Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Cross-posting from the small questions thread:

Can anyone help with font identification from an old-timey label? I'm reconditioning some old (circa 1930s) lamps and part of that process is recreating the original labels which were damaged beyond repair and got removed with the paint. I'm counting at least three fonts here but I have no idea where to start identifying what they are or close-enough analogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Try running the images through https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ and pick out various parts of the text to see what comes up. Some of the text is definitely custom work and/or squished (the "MODERNE" text in particular).

Thanks for the tip! It picked out the text just fine but none of the matches it came up with were terribly useful.

quote:

You could also attempt to contact the company that manufactured them as they're still around and might have some information or old images on file: https://www.brunswick.com/contact

This was the first thing I tried (it's Brunswick Billiards) but I got no response from that. They do have a fairly extensive online digitization of their back catalogs but nothing high resolution enough to pick out details.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

djssniper posted:

There would be a select amount of fonts available in that era, might be worth researching that

That's a good tip. I started looking into fonts tagged "1930s" at https://fontsinuse.com/ with some success so far...I think the REFLECTOR and TRADE MARK and MADE EXCLUSIVELY FOR texts are something similar to Franklin Gothic.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

After a bit of digging, it turns out it's both companies/websites! In fact it might be harder to find something these folks haven't manufactured in the last 200 years. They started with the intention of making carriages, got fascinated by billiards, expanded into toilet seats, tires, phonographs, and bowling equipment, eventually into yachts and boats, and more recently into... weapons and military equipment? This is a weird company.

Wow, I had no idea! That's pretty neat. I was limiting my research to Brunswick Billiards because these lamps are from a billiards hall, pictured in the left column second from the top:

quote:

What's the restoration of the lamps for? Personal hobby/historical record, or are you aiming for them to be props on a set or something?

Personal use. They were purchased by my grandfather in 1950 and have been collecting dust in basements for the last seventy years. I inherited the lamps (and a whole rear end billiard table to boot) in fairly poor condition and have been stripping them down and refinishing/rewiring so they can be used. There was no saving the original labels so I took a bunch of photos and measurements and have been recreating them in Inkscape. I'm never going to get a pixel-perfect recreation but that's not really my goal here anyway. They're just neat :unsmith:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Disreputable Dog posted:

Probably the exact fonts you're after aren't digitized and lost to time.

I'm late to replying but thanks for this! I ended up just winging it. Most of it ended up as various Franklin Gothics with the Kan-Tro-Lite as a Tavern Open that I modified in a few spots.