Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The gradient effect can be created by starting with a colour (light pink or dark reddish pink in this case) and gradually painting up or down the blade, mixing in either lighter or darker colours, depending on the way you started. While you're doing this you have to 'blend' the current layer of paint with the one before it, creating a gradient. It takes a bit of practice, but it looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

U.T. Raptor posted:

:circlefap: An HMM Berserk Fuhrer just became available for preorder, and it looks incredible.

I had one of the original run of those that came out ~9 years or so ago when I was still a kid. It was awesome.

I want one of those Genosaurers. They never got sold here.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You can also get superglue that comes with a built-in brush in the cap rather than just splooging it all over the place.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

TaurusOxford posted:

Finally got this in the mail. Of course, I got royally screwed by customs and they decided to charge me 35 dollars. :argh:

I paid that much just to import Full Armour Unicorn and MG Sinanju from Asia to Australia. Import pricing sucks here, but unless I want to get gouged in relatively rare brick and mortar stores it's my only choice.

Has anyone built a master grade GNX-603T? Any opinions on it?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Went into my hobby shop today, see they have 20% off on all gunpla (because they're pretty much getting rid of them :( ) which follows with me leaving with an MG Blitz Gundam, Age Titus, and I even managed to find a Nobell Gundam.

The Nobell Gundam is freaking microscopic.

I got all that and an action frame for $130, which is pretty good since I live in Australia and if I didn't get gouged at a brick and morter store, I'd be ripped to shreds by shipping costs.

Speaking of shipping, I still need to order that GNX 603...

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 17, 2012

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
On 1999.co.jp, does the little "Restock" tag in the same area as the "sale" tag mean that it is going to be restocked in the future, or is current restock, or what?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, I ordered an HG Seravee GHNW/B and Seraphim off of HLJ (Amazon won't ship Gundam kits to Australia for some reason :argh:).

Go to the page of the thing you want, then on the right hand side of the page there should be a short list of sellers. If you click the "<number of sellers> new" link below that list, you get taken to another list which has a bunch of those items from a bunch of different sellers. This is Seraphim Gundam's list of sellers: link

Now what you want to do here is look for a seller that ships from Japan, who will most likely ship to Australia. Here's the MG Heavyarms sellers list: link

It is a pain in the rear end that Amazon doesn't ship a whole bunch of things here to Australia, but you can still buy them through amazon if you just have a look around their sellers lists. You can also get better prices than you would if you just bought straight from Amazon.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Sinanju Stein and Jesta? gently caress me, I must have a hole in my wallet or something. Hell, I still need to get Marasai and Banshee. Note to self: don't splurge too much on the Steam Autumn Sale :saddowns:...

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy crap, never thought I'd see a rozen zulu as a bandai kit. Awesome looking HG.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I got an Aile Strike RG today and I was pleasantly suprised at the quality of the build, after being a master grade snob for so long (Though I must admit, the Nobell Gundam was a delightful little HG). Only problems I really have with Aile Strike is that his backpack makes him need an action base to keep him standing up if you have it on his back, and that it is almost impossible to get the locator pin on his gun into the hole in his hand it's meant for, but that's because it's that freaking tiny. The wall all the jointed parts come connected on the sprue is a really nice way of doing them too.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
For a no-grade, Astray Gold Frame Amatsu is a goddamn amazing model. Better than quite a few MG kits.

e: Someone said they wanted a HG Full Armour Unicorn. Your wish is granted: http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/hguc-1144-full-armor-unicorn-gundam.html

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 4, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh I know. I'm half-minded to superglue a lot of the kit just so I don't have to worry about things randomly falling off. I've got to imagine the arm joints must have a lot of weight trying to pull them off.

The arm joints aren't that bad, the ankles are worse. It's really the parts that connect the shield structures to the arms that have a tendency to pull off. The arms just sort of slowly return to his sides if you put them at an angle, but his ankles, god. You need to brace him against a wall or something if you don't want him falling over if you can't use the supports for the boosters he has (I don't have them in on mine, lack of space, but even with just the backpack on you need to brace him).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
All the extra stuff on FA Unicorn just slots into holes or clips onto parts that are present on the normal MG Unicorn. You can strip it down and have it just be the basic unicorn unit.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Invictus posted:

I haven't paid attention to Revoltechs in a while, but apparently they're offering multi-packs now.

I ordered one of the Monster Hunter Zinogre revoltechs because I'm a giant videogame nerd and it looks awesome. I've never had a revoltech before, how big are they on average?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Sinanju is a very very good model. Very solid joints, built solid as a rock. He's also pretty goddamn big, taller than Unicorn in destroy mode by a good head or so. Only thing I'd ding it for really are its wrist joints, which are as limp as roast celery. I didn't have much problem with his gold stickers, you just have to be careful putting them on. His shield looks amazing with all the gold trim.

Also there's a rumoured new version of a Sazabi, so you might want to wait and see for it.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 28, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I use a site called ishop2go. It's nothing special, but they're fairly cheap shipping to Australia from HK and they have a pretty good selection of models. The only problem I've had with them was I ordered 2 models (Sinanju MG and FA Unicorn MG, yes, my wallet burst into flames) and it took them a month to get here. Because I ordered them on the 27th of December. :shobon: But otherwise they're great.

I've also bought models I couldn't find in other places off amazon sellers (because amazon themselves don't ship certain arbitrary things to Australia). I generally just pick the seller with the highest approval rating with the largest amount of reviews.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Got 00 Raiser MG yesterday with some birthday money, he's a great kit. He's really stable even with the plane backpack and his giant-rear end sword strapped to his arm, and he looks great. I just wish they gave me 3 LED kits to go in all the spots they can go in (chest and both shoulders). My only problems with the kit were the two big green transparent disks in his legs would not stay in, so I had to glue them in, and his hands are a bit flopsy.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

TaurusOxford posted:

You actually need 5 LEDs for 00 Raiser. The 0 Raiser takes two for the wings.

:stonk: I forgot about those 2. Didn't help I was building the 0 Raiser at like 11:30pm. That's a lot of LEDs.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It's Sinanju Stein. Look at his... well, all his chest parts. And what you can see of his face.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
A pin vice is just a small handheld drill that uses very small drill bits. I doubt a conventional drill would be able to hold a bit small enough to do the drilling unless you had a chuck head on it. Pin Vices are also probably better to use than a conventional drill since you have more control over the drill.

You should be able to get them at any good hobby store, failing that if you have a local Games Workshop I'm pretty sure they sell pin vices. Not to mention amazon.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
MG Kshatriya :getin:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Ah, I see you've already put him in his final pose :v:

But seriously his arms will just sink back to that position with all the crap on them. Also, don't extend his ankle psychoframe if you're intending on his legs supporting his weight.

e:V Nope! :v:

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 18, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I've had obscenely good luck with not cutting myself with my hobby knife. It helps to have a cover you can put on the knife when you're not actively usig it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Sazabi ver ka? HELLS YES. It's probably definately going to be expensive as hell though.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

TaurusOxford posted:

Jesus, are they literally just using Nu ver ka's hands for 3.0 Gundam? That looks REALLY bad.

I expected that, since Nu ver ka's hands were made with RG tech, and RX-78 ver 3 is essentially a 1:100 RG. Though, it doesn't look like his hands have all the joints in his fingers that Nu has.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Now imagine if Katoki had designed it :v:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently the official price is 9000 yen: http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2012/08/master-grade-100-sazabi-ver-ka-announced.html?m=1

Bimmi posted:

The original MG Sazabi didn't really have enough parts at 8000 yen to do the thing justice, so I've pretty much lost hope that the ver.Ka won't be another cheap-suit, half-assed effort.

Have you built any modern Ver Kas? Asides from suffering from proportionally long leg syndrome, they are amazing kits with generally high part count. Hell the build quality on most modern bandai kits is goddamn amazing compared to the models of 2000, which the net is telling me is when sazabi was released. Around 2003 is when the models began to approach a better level of quality.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
drat, my place adds a good 10-15-20% to what I can get online. If I find a website that has a sale on quite often I can get 2 models (MG, mind) shipped for less than one in-store.

Its' website also is straight out of the early 2000s, at least in search capability.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I will pay whatever the hell that want for that build fighter red frame. Also now I have a reason to finally get a Turn A.

muike posted:

e: Also MG Kshatriya in the wings? I didn't think they would bother.

I would also pay all my money for a MG bandai Kshatriya (after the dissapointing stories I heard about the 3rd party mob that did the 1/100 kshatriya earlier this year).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Here's a picture of MG Phenix:

:pcgaming:

(click pic for Gundam Guy article)

e:V I am also an idiot with too much money who likes shiny stuff. It'd look amazing though.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 21, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I always forget about nubs on metallic coated models :( I would try and touch it up with paint but I can never find a way to get the paint as shiny as the metallic coating. Gloss coat, nada. Glossy gold paint of various brands, nope.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
No I didn't, and I'm an idiot for not having thought of candy coating it before, thanks. :v:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I love my vallejo paints.

Just wish I didn't have to replace the metallics after forgetting I have them for a year or two... though that's more my fault than the paints' :v:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
HLJ has a black friday sale going currently on everything except books and magazines. All Gunpla seems to be 27% off, including PGs.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That is a paint colour guide, not a marker guide.

And for the translation, check here for all your paint guide translation needs.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The tamiya thin cements' brush is about 1mm wide and made of (some fibre) that flicks back to its original shape quite well. It's quite accurate. Better than a nozzle style applicator, anyway.

A single bottle will also last you years.

BlitzBlast posted:

I hope you like shipping fees. :unsmigghh:

I live to pay shipping fees. Gunpla models that come afterwards are just a bonus :smith:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
First rule of fixing broken joints with glue (without a pin) in models:

Do not gently caress with it for 24 hours.

Second rule of fixing broken joints in models:

Do not gently caress with it for 24 hours.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Really you're just leaving it alone long enough to make sure the glue has utterly and completely set before even attempting to do anything with it. Saves on stress trying to re-glue the fucker time after time.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

:stare:

I have a sinanju and asides from Nu ver ka, it's far and away the most bulky gunpla I have. It's a head above Unicorn MG in destroy mode. And it's very solidy built. But gently caress. Sazabi dwarfs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I have FA unicorn; without all his junk he's the same as any other unicorn. Sinanju is more solid (and frankly, far less fragile) than FA Unicorn even with all his weapons, awesome they may be.

And I would dearly like a THE-O, if only they weren't around 140 bucks on average. Plus shipping.

• Locked thread