Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I found some binoculars, happy day! Still no shoes though.
Just look at this view!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I was just doing really well, had a rifle, ammo, a full medkit, the works.. found a nice out of the way forest to sleep in and a dogman claws me. gently caress

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Yeah, I was doing really well too and just died. Scoped rifle with a sling, lots of ammo, and the urn to head back to the hatter. Then I died of cholera. :smith:

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Playing the demo and I really like it. I got surprisingly far my first time (before dying of thirst because I didn't think to boil water, how do you make a fire?) I love donating $10 to little projects like these, checking back with them every few months and see them progress, it's so cool! I remember Mount & Blade was like that.

I am confused in the first part using melee traits to kick its rear end then wanting to take the security footage for posterity but I always get stuck at this part as in nothing I click on does anything and there is no way to progress. I get this red bar icon that I can rotate with the A & D keys but cannot click on anything with it. Anyone else ran into this?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

bromplicated posted:

Playing the demo and I really like it. I got surprisingly far my first time (before dying of thirst because I didn't think to boil water, how do you make a fire?) I love donating $10 to little projects like these, checking back with them every few months and see them progress, it's so cool! I remember Mount & Blade was like that.

I am confused in the first part using melee traits to kick its rear end then wanting to take the security footage for posterity but I always get stuck at this part as in nothing I click on does anything and there is no way to progress. I get this red bar icon that I can rotate with the A & D keys but cannot click on anything with it. Anyone else ran into this?

Um, that's the footage. You have to put it in your inventory.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

How do you do that? I don't see inventory anywhere at this screen only until you get outside.

edit: You press 'i' of course. That certainly wasn't obvious!

Except now I can't close the items screen, despite clicking the button.

Banjo Bones fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 18, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

i poo poo trains posted:

Did someone move a decimal place on the canvas backpacks? I thought it was kinda weird that my top-quality one was worth $1500

That's how much the backpack + everything that is inside it is worth. It's your net worth :v:

Borvo posted:

Reading on other forums about this game, it seems that randomly dying of everything at once is a confirmed bug. You can wear up to two t-shirts at the same time but doing so will not cause you to explode like a tube of Pillsbury rolls left out in the sun.

You can wear 3 t-shirts, a hoody and another large overcoat on top of that (currently the only one I know of is made from squirrel pelts).

bromplicated posted:

How do you do that? I don't see inventory anywhere at this screen only until you get outside.

edit: You press 'i' of course. That certainly wasn't obvious!

Except now I can't close the items screen, despite clicking the button.

That "issue" is explained under the "player hints" section in the OP. After putting the item into your inventory click the encounter button again to go back to it.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev
More great questions and comments! I'll do my best to answer those that are not yet addressed by others.

@Red Mundus and Can-O-Raid, you're not the only ones to call out the hydration and other balance issues. I'll probably need to revisit traits and abilities now that there is more player data to draw from.

Re: Armageddon Empires, I really enjoyed playing that one. It struck me as a nice blend of Magic: The Gathering style deck building and hex-based strategy wargame, all in a post apocalyptic setting. Been meaning to reinstall it on a couple occasions, but can't seem to find my registration key!

@blurry!, indeed! The UI definitely needs de-clunking. As for hiding, the demo only allows for getting out of line-of-sight. Having tracking will make it such that they don't see your tracks as well to follow you. The beta allows the player to sneak if they have the Hiding skill, which reduces the chances an enemy will close on the player based on line-of-sight, but tracking/footprints are still a consideration. It's a simplified system for now, but others have also asked about hiding out in forests and buildings, so it's something I've got on the list.

And combat is an early draft too. Lots of room for changes/growth in that system.

@Xik, I agree that the game is more interesting if abilities actually differ and change the way one plays the game. I think there's a lot of that going on, which I'm happy to see, and I'd prefer to make the game more versatile rather than less. Perhaps this means certain abilities cost more than others to obtain, or maybe I need to add mechanics/encounters that reward the less popular abilities. This will be a very difficult balance to maintain, but I hope to maintain it.

@Firehippo, I actually considered Kickstarter at one point, but they don't allow projects based outside the US yet. Doh!

@beef express, that's a really good idea! It may be a while before I can get around to it, but sneak penalties for vehicles is on my list!

@Naar, I missed that one (perpetual injury bug in dogman/cryo confirm). Thanks!

@Julius Milkwhite, send me an email using the address here:
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/20
and include your username. Many of the email issues I've fixed thusfar have been a typo in the address. But if there is a known email issue apart from that, you're right, I should make that top priority!

@bromplicated, sounds like you found the workaround, and Xik helped you the rest of the way (thanks Xik!). That UI bug is annoying, but I haven't yet figured out the cause. I'd say that bug, plus the "everything death" are the two top bugs to squash, I just can't reproduce them reliably enough to debug. Hang in there!

Thanks again everyone, this is great feedback!

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Stumbled on the thread last night, ended up playing into the morning. Bought into the beta this afternoon. Can't wait to see the updates to this, it's just great!

Is there a wiki for this game somewhere yet?

Edit: Found out how to equip weapons. It's at the bottom right of the screen. I'm dumb.

Age of the Atomic Mom fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 19, 2012

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay
I had a lot of fun with this! It seems like being a non-combat character is the way to go. Human enemies seem pretty random in their strength levels, so even with strong/tough/melee and a crowbar, some bandit with a wrench can 2-shot you.

Has anybody found any use for the mechanic, electrician and hacking skills beyond the intro scene in the demo? I understand that the full game is probably not going to be all wilderness, but just for loving around in the demo they don't seem worthwhile.

Also, are there any other ranged weapons other than the rifle? I never seem to find any scraps of paper with recipes so maybe there's a sling or something.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I have been taking Trapping in every game so far, and only in one of them did I ever find any animals (and in that game I only had a cleaver which apparently can't be used to butcher a squirrel). How can I reliably, or at all really, find animals using the trapping skill? Scavenging forests and fields over and over doesn't seem to ever yield animals for me.

Also the rifle is awesome, feels very powerful and ammo is scarce enough that I have to really think about when I want to fight or flee.

Are there any plans in the future to allow you to establish a hideout or stash or anything? Coming from UnReal world it feels a bit like half the survival experience is missing :)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is this only playable in a browser? I'm going on a long car ride tomorrow and a downloadable demo will be perfect to toss on my notebook.

Either way I'll be throwing money at the devs as soon as my next paycheck rolls in, it looks like this might literally be the game I've been waiting for all my life. (I mean stuff like Project Zomboid looks promising and all but turn-based will always be where it's at for me...)

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I just had a go on the demo, I was running around wearing my hospital gown, a hoodie and a shoe on my left foot holding a shopping bag full of berries, twigs and ketchup. I found half a dozen shoes and not a single right shoe.

I eventually died of dehydration (in the rain).

It's a lot of fun so far, I can see myself playing this quite a bit in the future.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is there actually a drawback to wearing two left boots?

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I didn't even try putting a left boot on my right foot...

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Daikoku posted:

I had a lot of fun with this! It seems like being a non-combat character is the way to go. Human enemies seem pretty random in their strength levels, so even with strong/tough/melee and a crowbar, some bandit with a wrench can 2-shot you.

Has anybody found any use for the mechanic, electrician and hacking skills beyond the intro scene in the demo? I understand that the full game is probably not going to be all wilderness, but just for loving around in the demo they don't seem worthwhile.

Also, are there any other ranged weapons other than the rifle? I never seem to find any scraps of paper with recipes so maybe there's a sling or something.

Yeah at the moment pretty much every play-through I do is non-combat, combat is too risky. Still, I never learn, combat is almost always how I die after getting a little too confident and thinking "gently caress it, I can take em".

Mechanic, Electrician and Hacking currently have no use outside the first encounter that I know of, if you have already seen the options they give you and read the resulting dialog there isn't much point taking them until the story gets developed.

The rifle is the only ranged weapon at the moment.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I have been taking Trapping in every game so far, and only in one of them did I ever find any animals (and in that game I only had a cleaver which apparently can't be used to butcher a squirrel). How can I reliably, or at all really, find animals using the trapping skill? Scavenging forests and fields over and over doesn't seem to ever yield animals for me.

Also the rifle is awesome, feels very powerful and ammo is scarce enough that I have to really think about when I want to fight or flee.

Are there any plans in the future to allow you to establish a hideout or stash or anything? Coming from UnReal world it feels a bit like half the survival experience is missing :)

As far as trapping goes, I admit :iiam: I have found squirrels and can get the meat from them using the pocket knife/tool and I've found a recipe for a trap. I've created traps but then have no idea what to do with them.

There appears to be plans for a player camp. It's one of the options on the feature voting page and appears to be pretty popular.

im a girl btw posted:

I found half a dozen shoes and not a single right shoe.

You can put either shoe on either foot. The downside is apparently comfort, but it's possible that it's bugged/doesn't work or is so negligible there is no functional difference.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Xik posted:

As far as trapping goes, I admit :iiam: I have found squirrels and can get the meat from them using the pocket knife/tool and I've found a recipe for a trap. I've created traps but then have no idea what to do with them.

I am having a lot of trouble keeping myself fed if I avoid the city gate and just wander. I have tons of ammo, two scoped/slung rifles, a medkit, medicine, plenty of water, etc. However, I cannot for the life of me come up with enough food. Character is hiding, trapping, tracking, athletics, night vision, feeble FWIW.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Is there actually a drawback to wearing two left boots?

I seem to get crippled a lot more often when using two left or two right boots, could just be me being terrible at the game though.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

I am having a lot of trouble keeping myself fed if I avoid the city gate and just wander. I have tons of ammo, two scoped/slung rifles, a medkit, medicine, plenty of water, etc. However, I cannot for the life of me come up with enough food. Character is hiding, trapping, tracking, athletics, night vision, feeble FWIW.

Food is usually not something that is generally a problem in my games, I have no idea why. There are a few options:

• The most obvious is scavenge for food. I just eat everything I see when I scavenge and keep some a bunch of crackers in my backpack for emergencies.
  • Cooked meat, but yeah, I have still have no idea how to trap correctly. I'll give it a go on my next game but try creating a trap and then putting it on the ground. Wait a couple of turns to see if you can catch anything.
  • Berries and mushrooms. There are always plenty of these either just on the ground on most tiles or scavenging forest tiles. Without Botany though you will have to rely on finding the recipe to determine if berries are edible. Which makes picking up scraps of paper important to check for recipes. Paper is everywhere, just check the ground of every tile, you'll find loads.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Switch out trapping for botany. Mushrooms and berries (even after excluding the poisonous varieties) is a lot more abundant than squirrels.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Xik posted:

Food is usually not something that is generally a problem in my games, I have no idea why. There are a few options:

• The most obvious is scavenge for food. I just eat everything I see when I scavenge and keep some a bunch of crackers in my backpack for emergencies.
  • Cooked meat, but yeah, I have still have no idea how to trap correctly. I'll give it a go on my next game but try creating a trap and then putting it on the ground. Wait a couple of turns to see if you can catch anything.
  • Berries and mushrooms. There are always plenty of these either just on the ground on most tiles or scavenging forest tiles. Without Botany though you will have to rely on finding the recipe to determine if berries are edible. Which makes picking up scraps of paper important to check for recipes. Paper is everywhere, just check the ground of every tile, you'll find loads.

I figured out how to use traps, and I think that has solved my food problem. You just select them like a crowbar when you scavenge a forest area. Seems to raise loot by a fair bit and nets squirrels.

I don't know about the berries in particular but you guys know that you can tell good mushrooms from bad ones by looking at the value, right? Good ones are 50c per, bad ones are worth much, much less. I think you can identify all the plants that way but I don't know the prices for poisonous/good berries. Also this is a more convenient way to identify which bottles in your inventory contain purified water (regular water is $2 per bottle, purified is $6).

e: where do I find recipes? I find plenty of newspapers and ipads but I'm pretty sure I never see any scraps of paper. What kind of areas do you find them in?

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 19, 2012

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to use botany to identify mushrooms/berries without finding the scrap paper that tells you how? I can only ever do it by clicking on the recipe when there's berries on the ground, then "botany" automatically shows up in the crafting window.

edit:

e: where do I find recipes? I find plenty of newspapers and ipads but I'm pretty sure I never see any scraps of paper. What kind of areas do you find them in?

Literally everywhere. There's almost too many right now. You might be confusing them with the plastic bags - scraps of paper are two units high by one unit wide and look like crumpled white paper.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
You should be able to pick up and move the "botany" skill from your abilities page to your items page and place it in the crafting window.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

I figured out how to use traps, and I think that has solved my food problem. You just select them like a crowbar when you scavenge a forest area. Seems to raise loot by a fair bit and nets squirrels.

Ohhhhhh, that makes sense. Thanks.

I don't know about the berries in particular but you guys know that you can tell good mushrooms from bad ones by looking at the value, right?

It didn't occur to me to do that with berries/mushrooms. I use the value to quickly check if the water in my bottles is purified but not the berries/mushrooms. That should probably be removed from the game and should be considered a bug IMO. Ideally it should not show the item value until you have "identified it", similar to roguelikes.

Regarding the recipes, it's in the OP:

UncleSmoothie posted:

Is there a way to use botany to identify mushrooms/berries without finding the scrap paper that tells you how?

As Takanago says, you can take skills from your abilities page and put them in the crafting window.

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter
Trapping is great. Use a squirrel trap and get 1-2 squirrels per forest tile. Cure the meat (using trapping+ash+campfire+stick I think) and collect their pelts. Make a squirrel furcoat. Eat jerky every day.

Btw how do you sneak in the beta?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Potzblitz! posted:

Btw how do you sneak in the beta?

I'm not sure anymore. I just loaded it up and noticed that it's no longer possible.

It's normally a blue button in the corner with these:

It looks like the release has been rolled back, it's now 0.921b but according to the OP I had put that the latest is 0.921d a couple days ago. Maybe sneaking isn't in this build?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Xik posted:

I'm not sure anymore. I just loaded it up and noticed that it's no longer possible.

It's normally a blue button in the corner with these:

It looks like the release has been rolled back, it's now 0.921b but according to the OP I had put that the latest is 0.921d a couple days ago. Maybe sneaking isn't in this build?

Are recipes a Beta only thing? I'm not getting them in the demo either.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Takanago posted:

You should be able to pick up and move the "botany" skill from your abilities page to your items page and place it in the crafting window.

On this note, I managed to lose all my skills by "taking" them off this screen. Does anyone know if/how to get them back? :(

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Barely lasted until nightfall on my first try, ended up with a medkit and an iPad, wearing a brown shirt and 2 right shoes.
:patriot:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Can-O-Raid posted:

Are recipes a Beta only thing? I'm not getting them in the demo either.

There was an update last week which allowed you to hover over the recipe to view the items it requires but I thought the demo still had the system which the beta had before that.

I just had a quick go at the Demo and I think there may not be any scraps of paper in it, I couldn't find any. Which would explain the comment earlier about not being able to find them, in the Beta they are literally everywhere.

Still, you should be able to use the crafting system if you already knew the recipes?

beef express posted:

On this note, I managed to lose all my skills by "taking" them off this screen. Does anyone know if/how to get them back? :(

Is this on the Demo or the Beta? If the Demo, perhaps there is a bug that removes the ability because the crafting system isn't completely implemented? I have no idea how to get them back sorry, I've never had the abilities completely disappear before, are they completely gone from the abilities screen?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

I keep getting ganked in my sleep, I need a guard dog!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Potzblitz! posted:

Trapping is great. Use a squirrel trap and get 1-2 squirrels per forest tile. Cure the meat (using trapping+ash+campfire+stick I think) and collect their pelts. Make a squirrel furcoat. Eat jerky every day.

I can't seem to get curing to work. Tried stick + ash + raw meat + campfire + trapping, stick + ash + raw meat + tiny campfire + trapping, tried with my multitool, with string, with a saucepan, with water.

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter
I think I just "won" the beta.

I was off to a really bad start when every time I entered a building it would collapse onto me, and was finally mortally wounded (i.e. no health bar left) when I fell into a ravine. Despite having almost no supplies and being down to just one move per turn, I decided to try to get to Junktown. When I finally made it there, I was barely alive, dying of thirst and hunger and dead tired because I had been too scared to sleep or rest.

Luckily, I had found two rifles on the way (no ammo), which I then traded for some sweet, sweet nanobots. They healed my injuries pretty quickly and after buying every bit of food and drink they had, I could finally start scavenging for real. At first, I stuck to the area surrounding the DMC, selling most of the stuff I found, until I could get a rifle and some ammo. Then I started foraging in the nearby woods, mostly trapping squirrels. I had six moves per turn at this point (full health + athletic + shoes) and was doing really well, getting up to six squirrels a turn.

After a while, I had a squirrel suit (tunic+gloves), a scoped rifle with plenty of ammo, NV goggles, a rucksack full of water and jerky and all the tools I needed. I then decided to try to kill as many raiders as possible, which I did until I ran out of ammo. And then there was nothing left to do...

tl;dr this game owns but I need more content

I can't seem to get curing to work. Tried stick + ash + raw meat + campfire + trapping, stick + ash + raw meat + tiny campfire + trapping, tried with my multitool, with string, with a saucepan, with water.
I think it might be beta-only. It's definitely raw meat + campfire + stick + ash + trapping, though.

Potzblitz! fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 20, 2012

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Here's a bug for you, BBG: when you roll your mouse over where the recipes are, even when not on the item screen, the recipe popups still occur. Minor, but now I can say I'm helping! :v:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Broke down and bought beta, loving this game. Also beta has a (working) save feature now, didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Xik posted:

Is this on the Demo or the Beta? If the Demo, perhaps there is a bug that removes the ability because the crafting system isn't completely implemented? I have no idea how to get them back sorry, I've never had the abilities completely disappear before, are they completely gone from the abilities screen?

Yeah, this was on the beta. I was trying to use Botany but accidentally dropped it before I moused over the encounter button. Then I idiotically repeated the process with all my other skills. It's my own fault really :shobon:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Potzblitz! posted:

I think I just "won" the beta.

Congrats. Out of the countless games I've had, I've only really got to a really comfortable spot like that once. I had nothing to do so I went around the edge of the entire map. Partly because there was nothing else to do and partly because I was kind of hoping there would be some edge that I could "fall off"/bug out, it would have been a fitting end for the character. In the end I just closed the browser because I was tired of going (quite literally) around in circles.

beef express posted:

Yeah, this was on the beta. I was trying to use Botany but accidentally dropped it before I moused over the encounter button. Then I idiotically repeated the process with all my other skills. It's my own fault really :shobon:

Oh, this was during an encounter? I thought it was trying to craft something? Either way that's a pretty hilarious bug. "Don't misplace your abilities or you'll lose them for good" :v:

Also:

:frogsiren: New Build :frogsiren:

Demo is now v0.912d
Beta is now v0.922b

Full news item is on the site but here is a conveniently parsed breakdown of the goodies for your enjoyment:

Demo and Beta:
  • Fix for player condition expiry and chaining. Medkit now correctly only lasts 6 hours, gastroenteritis and cholera expire correctly and there is a slight chance they will heal by themselves.
  • New hotkeys. Spacebar advances encounters and "E" scavenges.
  • Unidentified mushroom cost is fixed. All unidentified ones will now cost the same.
Beta only:
  • Saving. Press ESC to bring up the main menu. You can now save and load. Save games last as long as you don't override them. :staredog:
  • Fix for hiding/sneaking, it was broke in the last build but is now working again. It takes one move to activate.

Reminder: For those of you that are getting a postcard (purchased the Yukon Edition) you have a day left to contact Dan if you want the card to have a name other then the one on the billing address used to purchase.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is there any way to permanently delete items from an area? They fill up pretty quick if you are returning to them, and it seems to bug out and stop items from spawning from scavenging and recipes.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Is there any way to permanently delete items from an area?

I'm afraid not. I'm pretty curious though, what has lead you to this situation? I don't think I've ever gone back to previously "pillaged" tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Xik posted:

I'm afraid not. I'm pretty curious though, what has lead you to this situation? I don't think I've ever gone back to previously "pillaged" tiles.

They respawn new scavenge-able areas pretty much constantly. If I find a cluster of shack-in-the-woods tiles I stick around and scavenge them each in turn getting ammo, lighter fuel, water, pelts, etc. They fill up with junk really quickly.

I don't know if roofs are collapsing more frequently in the beta or what, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm either meant to: not ever scavenge aparment or office buildings, rely on always having medical nanites, or beeline for the city and not `live' out in the wastes. This is with night vision as well, I hate to think how quickly your game would get ruined by collapsing buildings without night vision giving a monster boost to `safety'.

• Locked thread