Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
:siren: This OP isn't updated. I will happily do so with a quick PM!

Welcome to the cosplay creation thread! Where we make stuff that we wear and then take pictures and then share them :3:

First up (and most importantly in my opinion), :pcgaming: COUPONS!

Jo-Ann's Android:

Jo-Ann's iPhone:

Michaels Android:

Michaels iPhone:

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Hey, Red Robin Hood! I mentioned it a long time ago but don't see it in the OP, so can you add JoAnn's Fashion Fusion magazine? It's $3.99 and has six 40-50% off coupons on the back. Ask for it at checkout/customer service. It comes out twice a year (spring, fall) and the coupons are good for six months at a time.

Use them and use them well!

Tutorial stuff:

Sewing Thread!

Some pretty useful Youtube videos

Goon-run cosplay stuff?

plastics / metals / composites cut to size
I'm not sure how useful this will be for cosplay, but I've used http://www.onlinemetals.com/ for some of my own projects in the past.

:siren:Below is the original OP:siren:
I wanted to share some of my in-progress build shots of my Stormtrooper armor but I couldn't find an appropriate "cosplayers" thread. So I made one!

I've had this set for coming up on a year now but since I spent so much money to buy it I was a little scared when it came down to actually BUILDING it. So I sat on it. Until now! My girlfriend and I ran into some other Star Wars enthusiasts that knew how to get a hold of people who in turn knew how to build this stuff! I'll be finishing it within the next week or so in time for Emerald City Comic Con.

I would like to avoid this turning into a post your favorite cosplay pictures thread, so if you're looking for that please: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3025385&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Helmet on test

Helmet front, no ears yet

Inside still no ears

Here with the ears and mic tips installed

And one more of the inside of the helmet with padding and ears installed

I'm excited to see what everyone else is working on!

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I didn't know we had a thread for this! I'm working on Hilde von Krone from Soul Calibur IV for GenCon. So far I have successfully screen printed the banner, made the sword blade base, and cut out the wood spear tips.

Very proud of the banner, it took me a verrrrry long time to print both sides. It's about 26 inches long and had to be printed in 2 pieces, which sucked.

The sword doesn't look like much yet but I'm hoping to get the hilt started this weekend once I'm done with my term papers. It's made of masonite and bondo with a threaded steel rod core.

I'm still trying to figure out how to tackle the armor. It seems like vacuum forming is the best way to go about it, but I'm having trouble finding somewhere that will do small orders in my area (Madison, WI.) Any ideas?

Your helmet looks great, incidentally. How did you make it?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I had given up hope on this thread!

What you've got done so far is looking really great! Vacuum forming might sound like a good idea but unless you're willing to make/pay for molds I'm not sure you're going to be able to go that direction. You might look into other methods that you can do yourself.

This whole A New Hope set is a kit I bought. It's available for $495 shipped but requires A LOT of assembling. I've got about 45 hours into it so far and about 5 or so left! More pictures...

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
The base of that sword is looking pretty sweet, and so is the helmet!

As for some progress of my own I am working on Sylvanas Windrunner. I am getting down to the end of the line just need to cast some gems and finish up the armor edging. But here are some of the pieces in progress.

Shoes

Gloves

Shoulders

Bow

In case anyone is curious I used a variety of foams. From expanding spray foam to craft foam. Anywho that is what I have for the most part I need to trim out a few more pieces but once it's all together and painted it's all about aging. I'm trying to have it ready for Akon.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Those fingers look totally rad. Are they going to be painted?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

I had given up hope on this thread!

What you've got done so far is looking really great! Vacuum forming might sound like a good idea but unless you're willing to make/pay for molds I'm not sure you're going to be able to go that direction. You might look into other methods that you can do yourself.

No way, I love cosplay and my season ramps up hardcore in the summer! This is my 3rd year taking on a way overly ambitious project, I can't wait. My group, besides me as Hilde, is going to be Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Astaroth, Ashlotte, and a possible Raphael so at least I'll have friends in suffering.

I'm planning on making forms of my torso, arms, and legs with water-activated packing tape and spray foam to make molds already since building fitted armor onto yourself is really hard (as I learned last year with my Warhammer 40k armor). It seems like using sheet plastic would be more durable and better-looking than my last year's method (wonderflex + bondo :gonk: ) and I'm willing to pay for the actual forming, or else I'll buy an oven vacuum table I guess. Not sure yet.

I kicked out a (highly approximate) $500 on my costume last year (happier not knowing) and I've saved up all year for this armor suit so I'll do what it takes! My group very fortunately tied for best in show at GenCon last year so we have to compete as pros this year and I really want to have a better outfit than I did for that. Also pretty excited, we finally have a real photoshoot scheduled for this Saturday for our 40k costumes.

So I've never worked with a kit, how does it work? Like what do you get and what assembly do you do? It looks freaking awesome and totally worth the money to me, I just have no visualization of what you receive!

Veila, that costume looks awesome! Your gloves particularly look freaking badass. I also really like the color scheme, I feel like I've ended up in red/black/gold on accident for a few years, boring. Those shoulder pads are going to be epic. Have you looked at Kamui Cosplay? It seems like Svetlana uses a lot of the same techniques that you've used here.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Well you definitely have a lot more skill than I do. Seriously. Working from a kit is so much easier! This stuff is Vacuum Formed from molds that are re-casts of re-casts of the original molds e: sorry, not from original MOLDS... original armor from Star Wars A New Hope. It is in the upper-tier of film-accuracy (AKA it looks like poo poo, uneven, wonky in places). Here are some photos of what I received:

The helmet comes in two pieces and includes the lens plastic and neck/forehead trim but requires a lot of cutting and fitting

These are both arms, hands, and shoulder connectors. You can see where they need to be trimmed but there is more to it than just trimming and gluing ;)

Legs and leg ammo spot. These are similar to the arms. The shins will be glued in the front but left "open" (closed with black velcro) for screen-accuracy!

The big pieces! (I screwed these up on my build and will have to order new ones when I get the cash)

All in all it will take 50+ hours and just about $1000. I can't wait! I WILL be finished tomorrow and I'll definitely post more pictures when I take them :)

Do you have pictures of your 40k costume? What did you do? Sisters?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
You guys have really ambitious-looking costumes.. Mine are all whatever I can sew, knit, or do jewelry for. I haven't cosplayed in a couple of years, and it's been even longer since I've made anything, but I'm considering making a female archbishop from Ragnarok Online this year for Fanime:

I made a high priest costume about six years ago, which has seen a few conventions, and a larp out in the woods that I was dragged to once. It's pretty much the only costume I've ever made that I'm still proud of, so I'd like to expand my wardrobe a bit.

One of my favorite aspects of cosplaying a MMO character is that you can take a lot of artistic license with it, like leaving the obnoxiously puffy sleeves off your dress if you don't feel like sewing them, and wearing whatever hairstyle you prefer. The dress doesn't even have to be the same color, since most servers allow you to change your costume colors. I'm thinking of making my archbishop navy blue, since it would suit my skintone better. For hair.. anything other than blond, because it looks terrible on me. :shobon:

Not sure how I'm going to do the props yet. Fortunately, priest classes can carry several different weapon types, so I'm not stuck with making a wand. Probably going to get some thick cardstock and make a huge fuckoff book instead, which would double as a purse if I left it hollow. I borrowed a book like that from a friend a few years ago and it was a pretty nice prop to have. I'm also working on a knit beret, and I'd like to have some devil horns under it if I have time to make them. Budget is about $150, which I think I can do if I shop only the sales at fabric stores and use some of the materials I already have on hand. Hopefully I'll have time to get everything done, since the convention is in two months!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

Well you definitely have a lot more skill than I do. Seriously. Working from a kit is so much easier! This stuff is Vacuum Formed from molds that are re-casts of re-casts of the original molds e: sorry, not from original MOLDS... original armor from Star Wars A New Hope. It is in the upper-tier of film-accuracy (AKA it looks like poo poo, uneven, wonky in places). Here are some photos of what I received:
Do you have pictures of your 40k costume? What did you do? Sisters?

That's crazy. I heard there was a ton of lawsuits surrounding the storm trooper armor, it's really awesome that you can get pulls of the original armor!

Here are my 2 previous big projects:
2010 was Big Daddy from Bioshock, which took 2nd in the games category at GenCon

I co-built it with my friend (you can see him waving my splicer hooks around in the second picture up there). Our other friend did her own little sister costume and won a hardcore sewing machine for it!

2011, my 40k group!

I'm the classic white-haired Sister, the Terminator and Sister Repentia are the same 2 people from above there, and the Inquisitor is my boyfriend. :shobon: I screen printed our battle standard for the group. I'm really excited to get actual high-quality pictures of the group since obviously the ones we have are pretty much just in the hotel!

I'm more than happy to explain any aspect of any of these builds. I saw/helped my friends build their costumes too so I at least know how it was all done and whether or not it was a good way to go about it.

Mizufusion, you should totally do the archbishop! The sprites are by far my favorite of the 3rd tier classes. I used to play a lot of RO, I did a high priestess costume roughly 100000 years ago (although your dress is way more detailed than mine). I totally just brought a gigantic bible from Goodwill to carry around. I also liked the fact that I could pretty easily make a bunch of different head accessories to swap, I did craft foam angel and demon wing bands, heart pin, and a few other quick ones.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 22, 2012

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Mizufusion - I have done a ton of sew only stuff I just decided recently to branch out into other stuff besides props. I know the value of a good deal in fact there is a joann's app that is loaded with coupons and is probably my most used app on my phone.

McPantserton - Thanks a lot. I actually do drool over Kamui's page a lot she started with her tutorials on Alexstraza after I started Sylvanas. Mostly I keep letting other smaller costumes overrun me. I also do a lot of teaching for other less experienced cosplayers in the area, and often end up with to much on my plate. But I am determined to finish her. I'm even redoing the gems I have resin cast so far so that I can drop in LED's via the method Kamui just put up on youtube. But yea as far as the puffy armor method great stuff is just to cool to pass up, you can easily coat it to be super durable, and it's so light weight I think all the armor itself is only about an extra 15 maybe 20 lbs, and the bow is only around 7 or 8lbs. It's really Great Stuff. Also you mam' have fancy pants. Those outfits are rad! I don't play 40k but I do play Warmachine and have thought about making some of those. The more I see of awesome outfits the more I want to.

Red Robin Hood - The fingers are painted already and the extra detailing is on them I just don't have any current photos. After I unpack from Allcon I will take some more so you can see the armor after detailing and rub and buff.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 22, 2012

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

No way, I love cosplay and my season ramps up hardcore in the summer! This is my 3rd year taking on a way overly ambitious project, I can't wait. My group, besides me as Hilde, is going to be Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Astaroth, Ashlotte, and a possible Raphael so at least I'll have friends in suffering.

You bitch. Where is this Soul Calibur group going to be/Which version of SC? (Edit: just saw it's SC IV.)

I have never posted about this nerdy loving hobby of mine on SA before, christ, but I'll be making SC V's Yoshimitsu's 1P and 2P for me and my brother for Otakon this summer, even though I'm loving insane and am massively overreaching once AGAIN. I can't help it, I fell in love with the skull head/buddha hat and kabuki masks :(

Here are some pictures for reference so you can see how stupid I am:

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 22, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

You bitch. Where is this Soul Calibur group going to be/Which version of SC? (Edit: just saw it's SC IV.)

I have never posted about this nerdy loving hobby of mine on SA before, christ, but I'll be making SC V's Yoshimitsu's 1P and 2P for me and my brother for Otakon this summer, even though I'm loving insane and am massively overreaching once AGAIN. I can't help it, I fell in love with the skull head/buddha hat and kabuki masks :(

Ha, we're doing the SCIV 2P Yoshimitsu so we could theoretically do a pretty spectacular photoshoot!

We're going to be debuting the group at GenCon in Indianapolis, plus we usually take our yearly outfits to Anime Central. Massively overreaching is the only way to go about it, IMO! And we're nearly all SCIV, our only SCV guy is going to be big green Astaroth, which should be interesting.

Check out the art I've done so far for Yoshimitsu's banner, skirt, and belt:

My work just got a vinyl cutter so I should be able to cut all of it out automatically from metallic heat press foil. :woop: We're thinking of using a white-on-white asian-style brocade for most of the costume and probably something similar in red for the back banner so it'll have a bit more texture and depth to it.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

Ha, we're doing the SCIV 2P Yoshimitsu so we could theoretically do a pretty spectacular photoshoot!

We're going to be debuting the group at GenCon in Indianapolis, plus we usually take our yearly outfits to Anime Central. Massively overreaching is the only way to go about it, IMO! And we're nearly all SCIV, our only SCV guy is going to be big green Astaroth, which should be interesting.

Check out the art I've done so far for Yoshimitsu's banner, skirt, and belt:

My work just got a vinyl cutter so I should be able to cut all of it out automatically from metallic heat press foil. :woop: We're thinking of using a white-on-white asian-style brocade for most of the costume and probably something similar in red for the back banner so it'll have a bit more texture and depth to it.

drat, Indianapolis is pretty far :( Those banners are gorgeous. Pretty sure I'm just going to stretch canvas on a rack/wall and project the designs onto the fabric, then paint it. I have no access to a vinyl cutter and other amazing things I am very jealous about.

Soul Calibur has amazing costumes, but none of the female costumes ever appealed to me for whatever reason. Hopefully under all of the armor and masks no one will be able to tell I'm a girl. Plus Yoshi is apparently only 5'6" so it's actually in character to be really short, dammit.

I'm impressed that one of your group is going as Ashlotte though. That costume looks amazing but just so, so painful to make and wear.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

drat, Indianapolis is pretty far :( Those banners are gorgeous. Pretty sure I'm just going to stretch canvas on a rack/wall and project the designs onto the fabric, then paint it. I have no access to a vinyl cutter and other amazing things I am very jealous about.

Soul Calibur has amazing costumes, but none of the female costumes ever appealed to me for whatever reason. Hopefully under all of the armor and masks no one will be able to tell I'm a girl. Plus Yoshi is apparently only 5'6" so it's actually in character to be really short, dammit.

I'm impressed that one of your group is going as Ashlotte though. That costume looks amazing but just so, so painful to make and wear.

Being a professional screen printer is a gigantic help for cosplay, it turns out. There's a lot of stuff I can do that looks so slick. I've thought about doing commissions for other cosplayers but I'd have to charge a ton for most of the kind of stuff I do for myself--my Hilde banner took somewhere around 20 hours to do the art and the printing, yuck. I bet the projection method will work really well though!

I think most of the ladies' costumes are either too cutesy or too naked for me. I'm very tall and curvy and pretty broad-shouldered, but not quite...whatever you want to call it...to be a good Ivy. :gonk: I love armor building anyway so Hilde is pretty exciting to me. She's the only person I'd make for myself from the games in general except Nightmare, who I'll probably be co-building anyway. I bet you'll look great as Yoshimitsu. People definitely flipped out when a girl emerged from our Big Daddy suit a few times, but nobody knew the difference when I was in there, haha!

Our Ashlotte is the little sister and gold-dressed Sister in my other pictures! She's a sewing wizard, it's seriously ridiculous. I bet it'll be insanely uncomfortable to wear. I'm kind of excited for myself, the way Hilde's armor is built, I think it'll probably be my most comfortable outfit to date! No high heels and no 10000000 pound jetpack. Yeah!

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
McPantserton, you and I are going to quickly become BFFs. :colbert: Nail polish and cosplay! :woop: BIG DADDY. :stare: That's just fantastic.

A very, very long time ago I did Seong Mi-na from SCII while a friend of mine did Taki. It was back before the advent of digital cameras and my gaining 20 pounds, so no pics of it really exist. It was kind of awesome, though.

Have you thought about making your own vacuum table and molds? I found this tutorial while searching for my very own stormtrooper armor http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/vacuumtable/index.html

Since all I would ever make was stormtrooper armor for myself, it didn't make sense for me to make my own table, so I ended up buying my armor from a dude on the 501st forums. It's still sitting in a box in the garage, unassembled. Sigh. ONE DAY.

Tonight is the midnight opening of the Hunger Games, and I'm in the midst of making Effie's pink getup for a friend of mine! I only had three days and an incredibly limited budget (the friend is a poor college kid), but I think it'll turn out all right. I'll post pics tomorrow!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
FINISHED!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

McPantserton posted:

Mizufusion, you should totally do the archbishop! The sprites are by far my favorite of the 3rd tier classes. I used to play a lot of RO, I did a high priestess costume roughly 100000 years ago (although your dress is way more detailed than mine). I totally just brought a gigantic bible from Goodwill to carry around. I also liked the fact that I could pretty easily make a bunch of different head accessories to swap, I did craft foam angel and demon wing bands, heart pin, and a few other quick ones.

Yeah, I found that most of the third tier costumes weren't very appealing to me, and they have a lot of ridiculous details. I liked making the high priest dress because I could add my own details without it looking like a total clusterfuck. I was about 2" short on some of that gold trim, though. Oops.

For headgear I made a mystic rose out of fake flowers, since I enjoy doing floral work. My mom was a florist and taught me some basics, like how to make corsages. It's a pretty random skill to have, so I like to make use of it. Unfortunately I don't have very good pictures of it, since I haven't been able to find it the last few times I wore the costume. One year I just wore a cheap lolita-style headdress that someone gave me. Maybe I'll just make a new rose.

And yes, I did use the Bible/Book of Mormon from the hotel room as props that year. You can also see that the dress fits a little odd in the shoulder, because the fabric I originally used was pretty cheap, and the collar was all sorts of wonky. In my defense, I made that dress while visiting family in rural Ohio, and the only place to get fabric was Walmart.. :saddowns:

Veila posted:

Mizufusion - I have done a ton of sew only stuff I just decided recently to branch out into other stuff besides props. I know the value of a good deal in fact there is a joann's app that is loaded with coupons and is probably my most used app on my phone.

Yeah, I keep meaning to check the sales since I have a dumbphone, and keep forgetting. I did get some patterns that I think will work for the basis of the dress for $1, but I may have gotten the wrong size. I put on a little weight since last time I made costumes, so I might have to do some adjustments. Thankfully they were cheap so it's not a total loss, but I'm going to kick myself if I have to buy new patterns.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Hahaha seriously you know you're a cosplayer when the Joann Fabrics app is the most used app on your phone. Why the gently caress hasn't Michael's made one yet?

Edit: VV holy poo poo seriously??

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 23, 2012

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
They have for Android.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I wish I was working on something so I could post something awesome. But a combo of being too poor to buy supplies, finishing up my last semester of school, and the one con I go to being canceled this year, there is nothing on my plate. I'm itching to work on something though, so I've made a few sketches of a chainmail armor I want to make eventually, and of the judgement armor from WoW. I also really love this fan art, but so does everybody it seems.

Fan art

Chainmail

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Rufus En Fuego posted:

McPantserton, you and I are going to quickly become BFFs. :colbert: Nail polish and cosplay! :woop: BIG DADDY. :stare: That's just fantastic.

A very, very long time ago I did Seong Mi-na from SCII while a friend of mine did Taki. It was back before the advent of digital cameras and my gaining 20 pounds, so no pics of it really exist. It was kind of awesome, though.

Have you thought about making your own vacuum table and molds? I found this tutorial while searching for my very own stormtrooper armor http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/vacuumtable/index.html

Since all I would ever make was stormtrooper armor for myself, it didn't make sense for me to make my own table, so I ended up buying my armor from a dude on the 501st forums. It's still sitting in a box in the garage, unassembled. Sigh. ONE DAY.

Tonight is the midnight opening of the Hunger Games, and I'm in the midst of making Effie's pink getup for a friend of mine! I only had three days and an incredibly limited budget (the friend is a poor college kid), but I think it'll turn out all right. I'll post pics tomorrow!
Hell yeah! :hfive: (Loving your frankens, by the way!) Although my love of nail polish often gets beaten out my my love of cosplay, ugh. I dremeled off the end of one of my nails last summer and ruined more manicures than I care to remember! I was so excited when we finally GOT to GenCon and I could repaint them a color besides "spray paint droplets."

I should definitely look into building one. It's starting to seem like it will be more cost-effective in not only the short term but also the long term since I do so much costuming anyway and I'm having one hell of a time getting companies to reply to me. Sigh.

Red Robin Hood: That is so kick-rear end!! Have you worn it somewhere ridiculous like the grocery store yet? I don't think I could resist if I had stormtrooper armor around.

Mizufusion posted:

Yeah, I found that most of the third tier costumes weren't very appealing to me, and they have a lot of ridiculous details. I liked making the high priest dress because I could add my own details without it looking like a total clusterfuck. I was about 2" short on some of that gold trim, though. Oops.

For headgear I made a mystic rose out of fake flowers, since I enjoy doing floral work. My mom was a florist and taught me some basics, like how to make corsages. It's a pretty random skill to have, so I like to make use of it. Unfortunately I don't have very good pictures of it, since I haven't been able to find it the last few times I wore the costume. One year I just wore a cheap lolita-style headdress that someone gave me. Maybe I'll just make a new rose.

And yes, I did use the Bible/Book of Mormon from the hotel room as props that year. You can also see that the dress fits a little odd in the shoulder, because the fabric I originally used was pretty cheap, and the collar was all sorts of wonky. In my defense, I made that dress while visiting family in rural Ohio, and the only place to get fabric was Walmart.. :saddowns:

I felt like most of the 3rd tier outfits were tackier, worse-looking versions of 2nd tier, with the exception of Archbishop. Especially Rune Knight, man. What did they do to my beautiful Lord Knight!? But yeah, I think the Archbishop dress has a lot of opportunity to make a really cute, flowy dress with creative accents like that back ruffle that you don't really have to be super strict with. I did a stalker costume like that once where I added a lot of beads, feathers, etc. and just went nuts with really beautiful embellishments and it was sooo much fun to make! I totally love the mystic rose, I think it matches the look of the outfit really well.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

McPantserton posted:

Red Robin Hood: That is so kick-rear end!! Have you worn it somewhere ridiculous like the grocery store yet? I don't think I could resist if I had stormtrooper armor around.

I wore the helmet through Burger King's drive-thru last weekend but they told me to take it off :( I don't think places allow you to wear helmets or masks in case you might rob them!

But THANKS!!!

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

McPantserton posted:

Hell yeah! :hfive: (Loving your frankens, by the way!) Although my love of nail polish often gets beaten out my my love of cosplay, ugh. I dremeled off the end of one of my nails last summer and ruined more manicures than I care to remember! I was so excited when we finally GOT to GenCon and I could repaint them a color besides "spray paint droplets."

Thanks. :3:

I'm not into cosplay nearly as much as I used to be. The last three or four years I've been pretty much dedicated to historical costuming, and mostly for the artistry of it. I very rarely wear anything I make. I did use Le Chevalier D'Eon as an excuse to make seven costumes for Anime Expo last year, though.

Super blurry Effie ahoy! This is what three evenings and $50 will get you.

Pardon my friend's pose. For some reason she always poses in that same weird way whenever I take a pic of her in costume. :iiam:

She wore it to the midnight release of the Hunger Games and ended up in the lobby for a solid half hour posing with all the little tweens in braids. It was fun.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
I'm so glad someone finally posted a DIY cosplay thread. I've been cosplaying since 2001 and have been following the old thread since 2009.

Anyway, most current project.. Mass Effect, Commander Shepard.

Sadly, all my talent is in actual fabric, armor, props and accessories frighten and confuse me. :saddowns:

So I'm makeing her alliance crew uniform.

I finished the shirt part a few days ago and will hopefully get to work on the rest today.

I couldn't find the color I wanted for the sports mesh, so I resorted to dying.

Security Deposit? What's that? :downs:

Modified a leotard pattern I had for the top because I wanted to use a stretch fabric under the mesh.

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite blurry iphone photo on the citadel.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mucktron posted:

I'm so glad someone finally posted a DIY cosplay thread. I've been cosplaying since 2001 and have been following the old thread since 2009.

Was there a previous thread? Is it archived? If not can you link me? I'd like to make the OP look a little nicer :P

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
There's a "Favourite Cosplay" thread in PYF where people have been posting their own work off and on.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

McPantserton posted:

I felt like most of the 3rd tier outfits were tackier, worse-looking versions of 2nd tier, with the exception of Archbishop. Especially Rune Knight, man. What did they do to my beautiful Lord Knight!? But yeah, I think the Archbishop dress has a lot of opportunity to make a really cute, flowy dress with creative accents like that back ruffle that you don't really have to be super strict with. I did a stalker costume like that once where I added a lot of beads, feathers, etc. and just went nuts with really beautiful embellishments and it was sooo much fun to make! I totally love the mystic rose, I think it matches the look of the outfit really well.

Thank you! :3: Rogue/stalker is actually one of my favorite classes, but I haven't worked up the nerve to wear something midriff-exposing yet. Your version sounds exquisite, though! I'd love to see it, if you have any pictures.

I think I just sentenced myself to working on the costume this weekend. I have the hat almost done, but I'm not too happy with some parts because I improvised most of the pattern so I might redo it. I have plenty of suitable white cloth for making the the jacket, so I'll probably get some muslin and work on the rough draft of it. I took a nap earlier and had dreams about trying to get to the fabric store because of this thread!

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!
Awesome, I've been hoping for a thread like this for a while now. I have a couple of things I'm working on for fanime and SDCC, but right now I'm a bit stumped on how exactly to make part of my costume.

I'm making the red cloaked figure from Journey:

Cloak is pretty much done except the details on the hem, but I'm not quite sure on how to make the mask. I thought about using one of those cheap white masks you see at Michael's and covering it in fabric, but the face on the character is featureless. I also want to make the eyes light up but I need to read up on how to rig LED's.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out
I can't wait to see those finished Yoshimitsus. Don't forget to post photos of the final costumes in the PYF cosplay thread, I'll likely forget to check here.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mobius 1 posted:

Awesome, I've been hoping for a thread like this for a while now. I have a couple of things I'm working on for fanime and SDCC, but right now I'm a bit stumped on how exactly to make part of my costume.

Cloak is pretty much done except the details on the hem, but I'm not quite sure on how to make the mask. I thought about using one of those cheap white masks you see at Michael's and covering it in fabric, but the face on the character is featureless. I also want to make the eyes light up but I need to read up on how to rig LED's.

I'd like to see some in-progress pictures or something. Though you'd have to be, like, sliding down a big sand mountain or something and that might be kind of hard!

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

I can't wait to see those finished Yoshimitsus. Don't forget to post photos of the final costumes in the PYF cosplay thread, I'll likely forget to check here.

Don't you dare forget about us!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Mobius 1 posted:

How are you going to deal with the fact that the character has no arms or even shoulders?

I haven't played the game or anything, I'm just going off what I've seen in screenshots.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'd like to see some in-progress pictures or something. Though you'd have to be, like, sliding down a big sand mountain or something and that might be kind of hard!

I'll take some sometime this weekend, sans the sliding down sand mountains. I'm mainly working on trying to get the designs into something I can make into a stencil and paint on the designs to the cloak. I'm also debating on whether I want to use any glow in the dark paint for the designs since their cloaks do light up/glow when they do certain things. Shoes are also a bit of a concern for me in this costume since they don't have feet. I also do plan on trying to find some sand dunes or something similar when I'm completely done with this costume to take some pictures on.

MrGreenShirt posted:

How are you going to deal with the fact that the character has no arms or even shoulders?

I haven't played the game or anything, I'm just going off what I've seen in screenshots.

Thankfully I'm rather small in the shoulders so I made the cloak a tad bit bigger to give that illusion. That and the hood should cover and come down a bit past my shoulders. As for using my arms when I need to for doors and such, the front is open, it closes with velcro so if I want it to flow open like it tends to do in parts of the games I can adjust the velcro. I also thought about putting hidden armslits in the side seams so if I did want to stick my arms out and not through the front, I could. But basically, I just figured keep my arms close to my body when I'm wandering in this costume, then secretly slide my arms out when I need them.

Also I too am stoked to see the Yoshimitsu and Hilde costumes. I love the work McPantserton has done on the banner and can't wait to see more.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Mobius 1 posted:

Heyyy there, light-up-eyes-and-featureless-face-buddy. Here is me doing something pretty similar as Taokaka from BlazBlue:

(The eyes were LEDs and did light up, but a combo of bright light and malfunctioning electronics on the day of the con makes them look lovely in that pic :( )

First off, are you going to put your face where the mask is? To me it looks like it's taller than a person would be, so the natural point for a person's head would be below that.

If you're making it so you have to be able to see out of the mask, you can always do what I did for Taokaka: Make a frame out of a wire spaghetti strainer and pull black fabric taut over it. I used something stretchy that I made sure I could see through when it was stretched. I could see out of the mask okay. The eyes were a little past where my eyes actually were, and LEDs are not that bright so that wasn't a problem.

However, like I said up there, the wiring on my lights decided to go nuts the day of, so I am remaking the mask using EL flat panels. EL panels look like pieces of paper but they light up uniformly when you connect them to an inverter. Luckily, due to the new TRON movie and resulting cosplay demand, there are starting to be a lot of online vendors of EL wire/panels. I just bought my new eyes from here: http://thatscoolwire.com/

They say you can cut the panels into various shapes. I would contact the guys who run the site about how to cut them, they get back to you super fast and are really helpful.

If the mask does not have to be something you can see through, you are way luckier than me, and you can string up all your wiring right on the back of the mask. If you want the mask to be flat, I would make it out of craft foam, with a .5" or so upholstery foam behind it for a little bit of dimension, then seal it and paint it black or cover it with fabric. Those craft masks you get at Michaels are the correct shape for it, so you could also go that route, cut off the nose, and then fill in the indentations with model magic etc. until it's a uniform shape.

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 24, 2012

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Oh boy oh boy this thread is gonna kick rear end.

I wind up doing a lot of sci if costuming for me and other people, which means military jackets, but I am hilariously allergic to wool. Broadcloth eats. What would you all use? (Wool blends aren't an option.)

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Mobius 1 posted:

They're a little expensive (Google says $30-$40) but a fencing mask might work. They're relatively opaque and they have that smooth, uniform shape over the entire face.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
You could even pick up some real thin black or dark grey cloth to pin over the top of it!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fencing masks are fairly comfortable and easily put on/remove/add stuff to. You might be able to find a (relatively) cheap one secondhand if you're not looking to fence in it. If they don't pass the occasional safety checks they're basically trashed afaik.

Right now I'm cooking up a Riddler for a friend and putting more touches to the Scarecrow I made. Scarecrow's gotten a small overhaul since he appeared in the "weird stuff goons have made" article on front page. I've also got some Fallout stuff in the pipes. Tonight I'm pressed for time but I've been waiting for a thread like this. Expect more content from your friendly neighborhood Double Muhammad.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
This thread is still a baby but... is anyone going to Emerald City Comic Con?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Oh my god, just got back from a 4 hour green screen photoshoot for our Warhammer 40k costumes and I am beat. :gonk: However, I think it's going to be so worth it to have real pictures of those costumes, we spent way too much time on them to only have them immortalized in hotel hallways! The guys who did our shoot were really awesome and they'll have a booth at Anime Central, if anybody's going. I'd definitely recommend them, they were really helpful posing us and I never felt stupid or awkward, plus even just the pre-processed pictures looked sooooooo gooooood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
When do we get to see them!? :allears: