Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That is very cool! Did it cost any money to take those pictures or did the dude just want to do a fun photoshoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

That is very cool! Did it cost any money to take those pictures or did the dude just want to do a fun photoshoot?
Oops, didn't notice that gigantic accidental double post. Fixed.

They're trying to start a business going to conventions and doing green screen photography for people there, so they needed sample photos of costumes for advertising and whatnot. So we got the photoshoot and a ton of super high-res prints and fabric posters for free! (plus they ordered us a pizza lunch!) They're super nice guys. They have a large format sublimation printer and they're going to do some other work for me, plus they want to photograph our Big Daddy suit and Soul Calibur group once it's done, too. Yay!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That sounds like it would be A LOT of work if they went and did that at a con. But it could be really, really cool!

Any other cool shots? Where are they located?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Cosplay photographers advertise on cosplay.com all the time. I found a dude there who took my group's pics for free, and even did some simple video. It was kind of amazing.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

That sounds like it would be A LOT of work if they went and did that at a con. But it could be really, really cool!

Any other cool shots? Where are they located?

I asked how long each photo takes, and they said it goes like this:
-Customer goes through the book of backgrounds solo and figures out what background they want
-Customer describes the character, pose they want, etc. briefly
-Max 5 minutes to get the actual shot (the photographer is really good at giving pose directions so I can believe they usually get good results)
-Customer goes to the pay area while the photo is sent to the photoshop guy
-Max 5 minutes to remove the green screen, add the background, and add effects
-PRINT!

They said the hardest part is figuring out what effects go with what characters since they don't know much about a lot of the fandoms. With us, I was able to send a ton of source photos, advise about what different weapons do and how they work, etc. but on the fly, it's tough. They have a list of the most popular stuff so they can hopefully be prepared.

Here are 2 other solo shots they did:
My boyfriend

And my friend

I think the photoshopping is a little more obvious on these but they're still pretty cool. :)

In weird news, we did a photoshoot at Anime Central last year with some lady in our Big Daddy suit, and she never got around to sending us anything. Today she emailed my friend and asked if she could use our photos in a cosplay book. Uhh, maybe if we could see them first or something, at least!? What the hell.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
I've started work on a new project! Gonna be making an Extreme Ghostbusters proton pack. Hoping to get this done for Supanova, later in the year.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
A couple of shots of me and my girlfriend at SakuraCon in Seattle.

Doing Black Butler and Blue Exorcist. (My wig for the first one was making GBS threads up on me so I just painted my hair black)

Soarer fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 13, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I was at SakuraCon! It was a good time. Your costumes looks very nice, even though I don't really know Anime :P

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MajorGravy posted:

I've started work on a new project! Gonna be making an Extreme Ghostbusters proton pack. Hoping to get this done for Supanova, later in the year.

Which Supanova mate? Only been to one (Perth a few years back) but it was quite fun.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Red Robin Hood posted:

I was at SakuraCon! It was a good time. Your costumes looks very nice, even though I don't really know Anime :P

Oh cool did you wear the trooper costume? That thing is awesome btw. I'd love to have one.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Soarer posted:

Oh cool did you wear the trooper costume? That thing is awesome btw. I'd love to have one.

Yeah, I did! Thanks! I haven't found any photos online of me yet but I was featured on King5's Evening Magazine... well the commercial part of it!

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Which Supanova mate? Only been to one (Perth a few years back) but it was quite fun.

Perth! Also gonna be heading to Sydney's Supanova as well this year.

Here's me (with a friend's Slimeblower on) and the rest of us after an awesome Ghostbuster's screening at a local cinema last week. One of my mate's friends went as an amazing Walter Peck :allears:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That's pretty rad. I like the wide range of 'busters!

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
Its been awhile since I've done anything new for cosplaying. I'm hoping to have something in done for Akon this year.

But heres a few old pics...

Claw was a 2nd version test using Wonderflex and it ended up getting rushed done a few hours before we left for Afest I think.

From Akon a few years ago, I want to bring this back but I need to figure out a better way to see outside of it. I couldnt see poo poo and had to have a friend lead me around.

The most fun I've ever had in a costume.

Amory
Mar 10, 2011

SHELLSHOCK, PARALYSIS, SLEEPWALKING, any Child who is Backward in Study, and BAD HABITS of any kind PERMANENTLY REMOVED, Etc.
I was hoping for some advice, if anyone can offer some: I've recently joined a limp bizkit tribute band :cool: as Wes Borland (quick link for those unaware). I love going overboard with this kind of thing and I want to to have a go at making a couple of things, but could do with some make up/DIY costume advice.

1) I've no idea what kind of make up is appropriate for stage use. At our last gig I used standard water based snazaroo stuff, which has good coverage but comes off far too easily when it gets hot on stage. In this video you can see the type of thing he uses for mass coverage. If money wasn't an option I'd just try a load and see what works, but I'd rather get it mostly right first time if I can.

2) I think this shoulder pad is awesome and I'd love to have a go at making it, but I've no idea where to start. I'm thinking some kind of paper maché based around chicken wire?

Any advise/tips would be great from those more experienced, I'll post any progress I make :D

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I would make that shoulder pad out of upholstery foam, personally, and cover it with shiny
sequin fabric.

edit: And for anything on stage under hot lights you need the good theater makeup.

Our biggest con here (Otakon) is doing a Studio Ghibli movie marathon at one of the Smithsonians today for the cherry blossom festival, and they asked for volunteers to cosplay characters from the movies to interact with the people coming in :3: I'll be going as Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service and my brother will be a No-Face from Spirited Away. Rushed the poo poo out of these costumes because I have been out of the country, so they are a tiny bit bootleg, but hopefully we'll get some pictures!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Maybe some sort of sports padding. Check out a local sports store for ideas and then buy your poo poo used! (clean it well, though!)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'd definitely do the foam (EVA foam is my foam of choice) with fabric over it and not papier mache and chicken wire. Most foam can be heat-shaped, so you can blow it with a hair dryer or heat gun and warp it to that shape.

Amory
Mar 10, 2011

SHELLSHOCK, PARALYSIS, SLEEPWALKING, any Child who is Backward in Study, and BAD HABITS of any kind PERMANENTLY REMOVED, Etc.
Foam sounds like a much better idea. Getting second hand sports gear is also a good idea, although I'm in the UK and I don't think there's too much american football style pads around, will check ebay etc though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Amory posted:

Foam sounds like a much better idea. Getting second hand sports gear is also a good idea, although I'm in the UK and I don't think there's too much american football style pads around, will check ebay etc though.

You may have an easier time finding lacrosse pads, which are somewhat similar.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I just don't see the point of spending a lot of money trying to track down sports padding in the right shape when you can make them yourself for >$5...

Anyway, have a lovely picture of my brother and I from today at the Ghibli cosplay event! We had a great time scaring/aweing kids :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I just don't see the point of spending a lot of money trying to track down sports padding in the right shape when you can make them yourself for >$5...

I agree personally, but I know a lot of people are more confident when they have a pre-fab item to work from.

I need to wade into our craft room and clean it up so I can start working on costumes. We're not doing any cons this year, and the craft room has become a dumping ground for stuff we don't feel like sorting. But I want to get started for next year in the worst way.

My main obsession right now is historical pieces, and I really want to do Joan of Arc. I've built some armor pieces in the past, but I think a full suit of plate is going to be a challenge, so I want to give myself plenty of time. When I do get started I'll be sure to take photos and post about my progress. The current plan is to use mostly EVA foam. I liked it a lot while I was working on my Judge Hershey last year, and it's cheap and lightweight, which is pretty important when you're talking about possibly trudging around in it all day in Atlanta in August.

Also, I'm having a big internal debate. One of the stories about Joan was that she was followed around by clouds of butterflies, which people took as a sign of her divine inspiration. Would it be totally silly to rig something for the costume? Part of me thinks it would look really stupid, and part of me thinks it would be cool to have realistic butterflies suspended above and behind me.

This is going to be an ambitious costume for me, since I'm mostly a spandex and capes type of costumer. I've roughed out plans for 22 separate pieces of the armor alone, plus a standard on a pole. I'm debating whether I want to do a surcoat or not. And I have to decide what to wear underneath.

If I can get this together, I may ask a friend to let me borrow one of her horses for a photo shoot :)

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

My main obsession right now is historical pieces, and I really want to do Joan of Arc. I've built some armor pieces in the past, but I think a full suit of plate is going to be a challenge, so I want to give myself plenty of time. When I do get started I'll be sure to take photos and post about my progress. The current plan is to use mostly EVA foam. I liked it a lot while I was working on my Judge Hershey last year, and it's cheap and lightweight, which is pretty important when you're talking about possibly trudging around in it all day in Atlanta in August.

Also, I'm having a big internal debate. One of the stories about Joan was that she was followed around by clouds of butterflies, which people took as a sign of her divine inspiration. Would it be totally silly to rig something for the costume? Part of me thinks it would look really stupid, and part of me thinks it would be cool to have realistic butterflies suspended above and behind me.

This is going to be an ambitious costume for me, since I'm mostly a spandex and capes type of costumer. I've roughed out plans for 22 separate pieces of the armor alone, plus a standard on a pole. I'm debating whether I want to do a surcoat or not. And I have to decide what to wear underneath.

If I can get this together, I may ask a friend to let me borrow one of her horses for a photo shoot :)

Historic cosplay is the best. :hfive: Right now I'm going through a Rococo phase (the embroidery :byodame:), but Reconstruction is beginning to grip me again, so I'll probably be waffling for a while. Thinking about making some Gone With the Wind poo poo, but I dunno.

I think the butterfly idea sounds incredible and you should go for it. I'd make it a separate piece, though, so if people just don't get it or it becomes unwieldy during a long day you can remove it. Are you going to base your design on any particular media (game, movies, paintings, etc.)?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Are you going to base your design on any particular media (game, movies, paintings, etc.)?

Not in particular. I've been doing a lot of reading about her armor, and most of the images of her were painted/designed to reflect the style of their own time rather than anything historically accurate. I'm just going to find solid reference images of armor from her time and then base my design on that, with a little more feminine sculpting since she supposedly had hers made custom to fit a womanly figure.

I'm actually kind of glad to read some of the articles I've been finding, because making articulated armor for my hands and such was going to be a pain in the rear end. Turns out that hadn't even been invented during Joan's lifetime!

I've gotten to a point in my costuming where I do stuff because I think it's cool, not because I think anyone will "get" it. I had maybe three people recognize my Barbarella costume two years ago, and that was okay. I want to rework that costume eventually, I had to take some shortcuts I didn't like. But if nobody figures out what I'm supposed to be in my Joan, I'm alright with that. DragonCon has enough of a culture of costuming that if I do a good job, people will still like it even if they don't recognize it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Razorbunny, we're totally going to have to share tips and tricks because my current project is Hilde from SCIV, whose design is definitely based on Joan of Arc (think I posted her on page 1). I bet we'll have a ton of similar stuff to do. I'm behind in progress though because my semester is close to over and I'm miserably busy writing papers instead of building armor. Yuck.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Definitely!

I think I'm going to have to invest in a real dressmaker's form for this project, rather than using tape dummies and such. Especially since I'll probably need to do a fair amount of heat shaping.

And no matter how historically inaccurate it is, I am making all of my straps from nylon and using plastic squeeze-release buckles. They'll all be hidden underneath anyway, and I love being able to just hot-glue everything. My husband's Ezio costume has real leather strapping and metal buckles and it is a HUGE pain in the rear end to get him into it. I have no illusions about being able to put this armor on by myself (knights had squires for a reason), but I can certainly streamline the process.

I already have a shopping list started :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
You need to post pics of that Ezio costume. A friend of mine has been pestering me to make him one for years.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Rufus En Fuego posted:

You need to post pics of that Ezio costume. A friend of mine has been pestering me to make him one for years.

It's the licensed one from Museum Replicas, we didn't build it. I'll post some pics when I get home, though. Posting images from my tablet is a PITA.

I'm probably going to make him some replacement blades out of foam or polymer clay (for the throwing knives, not sure if I want to tackle replicating the sword). Even though the ones that came with the costume are dull, he's gotten a lot of crap over carrying them because they're real metal. Not sure what to do about the wrist blade :(

I actually wore it for a night at D*C last year, although it's kind of comically huge on me. If I ever wear it again I'm definitely using my real half-chaps from polo rather than the ones that came with the costume. They fit better AND they're velcro :)

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

MajorGravy posted:

Here's me (with a friend's Slimeblower on) and the rest of us after an awesome Ghostbuster's screening at a local cinema last week. One of my mate's friends went as an amazing Walter Peck :allears:

Ha, that's awesome. Everyone goes for the Busters, I'd like to see more people cosplay as other characters from the movie. Rick Moranis, perhaps? Complete with that funky brain-scanner. Or Carl Winslow.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Here you go, the Ezio!

This is me wearing it. We had to put a pair of socks inside the gauntlet to get it to stay on my little tiny wrists. The belt was hopelessly enormous, so I left it off.

And my husband:

(He's wearing tennis shoes - this is when the costume first arrived, and he didn't have the shoes lined up yet)

I like the second one :) He wore the costume to the ren faire and we stopped by the juggling booth. He has juggling bags that look a lot cooler than tennis balls, but he didn't bring them.

Also, this is one of my favorite "costumes" of his - he borrowed my Aperture tank top and a friend's jumpsuit (part of a Misfits costume) and carried our Portal gun around, horrifying cute girls in Chell costumes.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Is that the ren fair in Maryland? It looks insanely familiar.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Have you all seen this girl? There's an article about her on Yahoo right now. Her name's Promise Phan and she does the most amazing makeup transformations - a LOT of is has great cosplay applications. She even does Poison Ivy, Kitana and a Na'vi. She's incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dope2111

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

MajorGravy posted:

These are awesome. Have you guys made friends with RichH in Sydney yet? He'll have his 1960 Ecto running soon!

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 19, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Is that the ren fair in Maryland? It looks insanely familiar.

Yep!

I had some time to kill today and I was near a Michaels, so I bought a big pack of poster board, some more sponge brushes, and silver paint and rub n buff. I'll probably put in my order from McMaster-Carr sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Of course, I can't actually start anything until I clean the craft room :sigh:

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 19, 2012

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

Also, this is one of my favorite "costumes" of his - he borrowed my Aperture tank top and a friend's jumpsuit (part of a Misfits costume) and carried our Portal gun around, horrifying cute girls in Chell costumes.

Your husband is awesome. I can always appreciate a good joke cosplay. And I like how the Ezio outfit actually sorta fits with the ren faire!

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
What would be the best course of action if I want to put some text on fabric? I'm trying to make the S.T.A.R.S jacket for Chris Redfield from Resident Evil 1 and I have no idea how to do the actual logo on the back. Do I paint it? Take it to some kind of shop? Sharpie it on?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Honey Badger posted:

What would be the best course of action if I want to put some text on fabric? I'm trying to make the S.T.A.R.S jacket for Chris Redfield from Resident Evil 1 and I have no idea how to do the actual logo on the back. Do I paint it? Take it to some kind of shop? Sharpie it on?

Please don't paint it or sharpie it. I'm a professional screen printer who's really interested in helping cosplayers apply stuff to their costumes in better ways. Either do a freezer paper transfer, or else email me and even if my shop isn't suited to your job, I bet I can come up with ways to transfer your image more precisely than sharpie. My email is hannaherink at gmail dot com.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I'm not into cosplay nearly as much as I used to be. The last three or four years I've been pretty much dedicated to historical costuming, and mostly for the artistry of it.
I've been doing historical costuming for years . . . could we include historical stuff here? It seems silly to start a thread for something that might have only a few people posting to it, and I'd love to share some of the things my friends and I have done. On the other hand I don't want to clog up this thread with things that people won't really be interested in.

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Anyway, have a lovely picture of my brother and I from today at the Ghibli cosplay event! We had a great time scaring/aweing kids :3:

Welp, this thread rules now.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I figure any costume counts. I'd love to see historical stuff up in here, so I say post it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
It's easy enough to say you're cosplaying historical figure, too. At the Rev War reenactments I used to frequent we'd always sign a ledger with our historic names and a brief synopsis of who we were once upon a time. We interpreted real people...just not famous ones.

Cosplaying or interpreting...it's pretty much the same.

And if you want to get REALLY picky about it, cosplay means "costume play," and historic clothing was called "costume."

I think I'm done justifying. POST PRETTY PICTURES