Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

When do we get to see them!? :allears:

As soon as I get the shots back!! For now, here's a test shot of my best bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Bean posted:

Oh boy oh boy this thread is gonna kick rear end.

I wind up doing a lot of sci if costuming for me and other people, which means military jackets, but I am hilariously allergic to wool. Broadcloth eats. What would you all use? (Wool blends aren't an option.)

I would go for a suiting, honestly. There are a lot of synthetic fabrics out there with a wool-like weave that can effectively pull off the look. Or you could line the wool really well.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Here's the first few layers of paint on my boyfriend's Yoshimitsu mask!

It's got larger horns that we're still figuring out, and I think the eyebrows look cooler in person than in this photo, but I think it's coming along very nicely!

I also dropped off my Hilde spear blades (made out of .75" thick masonite) with a friend to get belt sanded down to the proper tapers today. PROGRESS.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hey. Nice to see a cosplay thread other than the PYF one.

It might get asked around a lot around the internet, but what the hell.

How does one get started into cosplaying?
More specifically, I always wanted to make a Ragnarok Online costume since I played it a lot, but I only go as far as collecting source material. :(

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

HardDisk posted:

More specifically, I always wanted to make a Ragnarok Online costume since I played it a lot, but I only go as far as collecting source material. :(

I got into cosplay because of the awesome costumes I saw at my first convention a friend and I went to when I was 14. My mom made all of my Halloween costumes when I was little, there was no pre-bought crap in our house, and one of my best friends had a mom who made the costumes for Disneyland. So with my mom teaching me how to sew, me wanting to be awesome at conventions which were so fun and rad, and being too old to trick or treat on Halloween, I shifted my focus to cosplay. I really like talking with other cosplayers and I love the attention when I'm in costume as well as showing off what I accomplished. I'm a pretty introverted person, but in costume I feel like things open up since it's not me, it's the character.

Take a local sewing class to learn some basics and how to read and modify patterns.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDisk posted:

I personally just jumped in! At my first convention I went without a costume because I thought it was lame, but then I saw how many people had badass outfits, and I was jealous. Since then, I have spent an excessive amount of time and money on costumes. Don't worry too much about the fact that you don't know how to sew or armor or whatever. Everybody learns by starting at a baseline point! Look at awesome blogs like Kamui Cosplay, Blind Squirrel Props, and Volpin, and see what kind of materials people use. It's a really nice way to gain knowledge about materials without having to experiment. I really think that the first step is just to try, though. My friends and I didn't think our Big Daddy suit was going to work at all but we've got that suit fine-tuned to the point where it can be put on a person in less than 10 minutes and you can see and walk in it, which I think is a success.

What class do you want to be? I've played way more RO in my life than I care to admit and I probably could think of some ideas for whatever if I knew what you were aiming for.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Been looking for a dedicated cosplay thread here, and am really glad that this finally got made! Posted in the previous PYF Cosplay thread on a project I was working on, and now I'm finally done.

This is Sky High, also known as Keith Goodman from the anime, Tiger & Bunny.

When I last posted, I was working on his jetpack and trying to include in a smoke-emitting system for an added effect. While I managed to rig up something that involved some pipes and dry ice, it kinda failed on me on the day that this photo was taken.

Planning to get a friend to help resew the grey part of the outer coat (as my sewing skills are pretty crap as you can see.) as well as investing in a proper body suit for the inner part of the costume.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

HardDisk posted:

I got started when I was in middle school (preteen years), and my mom did most of the sewing for me. Some of the costumes were from scratch, some were modified from other garments. I think either way is acceptable, depending on what you're making and the quality of your source garments. If you're concerned with accuracy and fit, it's probably better to make your own garment, though. I learned the hard way that modifying things can be just as much work as making them when I tried to turn a coat into a Revolutionary Girl Utena jacket one year..

If you know what class you want to play, I can possibly give you ideas. I've done a high priestess so far (pictured earlier in the thread), and I'm planning an archbishop right now. The nice thing is that if you don't get the costume design just right, you can always claim "artistic license" because it's an MMO character. I've actually seen pictures from one cosplayer who did three different versions of the female archbishop costume, complete with accessories. :downs:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Soooooo I became obsessed with the idea of making Adventure Time outfits for Anime Central at work today and...

Rhombus!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

paisleyfox posted:

I got into cosplay because of the awesome costumes I saw at my first convention a friend and I went to when I was 14. My mom made all of my Halloween costumes when I was little, there was no pre-bought crap in our house, and one of my best friends had a mom who made the costumes for Disneyland. So with my mom teaching me how to sew, me wanting to be awesome at conventions which were so fun and rad, and being too old to trick or treat on Halloween, I shifted my focus to cosplay. I really like talking with other cosplayers and I love the attention when I'm in costume as well as showing off what I accomplished. I'm a pretty introverted person, but in costume I feel like things open up since it's not me, it's the character.

Take a local sewing class to learn some basics and how to read and modify patterns.

I can certainly relate to being awed by the costumes on the first con you go and wanting to be a part of it. :)
As for sewing, I'm terrified of sewing machines. :ohdear: But just I think it is because I don't know how to use them.

McPantserton posted:

I personally just jumped in! At my first convention I went without a costume because I thought it was lame, but then I saw how many people had badass outfits, and I was jealous. Since then, I have spent an excessive amount of time and money on costumes. Don't worry too much about the fact that you don't know how to sew or armor or whatever. Everybody learns by starting at a baseline point! Look at awesome blogs like Kamui Cosplay, Blind Squirrel Props, and Volpin, and see what kind of materials people use. It's a really nice way to gain knowledge about materials without having to experiment. I really think that the first step is just to try, though. My friends and I didn't think our Big Daddy suit was going to work at all but we've got that suit fine-tuned to the point where it can be put on a person in less than 10 minutes and you can see and walk in it, which I think is a success.

What class do you want to be? I've played way more RO in my life than I care to admit and I probably could think of some ideas for whatever if I knew what you were aiming for.

Congrats on having the courage to just jump in! How was the feeling in your first day wearing your first costume?

I played a lot with High-Priest/Archbishop, and loved every second of it, even if I had to party with people that sucked balls. But there was something about support class that clicked for me, so yeah.

Mizufusion posted:

I got started when I was in middle school (preteen years), and my mom did most of the sewing for me. Some of the costumes were from scratch, some were modified from other garments. I think either way is acceptable, depending on what you're making and the quality of your source garments. If you're concerned with accuracy and fit, it's probably better to make your own garment, though. I learned the hard way that modifying things can be just as much work as making them when I tried to turn a coat into a Revolutionary Girl Utena jacket one year..

If you know what class you want to play, I can possibly give you ideas. I've done a high priestess so far (pictured earlier in the thread), and I'm planning an archbishop right now. The nice thing is that if you don't get the costume design just right, you can always claim "artistic license" because it's an MMO character. I've actually seen pictures from one cosplayer who did three different versions of the female archbishop costume, complete with accessories. :downs:

Yeah, coming from a programming background, I know what you mean by modifying stuff is sometimes almost as hard as making it from scratch. How did that turn out?

As I said above, I think ArchBishop (I'm male) is almost a natural for me (I did find funny that one of the first posts were about a Ragnarok Online character, and the High Priestess to boot. Talk about a small Internet :v: ).
I almost went with Blacksmith once, but I didn't have the body to pull off wearing that shirt that way and I had nothing in the way of accessories.

Thanks for all of the responses. :)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

HardDisk posted:

I can certainly relate to being awed by the costumes on the first con you go and wanting to be a part of it. :)
As for sewing, I'm terrified of sewing machines. :ohdear: But just I think it is because I don't know how to use them.

Aw, don't be scared! My sister is terrified to use a machine because she thinks she'll sew her hand. I can tell you from experience while it IS possible, it's pretty drat hard to do (and by "possible" I mean "stick yourself on the needle") Seriously, though, go find a local sewing class (better if it was from like a quilting shop or something, or the Y, but Joann might have some that aren't bad, either. My store didn't have sewing classes because we were tiny, so I'm not sure of the quality, but it'll teach you the basics.)

Seriously, though, sewing machines are easy. You just need to know the way to thread the machine and BAM you're sewing. :)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDisk posted:

Congrats on having the courage to just jump in! How was the feeling in your first day wearing your first costume?
It was totally awesome. :D I was probably 14-15, and I went as Selphie from Final Fantasy VIII. It was back before there were a lot of rules about props so I made the nunchaku out of 2 giant wooden dowels and a length of steel chain, haha. My dress was pretty awful in retrospect but I felt so cool! I've never gone to a con without some sort of costume since.

HardDisk posted:

As I said above, I think ArchBishop (I'm male) is almost a natural for me (I did find funny that one of the first posts were about a Ragnarok Online character, and the High Priestess to boot. Talk about a small Internet :v: ).
I almost went with Blacksmith once, but I didn't have the body to pull off wearing that shirt that way and I had nothing in the way of accessories.
Ok, looking at that costume I'd probably start with a pirate or Matrix-y Halloween pattern (which they totally still make) if you're new to sewing! If it's your first project, consider buying some really cheap muslin and making a test coat from scratch. This will help you learn what the pattern wants you to do with fabric that you won't be mad if you damage. Learning how to sew from a pattern is a matter of being very methodical, in my opinion: a lot of the terms will be new to you, and a lot of the steps won't make sense. But most of them end up being important, and if you stop to figure out what each thing does or means before just doing it and getting angry if things go wrong, it can really help.

When you get to the real coat, don't go for the cheapest fabric available unless you're totally broke. A heavier fabric will make it look more like a real garment than a cheap thin cotton. For the stripes and trim, look at purchasing bias tape! It'll cost a bit but it will also save you a lot of time hemming or trying to get strips of fabric to be even. Looking at it, I think it might also be easier to make a blue undercoat thing and white bolero to go over it instead of trying to do it all as one piece.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

paisleyfox posted:

Aw, don't be scared! My sister is terrified to use a machine because she thinks she'll sew her hand. I can tell you from experience while it IS possible, it's pretty drat hard to do (and by "possible" I mean "stick yourself on the needle") Seriously, though, go find a local sewing class (better if it was from like a quilting shop or something, or the Y, but Joann might have some that aren't bad, either. My store didn't have sewing classes because we were tiny, so I'm not sure of the quality, but it'll teach you the basics.)

Seriously, though, sewing machines are easy. You just need to know the way to thread the machine and BAM you're sewing. :)

My great-grandmother once sewed her hand while using an ancient table Singer. I was, like, five and all :stare: as she just plucked out the needle, snipped the thread, wrapped up her hand and continued on. Didn't even get any blood on the quilt she was making.

I have since confirmed her genetics by sewing my fingers to several garments, albeit while hand applying trim. Not once did I ever notice until I went to set the project down and it...came with me.

I think I'm broken.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

It was totally awesome. :D I was probably 14-15, and I went as Selphie from Final Fantasy VIII.

Holy poo poo seriously, are you me? :psyduck: Or do great minds just think alike?

I was 14 at my first con and went as (you guessed it) Selphie. My friend's mom sewed the dress for me.

My mom then bought me a sewing machine and I pretty much taught myself to sew. Made a really bad costume the first time I tried, kept trying, eventually got good at it.

Cosplay is so much easier nowadays than it used to be, as there are literally thousands of tutorials online for all kinds of characters, techniques, and props. Back in the early 2000s when I first got started I spent a lot of time figuring poo poo out on my own through trial and error. Now, when I'm attempting a new technique, the first place I go is google to see if someone has come up for a tutorial for it already.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Holy poo poo seriously, are you me? :psyduck: Or do great minds just think alike?

I was 14 at my first con and went as (you guessed it) Selphie. My friend's mom sewed the dress for me.

My mom then bought me a sewing machine and I pretty much taught myself to sew. Made a really bad costume the first time I tried, kept trying, eventually got good at it.

Cosplay is so much easier nowadays than it used to be, as there are literally thousands of tutorials online for all kinds of characters, techniques, and props. Back in the early 2000s when I first got started I spent a lot of time figuring poo poo out on my own through trial and error. Now, when I'm attempting a new technique, the first place I go is google to see if someone has come up for a tutorial for it already.
We clearly have some awesome poo poo in common! My mom mostly sewed mine for me, haha. She's also the person who still gets the most excited about my costumes. :3: She's planning on making a ~7 hour drive to come see us at GenCon this year.

Also, here's a photo of me standing on a mountain of the skulls of my enemies :shobon:

Such good motivation to keep working hard on my Soul Calibur outfit! Although I'll admit I am excessively excited to make a silly, easy costume for ACen, I've been wearing my Finn hat for like 2 days!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

HardDisk posted:

I played a lot with High-Priest/Archbishop, and loved every second of it, even if I had to party with people that sucked balls. But there was something about support class that clicked for me, so yeah.

Yeah, coming from a programming background, I know what you mean by modifying stuff is sometimes almost as hard as making it from scratch. How did that turn out?

Thanks for all of the responses. :)

I actually stopped playing before the third tier jobs came out, but the archbishop design is so pretty. :3: McPantserton has some pretty good advice; that's probably the same thing I'd do. I also like to start planning by finding as much source material as possible, and trying to sketch out the front, back, and other details of the costume. This can be a little tricky since there isn't much official artwork for Ragnarok characters, but it will also be immensely helpful. There's a lot of variation in character design between the official artwork, fanart, and even the game sprites. Figuring out what you want to do before you do it will save you a lot of hassle later. Looking at other people's costumes will also give you a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

And the jacket I modified for my Utena costume? Terrible. Not the worst thing I've seen at a con, but I'm embarrassed to think about it now. The jacket was nice, but it wasn't fitted like it should be and the collar was all sorts of wonky. Also, my wig and accessories were awful. I had a generic halloween-store wig and sword. And I acted like a total otaku when I saw the director of the movie in the hall. :saddowns:

Rocketwitch
Sep 2, 2011

Wow! You all got some awesome cosplays and projects.
I only sew my cosplays and maybe make some props like feathered wings. Currently I'm working on a napoleon-esque outfit that has to be finished in two weeks.
A few years ago I tried something overly ambigious with armor and it didn't work out. Maybe I'll try it again next year. :shobon:

How many conventions do you visit in cosplay per year? And do you make more than one cosplay per year?
I'm really interessted in cosplay habits of others.

On average most of my friends and I attend 5 conventions in cosplay and make 3 cosplays per year. That's more or less standard in the german cosplay community.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Definitely some cool poo poo coming out of this thread! Wooh!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Rocketwitch posted:

Wow! You all got some awesome cosplays and projects.
I only sew my cosplays and maybe make some props like feathered wings. Currently I'm working on a napoleon-esque outfit that has to be finished in two weeks.
A few years ago I tried something overly ambigious with armor and it didn't work out. Maybe I'll try it again next year. :shobon:

How many conventions do you visit in cosplay per year? And do you make more than one cosplay per year?

On average most of my friends and I attend 5 conventions in cosplay and make 3 cosplays per year. That's more or less standard in the german cosplay community.

I go to 2 large conventions (GenCon, Anime Central). I build one hardcore costume (like my 40k armor) and usually a few weird, small ones like my Adventure Time outfit, or last year I did a Harry Potter outfit for the movies, etc. I used to do a new costume for every convention I went to but with the scale of the projects I generally do nowadays, it'd be waaay too much for me.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Rocketwitch posted:

Depending on how plush with cash I am, I go to anywhere from 3 to 5 conventions a year with an average of 2-4 costumes. I do try to work on costumes throughout the year, but the cons are during the summer. AX, A-Kon, ComicCon, AFest and Quakecon are my usuals, though we've only cosplayed once at Quakecon since its no so much a convention as it is a LAN party (and we went in our award winning Orange Box costumes from A-Kon that year.)

AX is really my favorite, and the one I grew up with, so I try to make a visit home to my family when I go and often make another costume while there and save my big guns for that con since it seems people put in the most effort for AX (A-Kon goes downhill every year. I mean, we lost Funimation as an industry guest and they are IN TOWN, so that's embarrassing...)

Though between me and my husband, I think we only have three costumes that haven't been retired (and are great in a pinch) and at least three more we've been working on off and on for like, two years now. :|

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Rocketwitch posted:

I've only been to BlizzCon, so one con and one costume per year for me. I've been wanting to get to ComicCon and/or AX but I always miss the tickets or am too busy in the summer to be able to go. Also, my last projects were quite large/expensive, and I didn't have the funds to go to more than one con. Hopefully that will change once I'm no longer a poor student.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Back when I was younger and totally into anime, I did somewhere in the vicinity of six cons a year, and tried my best to do a different costume for each one. They were always sewing projects, too...I didn't exactly have the cash to be futzing around with props and armor.

I made Asuka's yellow sundress three times, though.

Now that I'm old and too embarrassed to be seen with teenagers, I try to restrict my poo poo to ren faires and special events, like the midnight opening of THG. Before that Effie quickie I posted earlier I did a gothic lolita-esque dress for a friend of mine who went to the Zappos holiday party. The theme was "masquerade," so I went all out and made her a cute little princess-style with lots of ribbons and lace. Alas, I neglected to take pictures.

I usually sew for the love of the craft now.

ETA: I'm the WORST cosplayer. I love making the stuff, but I feel absolutely ridiculous wearing it and posing for photos in character. I prefer to make stuff for my hot, skinny friends instead.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 28, 2012

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
I also try to hit 3-5 cons a year sometimes I can go to more just depends on the year. I was going to go to AX for the first time ever this year with friends but now it doesn't seems so likely so I may end up at Akon again. I agree it's becoming rather sad. But with no time to plan on anything else I may just hit that or skip on one all together.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I went to 3 cons last year. It's usually 2. I'm trying to make it more this year.

Last year I decided to make five costumes. Three for me and two for my brother. I have made 2 already this year, but they were super easy. I have plans to make.... uh, five more. gently caress.

In other news, today I learned that Model Magic doesn't stick to plastic :( I was hoping I would have some kind of Yoshimitsu mask progress shots to post, but now I have to wait to get Paperclay/Paper Mache at Michael's and try this again.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So, I've been looking into the Arch Bishop costume and I think this pattern might be a good starting point.

Thoughts?

Since this is my first cosplay project, I have set my deadline to be at the end of the year or at most the beginning of the next year, since that's when the two major cons happens. I hope I can make it. :)

EDIT: Found these lying around. Any thoughts?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 29, 2012

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I went to 3 cons last year. It's usually 2. I'm trying to make it more this year.

Last year I decided to make five costumes. Three for me and two for my brother. I have made 2 already this year, but they were super easy. I have plans to make.... uh, five more. gently caress.

In other news, today I learned that Model Magic doesn't stick to plastic :( I was hoping I would have some kind of Yoshimitsu mask progress shots to post, but now I have to wait to get Paperclay/Paper Mache at Michael's and try this again.

Have you tried something like apoxie sculpt?

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

paisleyfox posted:

Have you tried something like apoxie sculpt?

I have never heard of this stuff before. It seems amazing, though. Do you end up using a lot in one project or does a little go a long way? It's kind of expensive so if I'm going to order some and try it I probably don't want to order a ton if I'm not going to need it.

I looked at some examples of poo poo people have made with it though and daaaaamn, I want to try it.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I ordered mine from The Engineer Guy from a tip by Volpin. Cheaper than amazon, too. A little can go a very long way since you essentially order double (two tubs to mix together in equal parts. Think of it like better quality Mighty Putty by Billy Mayes.) You'll find you'll use it for everything, though. It's light, sculptable, sturdy, air "dries", and paintable.

I got the 4 lb since I can use it of so much stuff, but you'd probably do well with the 1 lb and still have leftovers to play with.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 29, 2012

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!
THIZZFACE KILLA- Your Taokaka costume is awesome! Thanks for the ideas, I have been trying to figure out whether I wanted to have the eyes light up or not, but since I only need small pieces, the EL wire might be the way to go.

Grape Juice Vampire- Thanks for the suggestion! Found one on ebay for about $30.

Red Robin Hood- I know it took forever to get progress pictures and honestly they're not really interesting, but here they are. I haven't added the details to the cloak, I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to stencil on the darker triangles or if I want to find a darker red fabric and sew them on. I'm working on how to put the stencil on for the gold details. The hood part is giving me trouble right now as I can't seem to get the double points in the hood like I want so its back to making my own pattern for it.

MajorGravy- How did you make the helmet for your costume? It looks really nice

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
Figured I may as well post in here as well. I make a few cast items for local costumers and I'm working on setting up a CNC/vacuforming rig to do so even more.

All I've got to show for my work so far is these purity seals which I sculpted and cast for a friend of mine to paint and finish off.

Oh, and regarding the above topic - the cons in Australia are rather disparate and niche based. I think the only one I regularily go to is Supanova. Animania and several others tend to be full of mouthbreathing otaku who can't comprehend personal boundaries.

Anyhow, would you guys be interested in progress pics of the vacuformed/sculpted parts?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

HardDisk posted:

So, I've been looking into the Arch Bishop costume and I think this pattern might be a good starting point.

Thoughts?

Since this is my first cosplay project, I have set my deadline to be at the end of the year or at most the beginning of the next year, since that's when the two major cons happens. I hope I can make it. :)

EDIT: Found these lying around. Any thoughts?

I think you would be better off with something like a priest's frock, with a taller collar. If you look at the way the fabric is layered, it looks like the tall portion of his collar is connected to the blue coat, and the white part of the costume is a totally separate piece. This would also make sense if you observe the other branches of the priest's job tree. The basic male priest costume is a brown robe with a tall, gold-trimmed collar.

A high priest wears a similar brown coat, with a red and a white coat over it.

It would be pretty safe to assume the archbishop's costume is constructed in a similar manner. :) (More artwork here.)

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any official artwork that shows the back of the character. This has is ups and downs, because it may be frustrating to a perfectionist, trying to copy details from the sprites, but you can also take a lot of artistic license here and do whatever you want.

Butterick has a priest robe, and Simplicity has a Matrix-style coat that have a shape similar to what you want. I think the Neo/Matrix coat looks like it would have a better shape and be easier to sew, but it's hard to tell just by looking at a picture of the package. If you go to a fabric shop and ask someone working there, they'll probably be able to tell you better than I can.

You can probably also get away with buying one pattern for both the over- and undercoats. If you make a copy or trace the pattern one size larger (possibly two if you use heavy material) you can use that for the overcoat. You can make the over- and undercoats one piece if you want, but it might be hard to piece together. Sewing the red and white fabric for the bodice of my dress together was a bitch and a half.

Whatever you choose to do, definitely test it on cheap fabric like muslin before you try this on your real fabric! You want to make sure everything fits and is comfortable to move in before committing to something more expensive, especially if you make any alterations to the pattern.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Mobius 1 posted:

THIZZFACE KILLA- Your Taokaka costume is awesome! Thanks for the ideas, I have been trying to figure out whether I wanted to have the eyes light up or not, but since I only need small pieces, the EL wire might be the way to go.

Grape Juice Vampire- Thanks for the suggestion! Found one on ebay for about $30.

Red Robin Hood- I know it took forever to get progress pictures and honestly they're not really interesting, but here they are. I haven't added the details to the cloak, I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to stencil on the darker triangles or if I want to find a darker red fabric and sew them on. I'm working on how to put the stencil on for the gold details. The hood part is giving me trouble right now as I can't seem to get the double points in the hood like I want so its back to making my own pattern for it.

Have you thought about doing applique for the details on your coat? I know it's time consuming, but it's really easy to learn and looks so good when it's finished. If you need a tutorial I can link you to the one I use.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Mobius 1 posted:

This is the sort of situation where I've thought about offering print commissions, it'd be perfect for this kind of thing! Are you doing a freezer paper stencil technique? Here's a tutorial: http://www.stayathomeartist.com/2011/07/stencil-with-freezer-paper-harry-potter.html I always had good luck with that sort of stenciling.

nogthree posted:

Figured I may as well post in here as well. I make a few cast items for local costumers and I'm working on setting up a CNC/vacuforming rig to do so even more.

All I've got to show for my work so far is these purity seals which I sculpted and cast for a friend of mine to paint and finish off.

Oh, and regarding the above topic - the cons in Australia are rather disparate and niche based. I think the only one I regularily go to is Supanova. Animania and several others tend to be full of mouthbreathing otaku who can't comprehend personal boundaries.

Anyhow, would you guys be interested in progress pics of the vacuformed/sculpted parts?

I'd be interested to see vacuum forming stuff since I'm looking at doing a ton of stuff like that this year. Cool purity seals! Fun story, we don't have any for our 40k costumes because although we had sculpted a variety of different ones, cast them in resin, and printed the fabric parts, we didn't get around to gluing them together until we were at at Gencon. We had the fabric and stuff laying around and when we went to go assemble everything, we found out the maids had thrown away our fabric. :gonk: Never got around to making new ones. At least the hotel refunded us some money...

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

McPantserton posted:

This is the sort of situation where I've thought about offering print commissions, it'd be perfect for this kind of thing! Are you doing a freezer paper stencil technique? Here's a tutorial: http://www.stayathomeartist.com/2011/07/stencil-with-freezer-paper-harry-potter.html I always had good luck with that sort of stenciling.

Totally diggin' your 40k book photoshoot. I never did try the freezer paper method of stenciling, I've always just printed on cardstock and cut it out and used spray adhesive. I think its cause I never remember to find freezer paper at the grocery store cause I get sidetracked with other things. Also funny you mention commissions, I was actually going to PM you about them to see if you did offer them :)

Right now I'm on the fence of whether to do a giant stencil or a giant applique. I'm leaning more towards stencil since I want to try stenciling with adhesive backed acetate since it would save me the hassle of printing out and piecing this whole thing together(plus it gives me something to post in the slow-moving stencil thread)but at the same time, I really want it to look nice and appliqueing would really make it stand out. Thing is, with the paint, I can mix in glow in the dark paint so I can get it to glow somewhat similar to the game. Applique means I got to find some really nice yellow gold fabric and enough of it to go around the cloak which I may or may not have in my fabric stash.

On the plus side, I think I solved my hood problem since all the mockups I made looked a bit too pointy in the top part.

Also HardDisk, definitely check into the simplicity pattern as its a pretty simple jacket to put together as well as its fairly easy to modify it for what you're trying to make.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Mobius 1 that looks really good so far!

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

nogthree posted:

Which part of Australia are you in? I've been going to the Supanovas in both Perth and Sydney since I moved to Perth in 2010. Only other con besides Nova that I've gone to was last year's SMASH in Sydney.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008

McPantserton posted:

I'd be interested to see vacuum forming stuff since I'm looking at doing a ton of stuff like that this year. Cool purity seals! Fun story, we don't have any for our 40k costumes because although we had sculpted a variety of different ones, cast them in resin, and printed the fabric parts, we didn't get around to gluing them together until we were at at Gencon. We had the fabric and stuff laying around and when we went to go assemble everything, we found out the maids had thrown away our fabric. :gonk: Never got around to making new ones. At least the hotel refunded us some money...

That's surprising that they'd just casually clean up random fabric, occupational hazards?

MajorGravy posted:

Which part of Australia are you in? I've been going to the Supanovas in both Perth and Sydney since I moved to Perth in 2010. Only other con besides Nova that I've gone to was last year's SMASH in Sydney.

I'm in Brisbane, and I've got the feeling that the Space Marine armours that I plan to make won't get through security at airports that well. Especially some of the batteries and the like.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Cosplaying my first con today. I'll try to get some pictures :)

e: Me with Black Canary and Green Arrow!

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 1, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
oops

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Mobius 1 posted:

Totally diggin' your 40k book photoshoot. I never did try the freezer paper method of stenciling, I've always just printed on cardstock and cut it out and used spray adhesive. I think its cause I never remember to find freezer paper at the grocery store cause I get sidetracked with other things. Also funny you mention commissions, I was actually going to PM you about them to see if you did offer them :)

Thanks! Here's another slightly ridiculous yet still cool shot of all of us :shobon:

I'd totally be up for looking at commissions but I don't have PMs. My email is hannaherink at gmail dot com!

Here's a brief rundown of weekend progress!

My friend working on the first rendition of Soul Edge, which is going to be insanely heavy.

Spear blades! I took the masonite over to my favorite local hardware store and used their belt sander to taper the edges and bevel the inside edge to a right angle so they'll fit together. Next I need to find somebody with a lathe to make the fancy parts of the shaft.

Sword hilt! I'm going to surface it in bondo to finish it but I'm trying to save a little weight with a paper clay core. Note my extremely fashionable old-rear end work pants, power rangers socks, and Max Factor Fantasy Fire manicure!

Not pictured: I also dyed some fabric for my Finn backpack, plus my boyfriend finished his Jake the Dog hoodie. Productivity!