Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I am so loving sold on this. MG Blitz Gundam is gonna be awesome

I'm glad the blitz gundam is looking as good as it does, It was my one of my favorite seed designs, even though the pilot sucked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Shizuoka Hobby Show opens today. Confirmed new Gunpla thus far:
– HGUC Hambrabi

Jesus Bandai it took you long enough to release this one. Hyped as hell for it though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the mg sazabi has lovely proportions and some noticeable seam lines, get the hguc.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I lke the scheme but you should get some putty and get rid of the seam line on the shoulder. And maybe trim down the flash on the waist pipe.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I thought touching up the paint would cover the seam. Tamiya doesn't seem to like being applied with a brush, or being watered down, very odd.

as someone who's learned from experience, paint never ever covers up a seam line, if you paint something, it only emphasises surface imperfections.

Als tamiya is terrible for handbrushing, it dries too fast. You can thin it out with rubbing alcohol though, makes it good for airbrushing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

for the first time ever I have no idea what how I want to pose my kit. I really like the 00 quanta's regular look, with the sword bits in the shield, but the ridiculously over sized sword it can have appeals to me.

decisions, decisions.... :ohdear:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't think they make the full saber for the mg, do they? As for weight issues if needed I'll just drill a brass rod in the arm for stability. I think it can hold up the sword, but not in its blaster configuration.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

there is only one acceptable paint scheme for the rx-78

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

I've heard a couple scattered reports of weak ankles too (or was that the QAN[T]?), but come on, something like that's gonna be in a flying pose on an Action Base anyway.

the exia is known for having really bad ankles, the QAN[T] I'm working on seems fine though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I wouldn't mind the freedom if only to get one good looking suit out of the strike freedom frame.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can't say that I'm looking forward to the RG Zeta. I love the design, but transformable suits rarely seem that stable to me and are annoying to build. I actually prefer partformers for my model kits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

^ poo poo like that is why I refuse to get the victory mg, even though I love the design.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I must be one of the few who prefer partformers over transformable suits, transformable suits are paint scratching nightmares.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

I guess my thing is I don't really consider the Real Grade line a painting line for me personally. The parts are all too small and easily lost for me to really even think about wanting to go that route, and then there's the issue with inner frames already being pre-assembled but with sliding or moving parts. Plus the Real Grade line is pretty insane about the fact that not only is every piece already molded in its proper color, but it goes out of its way to divide the panels up into multiple shades of the same color.

I paint all my kits no matter the grade, be it perfect grade, master grade whatever. I'm going to start on my rg freedom after I finish my mg epyon, so I'll see how it holds up.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

glad to see I'll have a mg nu without a stupidly oversized head.

Also please PLEASE Be better then the MG hi-nu.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've come to realize how spoiled I am with the new kits, because whenever I build a post 2008 Mg I get pissed off if I have to fill a seam line.

I'm looking at you mg epyon and deathscythe hell.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zedd posted:

Also the EVA-01 I guess since that is also Bandai.

I have this kit and I really regret purchasing it. It sucks.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

yeah I had to use baby powder to get it to fit right. God help you if it rips and it's a pain in the rear end to paint. Also big seam lines in the legs, granted it's hard to avoid given the eva designs.

I also picked up a pg wing zero which had those annoying rubber feathers. I picked the two worst pg's and it really turned me off them for a long time.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have it, it's a good mg but I'd have to agree that getting a stand would be a good idea.

Plus the Gn-X looks loving awesome, so go for it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I need to show people this. Because it is awesome.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

great the mg nu looks gorgeous and they're actually making an mg tallgeese. Bandai go makes some master grades of zz kits so I can actually start saving my money.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wanted to contribute a little as thanks for all the help I've been given, so here's some pictures of my HG and RG Freedom's

This is basic shot of the HG

Jesus Christ I never knew the original hg of the freedom was so bad. Those proportions! :stare:

I have the rg freedom and it's going to be my first RG. I'm looking forward to it and despite the flaws of Seed, the freedom remains a drat good design.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

My model store has not had a resupply of tamiya red in three months. I need more of it to finish my mg epyon and I really want to finish this drat thing.

Does anybody know what the best place to buy this stuff online is? I also need it shipped to canada.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So this is basically Bandai 90% abandoning MG at this point, right? :sigh:

what? They're releasing a new mg almost every month. We have the nu coming in december, the tallgeese in January! They occasionally release the RG instead of an Mg, but the Mg line is not even close to being dead.

... I may pick the RG destiny, I'll decide if I want it when the prototype comes out.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 21, 2012

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

awesome news bandai. 2012 and January 2013 had a shitload of mg's that I wanted, now they're making stuff that I don't want. Thanks for sparing my wallet!

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 22, 2012

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

I had a dream...

...and it's name is Zero.

... It's finally happening. :aaa:

took you long enough Bandai. Now give me my mg v2 and gundam x.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Midjack posted:

This is true for basically all shiny extra finish kits.

I bought one of those shiny plated kits a decade ago, of the first mg rx-78.

Never made a mistake like that again. Anyway since I paint all my kits I would avoid them even if they did the sprues righ I think I was the only person who was happy to find out that the re-release of the mg hyaku shiki they made years ago wasn't plated.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

For the first time ever I may not disassemble a kit before painting it. Because jesus CHRIST is the transformable vf-25 a pain in the rear end to transform, and it would be a paint scratching nightmare.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, the Messiah is suffering from being a CGI Valkyrie, so it has the same problem Michael Bay's Transformers do with being insanely complex. Can't wait to see what you do with it though.

yeah I usually hate transforming kits due to paint scratches but I love the designs of the frontier valkyries, so I'm going to give it a shot.

It's also cool to have it at a scale which allows me to use another, non gundam related modelling stuff with it. I'm planing on making a hanger scene with maintenance crews fixing it up. I can also use some weathering techniques for aircraft that I've picked up over the years.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

I think the Zeta is what it is because someone decided they wanted to beat the VF-1 Valkyrie at its own game - "you think that's complicated, try THIS on for size" - but in reality it's always been quite toy-unfriendly and no degree of technological advancement is ever going to completely solve that.

I suppose the last few attempts have been impressive not because they work well, but because they work at all.

as someone who has worked on both the mg zeta 2.0 and the bandai frontier kits, I will take the zeta any day of the week. I really hate transformable kits, but good god the more I work on the vf-25 the more I hate the god drat thing. It has so many god drat moving parts that getting the jet mode to look like its supposed to is drat near impossible. The zeta while complicated, could look okay in both modes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Epyon. It's an amazing kit and should be on everyone's shelf.

I found it annoying that there are big seam lines on the wings on both the black and the red parts, which made it a pain in the rear end to paint.

Everything else about the kit is pretty sweet though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Edit: In other news, I just bought a MG Full Armor Unicorn for 95 bucks shipped. Will be my first Unicorn build.
Unicorn's a good kit, I'm painting it now and it's a good build. Painting the pyschoframe green, because I really think it looks better that way.

You are buying a statue though, there is no way that you can put that thing in any dynamic pose whatsoever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the rouge bat is trying so hard to be awesome like the deathscythe hell custom but fails miserably at it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

gently caress Gundam Markers.

Truth. Christ they are a waste of money, don't really work that well, relatively expensive and hard to use.

I switched to enamel washes and I love it. Zippo lighter fluid works great as a thinner and doesn't damage the top coat I use at all, and you can bet a big jug of it for cheap.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Oblique Angle posted:

Some don't have quite the number but definitely try to over-compensate...

aka this sword is used to cut SHIPS in half. :v:

Alternatively I would just post the Freedom or Destiny in full burst poses but I haven't built them yet sooo

You know, I have to hand it to the mg designers, I really wasn't a big fan of the destiny or the impulse when they were animated, but the new proportions and style they used for the mg versions won me over. I'll likely pick them up sooner or later.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought the zeta 2.0 kit was fine, god help you if you paint it and try and to transform, and the v-fin was finicky, but I can't really say I have a lot of complaints against it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm just posting to whine about the mg unicorn and how assembling it after painting the pyschoframe green is god drat nightmare. I've had to repaint the upper leg pyschoframe twice already, as everything is so easy to scratch, even with a topcoat. So glad I'm almost done this kit.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 1, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

three reasons really

1) I'm cheap.
2) I don't like how the FA unicorn looks- it has too much crap just plastered on it.
3) I paint all my kits anyway.

But yeah, this seems like a kit that was never intended for painting.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

http://tendoutoys.blogspot.ca/2013/04/g-creation-x-robot-kid-sd-genesic.html

So who wants a third party SD Genesic GaoGaiGar?

Picture of an OOB build with comparison to D-Style GaoGaiGar

If they ever, somehow, made a decent genesic gaogaigar model kit that wasn't a 400 dollar resin kit, I think I would die a happy man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have the OYW version of the mg rx-78 on my buy list, but I may get the origin one.

The 2.0 while a good kit engineering wise, just looks like rear end to me.

• Locked thread