Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I like all the new stuff - so nice to see this game finished.

What are the L-Thyroxine synthetic thyroid hormones used for?

They're basically a "junk" pill - without medic skill both them and sleeping pills just identify as "blue pill", so you won't know which is which (although this is somewhat undermined by the fact that I've never seen pills spawn without being inside a matching bottle, which you can still just read even without medic). If you take them you'll get some minor health issues after a little while like insomnia and such, but nothing permanent or particularly dangerous.

There's a couple other pills like that as well - I think white pills can be either antibiotics or antacids (which I believe do literally nothing when you take them).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They're basically a "junk" pill - without medic skill both them and sleeping pills just identify as "blue pill", so you won't know which is which (although this is somewhat undermined by the fact that I've never seen pills spawn without being inside a matching bottle, which you can still just read even without medic). If you take them you'll get some minor health issues after a little while like insomnia and such, but nothing permanent or particularly dangerous.

There's a couple other pills like that as well - I think white pills can be either antibiotics or antacids (which I believe do literally nothing when you take them).

As someone with acid reflux, antacids are essential to every day life.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Antacids are useful when you're puking your brains out from what I remember (defoliant exposure) or are sick to your stomach.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

As someone with acid reflux, antacids are essential to every day life.

I hope the first patch will let us choose an "acid reflux" disadvantage. Then I could finally fit in Electrician.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

After switching Medic out of my builds I've died a couple of times to septicema after getting cut and not having any clean rags or cans/saucepans to boil them clean. Is there a reliable way to beat infections - does pounding tannin tea and/or lucky antobiotics really do much?

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Made it to the ATN enclave - I love all the new dialogue options.

What, if anything, does the smudge stick do? Last I heard it was still unimplemented, but with it being properly released now, I thought maybe it does something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know either - folklore-wise it's supposed to protect against evil spirits, but I can tell you for sure it doesn't keep the wraith away if you take off your medallion.

Maybe it does something in the Hidden Lake encounter? I haven't thought to try it until now but that's the only other ghost related thing in the game that I can think of.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So are there more than one Legendary trait or just the one?

Edit: Oh, found another one. So at least 2.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 4, 2015

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

evilmiera posted:

So are there more than one Legendary trait or just the one?

Edit: Oh, found another one. So at least 2.

Legendary traits?

I survived a long time - was nearly ready to tackle the military base - when I randomly got ambushed in my sleep by a dog man, despite having traps up.
This loving game. So brilliant, but it makes me want to tear my hair out.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Legendary traits?

I survived a long time - was nearly ready to tackle the military base - when I randomly got ambushed in my sleep by a dog man, despite having traps up.
This loving game. So brilliant, but it makes me want to tear my hair out.

Somewhat of a recent addition. By gaining a "legendary" reputation, via doing various things stuff like being undetectable in various encounters, or killing a number of enemies without taking a scratch, lets you gain a new trait related to that which mostly lets you do crazy stuff in combat. Only way so far I've found that you can kill the toughest enemy of the game is via abusing those traits (that or being very lucky or very rich)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

evilmiera posted:

Somewhat of a recent addition. By gaining a "legendary" reputation, via doing various things stuff like being undetectable in various encounters, or killing a number of enemies without taking a scratch, lets you gain a new trait related to that which mostly lets you do crazy stuff in combat. Only way so far I've found that you can kill the toughest enemy of the game is via abusing those traits (that or being very lucky or very rich)

Do these get unlocked for future playthroughs or you just pick them up on a playthrough?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do these get unlocked for future playthroughs or you just pick them up on a playthrough?

You get them in a playthrough, like getting the eye augmentation but from encounters rather than something you can pay for.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's the last skill slot for? I've got both black special skills and both cyber-eye upgrades (night vision takes 4 slots, :wtc:).

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

What, if anything, does the smudge stick do?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know either - folklore-wise it's supposed to protect against evil spirits, but I can tell you for sure it doesn't keep the wraith away if you take off your medallion.

Maybe it does something in the Hidden Lake encounter? I haven't thought to try it until now but that's the only other ghost related thing in the game that I can think of.

It's not for the wraith, but for the gaunt woman upstairs in Saginaw, you gotta carry it lit like a torch. Also, it's got "fun" side-effects if you catch some bad spirit-related stuff.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 13, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

What's the last skill slot for? I've got both black special skills and both cyber-eye upgrades (night vision takes 4 slots, :wtc:).

I don't think they're actually meant to be "slots", it just displays like that. One of the recent patch notes was a fix to Night Vision's skill display on particular UI settings so I think the abnormal size of it is a bug.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Okay... how do I put a laptop battery back in a laptop, or a cell phone battery back in a cell phone? I took them out and can't get them back in there...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Move one into the other?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Move one into the other?
Figured it out - you have to "Use" the battery.

edit: in the further annals of "me being awful at this game" I guess unlike most games, where you can "buy/sell" stuff indefinitely in a shop without losing money, in NEO Scavenger if you drop something on the ground to sell it, then change your mind and pick it up, you lose money, because you sell it for the sell price then buy it for the buy price. And if you aren't paying attention and you do this like five times with your nano medicine kit, you're going to be poor...

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 17, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Figured it out - you have to "Use" the battery.

edit: in the further annals of "me being awful at this game" I guess unlike most games, where you can "buy/sell" stuff indefinitely in a shop without losing money, in NEO Scavenger if you drop something on the ground to sell it, then change your mind and pick it up, you lose money, because you sell it for the sell price then buy it for the buy price. And if you aren't paying attention and you do this like five times with your nano medicine kit, you're going to be poor...

Sell and buy price are usually the same. Sometimes containers are bugged though, where they don't count their contents as part of their value, but you can empty them out and fill them back up to fix it. It's also recalculated when you drop it in a store so that's why it'd be more expensive to pick up than it is to put down, even if you haven't emptied it out.

Locked laptops can also be more expensive to pick up because the stores will count the value of any data/software on the laptop when picking up even if it's locked, but only when the laptop is unlocked and turned on when dropping.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I had no idea that the necklace you start with was tied to the wraith. I rage quit this game because I thought the wraith was an inevitable occurrence and I could never outrun the fucker.

I always found a binocular or something that could be tied around the neck within the first or second day so I never made the connection. God I feel stupid.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

theDOWmustflow posted:

I had no idea that the necklace you start with was tied to the wraith. I rage quit this game because I thought the wraith was an inevitable occurrence and I could never outrun the fucker.

I always found a binocular or something that could be tied around the neck within the first or second day so I never made the connection. God I feel stupid.

You can actually wear up to three things around your neck at once! The game doesn't make that particularly obvious. So you should be able to wear whatever you need around your neck without ever removing the talisman.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Locked laptops can also be more expensive to pick up because the stores will count the value of any data/software on the laptop when picking up even if it's locked, but only when the laptop is unlocked and turned on when dropping.
No they aren't, as a hacker I made money by buying random locked laptops and selling them unlocked.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So what's a good build? I've been playing for a few days now, my last go had me die after almost 9 days. Made it to the DMC, got in, got thrown out by the police, eventually died of starvation.

I usually go for Strong, Melee, Trapper, Electrician.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SquadronROE posted:

So what's a good build? I've been playing for a few days now, my last go had me die after almost 9 days. Made it to the DMC, got in, got thrown out by the police, eventually died of starvation.

I usually go for Strong, Melee, Trapper, Electrician.
I would tend to take Mechanic over Electrician, particularly if you like carrying lots of stuff in conjunction with Strong. If you do go the "trader" route, then you can afford to take the Myopic flaw, only to have it fixed and greatly improved upon in the midgame. I also find Botany is really nice, because tannin tea is a lifesaver and also quite a money maker over basic water trading. Finding/identifying berries and poo poo also makes the hunger/thirst mechanic a lot easier to deal with, and could make the Metabolism flaw a lot easier to live with.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I prefer Botany to Strong. Sure, Strong has a ton of advantages like improved scavenging, but:
- hitting is preferable to damage in melee - keep then down and work them over, even if it feels like methodical torture (disturbingly realistic)
- more carrying capacity is not that useful, I never hit that in full clothes and with a backpack full of gear
- Botany gives you free food/water (berries sate thirst) everywhere, and no gear will save you when you starve.

...unless you're going for the recording/early Unstoppable start, it's awesome and you can't argue with awesome :v:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Melee and strong to get the recording is neat, but I've got no idea what to do with it. I do like strong for the scavenging bonus though, it really helps out when I start. Makes it so I can actually find stuff to create a glass shiv or whatever, until I find a butcher knife and pot.

I'll have to give Botany a shot though, instead of Electrician and with Myopic.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
The recording is really neat for having been implemented, but I love that Trapping gives you a similar end result because you can use it while talking Hatter to spot the obvious trap in the quest he was told to give you. He then just gives you the access bracelet. Never mind all the other amazing benefits of Trapping.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

The recording is really neat for having been implemented, but I love that Trapping gives you a similar end result because you can use it while talking Hatter to spot the obvious trap in the quest he was told to give you. He then just gives you the access bracelet. Never mind all the other amazing benefits of Trapping.

Yeah, I did figure that out. trapping is great for that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

I'll have to give Botany a shot though, instead of Electrician and with Myopic.

Oh right, Myopic is great because the $1000 eye surgery you get in the city disables it.

Kenny Logins posted:

I didn't mean that trick, I meant giving up the recording at Zom Zom's, which gives you a ton of points towards Unstoppable. And if you've got Hiding you can easily earn Elusive as well.

BTW, what's the deal with Hatter? He lies to you when showing you the MW's recording, blaming that on a recording glitch. Does he cooperate deeper with the MWs, or does he just want to deflect an uncomfortable topic?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 18, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Getting the dogman coat at the beginning really does help. No longer have to worry about finding coats, just a pot/can for boiling water and a good weapon.

Of course, after showing that recording to the right people, I now have "Unstoppable". Whatever that means.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

I now have "Unstoppable". Whatever that means.
It randomly gives you additional options in combat (those in black).

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Having a blast with this game; I picked it up a long time ago and conveniently, right when I was thinking of playing it, I find out it had its official release launch. It's easy to be overwhelmed by the complexity of it initially, but the sheer amount of options you have is so awesome once you get used to it, especially with the crafting/combat system.

Anyway, I finally have a character that actually lasted for more than 1-2 days now, using a Botany/Trapping/Ranged/Athletic build (my initial attempts at making a character with only tech skills and no outdoorsman skills further cemented my belief that if the world was reduced to naught, I would be dead instantly). He's going strong and has really come quite far: good equipment, money, health. However, I think I just screwed myself story-wise, as when I was attempting to do a job for the Hatter to sneak into Camp Grayling to upload something in a flashdrive, said flashdrive was stolen from me in a random encounter event. Am I stuck now? I suppose I could technically just retire and live my days out in semi-peace...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
No, that place has several options. Since you're complaining, I assume you haven't done the trade with Stoat for another pendrive? You'll probably have to find the group of survivalists that hand around near the Grayling base then.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Pierzak posted:

No, that place has several options. Since you're complaining, I assume you haven't done the trade with Stoat for another pendrive? You'll probably have to find the group of survivalists that hand around near the Grayling base then.

Ah, no, I haven't tried any of those other options (didn't know they existed since I'm playing blind), but I'm guessing what you're saying is that there are other options I can explore for handling this quest, even if I got screwed out of the other option. I didn't even think that this quest was important enough to warrant multiple options: it is story material?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes. I won't say more.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
This game judges me. I know it does.

I made my character completely inept at fighting of any sorts but instead a good hider, scout, runner, botanist medic who flees from absolutely everything at first glance, only lives of what he has in his pockets and never sets up a base anywhere.

I learned from previous attempts to never trust anyone anywhere ever and to never agree to anything and just run the other direction no matter what happens.

A woman calls me over with offers of free food. Naturally this is a trap because everything in this game is a trap and every human you ever encounter ever wants to kill you and revealing yourself to someone will get you a concussion.

So I did the sensible thing and burned her whole house down. It might not have been a trap. I don't. Anyway her whole family runs out the door on fire and then burns up on the ground which rewards me with a free lighter, a shotgun and ammo so I know I must have done something right.

Right after two dogmen spawn literally right on top of me and it becomes dusk. They didn't come walking over, they just spawned on me. I doubt it's a coincidence. This game has some sort of karma thing and I broke the rules so now I must arbitrarily die.

I have three shells for this gun which I'm going to save for deer so now it's time to see if I can outrun them before darkness comes.

Edit1: The dogmen chased me until they both fell asleep. I somehow got Cholera 3 and will try to weather it in a forest camp.

Edit2: By some miracle I survived cholera only to be left with sepsis which lead to death from bloodloss.

Recent playthrough:

Abilities
Medic
Hiding
Trapping
Eagle Eye
Botany
Electrician (one point left I had to use on something)

Flaws
Fragile
Metabolism

quote:

Survival Time: 6 days, 11.27 hours.

Final Moments:

Player ate some berries.
Player ate some berries.
Player ate some berries.
Player ate some berries.
Player ate some berries.
Player ate some berries.
Player ate some berries.
Player ate some berries.
Player drank some water.
Player drank some water.
Player drank some water.
Player is sneaking towards plains.
Player is sneaking towards forest.
** End Turn **
Player is shivering.
Player has lost a lot of blood, and will likely need hospital care soon.
Player is sneaking towards plains.
Player is sneaking towards hill.
Not enough moves left this turn.
It is now Evening
** End Turn **
Player died of blood loss.

Player is shivering.
The multitool at the cryo facility was found.
Player can see distant objects better than most people.
Player is skilled in obscuring the trail they leave behind and tracking others.
Player is athletic, and can move with less fatigue.
Player is skilled in medical procedures, which increases rate of recovery from wounds.
Player has a high metabolism, and consumes food and water faster than most. However, Player also recovers faster from wounds and illness.
Player is frail, is easier to wound, and takes longer to heal.
Player is unburdened by what they're carrying.
Player is well-rested.
Player's hunger is sated.
Player's thirst is slaked.
Player is actively hiding using advanced hiding skills, and is much harder to see.
Player is skilled at hiding, and can conceal themselves better than most.
Player is wearing the protective talisman.
Player died of blood loss.
Player is not experiencing any pain.
Player's whole body is in an inflammatory, potentially fatal state.
Player is skilled in trapping and snares.
Player already discovered Exam Room 17.
Player is skilled in diagnosing and repairing electronics.
Player examined the tracks in the cryo facility.
Player is knowledgeable in plants.
The boot near the car with the sleeping bag was found.
The sleeping bag from the car was taken.
Player discovered the bank account info at the cryo facility.
Player knows that the creature coming down the hall was a dogman.
Player already returned to the cryo facility.
Player already had Martha's Army conversation 1 with recruiter.
Player already had Martha's Army conversation 2 with recruiter.
Player saw the glow in the east.
Player has not acted significantly more evil or good.

Edit3:
Next playthrough:

Abilities
Melee
Strong
Trapping
Tough

Flaws
Metabolism
Myopia

A confrontational thickhead that kills other scavengers and eats them. I want to see how long I can survive as a cannibal.

Edit4: I killed Dogman with my bare hands and ate him. Now it's on :black101:

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 25, 2015

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You probably got cholera from drinking a bunch of water that had cholera in it. That's how people usually get cholera.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Really nice game indeed. Even if the game is not really nice to you.
My deaths stats:
20% freezing
20% some illness
40% dogman in middle of then night
20% choosing the wrong option in the special locations

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Is there even a single instance in this game where being nice to someone doesn't bite you in the rear end? Because I have yet to see it if that is the case. I mean, I can appreciate trying to deviate from the typical "being nice is always rewarded better than being mean", but going in the fully opposite direction isn't any more exciting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah a couple of the events reward you for taking the most-good option. Usually it's something fairly minor, but it's still a pure gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah a couple of the events reward you for taking the most-good option. Usually it's something fairly minor, but it's still a pure gain.

I'll never see that then because after getting dicked over so many times I'm only watching out for myself now :v:

• Locked thread