Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

BizarroAzrael posted:

That's a fine lookin' OP.

Can someone confirm for me that the small Revoltech joints, the ones used for wrists, are 6mm? Might be ordering some to replace the wrist on my Alucard. Only problem is they don't seem to sell packets of the white ones that I need for some reason. Alternatively I could get Ed Elrick and take the spare white wrist from him by using his Automail arm.

At this point wouldn't it just be easier to paint a different one white?

Also, just wanting to say I love the new OP. You did a really nice job on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Those Leos are a thing to behold. I might be in love. Too bad they are going to cost an arm and a leg... Luckily, with them being in the Robot Damashii line, they will be built more sturdily than when OZ built them.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Zeether posted:

How good are the Revoltech Patlabor figures? I'm thinking of getting one because they look so cool (plus I watched the first movie and it kicked rear end)

I have all of them except the Helldiver (if anyone has it I'd be interested) and the Aqua type Griffon. I'm rather fond of them. Make sure to get the movie versions though, way better than the original ones. The biggest issue is Alphonse and 02 are under the same Revoltech production number so make sure you know which one you're getting. I had to argue with people for sending me the wrong one because they had it misrepresented.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Zeether posted:

I got the Revoltech Patlabor in today, and...it can't hold the revolvers or the shotgun. The hands for holding them seem to be sculpted wrong.

I had this problem too. Seeing as you're in a modelling thread, what you need to do is take your exacto knife and shave off some of the paint on the inside of the hand which will let the robot hold it.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Word is that HGUC Byarlant Custam and Hamburai are coming this year too.

Hammrabi is getting a release? I've been wanting one of those forever! Now I can pay Yazan the proper tribute he deserves.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Wow, that thing is just glorious. I like the Sazabi too, but I already have in in HGUC form so I don't see myself buying it again unless it's way better.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I'm trying to start painting my models now and just got through with my Neue Ziel. I'm having some real issues finding the right colors to go with the kits though. I don't have an airbrush so I'm currently constrained to purchasing cans of spray paint to paint plus a small cadre of gundam markers. Any advice for a place to get more specific colors of spray paints? Also, whats a good primer to use?

I've got Kshatriya and the RG Zaku and RX-78 I'd like to make look great so I'm really trying to get my painting better. I've just outgrown panel lining and building by itself I guess.

For fun, here is my Neue Ziel and a shot of some of my other guys.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Jesus Bandai it took you long enough to release this one. Hyped as hell for it though.

I've wanted a Hammrabi for so long. I can finally give Yazan the tribute he deserves. Maybe I'll pile up broken AEUG mechs around him for authenticity.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

jesus_rocket posted:

I started watching gundam a few months ago and bought a MG Zaku 2.0 and RX-79(G). As well as a HG Geara Doga, Domtropen and Hygogg. Most of my painting experience has been with warhammer so painting all the little details was awesomely relaxing.
I wanna try building bigger models since I like how impressive they look on my shelf, and bigger stuff takes me longer to paint as I'm cheap so I just do it by hand.

Has anyone had any experience with the 1/100 Sazabi? I was thinking about picking up a 1/48 scale model, but they seem kinda plain.

While I only have the 1/144 Sazabi, I hear that the MG version has huge problems with limbs just popping off which is also present in the HGUC version I own.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I'm working on my first fully painted model, a Dreissen and I'm at the part I dreaded most... the baroque markings on the chest and sleeves. I need some advice on painting these. Would it be best to buy a gundam marker or what? I don't have any experience in hand painting.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I decided to try my hand at painting for the first time with my AMX-009 Dreissen. I think it's vaguely passable as a first attempt. Any thoughts on where I can improve? I still need to do panel lining and color in the Sleeves markings.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

It's time to start gearing up to build Sinanju and I come to the problem of the trim. My plan is to spray the areas gold with acrylic or enamel and then do a layer of black in the other medium on top which I'll then rub off from the raised areas with something to reveal the gold underneath. Basically the same principal behind a panel line wash and clean up.

It'll be something like this but gold and black.

What will remove acrylic but not the enamel (or the other way round)? I currently use surgical spirit to clean up my acrylic washes, but that's only over bare plastic, does anybody know how it interacts with enamel?

where were you 3 days ago? Man, I really need to redo my trim, it looks so lovely.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Anyone have a good suggestion for a color for Char's Zaku II. I can't find any pink in the stores in my area so it looks like I'm going to have to order it online. Additionally, how do you panel line a painted kit? I tried my standard tactic of rubbing off the excess from my sharpie, but it doesn't rub off as easy or at all with it being painted.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I don't know why you aren't just saving up for the ultimate mobile suit, the Hammurabi! I seriously can't get over how excited I am about it.

On another note, the drat weather has been so muggy and hot up here the past few days I'm afraid to try painting anything. I really hope things get a bit more conducive to me wasting my time soon.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Just bought my Hammurabi from HLJ. I'm almost too excited about this suit.

On another note, I need some help finding the right spraypaint for my Kshatriya. I need a color for the light green but Hobby Lobby has nothing that even remotely resembles the color I'm looking for. Everything is way too dark.

I'm thinking Pearl Green maybe? https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=85060

The problem is I don't really have any stores around me with Tamiya paints.

Honest Ray fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 24, 2012

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I wish they'd redo the MG Kampfer. It's easily one of my favorite designs in the show. Thing just looks like it's a loving problem. It doesn't hurt that 0080 is loving awesome.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I'd be excited to see an official HGUC Nightengale to be honest. I don't know why, but I have a fascination with buying the most obese suits out there and this is the only thing that can steal The O's thunder.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Might Gaine is gone...

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Popehoist posted:

A friend of mine bought me the Sinanju Stein. I seriously don't deserve friends this awesome.

I've always wanted a Sinanju but dreaded trying to paint that loving gold trim, so this is perfect for me.

Just do a reverse wash on it. Thats how I did my Kshatriya. Practice it first. I tried it out on a Super Deformed Kshatriya to make sure it worked.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

So I was doing some panel lining on my HGUC Hammrabi and the ball joint on his right leg just snapped right the hell off. The whole kit is done, painted, and assembled so I was very dismayed. Is there any way to fix this or am I just totally hosed?

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Just super glue it? It's pretty flush off the ball. I would like it to still be pliable enough to pose it. Hammrabi is one of my favorite suits so it's really bumming me out.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Here is the break I had. It's pretty severe.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I don't care what anyone says, DeathGuy is the fist of Zeon.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

So I finally decided to get back on this nightmare Gunpla train and start working on my backlog. After buying some new kits of course. I picked up Zaku Amazing as well as Kaempfer Amazing because, well, they both looked amazing. I'm a big Zaku fan in general and Kaempfer is super rad, not to mention 0080 being my favorite Gundam series. I completed the Zaku Amazing which was a lot of fun. I was then inspired to work on a kit I bought a long time ago but was too intimidated to open up, Kshatriya. Fo Kshatriya, I was considering painting it to help cover up any nub marks as well as kick it up a level but I can't find anything remotely similar to the green it uses. Is it worth painting? What color green should I be using? Should I just top coat it? Thanks a lot for any input. I really love this suit and want it to look as good as I can make it. Any criticism of my Zaku would be welcome too. Thanks a lot guys. Glad to be back in the swing of wasting money.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To make your Kampfer as Amazing as possible, I recommend buying an Amazing Weapon Binder and stack those cannons. Two is good, but four is better! :black101:

I actually do have that since I thought I needed it to go with the Kaempfer for the full effect. Little did I know just how over armed it's going to be.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The Kshatriya actually has most of its colors molded out in plastic, the only thing you have to worry about are the Sleeves markings. And, well, either get really good at applying stickers or break out the paint.

The thing has two shades of green. Unless you're using Mr. Color you'll never get an exact color match, so just pick a shade of green you like and do a 1:3 mixture with white to lighten it.

First off, turn off your camera's flash and move a lamp over. Your camera will straight up take better photos if you have better lighting, and the better your photos the easier it is to comment on your kits.

Anyways from what I can see it's a solid straight build. I see nubs all over the place (mostly because the flash highlights them), some uneven/broken panel lines (gonna guess you used a marker?), and some minor seams, but other then that it looks fine. The guns, though, again it could just be the flash but the paint looks really thick. I'm not really a fan of how you just painted the entire thing silver either, but hey if you like it then it's your call.

All AU designs are pretty small.

I retook some photos in better lighting
http://imgur.com/a/tklgj

I never realized how visible a lot of those nubs are since I just keep these guys on a shelf or desk far enough away to not see it. I've been trying to shave them down better with a hobby knife but I guess I still have a lot of work to do on that front. Also, I did use a felt pen for the panel lining on the model. Never done anything with hiding seam lines before either. What would you reccommend for the guns? I thought the plastic they were in was pretty boring ooking and thought it would help break it up a little.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I'll never understand the clear kits either. They just look so drat goofy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Zeether posted:

In non-kit news, there's gonna be Figmas of the Guardes from Knights of Sidonia (sans the Tsugumori though), so I guess I can hold off on that Kotobukiya kit now: http://www.plastikitty.com/home/summer-wonfest-2014-max-factorys-knights-of-sidonia-figures

(link may be slightly NSFW)

So awesome. I love that series. I hope we get an Izana Figma so I can continue my downward shame spiral.

Speaking of shame spiral...

• Locked thread