Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kwadrat
Jan 4, 2014
Threw some more stuff in, as per suggestions. Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to get on that wiki page asap Tsilkani, shame there don't seem to be any direct links to files with that one.

Does anybody know what exactly I need to change in the
code:
showthread.php?threadid=3473530&userid=170826&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post423383698
to make a link to the general thread, without the userid post filter? Is there a workaround or do I need to just gauge the page by the post date and just find the post as I have been doing? (basically turn THIS into THIS)

I haven't seen the Wild West icons but I recall the 31st Age has at least one separate thread with the icons, setting and such nicely formatted. This recruitment post by Majuju might have been the one I had in mind.

Is it time for a new thread then?

P.S. After seeing the first two replies in tandem I was convinced I committed a fatal faux pas with my first post. I'm still a wee, concerned :baby:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know if I ever posted the full lineup of my oilpunk pirate icons here but they ended up on the blog anyway.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone have some advice on building solos in 13th Age? I'm converting the Way of the Wicked adventures, and there are a few "boss fights" where it just doesn't make sense to add a bunch of minions or other enemies. Does it work to just use a triple-strength monster and give it some extra attacks and ways to shake off conditions, much like a late-4E solo?

kwadrat
Jan 4, 2014

Selachian posted:

Anyone have some advice on building solos in 13th Age? I'm converting the Way of the Wicked adventures, and there are a few "boss fights" where it just doesn't make sense to add a bunch of minions or other enemies. Does it work to just use a triple-strength monster and give it some extra attacks and ways to shake off conditions, much like a late-4E solo?

I think you have the right idea, extra attacks for variety and special triggers on staggered and other status effects. Escalation die triggers. Interrupt actions on particular PC rolls maybe?

The main concern in the case of a solo is the fact it has only one turn to lay waste on the party AND is the only target of the party. It's not really fun to balance it with a one-shot-KO mechanic in my opinion, neither is making it an arbitrarily super-tanky enemy for the sake of ensuring longevity. I would opt for making the Boss "react" to the attacks in some way - retaliate on certain damage tresholds, get a free action on very poor or very good PC rolls, etc. More dice tracking than usual but then it's only for a singular enemy.

PlasmaMan in a side session for the LP 13th Age campaign has done an amazing boss battle with a clone mechanic and a dynamic boss arena. See here (boss battle starts at 00:31:02).

If you have access to the 13th Age Bestiary, take a look at the Void Dragon entry:

"Bestiary, p. 18 posted:

C: Ensorceling breath +12 vs. PD (1d3 nearby enemies)— 24
damage, and the dragon’s breath coalesces into two small void
beasts of rapidly shifting form (see below)

Miss: The dragon’s breath coalesces into one small void beast
(see below).

Void beasts: Each beast appears next to the dragon, acts as it wishes,
and enters the initiative order after the next two creatures have
taken their turns. See void beast stats at end of the entry.

Limited use: 1/battle, as a quick action.
This creates fodder for the fight without you having to worry about inventing guards, helpers, etc.

Alternatively, there was this interesting idea for making "a solo that isn't a solo". Wouldn't work for any kind of enemy, but is worth considering.

EDIT: I actually completely forgot that Ironicus went with mookpooling tentacles for the River Devil or however that thing was called. Good memory Roach Warehouse.

kwadrat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 30, 2014

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Similarly, earlier in the same LP General Ironicus made a giant squid-type monster and I believe its head functioned as a "boss" while its tentacles were a mook pool. Which I think is a pretty delightful idea that could potentially apply to a variety of giant solo monsters.

e: whoops, I see now that kwadrat already covered something similar to that.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

kwadrat posted:

If you have access to the 13th Age Bestiary, take a look at the Void Dragon entry:

All of the Black Dragons in the Bestiary have some kind of "Solo+" mechanic to make them function as single-target threats. If you're going to pick a Black Dragon to model, though, I recommend the Empyrean Dragon. It has all multi-attack powers with GM choice as to what effect is most useful for any given attack, a breath weapon that makes players pick between two equally obnoxious condition options and then it powers up its crit range when staggered. Rather than trying to last a long time to make the encounter interesting, the intent is to pack as much crazy as possible into the first couple rounds and go for 'memorable' over 'hard', though the ugly choice on the breath weapon and the sudden crit range increase should go a long way towards helping with that. Fish used it at the end of one our short-form campaigns and I didn't even recognize it when it hit the table. Good battle.

(As an amusing piece of trivia, the Empyrean Dragon's use-when-staggered power is named for and based on an NPC spell from Chrono Trigger.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The current organized play has a solo monster that rolls 2d20 to hit like a barbarian's rage (three attacks per round), then gets a bonus attack on a crit. There's also a monster that does things on an even hit or odd miss, so using stuff like that would be good to look into.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I remember Myrmidong's DTAS writeup somehow being slightly different from the original wording; below are links to Ryven's article, some discussion, and the character sheet.

Death to Ability Scores by Ryven Cedrylle (Discussion)
Character Sheet (PDF) (Scribus)

ps. here is a reinterpretation of HP as "Fate" that someone made in a previous thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473530&pagenumber=108&perpage=40#post418431779

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Since we're talking resources, here's another reminder that a blank map would be handy.

Jackard posted:

Is there a map available of the 13th Age without the text and symbols? I'm planning a campaign for a younger age.

waderockett posted:

That's...huh. That would be really cool and useful, wouldn't it? There isn't currently, but let me ask the gods.

waderockett posted:

I just phoned Simon and the map is not currently available for download, with or without the text/symbols. But he thinks it's a good idea (especially if it comes with some additional content) and will talk to Fire Opal.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

kwadrat posted:

Threw some more stuff in, as per suggestions. Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to get on that wiki page asap Tsilkani, shame there don't seem to be any direct links to files with that one.

Does anybody know what exactly I need to change in the
code:
showthread.php?threadid=3473530&userid=170826&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post423383698
to make a link to the general thread, without the userid post filter? Is there a workaround or do I need to just gauge the page by the post date and just find the post as I have been doing? (basically turn THIS into THIS)

I haven't seen the Wild West icons but I recall the 31st Age has at least one separate thread with the icons, setting and such nicely formatted. This recruitment post by Majuju might have been the one I had in mind.

Is it time for a new thread then?

P.S. After seeing the first two replies in tandem I was convinced I committed a fatal faux pas with my first post. I'm still a wee, concerned :baby:.

I can also dig up the RPG.net threads they were originally posted in if that'd work better.

You should be able to remove the userid part by removing the "&userid=170826" part, the ampersands are what separate the various filters.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

One of my players playtested the necromancer during our last session. You can see some of the class' talents and spells (sans mechanics) on his Obsidian Portal page. The Bones Beneath is a spell that causes mooks' skeletons to rip free from their bodies and serve you. I love this class so goddamn much. I don't know how close it is to public playtesting, but I hope it's soon.

The April Page XX is out, with a free dungeon from ASH that got cut from Shards of the Broken Sky, some advice on creating icons for published settings from me, awesome new fan-made Rogue, Bard and Fighter power decks, and an organized play update. Also, there's a slew of status updates in Simon's View from the Pelgrane's Nest including:

The 13th Age Bestiary is with the printers, on target for a May / early June delivery date.

13 True Ways is finally in layout. A non-laid out PDF version should be out to backers in the next couple of weeks. I don't know yet whether pre-order customers will get a PDF in advance of the print copy.

ASH turned over the manuscript for "Shards of the Broken Sky" to Rob for editing after 13 True Ways is out of layout.

Also in Rob's inbox: The Book of Loot, with icon-themed items.

Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan's adventure "Make Your Own Luck" will be available exclusively at participating retailers for Free RPG Day June 21. If you don't have a participating FLGS in your area, we might release the PDF down the road.

Eyes of the Stone Thief is in art direction.

Cartographer Pär Lindstrom is producing maps for Cal Moore's 1st level adventure Shadows of Eldolan, and a rough draft of the cover is linked in the post.

waderockett fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 9, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What do people use for character sheets?

I feel like I've seen more floating around than the half dozen or so on 13thage.org, but damned if I can find them now that I go looking.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

One of my players playtested the necromancer during our last session. You can see some of the class' talents and spells (sans mechanics) on his Obsidian Portal page. The Bones Beneath is a spell that causes mooks' skeletons to rip free from their bodies and serve you.

That sound you just heard was the noise of a vacuum being attached to my wallet.

E: Having remembered all the other problems with the playtest, I do hope they took the clunky monk complaints to heart at least.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 1, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RPZip posted:

That sound you just heard was the noise of a vacuum being attached to my wallet.

E: Having remembered all the other problems with the playtest, I do hope they took the clunky monk complaints to heart at least.

Agreed, but with the Druid.

I'm still surprised that the Owlbear Stance adventurer feat hasn't been adjusted slightly.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Whoah now, I was positing that being a Magical Bird Turned Into An Elf was as mechanically robust as being Literally Batman, not that it was as awesome. I like Kele the Bird, but he was not a problem solver.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
I'm playing a Theurge in a game next week, and I was looking at the Magic attack and noticed it targeted AC, which seemed weird to me since most magic attacks target PD. Is this for balance reasons?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Icecream Jane posted:

I'm playing a Theurge in a game next week, and I was looking at the Magic attack and noticed it targeted AC, which seemed weird to me since most magic attacks target PD. Is this for balance reasons?

Yep. The Theurge uses (mechanical) weapon rules to hit with (flavor) magic, therefore it targets AC. There are two things the Theurge can't do to make sure it leaves room for other classes mechanically - ongoing damage and targeting secondary defenses. With the escalation die, I don't care too much if it only ever targets AC. You'll get in your hits good and proper.

RyvenCedrylle fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 1, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Here are some work-in-progress guidelines that add more 'meat' to Adventurer-tier towns and merchants. Previous discussion begins here. I'm borrowing some ideas from Variant Gear/Equipment Rules. Thinking about eventually making cards as playing aids.

Bonuses gained from equipment may stack with those from services if DTAS is being used. Otherwise, use whichever is higher. Players must make an environment check or use an icon relationship to locate uncommon purchases.

EQUIPMENT
In the case of failing background checks, gear loss is presented as a "fail-forward" option to the DM. Garb counts as unarmored and cannot be changed during combat.
    Traveling Gear ... 5g
    +1 equipment bonus to recovery rolls made while quick resting.

Climbing Gear ... 5g
    +2 equipment bonus to related background checks.

Loose/Winter Garb ... 3g
    Ignore reduced recoveries when traveling in hot/cold climates.

Explorers Garb ... 5g
    Drink a potion as a quick action once every full rest.

Trade Tools ... 50g
    +1 equipment bonus to related background checks. Sold in urban environments. Examples include Alchemists, Butchers, Healers, Merchants, Navigators, etc.

Masterwork Trade Tools ... 100g
    +2 equipment bonus to related background checks. Not commonly available.

SERVICES
These temporary bonuses last until the next full rest.
    Benediction ...
    +1 circumstance bonus to death saves. Available to those of shared faith.

Hearty Meal ... 1g
    +2 circumstance bonus to recovery rolls.

Monster Tracker ...
    Hiring this follower adds +2 circumstance bonus to checks concerning exotic beasts. Not commonly available.

Wilderness Guide ...
    Hiring this follower adds +2 circumstance bonus to checks concerning the local area, from people to places.
Any suggestions?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 2, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jackard posted:

Loose/Winter Garb ... 3g
Ignore reduced recoveries when traveling in hot/cold climates.

What? I just had a quick skim through the book and don't see this anywhere. What's this about?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

djw175 posted:

What? I just had a quick skim through the book and don't see this anywhere. What's this about?
Ah, a house rule I forgot to mention. Extreme climates temporarily reducing max recoveries by 1-2.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jackard posted:

Ah, a house rule I forgot to mention. Extreme climates temporarily reducing max recoveries by 1-2.

Why would you do this?! 13th Age combat is built around a minimum of 8 recoveries.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

djw175 posted:

Why would you do this?! 13th Age combat is built around a minimum of 8 recoveries.

I imagine 'to represent the effects of extreme climate on readiness'? I mean, there's a reason it's a houserule, and it's probably 'this makes trudging 10 miles in the snow have a mechanical consequence.' It's not for everyone, the same way obsessively tracking ammo isn't for everyone, but it hardly seems worth of a whole lot of surprise.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

djw175 posted:

I'm guessing to emulate a genre where part of the drama comes from being challenged by the environment itself.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

waderockett posted:

I'm guessing to emulate a genre where part of the drama comes from being challenged by the environment itself.

But it's only 5 gold to completely ignore it! It just seems like a thing to punish someone who didn't have the foresight to say "I'm spending my 5 gold on this." I'd just have my player roleplay it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

djw175 posted:

But it's only 5 gold to completely ignore it! It just seems like a thing to punish someone who didn't have the foresight to say "I'm spending my 5 gold on this." I'd just have my player roleplay it.

That's fun for some people, man.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

djw175 posted:

If the item is available and the party has the resources, sure. But if the Archmage just teleported you to the tundra, or you're in a hellhole that's unnaturally hot all the time, or you just escaped Drakkenhall through an enchanted window and got dumped somewhere with bad weather and you're not dressed for it, hey, it's gonna apply.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

djw175 posted:

While not a house-rule I would use, I don't quite understand why you find this so upsetting either. It probably just works for his campaign.

Oh! So, the kickstarter's saying that 13 True Ways is almost finalized for printing. Is that accurate? I mean, we still haven't seen three of the new classes hit playtest (though, as I understand, the Necromancer is coming quite soon). Still, I'm excited to get my hands on it.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 2, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

djw175 posted:

I just threw that price out there, we haven't tested it yet.

Also what palecur said - brainstorming minor Unarmored bonuses and exotic environment mechanics

palecur posted:

It's not for everyone, the same way obsessively tracking ammo isn't for everyone, but it hardly seems worth of a whole lot of surprise.
I saw a pretty neat ammunition rule before, don't remember the specifics but it was something like "player chooses to run out of ammo to turn a miss into a hit" or something so you didn't have to track each shot (something better left to a computer game)

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 2, 2014

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

So, the kickstarter's saying that 13 True Ways is almost finalized for printing. Is that accurate? I mean, we still haven't seen three of the new classes hit playtest (though, as I understand, the Necromancer is coming quite soon). Still, I'm excited to get my hands on it.

Finished chapters are going into layout now, and Simon's asked me to write the back cover copy. Both the necromancer and chaos mage are close to public playtest. Simon's announced that backers will get an Escalation Edition type pre-layout PDF in about two weeks, so you can expect someone's home to burn down. No final word on what pre- order customers will get.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

waderockett posted:

Finished chapters are going into layout now, and Simon's asked me to write the back cover copy. Both the necromancer and chaos mage are close to public playtest. Simon's announced that backers will get an Escalation Edition type pre-layout PDF in about two weeks, so you can expect someone's home to burn down. No final word on what pre- order customers will get.

Awesome, thanks wade!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

waderockett posted:

Chaos Mage? Where's my beautiful Chaos Shaman? Was he even real in the first place? No one knows.

Also super excited to see the Necro and Chaos Whatever up for playtesting, as well as what the Monk and Druid will look like in their finalized versions.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Details about the Occultist would be pretty cool too, I've got players that definitely would identify with demoncraft.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

djw175 posted:

As I read it, it's 5 gold and you have to forego wearing your armor. That's actually a serious penalty for some classes, and an interesting tradeoff of recoveries for AC. So what if the specific gold cost is negligible at that point.

As for 13 True Ways, I am super curious to se how the Occultist and Chaos Thing are set up to be new and different from the existing caster classes. For some reason I find myself wanting to see the Occultist use Recoveries as an offensive resource, just because it's a thing that no other class does and creates some interesting tensions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I haven't paid much attention, but is the Monk still disappointing/a mess of archaic mechanics, depending on how lenient you want to voice that particular opinion?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't paid much attention, but is the Monk still disappointing/a mess of archaic mechanics, depending on how lenient you want to voice that particular opinion?

It got a little bit better but still has some issues at the very core of the class since someone on the design team's still hasn't been beaten down about their boner for MAD. Like the forms are interesting again, the talents are neat, Ki points actually do things but the basic math is still kind of hosed because you're still a Front line fighter (Need Con) who hits with Dex, does damage based on Str, where your attack's features are based on Ki (Which are Wis based), so the core math is really swingy and aggravating if you didn't happen to roll really good stats. They created a really dumb band-aid patch by giving the monk player another free +2 to a stat but even then that just ensures you can do 2-3 things out of 4 of the Core Features Of Your Class, aka The things this class is supposed to be specifically good at.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

As I read it, it's 5 gold and you have to forego wearing your armor. That's actually a serious penalty for some classes, and an interesting tradeoff of recoveries for AC. So what if the specific gold cost is negligible at that point.
You know, they list Unarmored/Light for everyone, but fail to give heavier armor classes any reason to go without. No distinction between different types of armor and weapons, hardly even magical ones. There should be something or why include it?

Same goes for the gear section: filler without mechanics to back it up. And all the garbage worth less than a gold coin, what was the thinking there? We're clearly not aiming for a simulation with 13th Age.

At least there are a few useful bits, like the mention of local customs or passage between cities.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 2, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Jackard posted:

You know, they list Unarmored/Light for everyone, but fail to give heavier armor classes any reason to go without. No distinction between different types of armor and weapons, hardly even magical ones. There should be something or why include it?

The idea of drawbacks for wearing armor always seems like it starts in the right place, but then fails to account for classes that don't get their AC from heavy armor. This was a huge sore spot for me in 3.5 (oh good, another enemy with touch attacks. Now everyone in plate armor effectively has less AC than the rogue), and while it was better in 4E it still kinda sucked that heavy armor made you slower and useless at say, not falling into the trap pit because your acrobatics (or whatever the hell was effected by armor checks) sucked.

Obviously this is even less of an issue here and on top of that it's a very niche scenario, but I think it's something to keep in mind.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

GruntyThrst posted:

(or whatever the hell was effected by armor checks)

STR-, CON-, and DEX-based skills, in 4e. It's a lot simpler when you organized skills by key ability rather than alphabetically, but of course that wasn't the default for character sheets :rolleye:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

CaptainPsyko posted:

As for 13 True Ways, I am super curious to se how the Occultist and Chaos Thing are set up to be new and different from the existing caster classes. For some reason I find myself wanting to see the Occultist use Recoveries as an offensive resource, just because it's a thing that no other class does and creates some interesting tensions.

Well in that case, unless you're the kind of DM who just wants to kill your players, you have to counter-intuitively make encounters in such an area weaker because the folks either have less AC or recoveries. Also, the whole caster supremacy problem comes up because casters don't tend to wear armor so this doesn't hurt them in the least while it hurts the melee folks a bunch. Coincidentally, they're also the ones who tend to need all their recoveries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Chaos Mage? Where's my beautiful Chaos Shaman? Was he even real in the first place? No one knows.

Yep, Rob addresses that in a sidebar which I will reprint in its teaserrific fullness:

Rob Heinsoo posted:

Originally this class was meant to be a chaos shaman. I pictured it as a wild spellcaster who was involved with the Orc Lord and goblins. Not a bad concept, but more limited than I wanted, in the end, and the artists kept confusing the chaos shaman with the druid. Moving to a chaos mage opened the full range of magic.

If you have your heart set on playing a chaos shaman, start with the Trace of the Divine talent. If you want a Warp talent, choose Defensive Warp or Iconic Warp. If you’d rather skip the warps, go for Separate Existence (helpful for getting spells off while under pressure) and either Touch of Wizardry or Stench of Necromancy.

Emphasize shamanic stories and special effects and the shaman will be with you.

• Locked thread