Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zeether posted:

I finished the HG Shining Gundam kit. Only issues with it are the leg flaps are hard to put in their open position for super mode, and the giant Shining Finger hand doesn't seem to fit on the smaller hand (I must be doing something wrong). Good kit, but I may end up splurging on the MG version just so I can transform it to super mode without resorting to taking it apart.

The giant hand has issues staying in place, but i'm not sure if it is weight issues or just not a snug mold. I think the HG Master Gundam has the same problem. Just to warn you as well, even the MG Shining needs you to pull off faceplates to swap between his normal and super mode face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

this has completely sold me on the Age-2 design.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://i.imgur.com/BmQEe.jpg

So this is something i've been working on for a couple days now. It's still got a shitload of touching up to do even after I get it fully assembled (be gentle on me pro airbrushers), but so far i'm pleased with how the "Heaven Gundam" is turning out so far. I'll post pictures later of what I had to do to get Wing Zero's shoulders to go on God Gundam's arms.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://i.imgur.com/xp6L9.jpg

Small update, just with one of his arms attached. It surprises me just how good Wing Zero's shoulder works with God Gundam design-wise.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

My Heaven Gundam is completed(minus that bit of chipped paint that just fell off him :argh:). For my first time painting and modding, i'm pleased with what I have made. Any criticisms and advice are greatly appreciated in case I get crazy enough to start painting and/or modding more kits.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 18, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I did after the fact. Forgot all about them honestly. Thanks for the praise too. :)

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 18, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

This is getting stupid. I know getting RG Zeta was a stretch, but Christ Bandai, stop milking SEED kits.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Seed is the most popular gundam in Japan for some god forsaken reason, they will never stop milking the poo poo out of it. Why you think it got a PSP Vita exclusive game just recently? :eng99:

EDIT: Has anyone tried using painters tape with gundam markers? I only ask because I'm working on SD King J-Der, and there are some red details I want to paint and I have a gundam marker that's the perfect color. I tested it on some spare sprue, and it's very watery and runny compared to some other markers I've used. I figure I can use painters tape, but I'm worried it might leak underneath. Any ideas?

Use the tape and then use a toothpick to press the tape down smooth against the plastic? Might make a better seal so there's less chance of it leaking.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I preordered Samus months ago. Personally I would have wanted a Metroid Prime 2/3-style Varia Suit, but I can't pass up a Metroid figure.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I think i've got enough progress on this to show it off a bit. I still got some work to do to make the battle damage look more genuine, but i'm pleased with my results so far. Any advice/criticism is gladly appreciated. :)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Morgenthau posted:

It looks good, though probably you could try adding a bit more damage to the bullet holes, they look a mite too clean compared to the rest of the damage.

And haha you castrated the poor dude.

I can never make bullet holes look quite right. Thanks for the tip though, maybe i'll try adding some stress cracks around them. As for the castration, I figured I might as well do it since it happened to the Nu Gundam in CCA.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You really need an action base if you want to put Unicorn Gundam in any sort of good pose. I'm amazed he's standing considering neither of his feet are flat to the ground.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

Oh is that what we are talking about now?

Notice its 2 boxes deep and this is only my small pile. I ran out of room in my closet months ago.
I have a problem

Christ. I only have 5 kits in storage. Am I a lovely Gunpla-er?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Easily the most work i've put into a model kit yet. I'm more than satisfied with the results though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Well Manicured Man posted:

My 1/144 HGUC Banshee arrived this morning, so I spent the afternoon putting it together. I was surprised that it didn't take as long to complete as my first model kit, the RG Zaku II Custom, and even more surprised that it seems to be a lot sturdier. With the RG Zaku, I've had a lot of problems that have popped up around the legs and skirt while posing it, and the Banshee is just a lot more solidly put-together. Only problem with the construction is that the elbow joints have a pretty limited angle of free movement.

Also, it came with a bunch of other pieces that look like parts specific to the Unicorn, except molded in Banshee colors, like the beam rifle and shield. Does the HGUC Unicorn come with extra Banshee parts in Unicorn colors?

Building a HG kit is supposed to be faster than building a RG kit. HG kits have no inner frame and don't have the RG's armor details, which means far less parts to assemble. That also means it's less likely parts are gonna go flying off like on RG kits.

And no, HGUC Unicorn doesn't come with banshee parts. Bandai made the Unicorn mold first, then added Banshee-specific parts to the existing Unicorn mold.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Decided to simplify my job this time. Just a straight build with panel lining and some dry-transfers. Very happy with how he turned out though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Silentman0 posted:

Don't forget the holy grail of Weird Titans Bullshit You'll Never Get A Model Of:

Wait, that's a Zeta-era suit? That looks like something out of 00.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Honest Ray posted:

I'm working on my first fully painted model, a Dreissen and I'm at the part I dreaded most... the baroque markings on the chest and sleeves. I need some advice on painting these. Would it be best to buy a gundam marker or what? I don't have any experience in hand painting.

Would probably be easier just to get a Gundam marker if you lack the finesse to hand paint it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

for the first time ever I have no idea what how I want to pose my kit. I really like the 00 quanta's regular look, with the sword bits in the shield, but the ridiculously over sized sword it can have appeals to me.

decisions, decisions.... :ohdear:

Isn't that huge sword a pain in the rear end to make it hold, even with the action base for support? You could just buy the GN Sword IV Full Saber so you can have the sword bits in the shield and he still has a badass sword to hold.

Speaking of 00, I snagged an awesome deal off ebay. 79 dollars shipped for MG 00 Raiser. :)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

I don't think they make the full saber for the mg, do they? As for weight issues if needed I'll just drill a brass rod in the arm for stability. I think it can hold up the sword, but not in its blaster configuration.

Bandai doesn't make it, but that doesn't stop Quanta fans: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BTF-Gundam-M...=item19cb3a7cfd

Yes, it is all molded in proper colored plastic.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zedd posted:

You need a MG Gundam 2.0 mate.

Or the One Year War version, which is superior. :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

404GoonNotFound posted:

Judging by your current selection, are you sure you don't wanna pick up 00 Raiser first?

I also concur with this. 00 Raiser is awesome, its only flaw being that his arm has trouble supporting the weight of the GN Sword III. But that is easily fixed with the super glue trick to thicken up the joint pegs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I officially hate whoever made this:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Popehoist posted:

Lol nice legs. that might as well be a katoki redesign

That's honestly my whole problem with the Katoki version of Wing and Wing Zero. It's like Katoki completely scrapped the tv designs for Wing and Wing Zero and did his own thing, whereas with the other four the redesigns still had a lot of characteristics of their tv look.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Popehoist posted:

Which is good because the original wing zero is hideously poo poo

Looks pretty badass in that above picture.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dre2Dee2 posted:

My D-Arts Vile from the Megaman X line just arrived from Amazon, they got them in stock earlier this week :dance:

You just reminded me that I need to buy a Vile and V2 Zero.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-144-G002-M...=item3379ba9979

For anyone interested: 1/144 Sazabi EVO version.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rakugoon posted:

Would the instructions on this be as easy to follow as official bandai ones? And would it look about as good without painting and stuff?

http://gundamcentral.weebly.com/sazabi.html

The pictures here show some pages from the manual and the model with just panel lining done to it. I've bought Gogo Model's Hi-Nu EVO kit and the manual in that was just as good as Bandai's manuals. The only painting you would have to do is paint the yellow on the black Zeon parts for the chest/arms/knees. The kit also comes with optional parts so you don't even need to use to black parts if you want a properly colored Sazabi.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I got my Figma Samus Aran figure in the mail today. I'm so glad I pre-ordered this when it was first announced, especially since the prices on ebay have soared. It's a great figure. :)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Real Grade Zeta Gundam is coming boys and girls.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 9, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RG Zeta in the flesh.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

Burn everything:

Allenby, those are supposed to go on you, not the Gundam. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Whirblewind posted:

HG Byarlant Mothertrucking Custom. Finally, hell may freeze over.
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2012/08/hguc-1144-byarlant-custom-announced.html
MG Dark Hound.
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2012/08/mg-1100-age-2-dark-hound-announced.html
MG Nu Gundam Ver. Ka.
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2012/08/mg-1100-rx-93-v-gundam-ver-ka.html

It's like Gunpla Christmas.

Also, note the price on the Nu. It's gonna be a big, expensive kit.

Why does the MG Dark Hound look white in that pic?

Also, that Nu Gundam ver. ka is going to sell out ridiculously fast, high price or not.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Phy posted:

What was wrong with the MG Hi-Nu? Aside from being a winged Gundam in the UC, I mean.

Horrible proportions.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

quote:

RG 1/144 Z Gundam (Release Date: Nov 2012, Price: 3000 yen)

The first RG to break the standard price. Maybe that 500 yen went towards a stable transformation?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

A better picture showing off Nu ver. ka's lineart.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

The MG Nu was sorely in need of an update, but why did it have to be this loving thing? Way to take a clean, elegant design and turn it into an overly-kibbled visual trainwreck, guys, wonderful goddamn job.

I like it? :(

It actually reminds me of the Evolve version of the Nu Gundam.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You mean awfully badass beyond words. :D

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Whirblewind posted:

I would love it if the grey were white, I don't think it needed that, but as for the actual panel lines, those I approve of.

Really no idea what's up with the grey, though.

Maybe Katoki likes the RG line and thought he's apply the same thing to his new MG? You can see there's two shades of blue as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

This is so very much unlike Katoki's usual style (I have been following his career for 25 years so don't loving talk to me) that I can only imagine some suit-wearing git was all "very nice but we need more Michael Bay up in this poo poo" and also the muti-hued crap which was very nice on the 1/1 Gundam but is already a cliche and they need to stop already WHERE WAS I oh yeah this design sucks and I really hope they will do a smooth-skinned anime variant based on whatever frame this monstrosity permits.

I can understand if you dislike the color separation, but you're really overreacting on the added armor detail. Do you hate this style altogether or is Nu Gundam your holy grail and anything besides a 2.0-style is unworthy of it?

Then again, i'm also apparently a horrible person for preferring the Gundam OYW over the 2.0 so what do I know about cool Gundam designs?

• Locked thread