Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I guess now that there's a new thread I'll drop in.

Back around January I got the RG 1/144 Zaku II Custom as my first model kit, even though I knew it would be complicated. Surprisingly, the construction went pretty smoothly, even though all I was using was an x-acto knife and there are nubs everywhere... I only managed to lose two tiny little pieces for the chest/torso area. The worst part was applying the stickers, I have little patience for stickers so I just said "gently caress it" and kept them off. I'll refrain from posting pictures of it so that the more seasoned builders won't vomit in disgust at the poor guy, but I like him. He makes for a great companion on my desk :)

Anyway building the RG Zaku II was really fun, so I think I'll keep building models. The difficulty of actually building the RG models doesn't feel like much of an obstacle for me, but I'd rather not purchase ones that come with huge reams of stickers since I can't stand stickers, and it seems like the HG line doesn't use tons of decals. Revoltech models don't really interest me because most of the fun of the RG Zaku came from actually having to assemble the thing and being able to stand back and say "Yes. I made that with my own two hands.", which is a shame because the Revoltech Wing Zero looks amazing. Are there any other good models of Wing Zero out there? I'm thinking of picking up either something from Wing, a Hyaku Shiki, or a Qubeley for my second build, since those are some of my favorite mobile suits.

I also hear that the 1/144 NT-D mode RX-0 is a fun build. Can anyone verify that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My 1/144 HGUC Banshee arrived this morning, so I spent the afternoon putting it together. I was surprised that it didn't take as long to complete as my first model kit, the RG Zaku II Custom, and even more surprised that it seems to be a lot sturdier. With the RG Zaku, I've had a lot of problems that have popped up around the legs and skirt while posing it, and the Banshee is just a lot more solidly put-together. Only problem with the construction is that the elbow joints have a pretty limited angle of free movement.

Also, it came with a bunch of other pieces that look like parts specific to the Unicorn, except molded in Banshee colors, like the beam rifle and shield. Does the HGUC Unicorn come with extra Banshee parts in Unicorn colors?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Morgenthau posted:

All they need now is the Byarlant and Baund doc to finish off the wierd Titans mech collection.

Isn't there at least going to be the Byarlant Custom from Unicron? I thought there'd been a limited edition run that was sold out not too long ago.

Also, I just rewatched that episode of Zeta last night. The Baund Doc has got to be up there in the top 5 silliest-looking UC mobile suits ever.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Silentman0 posted:

Don't forget the holy grail of Weird Titans Bullshit You'll Never Get A Model Of:

That is, uh, one well-endowed mobile suit :stare:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Just built the HGUC Nu Gundam Heavy Weapons variant, and it's quite possibly the most fun I've ever had building and posing a Gundam model kit. The Nu Gundam is cool as hell and its white/black/yellow color scheme reminds me so much of a space shuttle that I think of the "good old days" of growing up with NASA and space shuttles in the 90s every time I look at it. This guy's never leaving my sight.

Edit: The one thing I don't like are the hands. There are three right hands (one that can hold the beam rifle/beam bazooka/rocket launcher, one that can hold the beam saber, and one clenched fist that can't hold anything) but only two left hands (one clenched fist that can't hold anything and one open palm that can't hold anything), which means he can't dual-wield anything without looking really silly. It's the only disappointing thing about this model kit.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 14, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Reiterpallasch posted:

So I just started building my first kit (I helped a friend put together a HG ReZel a while ago) and I had the misfortune to choose the HGUC Qubeley. It's one of my favorite suits but holy poo poo the little red vent stickers went everywhere and stuck to everything except where they were supposed to go.

Anyway, I'll probably build at least one more HG kit before trying anything fancier/more expensive involving paint or higher grades. Anyone have experience with the HGUC Nu HWS? It looks pretty rad.

What a coincidence, that was the last kit I bought! One of the coolest things about it is that it comes with the regular Nu Gundam's skirt and leg armor as extra pieces, so you can swap them out if you want (although you can't do anything about the extra chest armor). It's almost like getting two Gundams for the price of one. Building the funnels got a bit confusing but aside from that it was a pretty straightforward kit to build. At least, it's probably not any more complicated than building the regular HGUC Nu Gundam.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
And this happens just after I buy myself the HG Zeta.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I got the HG Hi-Nu Gundam for Christmas, and I know it's gotten some flack for being a UC Gundam with wings, but I don't care. It's beautiful to me, and probably one of my favorite Gundams now. Building it and seeing it from every angle really helped me appreciate it more. I even put all the sticker decals on it, and with most of the kits I build I usually just stick with the eyes.

I might want to branch out and do some non-UC HG kits. I'm thinking something from 00 since that's my favorite non-UC timeline (besides Turn-A), but some of SEED's mobile suit designs are pretty interesting. Are there any good SEED HG kits? At all? I've heard that the HG SEED kits can be pretty abysmal, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the headaches of an RG kit again.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ACanofPepsi posted:

I've picked up really awesome looking models before that I would have loved to build, only to put them back on the shelf when I see it transforms into a jet or something. I haven't been into the hobby for long, but one thing I've learned is that there are no good transforming kits. They all sacrifice structural integrity or the model builders sanity to transform and it puts me off buying one.

This is pure speculation, but do HG transforming kits fare better than MG or bigger transforming kits because they have fewer parts?

If the HG Zeta kit is anything to go by, transformable HG kits are usually partsformers (you have to swap out pieces to transform it, rather than the whole thing folding in on itself like it does in the show), so they're relatively stable in both forms.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My first model kit ever (not my first Gundam model kit, my first model kit, period) was the RG Zaku II Char Custom and as cool as it looks and as fun as it was to build it's so finicky and parts fall off so easily (especially the skirt and the mouthpiece, which I've come dangerously close to losing several times) that it makes me leery to invest in another RG. But, if a SEED mobile suit catches my eye enough a RG would probably be the only option, considering what I've heard about the HG models.

I'm debating between my next kit being either the HG Reborn's Gundam from 00, the HG Byarlant Custom, or the HG AGE-2 Dark Hound. Anyone have any experience with these kits? The AGE-2 was the only mobile suit from Gundam AGE I really liked, and I'd love to have a 1/144 scale pirate robot to go with my other models (I'd love a Crossbone Gundam model, but I don't think there are any 1/144 scale kits of it). I like the design of Reborn's Gundam and its transformation, even if it is only "it turns around and its front head tucks in and its back head pops out", and the Byarlant has such a unique profile that I almost immediately fell in love with it.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BlitzBlast posted:

The Seven Swords 00 XN Raiser is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Nah, I still think it needs more knives.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
What's that transparent thing attached to the left shoulder? Is that a beam cape?

VVVVVV

God drat, I think I have to stop putting off Build Fighters now.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 4, 2014

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Over Christmas, I bought the new HG Wing and Double X Gundams, and you know, the one thing I'm really digging about this new All Gundams thing is that they're making the parts so standardized, especially the joints, that you can swap parts and make your own (admittedly pretty simple) kitbashes so easily. I've experimented with swapping the Double X's waist and torso with the Wing's and the result turned out pretty neat--and the Wing Gundam's wings attached to the back of the Double X's torso a lot easier than I expected (although not so much the other way around, I guess the pegs connecting the Double X's lunar panels and satellite cannons to its torso are just different enough in size that it doesn't stay on the Wing Gundam's torso very well), and it still turns into Bird Mode pretty well.

I've also gotten the RG Freedom Gundam. I was a little worried since my first kit I ever built was the RG Zaku Custom and it's proven itself pretty fragile and a little hard to pose, but the Freedom was surprisingly stable and can pull off a wider range of motion than I was used to:

Right now I've got it in a sort of kung fu stance with one leg raised completely off the ground, which is something I could never picture my RG Zaku doing without an action base... although the Freedom's big ol' wings help it balance easier by acting like two legs of a tripod sort of thing.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
drat, that's awesome. You're making me wish that was an actual kit! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My HG F91 Gundam arrived today, and it's only now that I've built it and put it up next to all my other kits that I realize just how tiny the mobile suits from Victory onward are. I mean, I knew they were smaller than their predecessors but it's kinda sad just seeing it in a side-by-side comparison. He really is the runt of the litter, I should buy the V2 so the F91 can have a tiny friend :unsmith:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
So I just tried kitbashing for the first time. I found out the polycaps connecting the 00's GN drives to its shoulders were the same as the ones connecting Reborns Gundam's shoulders to its arms, so I figured I could either turn 00 into a four-armed General Grievous-esque monstrosity or give it a nice pair of engine-wings by adding on some of the Hi-Nu's funnels. Now it looks like this:

I'm really pleased with the results. The wings can swivel around a lot since they have the 00's back/shoulder armature and all the mobility from Reborns' arms, so they point in pretty much any direction, and even swing under the shoulder F91-style. It's also combined the stupidity of having shoulder-mounted super secret high-tech engines with the stupidity of having elbow-mounted super secret high-tech engines, resulting in the ultimate in silly engine placement :shepsmug: I'd like to keep this guy around, partly because having a neato custom Gunpla makes me feel like a Build Fighters protagonist, but it makes me feel guilty having a bunch of kits too pillaged for parts to be displayed (Poor Wing Gundam is missing a head, and the less said of Reborns, the better).

I've also though of painting it, probably not something too drastic (just changing the creamy-yellow of Reborns Gundam to a more primary yellow, and that's only about six parts--and maybe coloring the funnels to match the torso). Is it feasible? I figure I'd just have to do some deconstruction, separate the pieces I'd like to paint, paint them, and then put them back together afterward? I'm definitely considering panel lining too, which I should probably start doing to all my models anyway.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

I actually really dig how this looks. Especially if you painted the Ball to match the Neo Zeong (or vice versa), I could see it as some sort of souped-up "Full Armor" grunt suit.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Yes, but will we be able to kitbash them with our Gundam models?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

DamnGlitch posted:

Yo so I've heard about this gundam Phenex unicorn thing here several times and, having seen the last episode of Unicorn only kinda shtifaced, where is that from? I don't recall it and having read this thread I kept going "soooo when is that other one gonna show up?"

That commentator uses sharp cutty things for a hobby and I think this reply is evidence that should not be allowed.

Phenex is just a special promotional thing or something, AFAIK it appeared in a special animated short that was shown for the 35th anniversary, but not in any episode of Unicorn.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
That's pretty spiffy box art there. But what word is "conaoennal" supposed to be?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

The Muffinlord posted:

It looks like someone tried to make a bishounen version of the ZZ to put into a girls' manga. Like it's gonna have a weird vaguely sexual relationship with another mobile suit.

Slap on some parts from the PG ZZ Gundam and it can have yaoi hands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The HG 00's articulation is amazing, so much so that whenever I build any other post-00 HG kit I just get mad that they couldn't design them to be just as poseable. You figured it out once before! From the looks of it, though, the Build Burning Gundam is the 00's spiritual successor in the poseability department.

• Locked thread