Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So... um... yeah. I made a thing but painted it different because... stuff. The high-res images I found on the con's website make me regret entering the painting competition with it. It doesn't help that they posed it all :downs: when taking pictures either.

Anyway:

First time in ages that I've painted something big, and the techniques that work with smaller stuff don't quite hold true at that scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is what I built for the pics in the OP. It was a fun kit, but it's way simpler than the stuff I normally build. There's usually some old Macross stuff available on Ebay pretty cheap though, and Hasegawa still make lots of 1/72 scale kits.

ETA: all the weird textures on the torso are a result of me brush-painting large sections where things went wrong. They're not part of the kit and not really noticable at non super-huge image sizes.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 27, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can get large resin ones somewhere, and there are a few decently sized metal models available from RPUK.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kitfox88 posted:

You might also look into Titan models from Warhammer 40k, perhaps. I'm not sure how many out there require assembly/painting/etc but I'm certain there's at least a few high quality ones like that.
All of them. They also tend to make Gunpla look cheap.

ETA: heck, they also also make even the shittiest Gunpla look easy to build. I doublt there are any Gunpla that you have to wash, then seal THEN start filling moulding bubbles with before you even think about starting to paint, and the shatter-effect if a bit falls.... oh dear.

Bimmi posted:

Pretty sure I win the prize schmuck award here:

This does not even include all the poo poo that's no longer in boxes, or the dozen or so kits I've picked up since this photo was taken.

If someone were to make me a reasonable offer for the whole goddamn thing I wouldn't turn 'em down.
If I had space I'd be highly tempted to throw money at you for the Valkyries. Go to a con perhaps?

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 27, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't see why he can't. Hell, i'd buy some if it meant I could avoid those retards on ebay who charge more for shipping than the actual model.
This is literally the worst thing about so many hobbies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had a similar problem with a tank I was painting a few months back. Every time I sprayed Tamiya Olive Green it would go yellow clustered around the salt weathering patches. Was a loving nightmare to fix, even when I sprayed matt varnish over the salt it still wouldn't stay green and if I tried putting it on with a brush it just sort of dried instantly and flaked off.

Nightmare :smithicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, the Messiah is suffering from being a CGI Valkyrie, so it has the same problem Michael Bay's Transformers do with being insanely complex. Can't wait to see what you do with it though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Oh Snapalope posted:

This looks pretty cool but it's a pretty disappointing kit. There is absolutely no way of making it stand in walker mode without a base and there is no articulation in the joints at all. However the transformation is really smooth for a transformable kit unlike the Zeta.
The Macross kits seem to do one mode really well and leave the posing up to the dedicated toy lines really. I can't imagine any of the plastic kits I have standing up to the half-assed hamfisting my Revoltechs get when I try convert from one mode to another.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xy Hapu posted:

MG Turn A using a Sakura Micron 02. Just had to fill in the lines and give it one or two wipes with rubbing alcohol, minimal touching up (sometimes just straight penning, as with the side skirt):

Pictures are roughly to scale.
A friend of mine used to do this kind of effect on his Eldar vehicles for Warhammer 40k by getting GW's black ink at the time (one of the washes now I guess) and applying it with an appropriately sized calligraphy pen nib. Might be worth trying on gunpla, but I dunno if it'd stick to bare plastic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ActionZero posted:

Oh god reading that made me shrink into a cringing mess.
To be fair, I've taken to doing that a lot of late with really delicate parts (on 1/72 tanks and the like), because for some reason they break easy when I use a blade or cutters but my thumbnail sloooowly seperates them fine.

:iiam:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ACanofPepsi posted:

I fixed a pretty bad screw up myself using the Non-Toxic Testors Blue tube cement to create plastic goop for filler. I put some onto a cardboard surface, cut a stick of sprue off to dip in the cement (get the end of the sprue stick covered good), and let it sit for 20 minutes while until the plastic at the end of the sprue stick melts. Now you've basically got liquid plastic in the same color as the small piece you've wrecked, and since it's on the stick you can use it as an applicator.
This is genius. I rarely don't paint a thing, but it's still the kind of stuff I could see working on parts I lose etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd probably just use Humbrol since it's what I have handy, but I suspect any polystyrene cement should do the job reasonably well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH I'd go with minimal superglue on the rod so it doesn't overflow onto the surface, achieved by pushing the rod into the bottle, inserting into one side of the hole and then repeating when dry on the other side when attaching that part, and then using poly cement to melt the plastic around the rod so it forms a stronger bond. It'd be easy enough to ensure alignment is right with some dry-erase markers or whatever before inserting the pin.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I get the feeling I should get one regardless, and I have multiple hobby shops, a Games Workshop, and other such places around here. I shouldn't have much trouble finding one, though advice on getting a good one would be nice. Also, when you say tiny drills, do they require power? I know, these are probably simple, idiot questions, but still. Thanks goons.
GW do a decent one, but it's a bit pricey.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By the looks of it, the thing will have to hold up to torsion stress too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I might try that next time I start cutting stuff. I've managed to end up needing a trip to hospital after slipping before.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dull blades have a tendency to cut more often than sharp ones since you need more force to get through stuff. Oddly enough, the time I ended up in hospital I was cutting away from myself and using a brand new blade. It just sort of did a weird spiral in the metal of the mini I was cutting up and ended up coming straight back at me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mr. stefan posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a gold plastic figure, toy, or kit that didnt look like complete rear end out of the box. Something about that color just does not work with injected plastic.
Could be worse, Transformers fans have Gold Plastic Syndrome to deal with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Invictus posted:

It's okay. Randy, in fact, sucks.
Still man, no 'bot deserves to go out like that :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Daylight bulbs or bust.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
WTF? Is that a stencil or are is it an empty sheet of decals?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having googled it I'd be inclined to say "gently caress it" and paint it by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So this has been floating around my facebook feed today.

• Locked thread