Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Might as well remove the Speed Grade listing as that never really became a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There were only ever four Speed Grade kits released, though, and the line's been dead for over three years. No point in keeping it, especially when larger/more relevant lines like HY2MM, EX Model and UC Hard Graph aren't even mentioned. Not the end of the world, though.

edit: also consider adding GG Infinite to the store listing: they have a big selection, get new releases pretty fast, and carry a number of limited/online exclusive items:

http://gginfinite.com

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 17, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There's a 1/60 scale HG Wing Zero that is pretty okay not completely terrible. All the others are basically poop.

Zeether posted:

are there larger Gundam marker sizes for MG kits or bigger? I'd assume so.

There are chisel-tip type GMs that are appropriate for covering larger surfaces. Dunno how wide the color selection is, though.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 17, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
this is what it's all about

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I can pretty much die happy just knowing this exists:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That looks quite a bit better than anything in the actual show.

The detail going into these SEED MGs is quite something. Wish they'd put that sort of effort into the line as a whole.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BizarroAzrael posted:

what will it take to get an OVA version with the green frame?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 1, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Does anyone recognize these renders? Are they from some videogame or did did we just get a preview of Real Grade CCA?

edit: conclusions should not be jumped towards, obviously, but it's very much in the RG style. Maybe that's the new official "look" for everything now?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 9, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

Christ Bandai, stop milking SEED kits.

Why should they? There's obviously a market for them.

edit: can't say I was expecting either of these:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 23, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BizarroAzrael posted:

Word is that HGUC Byarlant Custam and Hamburai are coming this year too.

Unconfirmed as of yet. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That is what we doctors like to call a 'test fit'. Whether we ever get it apart again (much less paint it) is another matter entirely.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Shizuoka Hobby Show opens today. Confirmed new Gunpla thus far:

– MG Buster Gundam
– MG AGE-2
– HGUC Hambrabi
– HG AGE-3 Orbital
– HG Gundam Dark Hound
– HG G-EXES Jack Edge

edit: Bandai looks to be giving a big push to its MS accessories line with hand sets, verniers, effects parts and other things. Interesting, seeing as WAVE and Kotobukiya have owned that market for a good 20+ years.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 17, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
MG Aegis prototype:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The "all-in-one" nature of the AMS Joint system may help make this Zeta a bit tighter than usual, but considering they just now got the simpler RGs to the point where they're not constantly shedding parts this seems like a less than ideal time for it.

e: here's a similar thing they tried six years ago. Yes, this will be interesting.

e2: ZG, the more you think about it, is just SO loving impractical. Still love it though.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 24, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Dr. Wang posted:

I suppose they have to be reasonably confident that it isn't poo poo, right? Or else they wouldn't be releasing it. But then again...

The first MG Zeta was a wobbly pile of parts that should never have shipped. Not saying the RG will be a similar clusterfuck, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Burn everything:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There is no emoticon potent enough to express what I'm feeling right now. My nipples could cut glass.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
We should speak no more of the MG Hi-Nu, it will only end in tears.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The MG Nu was sorely in need of an update, but why did it have to be this loving thing? Way to take a clean, elegant design and turn it into an overly-kibbled visual trainwreck, guys, wonderful goddamn job.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pearl Green will likely be a shiny, iridescent sort of finish, so maybe not exactly what you're looking for.

It is really, really hard to find good spray colors for mecha. You'd be better off investing in a cheap airbrush set and mixing what you need.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Awful beyond words.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
This is so very much unlike Katoki's usual style (I have been following his career for 25 years so don't loving talk to me) that I can only imagine some suit-wearing git was all "very nice but we need more Michael Bay up in this poo poo" and also the muti-hued crap which was very nice on the 1/1 Gundam but is already a cliche and they need to stop already WHERE WAS I oh yeah this design sucks and I really hope they will do a smooth-skinned anime variant based on whatever frame this monstrosity permits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

Then again, i'm also apparently a horrible person for preferring the Gundam OYW over the 2.0 so what do I know about cool Gundam designs?

OYW owns bones. If I could only keep one Gundam, out of all of them, it would be this one.

ed: oh hey look at this old thing:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 25, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
MG Nu is a nice kit by 12-year-old standards, somewhat less so by modern ones. The old Gelgoogs are alright but horrendously outdated. Ez-8 and its variants are all well-thought-out, solid kits.

MGs that I would consider "bad" or otherwise less than desirable:

- Zeta 1.0 (an engineering clusterfuck, can barely stand up)
- Gouf Custom (weirdly put together and not very sturdy)
- Kampfer (ditto, one of the cheapest-feeling kits in the line)
- Hyaku-Shiki (great-looking model as long as you don't expect the limbs to stay attached to the body)
- The-O (poster child for "half-assed effort)
- F91 (incredibly fragile, also hideous)
- GP-02A (structural integrity leaves much to be desired)
- GP-03S (overall poor quality, too may corners cut)
- Sazabi (makes the baby Jesus drink, a complete and utter disaster)

Most of them have been pretty good, though!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sure I win the prize schmuck award here:

This does not even include all the poo poo that's no longer in boxes, or the dozen or so kits I've picked up since this photo was taken.

If someone were to make me a reasonable offer for the whole goddamn thing I wouldn't turn 'em down.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Arquinsiel posted:

If I had space I'd be highly tempted to throw money at you for the Valkyries. Go to a con perhaps?

I've done the con route before. I'd rather saw my own leg off than do it again.

The Valks will be going on eBay (again) eventually, though they never seem to generate any interest.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I miss the days when I had, like, ten kits and felt that was too many.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Fauxtool posted:

have you ever tried to value your collection using current ebay/amazon pricing?

Not in any terribly organized fashion. That closet is much more crowded with poo poo in reality and not a thing I enjoy dealing with very much.

Problem is, a lot of my collection is snapped out or otherwise partially hosed with and thus worth next to no money, while most of the boxed kits are older stuff that no one wants. I've sold most of the desirable bits already.

The sheer number of 90s-vintage BB-Senshi I own could probably rival any backlog here, and I literally can't give those fuckers away. I know because I've tried.

I'm probably stuck with it, but it's my fault for not picking a normal goddamned hobby.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The MG F91 was heartbreaking because they are never, ever going to do another one.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Midjack posted:

As long as I exist you can feel better about yourself. I bought out a couple of people who were moving away and gave me a deal, added to my own substantial holdings I have in excess of 200 kits, most of which are untouched in the box:

Good job, excellent even, but mine's been much worse - over 1,000 when I stopped counting 20 years ago, though there has been some brutal attrition since then and many new units too.

Took up almost 400 square feet of wall space the last time it was intact and organized. A beautiful sight if there ever was one! Most of it is gone now, and good riddance to (most of) that, but I've still got way too much of it crowding my space these days.

Model kits are a highly addictive substance. One can only theorize as to why, but it is truth. I used to get an honest-to-god rush from every new box (or basket full of them) that I opened. Not so much that way anymore thankfully, though I do have a handful of semi-fresh boxes floating around (Aunty Em? Epyon?)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
God drat, Yas looks so old.

(those are just MGs, modified. Gundam is definitely a 2.0)

Captain Invictus posted:

I will again suggest the RX-78 perfect grade kit. It does look like a big toy once built, but damned if it isn't one of the most solid, both in style and durability, that I've ever built.

Actually mine blew over a dozen polycaps before I'd even finished snapping, so individual mileage may vary.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 1, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Anyone dealt recently with Gundam Store & More? They haven't updated their catalog in three months, and my last email to them went unanswered.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

In the year 1986 I was building a good-sized collection of Z Gundam model kits, and also doing a lot of acid.

edit: a HELL of a lot of acid.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 11, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
MG Ingram was pretty well done, but the rubber joint sleeves suck by their very definition and really limit posability. I also recall mine being kind of tricky to build. Good kit overall, though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Silentman0 posted:

Where did they get a Bearguy that big?

only one of the best ever (the rest is up to your imagination)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Number 2 is Zogok (I thought I was the only one who wanted this) and #3 is Dφven-Wolf (finally!). Number 1 is pretty impossible to figure but I really hope it's Turn A.

Also, they've teased HGUC Messala for 2013, holy gently caress.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Silentman0 posted:

Except the Capule, of course.

With this magnificent beast slated for a kit in the near future I wouldn't put anything past 'em.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Oblique Angle posted:

Well, I'm now the proud owner of several nice HG kits and an MG God Gundam that was nearly the same price. Who has built that one? Anything I should know?

Pay close attention when assembling the knees, particularly to the parts numbers. Do it wrong and it will look right, but it sure as hell won't work right.

Nice kit overall, but beware mixing extreme poses and heights; those backpack fins break very easily, and repair very poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I somehow missed the brouhaha over the MG Turn A, but the amount of rage being generated by the HG Rozen-Zulu's less-than-accurate color molding has been nothing short of phenomenal. I have seen the word "debacle" used, along with that old favorite "slap in the face," and the hills are alive with the sounds of crying, crying, and more crying from legions of spoiled infants who are apparently too delicate to buy and use a can of loving spray paint.

Gunpla fans really suck. I have no idea how this thread stays so chill, but I'm grateful for it.

In other news, I've been building the HG AGE-FX. It is basically an early-2000s era MG, only smaller and better. I'm diggin' it so far.

• Locked thread