Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The only smaller kickstarters I backed were dead state (released but p bad) and Maia (developer claims it’s released but it’s as unplayable as it was in the initial demo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Most of a year later my post remains almost identical, although I didn't realize SpaceVenture still had a loving stupid twist in the can.

secretly best girl posted:

This did make me check in on the three two I still have open and boy did I eat poo poo on two.

Chromatose seems nearly complete and I suspect the holdup is that the lead dev was/is also involved in Sucker For Love, the gag Cthulhu dating sim from earlier this year. Can't blame them for doing a small project to change gears to prevent burnout. (Dev continues to do progress updates on this sporadically. Sounds like a little of the holdup is a backer reward design thing, they're still at work and apparently redoing some of the oldest art because "I got better at design working on Sucker for Love".)

Queen's Crown hosed us all, vanishing years ago and abandoning all social media accounts and the possibly-fake name associated with the project. When the best case scenario is "I guess they might have died?" you know your money is gone.

Two Guys SpaceVenture, the spiritual successor to Space Quest, has been released as such a complete and utter gaping train wreck that it's kind of amazing. The game came out for (Windows-only) backers in September and has not been placed on a single storefront since. Their own website doesn't even let you know it's out. This is baffling given that their final update states that sales through Steam and other platforms will be paying for the physical rewards which they didn't buy or manufacture ahead of time. I suspect that the other platform ports aren't done either.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 20, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DoctorTristan posted:

The only smaller kickstarters I backed were dead state (released but p bad) and Maia (developer claims it’s released but it’s as unplayable as it was in the initial demo)

I’m still miffed about Maia, as I bought the drat thing on steam. I thought it would become better!… nope. It’s weird and not in a good way.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I’m still miffed about Maia, as I bought the drat thing on steam. I thought it would become better!… nope. It’s weird and not in a good way.

It’s quite an amazing in a way - years and years of releases with patch notes like ‘added drill press’, ‘doors will now degrade over time and need repair’, ‘solar panels will now generate research (TODO: any use at all for that research)’ and never a ‘colonists will no longer starve to death standing in a fully stocked kitchen’ or ‘game is now very slightly fun to play’

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

secretly best girl posted:

Most of a year later my post remains almost identical, although I didn't realize SpaceVenture still had a loving stupid twist in the can.

They've been promising a patch for the backer release to fix more of the bugs and that's not happened either

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I backed a stack of games kickstarters that never delivered, Witchmarsh and Sealark in particular stung. I don't back games kickstarters any more.

Oasx posted:

Star Command was supposed to be released in 2012, the last update from the creator was 2020, I assume the game won't be finished.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-kickstart-part-2-the-pc-mac-space-adv/description

Same :smith:

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 20, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My misses were Barkley 2 (lol) and the cool looking retro racing game Drift Stage which if I remember right died because it was an artist and programmer and the programmer up and quit.

edit: what the hell Drift Stage released early access back in January? Looks like it's just whatever had been done when development paused like five years ago.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Despite the occasional failure I do think crowdfunding has been a net positive for the industry. Some of the best/most acclaimed games of recent years were crowdfunded (Hollow Knight, FTL, Shovel Knight, Undertale, Divinity: Original Sin, etc.) but even putting those aside, I've often had it happen where I finish some random game and watching the credits I'll see "Thanks to our backers" go by and think huh, this game was crowdfunded then, I had no idea. And it happens so often. I feel like the high profile failures can make it easy to forget that many (most?) games do release eventually, and are mostly drama-free. That's an absolute ton of games that otherwise might not have been made, I'm glad they're out there. I honestly wish I had the money to back more than I do.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Only Kickstarter game I really missed on was Liege, launched just a few months shy of 10 years ago. The creator claimed as recently as a few months ago that he was still working on it, but there haven't been any substantial updates in years.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lets see:

Moon Intern: This was before it was generally realized that 40K was not enough to fund a team, and that when they say this is all they need to fund it's usually a lie
Barkley 2: We love to see it
Roam:The creator had a meltdown over the release of 'How to Survive', believing they had stolen his idea. After that simmered, there was legal trouble with one of the former dev team members that they used KS money to pay for.
That Which Sleeps: The main dev lied massively about the state of the game and all the youtubes were potemkin villages and all the crazy emergent stuff the alpha testers were reporting was aspirational goals and there were no alpha testers. The other guy on the project had never actually seen the build. At least it inspired Shadows of Forbidden Gods, a solid one-man game that does 90% of what Sleeps wanted although comparatively kinda cruddy art and fluff writing
Project Resurgence: Turns out 180K is not enough to fund a team either
Southern Monsters: "In february, I was diagnosed with ADHD-"
Nighthawks-The Vampire RPG: Kickstarted in 2018, they still post semi-regular updates including one in february, I'm still counting this one though as two years in they posted an update that was "we think we've figured out the combat"

anyway I don't back things anymore

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Sway Grunt posted:

Despite the occasional failure I do think crowdfunding has been a net positive for the industry. Some of the best/most acclaimed games of recent years were crowdfunded (Hollow Knight, FTL, Shovel Knight, Undertale, Divinity: Original Sin, etc.) but even putting those aside, I've often had it happen where I finish some random game and watching the credits I'll see "Thanks to our backers" go by and think huh, this game was crowdfunded then, I had no idea. And it happens so often. I feel like the high profile failures can make it easy to forget that many (most?) games do release eventually, and are mostly drama-free. That's an absolute ton of games that otherwise might not have been made, I'm glad they're out there. I honestly wish I had the money to back more than I do.

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 were crowdfunded, and I consider those to be some of the best crpgs ever.

And I’m not exactly angry over having paid 20$ ten years ago for a Kickstarter that didn’t get finished.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Oasx posted:

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 were crowdfunded, and I consider those to be some of the best crpgs ever.

The crpg revival of the past decade is pretty much entirely due to Kickstarter/crowdfunding.

PIllars of Eternity 1 and 2, Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, Wasteland 2 and 3, Bard's Tale IV, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Encased, Shadowrun: Returns, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Hard West, Solasta: Crown of the Magister, Atom RPG, Lords of Xulima, and UnderRail. You could also throw in a few more that weren't Kickstarterd but definitely got made because of the resurgence in interest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

January 5th, 2022: "From this point on I will start providing an update once a month regardless of content that can be posted."

mhm

Anyways I have enjoyed backing some video games via kickstarter (Shadowrun Hong Kong) but not others

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MST3K and Rifftrax are not gaming but good Kickstarters.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

In hindsight Tim Schafer accidentally designing 3x too much game and having to explain once again that no, you should not believe a word Peter Molyneux says were the real highlights

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I've only backed 3 things, and for two of them I honestly didn't care if I ever got a release:

Wonderful 101: I figured backing an already finished game was a sure bet, and I was right. COVID caused absolute chaos for physical rewards tho. It actually worked out for me, cause I ordered the physical Switch version, and delays got me the Steam version for free so hey that's a win.
Flowstone Saga: I only backed cause a friend did some work on the game and I wanted to support her, looks like it's stuck in directionless indie development hell.
Cosmic Frontier: Override: It's actually a modern rewrite of the Escape Velocity: Override engine, by the original dev. It would be nice if this came out but eh, I backed to give the dev a few bucks as thanks for the original. Stuck in 'I underestimated dev costs so I'm working a day job' hell.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My favorite type of Kickstarter game update: "I have decided to switch engines and genes. This game will no longer be the top-down high speed action game you funded but a 3D experience that explores the emotions and journey of the character"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm pretty sure Friday Night Funkin is gonna be the next high profile failure, because man is that hitting all of the Classic Old Kickstarter problems headfirst.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I still backed it for a copy of the game but when I saw all the random bullshit rewards being floated I knew they were going to be in trouble. Still, what's out is good so if that's all we get I'm happy with it since it's led to a massive sufficient mod scene

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

fez_machine posted:

This is going to be a very good schadenfreude Kickstarter

The meme lord tone they've cultivated in their comments is going to bite them so hard in the rear end when they're two years behind and run out of budget and they have to troubleshoot why a sixteen-year-old backer's t-shirts haven't arrived yet

Their risks and challenges section inspires a lot of confidence that they have no ability to handle things at scale.

:synpa:

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 21, 2023

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've been pretty bad with physical merch.

I don't know the situation with those developers, but it *is* generally ill advised to send surveys out until you are 100% ready to produce the items with whatever manufacturer you're using. With Dropsy it became an enormous mess with people moving/changing email addresses/changing legal names/whatever because I sent out surveys right after the KS came out. I couldn't even make the posters without a finished worldmap, which I completed years later as the game was developed. A good quarter of the posters I sent out for the Dropsy Kickstarter were returned to me and emailing everyone to get their current address was a torturous process. There are still around ten returned posters at my dad's house waiting for people to claim them.

This was further compounded by Kickstarter's survey system being a bit crusty. It would've helped to have been able to send a direct message to backers asking them to make sure their survey info was current. I asked in an update but people don't read those, understandably.

About 10% of our backers just never filled out the surveys and sometimes I'd get an annoyed message from those folk asking "Where's my stuff?!" which made it even less fun. If I crowdfund again I'm definitely finding someone to handle that for me and adding that to the total budget.

Still haven't sent any Hypnospace merch either because I'm still working on it. I promised what was effectively a second smaller game as a physical edition pack-in. It's a neat project nonetheless and I hope people feel it was worth the wait. Fangamer are now helping with shirts too which is a major load off.

We did finish two good games, so at least there's that. :gonk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

My favorite type of Kickstarter game update: "I have decided to switch engines and genes. This game will no longer be the top-down high speed action game you funded but a 3D experience that explores the emotions and journey of the character"

I can't remember the name of the game but I can picture it in my mind perfectly - it looked really great and then they pivoted to 3D for no reason and it looked awful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can't remember the name of the game but I can picture it in my mind perfectly - it looked really great and then they pivoted to 3D for no reason and it looked awful.
Risk of Rain 2

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

No Wave posted:

Risk of Rain 2

No that one is good they probably mean the hyperspace drifter sequel that is for some reason a 3D procedurally generated action platformer

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Risk of Rain 2 is very good and I have way too many hours in it. The game I'm thinking of started as a really active 2d top down game where you had a huge scythe and then transitioned to a 3d game that looked nothing like that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Risk of Rain 2 is very good and I have way too many hours in it. The game I'm thinking of started as a really active 2d top down game where you had a huge scythe and then transitioned to a 3d game that looked nothing like that.

I know the one you mean, that was a complete bait and switch lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kologeon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thank you - knew it started with a K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cleK6Sv2lfw

This was what they changed it to:

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 21, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd never heard of it until just now and I'm already disappointed.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it was Kologeon, I don't know if any other game went down that path but I wouldn't be surprised. Probably a case of the author's interest shifting to be like the last game he played. He probably played some fast-paced top down action game before writing the campaign and then got big into some kind of narrative/walking simulator type games midway through development. Seems like something that could easily happen to solo developers.

I never backed it or even heard of it before this incident but I too felt the pain the backers must have felt. Just the most powerful way of destroying a project, even more so than the sole programmer leaving.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Everytime I get an update about Unsung Story I'm always surprised it's not dead. Just kill that drat thing already there's no way it's not going to be total poo poo at this point anyway.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah it was Kologeon, I don't know if any other game went down that path but I wouldn't be surprised. Probably a case of the author's interest shifting to be like the last game he played. He probably played some fast-paced top down action game before writing the campaign and then got big into some kind of narrative/walking simulator type games midway through development. Seems like something that could easily happen to solo developers.

I never backed it or even heard of it before this incident but I too felt the pain the backers must have felt. Just the most powerful way of destroying a project, even more so than the sole programmer leaving.

My assumption in cases like this are that they discovered their initial thing was way harder to make than they thought it would be so they moved to something that they felt would be easier to do.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i remember when kologeon first was announced and thinking "this gameplay looks all flash and probably isn't very fun to actually play" so i didn't back it

dodged a bullet on that one. didn't they say some "this was always the plan" garbage when they showed off the 3d change?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

i remember when kologeon first was announced and thinking "this gameplay looks all flash and probably isn't very fun to actually play" so i didn't back it

dodged a bullet on that one. didn't they say some "this was always the plan" garbage when they showed off the 3d change?

According to the story I saw looking for the screenshot of the 3rd version the 2d pitch didn't fit the vision they actually had.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Ithaka of the Clouds' campaign was 10 years ago!
Some semi recent comments about remastering the old games, but I have to expect nothing at this point.

quote:

Ithaka of the Clouds is the story of two Trolls and their journey across the Lands of Dream, inspired by the poetry of Cavafy. It was successfully crowdfunded in 2013 and is set to be released in 2014.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've been pretty bad with physical merch.

I don't know the situation with those developers, but it *is* generally ill advised to send surveys out until you are 100% ready to produce the items with whatever manufacturer you're using. With Dropsy it became an enormous mess with people moving/changing email addresses/changing legal names/whatever because I sent out surveys right after the KS came out. I couldn't even make the posters without a finished worldmap, which I completed years later as the game was developed. A good quarter of the posters I sent out for the Dropsy Kickstarter were returned to me and emailing everyone to get their current address was a torturous process. There are still around ten returned posters at my dad's house waiting for people to claim them.

This was further compounded by Kickstarter's survey system being a bit crusty. It would've helped to have been able to send a direct message to backers asking them to make sure their survey info was current. I asked in an update but people don't read those, understandably.

About 10% of our backers just never filled out the surveys and sometimes I'd get an annoyed message from those folk asking "Where's my stuff?!" which made it even less fun. If I crowdfund again I'm definitely finding someone to handle that for me and adding that to the total budget.

Still haven't sent any Hypnospace merch either because I'm still working on it. I promised what was effectively a second smaller game as a physical edition pack-in. It's a neat project nonetheless and I hope people feel it was worth the wait. Fangamer are now helping with shirts too which is a major load off.

We did finish two good games, so at least there's that. :gonk:

You realize, of course, the instant you finally get the final item out the door, all the people clamoring for their physical rewards are just going to go back to bugging you about Dropsy DLC.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

EricFate posted:

You realize, of course, the instant you finally get the final item out the door, all the people clamoring for their physical rewards are just going to go back to bugging you about Dropsy DLC.

We released that last year!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

Same, I looked at how big the game area was and how fast you were moving and figured it would be hell to actually play.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
For those who remember Project Phoenix, someone released an old interview that was never published until now:

https://www.timeextension.com/features/the-man-behind-the-usd1-million-vapourware-rpg-project-phoenix

It’s very interesting to read this in hindsight knowing that the project would be a massive debacle and never released!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Original_Z posted:

For those who remember Project Phoenix, someone released an old interview that was never published until now:

https://www.timeextension.com/features/the-man-behind-the-usd1-million-vapourware-rpg-project-phoenix

It’s very interesting to read this in hindsight knowing that the project would be a massive debacle and never released!

Notably, the interviewer is the author of The Untold History of Video Game Designers which had its own contentious kickstarter campaign.