keybinds. It took me a couple of hours wondering why none of the other chars were doing anything when I press a button to figure out it didn't set it up automatically. Also, with mercs you could easily 3 box and have a full, and very balanced, group.

Right now my group is level 60, and I'm farming AA's for my tank. The problem is my tank is complete crap compared to a merc at this level, and it's a pain in the rear end to farm anything when I can barely handle one mob in BoT tank wise. My biggest issue with this game is actual tanks are so bad for so long, but tank mercs are so amazing for so long that many would be tanks are put off of the idea and go to a different class.

Also, did they change the agro mechanic of the SK fear spells? I remember one of the best ways to generate agro on a SK was using the fear spell that maxed out on mobs level 52, because it wouldn't land but would still generate the agro. When I tried doing that the mob just went to my cleric the moment it casted 1 heal spell. I'm now using the level 11 clinging darkness and the level 33 terror line for agro generation, but still having to taunt mobs off my casters every now and then. I just remember sk's having much better agro generation last time I played.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

While I don't know anything about SKs (other than in vanilla, as you said, they used to dot to keep aggro), someone just a few posts ago was bitching about how a SK wasn't using taunt, then saying his spells kept aggro fine, then kept losing aggro. So my guess is look at some taunt skills / AAs / discs / spells / something.

It's not that, I know how to use taunt, but the last time I played the game my same SK never lost agro by using that one fear spell. My mage could chain nuke and never pull it off, but now it doesn't work at all.

Dizz posted:

Am I able to train spells like heals and buffs if i just constantly cast them on myself? Since I levelled up so fast I neglected skill training and it usually takes me a whole mana bar of fizzles just to heal once or put a buff on me.

Best way that I've found to level up your healing/buff skills is to get the lowest level version and chain cast that non-stop. At level 60 I'm still getting skillups by using a level 11 spell.

Bahanahab fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 26, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

jetz0r posted:

Here, read this:

Amazing info! Thanks for the help. Apparently the sony forums link doesn't work for me, and neither do any of my old sony forums links.

Bahanahab fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 26, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Anyone know if you can target a specific extended target number with a macro? I know I can set a button for it in the options, but I want to do it in the in game macro commands.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
This is the one part of EQ2 I wish they'd do with EQ. When you get your epic you also get an appearance only version of it so you can make all your weapons look like it from then on. Having to do a whole new questline just to make my weapons look like the epic, after getting the epic, doesn't sound fun to me at all.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
How are SKs vs Warriors in a pure tanking, and keeping agro, terms for a group at the higher end? Lets say if both had all the AAs they need, and all the gear, which one could handle multiple mobs easier from a damage mitigation perspective and a keeping the mobs off the rest of the group perspective?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Peechka posted:

Second question is how many would you guys stop to get at 75?

If you want that paladin to be tanking, then you're going to need alot more AA's. But, if you're fine with using a merc to tank then you get get by with whatever. Everything I've heard/read points to 80 being the level to grind AA at due to the HoT(specific expansion) gear opening up, and once you get a full set of that gear you'll be able to grind AA's better than pretty much any other level. I've not hit that level to find out the exact specifics of everything, but that's what people have been saying in general chat and in here.

Also, refer to this post if you want to find out about when your paladin will be able to start tanking better than a merc:

MrTheDevious posted:

You can absolutely survive with a tank merc nearly everywhere, so I'd play a DPS unless you want to put lots of time into an SK.

At 80 when the mob difficulty starts to seriously ramp up, the crossover point was around 1k AA, HoT T1 (900hp) gear in every slot, and at least 25 ac aug in every slot. That was to equal a J5 tank merc. At 85, full VoA visible, 1400+ hp anniversary non-vis, 30AC aug in every slot, and max defensives/offensives/lifetap AA, I was extremely better than a tank merc finally, but the tank merc could handle just about anything my SK could. Since a cleric merc handles all my healing now (so lazy, shaman's perfectly capable but cleric merc is just so easy) the tank merc is really just fine. I love my SK and would never drop him, but if I were picking to start from scratch, I'd probably go with a DPS class and let the mercs do the healing and tanking.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Peechka posted:

Ive had the forage button mapped to my movement key and I think its maxed, if not close to it. Its a pain in the rear end though while moving and getting lovely flasks of water or roots or some poo poo on your cursor. But what I do to troll my buddies is trade with them all the time to piss them off.

Autoforage macro: (Assumes Forage is #4 on ability page of Actions window, and assumes you have double forage AAs, if not you can remove the 2nd line):
/pause 6,/doability 4
/pause 6,/autoinventory
/autoinventory

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Overall, how do all the dps classes stack up against each other? I've heard Necro's are really good on raids these days, but what about the other dps classes? Could someone do a quick over on where each one stands at the higher end of the game?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Why is everything loving prestige, with no way to buy prestige unlocks :(

Because Sony has no idea how to properly execute a FTP system. The EQ ftp system is so much better than the EQ2 ftp system, but still has some major issues that mmo's like DDO and LOTRO don't have in their ftp systems.

At least they didn't do a 50/50 slider lock on the AA's like they did in EQ2 for their ftp accounts.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

jetz0r posted:

remote manaflux

I was looking up this spell on ZAM, and their wording of what it does is confusing. It says it decreases hitpoints by 3840, but adds the manaflux enervation effect that heals for 3840. So, what the hell does it actually do?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

jetz0r posted:

Nukes your target for X, then heals your target's target (the tank in most cases) for X. Each side crits independently, a twincast on manaflux means two enervations are also fired off. And once you get twinheal AA, you can twincast just the enervation.

It combines the basic druid heal and nuke into one spell at a mana reduction and a very nice 1s cast time.

The Remote line is one of the spells that never leaves your spell bar, ever. Along with Survival, Rejuvilation, and Twincast.

I want to call it the Manaflux line because that sounds better, but the next two are Remote Sunflare and Remote Sunburst.

Edit for more druid spell info:

Survival of the Fittest/Felicitous/Propitious/Prosperous is a group heal that heals each player based on how low their hps are. Here's the raidloot.com spell parse of it:

Casting: 1s, Recast: 3m, Timer: 13
1: Increase Current HP by 3145 (If HP Between 55 and 65 Percent)
2: Increase Current HP by 6300 (If HP Between 45 and 55 Percent)
3: Increase Current HP by 9444 (If HP Between 35 and 45 Percent)
4: Increase Current HP by 12588 (If HP Between 25 and 35 Percent)
5: Increase Current HP by 15744 (If HP Between 1 and 25 Percent)

The cast time and recast time are both halved once you max out the fortified survival AA, which you NEED to do. Once you add in Healing Adept and heal focus, it's functionally a 0.5s CHeal for people below 35%.

And Rejuvilation/Invigoration are slightly larger heals than the standard Vida line, but 0.5s cast time with 12s recast.

Yup, just found the class I'm going to end up as my main. Unfortunately everything I remember about druids was being the red headed step child, and only being used as a taxi service or when the preferred classes weren't around.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Goldmund posted:

Can you buy expansions with station cash? I can't check any game related sites at work, but if so I might have to go stock up on cards.

Yes, you can. You can even buy the collectors edition of VoA if you want. The basic expansion costs 3999 SC. So, if you do what the person above said and buy the 15.00 2000 sc from Wal-mart you will end up with 4000, and that will allow you to buy the current expansion that's normally 40.00 for only 15.00.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Carl Seitan posted:

Fairly sure all of the servers are down at the moment. Launchpad is hanging for me as well.

The login servers were messed up, but if you were already in game you were fine. Everything is pretty good for me now, and I'm able to log in an out with no problems.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I tried to complete the shadowmane invasion monster mission today, because that gives an amazing 1h sword for paladins and shadowknights. The mission was very simple, but I could never finish it due to not being able to blow up the drat door. I killed the first three bosses, looted the explosives, and when I clicked on the door nothing happened. I cannot find anything on line other than click on the door and a message opens up to say yes or no to blowing it up.

Anyone know what's going on with this mission, and what I'm doing wrong to not get it to work?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

jetz0r posted:

I have no idea about this quest. But try right clicking the item in your inventory while in the right area or with the npc/thing targeted. Even if the item doesn't have an ability or charges.

Nothing is working at all, and every person in my group that tried to do the in game petition ended up crashing to desktop. We just said gently caress it and will make do with whatever we get till 80.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Finally starting to get some AA on my sk, and I can already tell a huge difference.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Dizz posted:

Does archery level up in the higher levels? it seems really expensive to make arrows at a low level to where I can spam them a lot to train it.

My best suggestion is to find a mage, and have them summon you a full quiver full of arrows. They're lovely, but perfect for leveling up the skill. A mage can summon roughly 600 arrows with one cast of a spell.

Alternatively, if you're a ranger, get the endless quiver AA, and never have to worry about arrows ever again.

So I just realized that rogues get poisons. My rogue is level 63, and I have yet to even use one. Looks like I have alot of catching up to do with the make poison skill.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I've been wasting so much time by not using poisons on my rogue. I just went to the poison vendor, purchsed the vendor poison for my level, and joined my friend up for some leveling. I was level 63, and thought the poison might proc for 100 - 200 points of damage. Nope, first three hits of using the poison procced 3 times and each proc was for 2715 points of damage. Our SK could not pull agro, but that didn't matter due to the mob being dead after my next couple of procs. Those same mobs used to take forever to kill, but now they died so fast we were pulling further into the dungeon than we ever had.

To put it in perspective our level 60 wizard does 2100 damage with her best spell, that has about an 6 - 8 second cast time, and the level 60 rogue vendor poison procs for about 2700 damage.

Overall, I feel retarded for not getting my poisons going faster, but now that I know what a vendor poison is capable of I'm definitely going to get the craft up to par so I can make the good ones. Also, when does evade actually get good enough to be reliable? Right now I keep failing, but my hide skill is almost maxed out for my level.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

RCarr posted:

Does anyone know of a necro AA guide? I'm level 58 now, so I'll need to get started on them soon.

Here's an excellent Necro guide to start with:

http://www.necrotalk.com/showthread.php?t=10182

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I can find good info on all the classes I've tried, with the exception being the druid. Every aa guide I find for the druid I have to use google archives to read them, and most of them are very outdated.

Outside of the typical AA's that go for any healer in the game, is there anything specifically for the druid that people recommend getting as fast as possible?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Peechka posted:

My thought is when we get to 80, there is such a huge power spike that we will be able to go back to the mid 70's zones and rape for AA more efficiently.

Personally, I would go ahead and level to 80. 500+ AA's is more than enough for the basic of everything, including tanks, to at least survive. The paladin will always need more AA's to tank more efficiently, but at least 80 gives you some amazing gear to make up for anything he's lacking.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I just found out that rogues can craft poisons that other classes can use. If you're a tank get Scorpion's Agony. It's a proc that has a direct damage component and a hate component that will give you extra agro. It's very nice, and it has turned my warrior into an agro machine. It's now something I'll always carry around in my potion belt as a tank.

Also, every melee class should be using spider's bite poison's. Just get the version that is for your level range, and you'll be set. The level 65 version procs for 1500 poitns of damage.

Bahanahab fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 11, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Hoohah posted:

I'm thinking of adding another class to my little bot group, and would like opinions.

I currently have:
Warrior
Cleric
Enchanter
Ranger

I'd really, really like to add a bard, but 3x plate makes me wary, unless gear at 80+ isn't quite so bad as the current hoping for lots of plate (and getting leather) is.

First thing I would suggest is for you to take another look at your cleric. They're amazing healers, yes, but their utility is 0. Both the shaman and the druid become amazing healers in their 80's, and they both get heals that proc from something else they do. Shaman's get a slow that procs a hot, and druids get a direct damage spell that procs a heal on whoever the mob is targeting. Both of these will help you out while boxing, because it increase the actions you can do per keystroke. The only downside is until the 80's you're going to have a harder time healing your group than a cleric will, but once you hit the 80's things change drastically.

The other benefit of changing your cleric to a shaman or druid is you get rid of the 3x plate problem, and can easily fit in a bard. So, you could then put whatever you want in that last spot, and not be confined to leather only. Wizards are very good dps for very easy boxing. In game just make a macro that assists and casts their biggest damage spell 3 - 4 times. What you pick for that last spot would really determine what healer you go with, because a shaman is better for melee and a druid is better for spell casters. So, if you go melee, pick a monk and go with a shaman. If you go druid then pick a wizard or mage.

I have not hit max level, but these tips are based on what others have been telling me since I got back into EQ. Druid is now my main based solely on the amazing healing potential they get in the 80's, and here's a post from someone about how amazing shaman's are in their 80's:

MrTheDevious posted:

Just you wait. I loved my shaman before, but since 86+ I am head over heels. My direct heal hits for 35k, got a fast cast group heal that hits for 25ish plus leaves a HoT on everyone, and another direct group heal based on current hp that sends my 55k tank from 10% to 90% in half a second. A slow that causes the mob to proc another HoT on the tank, and a tank buff that procs a slow and causes yet ANOTHER HoT on the tank. A direct HoT that crit ticks for 5 or 6k/tick. Multiple AA group HoTs that land for insane heals. Unlimited mana. Group proc that hits for 1100 now. Epic turns melee into blenders every 3 minutes plus, yep, another HoT. Battle Rez. Group Radiant Cure that removes drat near every negative effect from everyone in the group with one cast.

I spammed Kodaji and the group with heals for 45 minutes straight while Agnarr whopped me for 6k hits and never dropped below 50m until we were almost done and I said gently caress it and got lazy. I don't even bother with cleric mercs anymore in T3 zones. I liked the shaman clear through 85, but at 89 I am a healing monster of epic proportions. Shaman are unreal post 85 and anyone who is feeling remotely lackluster currently, stick with it until then. My cleric merc hangs her head in shame while I poo poo out tens of thousands in heals and watch my mana climb back up constantly

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
For anyone wanting to know what mats you need for poisons:

http://www.terror-australis.com/upload/Jonkiley/Poison%20Table.html

If you're a non-rogue scroll down to the DPS - ALL section and it will tell you everything you need. Just grab a ton of those, find a rogue with the skill to make your level of it, and beg them to make it.

Unfortunately, my rogue is stuck on the level 45 version of those, because the next items to make require baking and brewing in the mid 100's for the subcombines. Once I get this skill maxed out, I'll be able to make these for anyone on Luclin.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
All servers going down in about 20 minutes for an emergency patch to fix the Focus Effects. Servers will be down at 6:30pm pst for about 1 hour.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Yup, it has been over 2 hours since the servers were supposed to be back up, and they're still locked for me.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

jetz0r posted:

There is a very small number of devs, each sort of has an area with a lot of overlap in the content/raid design area and not much else. 1 dev on AAs, 1 dev on spells, 1 dev on items, the dev who's working on epic ornaments gets put on all the special content, plus 2-3 dev who only seem to do expansion content. The QA and response from some of them is loving terrible and only one actively gets feedback from players. Only AAs have a chance of being tuned from feedback, items may get bugs fixed, spells may get some bugs fixed in early beta but are never touched again.

Honestly, it's amazing they've done what they have with a dev team like this, and at the same time explains why the quality of life improvements that would make this game so much better just don't happen.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
None of the zone's I'm going to at 65 are that great. Unfortunately, many of the zones recommended in the op and earlier in the thread, such as Hole and PoF, are being camped pretty hard everytime I go there. The zones that aren't camped, sundering frontier and the steppes, are pretty crappy, because all the mobs damage have been ramped up so high that my cleric(non-merc) is almost out of mana after 2 or 3 mobs pulled.

Anyone have any spots to get from 65 - 70 for a full group?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Tinzen posted:

Full groups are somewhat rare in that level range in my experience so far. You can probably find someone to duo with by asking in guild chat pretty easy though.

I'm boxing my own full group is what I meant.

Beo posted:

BoT, Halls of Honor, Codecay, Vergalid Mines, Wall of Slaughter, Muramite Proving Grounds are all zones I would look at for 65-70

Thanks, I'll check into these.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Anyone know why the servers are down? Forums are just saying emergency maintenance, but before I logged off people were saying some zones were going down again.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Good points.

Sounds like what we need then, is for you to set up a macro on IsBoxer that scans the log for a secret keyword that only I know, and performs "/target Brumans" then "/invite". ;-)

Wait, you can automate with commands like that in ISboxer? I thought it was only for sending a keypress to another screen.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Definitely check into that, because I have 2 accounts that were supposed to have about 3 years of time on them. One account ended up with around 7 years and the other ended up with only 80 days. Their system is completely screwed up.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Bumble Bee posted:

Awesome, downloading it now. How much is it to unlock a class or a race?

It's $3.00 per race and $3.00 per class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Optimum Gulps posted:

No, it's $3 per race and $7.50 per class

Holy crap, it is $7.50 per class.