Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

screaden posted:

Thrift Shop will be number 1 I reckon, or at least in the top 3

I think Little Talks will take out the number 1 spot, it has a much wider appeal and seems more timeless than Thrift Shop which, while being incredibly popular, is reliant on the "hipster" sort of ideal, possibly even permanently dating itself to this era in the same way that Bee Gees immediately conjure up images of the 70's etcetera.
There is a site called the warmest 100 which has scoured social media for posted predictions and Thrift Shop took number 1 on that but I think the main audience for the song are the exact type of people to actually use social media in that manner anyway and won't account for the aging JJJ audience (like myself) that don't engage in facebook shenanigans but still vote in the countdown. TS will get into the top 5, below Of Monsters and Men, Tame Impala, the Rubens and possibly Two Door Cinema Club.*

There have been rumours that when Spiderbait got voted into #1 way back in the mid 90s it was only because their managers or whatever had a massive email campaign to inflate the chart position. It would probably still be possible to help out a certain track in the charts by voting tons of times with unique email addresses but it would be a lot of work and they would probably clue in pretty quickly if a song with little airplay and minimal requests started rapidly climbing the tallied votes. JJJ would have a massive database of requested songs and even text messages sent in mid track (the announcers read them out all the time) that they could scan through to get a fair idea of what will get the higher positions and if Safety Dance isn't one of them then they could quietly quash the song back into obscurity. The probably don't want another repeat of 1998 where Pretty Fly for a White Guy got voted to number one and was then practically never played or mentioned again, not even making it onto the yearly compilation cd.

Edit: *These turned out be hilariously inaccurate predictions.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't want Lorde to take it out just because she's already doing really well for herself, give someone else some attention!
I also hope it's not Get Lucky but that's just me being disappointed in Daft Punk doing something new instead of releasing another album of bangers ala Alive 2007.

As for number one this year I really have no idea, Little Talks stood out to me last year as just a universally loved song and it got number two but I don't have any similar feelings about this years tracks despite listening to a lot more JJJ. I'd like to see Pizza Guy make it to the top 10 though. If Vance Joy got it for Riptide that would be fine by me but is instagram popular enough to extrapolate votes from that alone for the Warmest 100 guys? I have no idea about popular social media scenes.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As a dude in his early thirties I'm never really upset with the songs that make it into the countdown, each year the hottest hundred forms a great snapshot of music from the previous 12 months and the CDs they put out are great little time capsules capable of bringing up all sorts of memories from that specific year. Even if I'm not particularly into certain tracks the fact that I listen to JJJ daily and have done for half my life means that I have heard the songs a lot and can associate them with certain times and events, the discs have a real atmosphere about them. I'm glad they are doing the 101-200 countdown as a seemingly regular thing though, there is so much music released every year now that 100 songs just isn't enough, especially with the severely lowered barriers for entry into the world of music production. I'd still be stoked if any of my songs make it anywhere into the top 200 in coming years.

• Locked thread