Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Holy loving epic OP dude. REALLY well done. I forgive you for goons2:1 now

Oh also, might want to note that for the next 2 weeks, the character transfer tokens are on HUGE SALE to encourage people to come back and join their friends. Seriously they're like 2 dollars

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pon de Bundy posted:

No my goon friend, those are not on sale for 130 SC(1.30), only 3 items are. Those are normally 25$, while they are on sale, the discount is not quite that big.

Also holy loving OP.

Oh, bust :( Good thing I don't need any characters transferred then.

This may be the single best OP I have ever seen on SA.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Can we start a list of SA names and their characters? I know who some of you are, but not all, and I like knowing who I'm talking to. I'll keep editing this list as more people post

Pilsner - Zliz
GodIsInTheTrees - Kodaji
Not Grover - Landric
Beo - Beorce
Ckwiesr - Sekhal
Shrapnac - Mahssive/Solotiv
Tolain - Tolain
Dubious - Zapzan
Urban Sorcerer - Sendrick
Mayor McCheese - Mayor
Pon de Bundy - Gnocolm
Jotto - Darallan
Dear Sergio - Facic
Matt Of Montana - Gruffor
torp0r - Torp

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 16, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

You get to keep your gear when transferring from Live > Live server, it's just Test and FV that strip you. Though apparently FV is Somalia and inescapable.

Kiwi I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ench is probably the most useless class these days. When he said "for advanced players" he basically meant raiders. Monk AE Mez is a pulling tool because it also memblurs when it wears off, so you can mez a pack, break mez on one, then forget the rest of them. All other mezzes are extremely rarely needed at best. Rangers, monks, bards, and SKs can all instantly single pull everything and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw something get mezzed. The one enchanter I've seen on Luclin begs for groups by attempting to bribe the group to let her join by offering to buy massive stacks of reagents and do nothing but chain rune the tank. She's LFG a whole lot :( Enchs are good to park in the guild lobby and MGB Clarity and Haste

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Dear Sergio posted:

I'm your BFF (bard friend forever) Facic and frankly I'm a bit offended that you didn't know/add me to the list.

PS sweet loving OP man.

I only went like 4 pages back in the old thread :( Added now!

App mercs you can get Tier 5 right off, but they're worse than the Journeyman 1 tier, so not really worth it unless you just want a rezbot once you hit level 60. Use the T5 tank then you're pretty much going to be best off going with a cleric for buffs and rezzes. The A5s are fairly crummy once you hit 75 or so

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

There is disgustingly not. When I came back all 3 of my accounts at 100+ packs. It was terrible :emo:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Oh god if they're seriously $1.50 I am unlocking so many slots. As soon as you hit 71 on that mage, your world flips upside down and you can farm Paw for ridiculous AA with literally no effort. Zapzan's cranking it out. Do your 1.5 if you haven't, I think we got Zap at least a level and maybe 2 just via that quest, plus it'll make you extra stout in Paw :v:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

SKs also get an amazing AA at 85 called Hate's Attraction that works like a harpoon and yanks a mob directly to you. Hit FD after and it wipes all the rest of the group's aggro, stand up, yay single pull!

They are even more AA dependent now than previously though. At 600 you're about 2/3 of the way through the "wet noodle" portion of being an SK. At 1500ish you'll be competent up to 85, then it'll be 2k-2500 before you're ready to move on. Kodaji's 85 with almost 2500AA and solid gear, HoT still trashes me unless I use 2x cleric mercs and VoA is entirely out of the question regardless. I can slowly handle SoD zones but they're not really worth it. Tanking in this game gets loving nasty really fast once you start hitting any of the more recent expansions.

I love my SK and wouldn't trade him for anything, but you could pretty much start a non-tank class at level 1 and be 90 grouping in HoT/VoA faster than you can get that SK to tank worthy status to do the same. The ranger/monk/bard are all going to be far less dependent on grinding AA until your eyes bleed. Swarming is fun as gently caress though so if you don't mind cranking another 1k or 1500 AA doing it before doing anything else, play the SK like a baller :frogc00l:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Is that Willsapper better than the regular one? I actually picked one up that was rotting the other night, though I have a bard and shaman and don't really have a use for it

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It does look really fancy sitting in a bag! I think I'm going to use it to see if I can solo Innoruuk with it so I can gimp 2x kills per lockout until my loving Songblade drops. I can't believe we rotted one a week before my bard was high enough to loot it.

Anybody know if that works? Basically clearing P1-3 with all my characters, then dropping the SK out and soloing Saryrn with just him, then using monk/sham in their own dz to kill Saryrn again? Then clearing the rest of P4 and doing the same thing a second time with Innoruuk? Double kills would be bitchin

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 16, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Yeah they're activating it all. I am spending the next 6 hours while we bitch about servers not being up yet to make a big list of poo poo worth hitting. Just found a mission with guaranteed Anger 5 clicky that I'm doing for sure, anybody with an 80+ tank needs to get in on it. Free 10% aggro buff is the tits.

I'll post my list in a bit once I get done scouring all 50 billion fabled items and quests

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Holy gently caress no way. Hats off to Sony for once!

Now taking bets on how long they're up before emergency patch

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fair warning, do not upgrade from basic F2P to silver until you stash all your inventory in bank slots. I did on my bard and all the slots that previously had bags full of poo poo in them were eaten

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ascending Fearboners is complete, only people left in the old guild now are ones that were AFK and Facic even though he came up with the name. GH is up, guild bank is full as poo poo, please take stuff.

May our Fearboners Ascend at Godspeed, goons

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

We've pretty much determined anything below Gold is pure poo poo and not even worth trying. The restrictions are so severe you're basically useless

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

You're also stuck with only 4 inventory slots, restricted to the ultra lovely mercenaries, can't use augs or most higher level gear. The plat limit means you're lucky to find stuff to buy even at 30. It's really terrible

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Also voting Ominous Latin Word. It's not quite Ascending Fearboners, but it's close

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Holy poo poo if that mission had taken me 5 more minutes I'd have lost the aug to crash and be really loving pissed right now. They better have my aug saved on my character :mad:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Necro is still a fantastic soloer and they are top tier incredible DPS later. You won't regret making one at all, promise. They can even group heal pretty well these days.

Guild so full of goons it's hard to keep up with the various conversations going. Most fun EQ has been in years, get in now while it's really fun :v:

We also have our first batch of characters hitting 70s and are planning some oldschool events soon. I'll post em in the thread as we nail stuff down

Edit - some are boxes, but 76 goons in guild online right now. We'd have to sit people for a raid :v:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 19, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pon de Bundy posted:

Butt doctor forever in our hearts. Semper fudge :(

On the plus side, either that gets our guild name slapped down or we're going to be fine forever. And if the guild name has to go, it seems like butt doctor ban is by far the most epic way to lose it :v:

Dragonscale is super full of people right now because there's a huuuuuge raid that requires that many people DPSing the robot to finish. It's still the most popular zone for those levels, but not usually nearly that full

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Epicness. He was trolling general as usual with pro-Kony trolls, GM jumped on him in like 10 mins and asked why he was inciting hatred or something. Butt Dr told the GM he was just pointing out children make the best soldiers because they're cheaper to feed and direct, GM asked him why he shouldn't just be banned since he was only level 4 and clearly not playing.

Butt Dr told him "I'll start playing when you make the game enjoyable rather than a virtual slavery simulator" and GM told him if he ever gets reported again, he's permabanned, so butt dr decided he had no reason to log in if he couldn't troll and rode off into the sunset :(

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Just to add, DoN progression AAs are nice but require faction for the raids, which means grinding tasks OVER AND loving OVER. I will puke if I ever step foot in Creator again, therefore my SK is dealing without them cause gently caress DoN. The MPG OoW Trials are dirt easy now except for the chest one, but have 2hour lockouts, so it takes a day to get them all done, which means gently caress those too. I did them for SK but ugh never again.

You also don't need shrink to glitch through doors, any mount or illusion will work. Just run directly into the door and click off illusion/mount = profit.

You can also glitch the CPU fight. Tank merc + cleric merc, have tank hit CPU, neither of you PCs do anything. Seriously, sit there and watch the mercs solo it. The adds don't aggro mercs, so they can kill CPU alone. It's hilariously broken

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Oh poo poo Flarestar, Vanguard's going F2P in a couple months. You know what we must do.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Christ that is horrifying. Why would you not just knock them out with a hammer. At least she wouldn't mangle dicks without those chainsaws.

Also I've talked a few times with people about replacing pieces of UIs, particularly the lovely WoW icons that come with Vert, but never posted how to do it, so here's the link for people who care! http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20284

I used that to swap my spell icons and buffs to Sparxx found here: http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=4620

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 22, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Here's my fully customized Vert UI for the people in-game who wanted it and anyone else. It's mostly stock Vert at 1680x1050, replaced spells and buffs with SparxxUI's and icons are default across the board
http://www.mediafire.com/?zpuxcg393dnkhnn

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 22, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Retrievil posted:

I think the best icons are the original eq ones. If you just delete the icon files from the vert ui directory, it will use the original. I highly reccomend vert. Savok has kept it updated one the day of every patch for almost 10 yesrs now.

I can't ever see myself using anything else now. Once I replaced the pieces I had issues with, I've never been happier with a UI

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

Thanks, that trivialized that event. Now to farm me some more augs.

No prob, Usli and I wiped a few times too before he figured that out. Augs and rewards own so it's worth doing. 95% of the zone also doesn't SI so you can finish in like 30 mins

Edit - slight changes to UI based on Zliz recommendations - now features way smaller merc window and more compact buff window. Screenshot and DL link below

http://i.imgur.com/g8Z52.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?j8kf8l0o5eavj08

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 22, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

As long as you're not a tank you're fine with that level. I still don't get the Hole love, I never got great xp there compared to going to Fire later and plowing

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

To monks riposte grinding with Whirlwind + Destructive Force, use Speed Focus with DF rather than Innerflame. It's far, far more damage :)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Both rangers and monks can tank current content with current gear, but they're both huge sponges compared to a real tank. My monk and SK are both exactly the same gear and both max defensive AA and the difference is sick, though the monk makes a fantastic tank in a pinch. Mend and Impen mean you can tank a mob until you burn it down no issue. For regular grinding though, you'll want a real tank class or a tank merc

^^^ Sounds like your zone file is corrupt, not character stuck. Delete it in the EQ folder and repatch and try that

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 25, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fabled until April 16, all fabled are in including jboots though fabled Jboots are pretty useless these days.

Leveling guide is accurate only use Griegs End instead of PoDisease (worst zone in the game)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

xZAOx posted:

I think a lot of us are still in what I call the "honeymoon" phase. Early part of EQ has been made super easy, lots of gear for these levels looks insane compared to what we were used to back-in-the-day, and is easy to get, seeing lots of new content, etc.

Granted, that's not how we remember EQ at all. We remember gear being hard to come by (well, good gear), "big upgrades" would consist of going from a +3str piece of gear to +5str piece of gear, and it taking an hour to get even a blue bubble of exp after 51.

From what I understand, while gear upgrades aren't as tough as they used to be, the content does get tough again, and exp starts coming back in a lot, lot slower. I hope everyone sticks around, because that's the EQ I remember, and well....ya need a group for it!

This is basically true, and I'm starting to decide us recommending tank mercs to PL new players to 60 was a mistake. We're starting to have goons hit 65 or so with absolutely no idea what they're doing and they're getting demolished in extremely easy zones. If they keep brute forcing it, once they hit 70 when the game actually starts to get hard, there's going to be a lot of frustration and nerdrage quitting.

Also soloing post 70 even with mercs for a lot of classes is extremely slow, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Even when you know what you're doing, xp slows WAY WAY the hell down at 70 and just gets slower and slower from there on. 1-60 is a completely different game xp-wise than 70+, and it's shocking the first time you kill multiple mobs without a single % xp increase when those mobs are suddenly pounding your group to pieces and swarming you in piles of 3-5 because nobody's learned to pull. Not trying to dissuade people to play or keep playing, but it's really, really essential to use your 50s and 60s learning how the game works if you want to survive and progress post 70. We also have plenty of goons in their 70s who are still progressing wonderfully and really kicking rear end, so it's entirely possible, you just have to learn the game :)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

They do not, in fact, listen at all. It's kinda funny in a way though, watching a rogue pulling in a group with both a bard AND a monk then bitching because fableds aggro and he trains the group with them, or swaps a tank merc for cleric merc while soloing "My backstabs are still regular attacks from the front", or a bard dying repeatedly while being HS PLd in C2 due to attempting to slowly melee the pack of rooted mobs (sorry to single you guys out, plenty of other stupid stuff, those are just the funniest recent things I can think of this early and I'm not naming names :v: ). "Don't even bother camping augs, I have none and I still do fine" was another awesome gem.

The :wtc: mode is already starting and I'm pretty sure it's about to get a lot worse, sadly. I dunno what to do though because they won't listen :(

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Peechka posted:

Even then its still not rocket science. Some of you guys are making this out to be some difficult game which takes years to figure out.

That's not what I'm saying at all, and I don't think anyone else is either. The issue is that sitting naked for 65 levels while a tank merc does all the work for you is not teaching you how to play, most importantly the differences between WoW (zergrush poo poo) and EQ (fuckin chill and go slow). At 65 and 70, some new goons are running into a brick wall of :wtf: because of it, which is what we're talking about. The game's not rocket science, but it does have a lot of weird mechanics that don't show up in other MMOs

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Bahanahab posted:

Also, did they change the agro mechanic of the SK fear spells? I remember one of the best ways to generate agro on a SK was using the fear spell that maxed out on mobs level 52, because it wouldn't land but would still generate the agro. When I tried doing that the mob just went to my cleric the moment it casted 1 heal spell. I'm now using the level 11 clinging darkness and the level 33 terror line for agro generation, but still having to taunt mobs off my casters every now and then. I just remember sk's having much better agro generation last time I played.

Yeah don't use fear spells anymore for aggro. That's what terrors are for. SK is still the top aggro king of the game for sure. I generally keep my newest terror and the previous both up. Their cooldowns are so fast you can alternate back and forth if you REALLY need to.

Sadly tanks are harder to make competent than ever. Mob damage SKYROCKETS past 80 and tank mercs keep up fine with no time investment. If it weren't for the sheer fun I get out of playing my SK, I'd have joined the crowd and gone full DPS with mercs.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Miley Cyrus is the best monk name.

For anyone not online's info - bottom guild rank is now muted. High ranks feel free to stick idiots there, I'm tired of seeing guild chat trolled and spammed with retarded poo poo from the same couple people, then having to answer 15 other people's /tells asking me why the gently caress they're so obnoxious. Pants Shitter is now time out for being terrible at life

Edit - Issue solved, grow up or go back to dota or whatever. Guild harmony restored

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 27, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

No, ask me in serverwide chat, I'll help solve all your problems.

He will. It starts with hand and ends with jobs. You get showered with money! If you close your eyes, it's just like trying over and over to eat a hotdot superglued to a wall

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

^^^ Shoot someone a tell for invite sir

<Stop Shawn Kodaji Wooley> is the best guild name.

Edit - hahah make more nerdrage guilds for us to laugh at

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

HAHAHAHAHAH there is now officially a F2P scrub guild and a non-scrub guild. Goon Guild splits own. Also whichever one of you raided our guild bank, enjoy that suspension, because a bunch of us just petitioned it. You guys keep rockin on with your low post counts, FYAD spam, spam begging for help, and entire lack of understanding of the game.

Whichever one of you still had alts I missed in the guild last night knows who the "silent" complainers are, since guild chat turned into a wave of THANK YOU FOR BOOTING THOSE IDIOTS soon after you left :bigtran:

@Pon - no idea who you are in game, but it was due to overwhelming popular opinion due to most of the guild being sick of seeing the same few people dumping stupid poo poo into guild chat and failing at basic poo poo then begging for help every 2 minutes. Nothing special, just culling of the herd. Ascending Fearboners lost 3 people who ever said a word, their alts, and some random join4guilds. We're still the same, just less FYAD (as you can see above)

Edit - Caig and Zancii are still in Fearboners, not sure why you're listing their names but keep going :v:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 27, 2012