Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What grade would be good to start in short of working with painting, stickers, or using a marker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It turns out what I thought was a gundam model but it was just one of those cosmic series of seed destiny action figures. I was thinking building a model would be pretty fun, and I bought a HGUC GM 1/144. It took 6 hours to build it plain but it was alot of tiring fun. Looking forward to practice some more HGs before I start seam hiding, panel lining, decaling, and top coating.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 2, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What cement do you guys recommend using to use on seams to be able to sand them down?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Thanks for the responses. Also on this HG there seems to be some things unpainted such as a the beam saber and gears on the foot. What would be the easiest way to paint these short of using an airbrush?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is it necessary to put on a gloss coat before preforming a panel wash?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I never thought building these and posing them would be so much fun.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Went to a hobby shop to get some tools and maybe a HG. Walk out with tools and 4 HGs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well you could at least tell us which ones :colbert:.

Oh, and GundamGuy has a review up of the Nightingale

HG Forbidden Gundam remaster
HG MS08 Custom Gouf
HG Cherudim Gundam
HG 00 Rasier + GN Sword 3

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Any tips for using plastic cement? Should I be just holding pieces together and go down the seam line or open them alittle and cement in the seam line. Planning on practicing on some cut up runners first before trying actual parts. I also shaved pegs and bored some of the holes inside parts for easy disassembly, do I need to cement those as well?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm not actually giving up. I'm sitting in front of the tv watching Parks and Rec and working on my gundam. I'm just irritates by how loving long I messes with that chest assembly for no reason.

Took me like 4 hours to make 80% of the 0 Raiser HG last night, I don't know how people can build whole HGs in 4 hours.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Cheap high grades for the practiceplastic god.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bimmi posted:

Just a reminder that the risk from sprayed acrylics comes not so much from toxicity as "coating your lungs with plastic-based paint," which can have very unpleasant consequences, so a spray mask is still absolutely called for in most cases.

So you are just trying to say to coat our lungs in future first and then do a swig of thinner in the lungs after painting correct?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just got my order from Gundam Store and More, their membership thingy is pretty nice. Bought a platinum membership and got a ~

hg guntank (gun and a tank whats not to love about this midget)
hg hizack
mg zaku 2
some random sd gundam

then got $60 credit and got ~

mg strike aile rm
mg ground gm

Not to bad of a deal for some random stuff to practice on.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 11, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can still edit your order, swap the Strike Aile Remaster for the HGCE Strike Gundam. It's a newer version that's much better made.

It's the one with a box like this;

Oops, both the last two are mg kits.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kurui Reiten posted:

I have gone from building an entire HG in one night to taking a week on one, just through adding in more vigorous sanding and paneling lining. I'm working on Turn A right now, and I might actually post a final shot of that; I think it looks pretty good. It needs more detailing work, though, before I'm done.

What method are you using to sand? I started with sand paper then went into sanding blocks and sanding sticks. Just switched from wet sanding with sand paper to wet sanding with sanding sticks. Now I check with a fingernail if an area is flush to stop after I sanded down some panel lines on my hg gouf ignited. Its pretty easy to sand off some details on hg kits, I figured when I move on to mg kits this will be harder to do with the bigger pieces.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kurui Reiten posted:

Kinda crappy sanding sticks at 1200 grit that tend to run out faster than I anticipated. Probably switching to paper soon. The thing is, I try to sand down so the nub's level, even if it scuffs the surrounding plastic a little. I figure a flat coat'll make that look better in the end. What's taking more time is actually trying to eliminate the nub, as opposed to my previous goal being to just make it non-obvious. Looking back at my older models made me go "Wow, I was terrible at nubs", and now I wanna get rid of them.

From what I have read is that getting rid of the small white stress marks are pretty much impossible without painting. So my goal is just to get the area of the nub flush with the least about of plastic lost due to nub removal/fixin. I have found starting with a coarse grit sanding to do the bulk of the work and then move up grits to polish out the scratches saves some paper. Wet sanding keeps the plastic dust off the parts and cleans the grit for less clogged problems. I don't know what is the difference from sanding paper to sanding sticks but my sand paper grit dies super fast after 3-4 nubs. While the coarse sanding stick is lasting forever, but I have no clue what grit it is because it only have coarse written on it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 11, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kurui Reiten posted:

I don't know what you're using, but even at 1200 grit I can look at the area I sanded and go "Yep, that was sanded". Like, it looks clearly and noticeably different than unsanded areas. To me, nub removal means "I can't even really tell it was there", and I still haven't reached that point. Sure, I could paint over it; but I have no proper set up for paint anywhere, so, that's not simple.

Nubs would be so much easier if they attached the piece to the sprue via the typical pegs/sockets on the underside of each armor piece. I don't mean undergated, because that's just harder than normal. I mean actually attached to the pegs/sockets that get hidden inside each other. That would probably make packaging a bitch and use more plastic, though.

Still, completely hidden nubs would be so nice.

Are you cleaning up the dust left on from sanding? After a wipe with a wet paper towel with anything higher then 800 grit for me starts to shine again. HG 00 Raiser kit covers pegs and seams insanely well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do you guys mix your colors to match the guide that comes with models? How easy/hard is it to get the colors to match?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kurui Reiten posted:

Everyone is yelling at me for horrible nub management!

Seriously though, I do have lower grades. I'm just saying that I can definitely still tell it's been sanded even after 1200. I wanna buy like twenty cans of matte coat, but my hobby shop sells so little Mr. Top Coat Flat at a time.

Just run your fingernail down where the nub is/was you might be surprised, its gone and you are not looking at the nub but just stress marks which can be hidden with painting.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shinde posted:

Continuing my obsession with old kits: The 1/144 Full Color Model (FCM) Guncannon.

My girlfriend loves the Guncannon, and as my other posts have shown, I like older kits. I found the FCM Guncannon on eBay and she bought it under the condition that I build it. The FCM is essentially a late-1980's re-release of select, late 70's Gunpla in 1/144 scale-- but with the added "bonus" of having everything in correct colors. Anything that needed to be a different color was pre-painted; all you needed to do was glue the kit together and panel-line for a decent-looking kit.

So some pictures:

Front view. All I did was glue and panel-line the kit. As is expected from kits from the 70's/early 80's, glue is required (though paint isn't this time around). Posing the kit also sucks terribly, as the joints have no free movement whatsoever.

Front view. I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted flash on; sorry about that.

The "108" sticker comes from my girlfriend's SD Guncannon; I might replace that with a spare dry-transfer from my MG Guncannon.

Speaking of MG Guncannon...

My next step: Buying the 80's 1/60 Gelgoog.

That is a nice Guncannon. I like almost all the grunt suits, they seem more possible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Midjack posted:

The HG 00 Raiser is always pretty highly regarded.

I just finished a HG 00 Raiser + GN sword 3 last night, pretty great build. Alot of the seams are hidden and it comes with a free base.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ordered a HG Asshimar, cant wait to build the little orange green fucker. Gonna wait for a alittle before ordering a Messala to complete my zeta gundam - non zeta gundam transforming collection while saving Zeta gundam to get a MG version after I practice more. gently caress, I love the grunt suits.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gentlemen, behold.

The world's finest pussy deflector

Don't know how you build so fast, takes me about 4 days with about 2 hours each day for a HG. Sanding, snap fitting, and posing takes up the most time.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 18, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

They're for convenience. The first is if you don't want to paint the eyes at all, the other two are if you only want to paint the eyes/blacks.

How do you guys paint the faces/eyes and such. Is it toothpick and paint land?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gammatron 64 posted:

X gon' give it to ya

That is one sick puppy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The HG flag is so fragile and rigid, why in the world did they make this with no polycaps?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly have no idea either, considering there's just barely enough room that they could've fitted some in the important places like the hips and shoulders. Good luck trying to keep the legs from flopping down in flight mode, by the way.

My problem is if i touch the head at all it explodes because the "ears" are barely holding it all together. It stands pretty with with no arms and the legs seem to lock in place in plane mode.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Muffinlord posted:

Do the other MG Gundam 00 kits have the same runner structure as the 00 Raiser? One of my upper arm pieces is stress fractured like six different ways and pretty much beyond repair. I'm going to try to e-mail Bluefin and see if I can get a replacement runner, but if I can't, I'd like to just get a kit quick and get back to building this thing.

That sucks, mod it to a 00 Raiser repair.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can anyone recommend a display case to protect the gundams from dust and crafty nephews? I've been looking at this http://www.storesupply.com/4-shelf-acrylic-rotating-tower-display-98219.aspx but would like alittle bit bigger but cant find anything else anywhere.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Would there be someway to lock it?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Put some action bases together today, they are some fine pieces of plastic. They are so much better than the ones you get in some kits and make aerial posing a breeze.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Must resist ordering HG Messala, Gaplant, and Fa's yellow fat robot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Is there a way to mount the Raiser on a base of some kind? I was thinking it might look neat to put it next to the MG Build Strike and have the two ship booster backpack things behind them.

Action bases, sturdy and about 10 times better for posing then the small stands you get in kits. There are two kinda one for HGs and another that can hold HGs and MGs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The action bases can also lock together with other action bases to form a bigger base. And you can take one action base arm system and add it to another base so it has two arms to hold two suits. They also come with 4-5 different connectors to hold all types of kits.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bimmi posted:

Another tidbit from the show: non-scale Space Colony by WAVE, release 01/15 @ ¥3600.

That is bad rear end.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how they did the laser gun firing effect for the tie fighters. Is there anything like that for gunpla?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is it better to sand each piece/assembly of pieces or just to snap it all together then sand? I'm reading that people do a HG in under an hour and just don't understand how they could do that. Looking how pieces fit and sanding really eats up the time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After about my first month of gunpla, I did my first sticker last night. After I saw the HG Gouf custom has an movable camera in the head, I just had to do it. I kinda put it on upside down, dropped it, and almost lost it but I was able to place it correctly. It looks so loving sweet just having it on. I need to start getting more practice for when I finally move up into the master grades.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After building a HG Gundam Wing it made me think, why didn't they have it spin around on the torso and shoot some dude behind him in the show? It can turn around completely to go into flight mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pyronic posted:

EXACTLY why I decided to get a few HG kits instead of going right for an MG or Real Grade. Im just worried I'll break something or not be able to do it justice.

Been practicing on HGs with about 6 more to build. Almost ready to be done with 1/144, everything is so tiny and can barely take any handling. HG flag and HG wing tend to just explode when touched. HGs don't have alot of possible poses either, HG Hizack can hold the gun with both hands and that's about it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 12, 2014

• Locked thread