Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Have any of you sent emails in even though it says that they're not doing another round of playtesters until April?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Unfortunately, to do the Intercept move, you have to roll a d20 and get 11+, which is a recurring theme in the playtest. It seems like a lot of extra die rolling when 4e felt like it was eliminating as many dice as it could.
Yeah, I'm extremely curious how that plays out at the table. It feels like lots of d20 checks, but it uses pretty much MM3 math and also looks to have simpler monsters, escalation mechanics, less modifiers and status effects, and quicker positioning. Also looks like players won't be hunting for dice depending on the power. It's a d20, your weapon dice, and sometimes a d6 for targets, unless I've missed something.

quote:

Plus I just hate d3's
Wait, you don't just use a d6?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think his point is that using d6s as d3s is possible but still feels slightly clunky in play. It's fine to use on occasion, but it'd be annoying to use frequently.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
/\/\/\ edit: yeah, that makes sense. d4 probably wouldn't break things over the knee...

Mikan posted:

Rope Trick :stare:

Thankfully, it lays out the number of battles that should take place to sufficiently deplete a party's resources and what "sacrifices" a party may make if they choose to sleep without pushing themselves.

"Welp I guess the virgin princess is now a demiwarelich. But I'm sure you had a very nice bubble bath in your pocket universe."

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

To be fair it sounds like the most comfortable pocket universe

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

fosborb posted:

Wait, you don't just use a d6?

I do use a d6 and cut it in half, but I can't articulate why I hate it. I tried to earlier to a friend and I just can't. I guess I don't like dividing the die by 2, but it's not like it's hard. I also don't like d4's.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mikan posted:

To be fair it sounds like the most comfortable pocket universe

Well poo poo now I can only see wizards as Ulillillia.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

I also don't like d4's.

Well that's fine, nobody likes d4s

More like dcaltrops

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Unfortunately, to do the Intercept move, you have to roll a d20 and get 11+, which is a recurring theme in the playtest. It seems like a lot of extra die rolling when 4e felt like it was eliminating as many dice as it could.

Is it that you have to roll an 11+ to get it to work, or that you have to get an 11+ on your attack roll for it to work? I read it as the later.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is it that you have to roll an 11+ to get it to work, or that you have to get an 11+ on your attack roll for it to work? I read it as the later.

Says it's a normal saving throw (11+).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that's less impressive then.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Rasamune posted:

Well that's fine, nobody likes d4s

More like dcaltrops

I have a red and white candycane d4 and a trans-purple glitter d4 and I love them thank you very much :colbert:

This is exciting though, between this and iron kingdoms I won't need 5e at all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's once per round, and free. If you could do it more than half the time, you'd be rocketing around the board like an ADHD pinball.

I'm of two minds about this thread existing. On the one hand, they seemed to want insulated readings / rulings to gauge feedback. On the other hand, gently caress this is awesome I want to share every part of it with everybody.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Can y'all tell why it's named 13th Age yet, I'm puzzled. :(

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
'Cause it's designed for children up to age 13, just like 4e. :v:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

moths posted:

I'm of two minds about this thread existing. On the one hand, they seemed to want insulated readings / rulings to gauge feedback. On the other hand, gently caress this is awesome I want to share every part of it with everybody.

Same. I don't want to get into too much Defense of the Thread, but I posted because: playtest feedback will be categorically different from SA chat, hashing out rules on a message board with a larger community is actually a part of how I engage in social gaming now, and the 5e playtest caught them off guard but I still want to hype this game in juxtaposition to what 5e appears to offer.

That last point comes off a bit arrogant, but the nda leaves this thread open, there seems to be light online and official presence so far, and it deserves to have some prerelease hype drat it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vanadium posted:

Can y'all tell why it's named 13th Age yet, I'm puzzled. :(

Part of the fluff. Civilization is in its 13th Age.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Is there a Goblinoid Civilization Age? Best thing about Eberron.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah my first bit of playtest feedback is to modify things to use a d4 rather then a d3.

Thoughts:

I hate Rob Heinsoo. I was working on a lot of ideas which are, surprise surprise, exactly the god drat same here. Parallel development, as it goes 4e > Gamma World > 13th Age.

I think its possible to have compellingly tactical combat without a grid, but I wonder if it would be easy to convert to open tabletop, Warhams style, without breaking things too much.

I wonder about the surge mechanic. Healing surges just exist so that they are a resource that can be depleted. Depleted resources are there to increase tension. A lot of indie games realize this - you can increase tension in pretty simple ways though, without resources. Dread, for example, is Jenga which means things get progressively more difficult until something terrible happens.

I'd like to see a Fatigue system instead. I think it would tie nicely into what they are doing with fighters. By Fatigue system, I mean the more encounters you have, interaction or combat or exploration, the more Fatigue builds up; a rising source of tension, rather then a managed resource you are trying not to lose. Works better for a narrative game, and I hate tracking of poo poo.

The damage expressions can be really swingy; obviously thats why it says to take the averages of the dice.

A mechanic for the resolution of non-combat stuff which is as fun and game-ey as the combat stuff.

I dunno I will report on more once I get the rules fully :( I'm in the playtest but they didn't arrive yet.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I am 100% fine with it not being on a grid, as I find that's a lot easier for online play, which is what I end u doing most of the time since I moved back to SoCal (the area I'm in is a wasteland for tabletop gaming). Grid combat can be fun, but I like it being optional rather then assumed, and that was one of my hold ups on 4e.

moths posted:

It's once per round, and free. If you could do it more than half the time, you'd be rocketing around the board like an ADHD pinball.

Having played a vanguard in Mass Effect, this is pretty much exactly what I want to do, though. I want to charge an enemy. And then explode. And then charge another enemy. Just constantly bouncing everywhere. And then exploding.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

ProfessorCirno posted:

I am 100% fine with it not being on a grid, as I find that's a lot easier for online play, which is what I end u doing most of the time since I moved back to SoCal (the area I'm in is a wasteland for tabletop gaming). Grid combat can be fun, but I like it being optional rather then assumed, and that was one of my hold ups on 4e.

I agree, I would just like to see if it would even be feasible to convert it to open tabletop play. That way I can borrow all of my local gaming store's warhammer terrain to create awesome battle scenes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

You know, now that I actually think about it, it seems like an easy fix would just be coins. For every awesome ability that seems hamstrung by unnecessary rolling, just have them flip a coin. they get a heads, it works. Quicker, easier, and maintains pretty much the exact same success/failure rate.

Catastropost
Feb 17, 2011

by angerbrat
Add me to the 'missed the playtest' crew, I emailed them the other day, but I suspect they were full before then.

I also wanna stress that this is it's own game on it's own terms. Part of the problem with 5e is it's stated goals. This game should not be judged on it's own terms and merits.

Notably, not every game needs grid combat. Grid combat is awesome in 4e, but this is not 5e, and it's not claiming to be a perfect fit for everyone's pre-existing preferences.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

fosborb posted:

Part of the fluff. Civilization is in its 13th Age.

How interweaved is the fluff to the mechanics? Are there classes or abilities that are there to reflect specific elements unique to the fluff, or I can just lift the mechanics and drop them inside Eberron, for example, with no problem?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Rexides posted:

How interweaved is the fluff to the mechanics? Are there classes or abilities that are there to reflect specific elements unique to the fluff, or I can just lift the mechanics and drop them inside Eberron, for example, with no problem?

It has a race of golems called Dwarf-forged. I don't think using it in Eberron will be an issue.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

From what I hear they sent out more playtest stuff to some of the people who sent in their confirmations but didn't actually get the documents. If you're still waiting shoot them an email with your original confirmation to make sure you didn't get left off the list by mistake.

Rexides posted:

In general you can lift and drop, though might want to do something with the Icons and relationships. It would probably be easy to swap them out for Eberron-specific important things.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mikan posted:

In general you can lift and drop, though might want to do something with the Icons and relationships. It would probably be easy to swap them out for Eberron-specific important things.

I think the Icons are generic enough that you could map them to pretty much any setting and make them work without much need for rework.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Also the Icons own. Orc Lord Supremacy

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I really want to do an in-depth write up of everything in here; the rules are interesting (even if there are already a few things I want changed/reworked), the implied setting is The Coolest and there's already a bunch of advice/writeups/designer commentary. I didn't expect the playtest document to be so thorough.
Unfortunately a section by section writeup is probably totally against the rules and I don't want to get in trouble.

The better news is I might actually be running a game of it for my group tonight so gotta make up some pregen characters.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mikan posted:

Unfortunately a section by section writeup is probably totally against the rules[quote]
Agreed, as much as I want to do that as well. We're now the first hit for 13th Age after Pelgrane's pages...

The setting is Grade A. There are (at least at this point) very few Big Events in the fluff. It's more about setting up pieces for the players to interact with. Icons are the best example and where I think a lot of the innovation in the system rests.

The problem with lots of D&D settings is that there are all these big bad rear end NPCs like the Lady of Pain and Elminster that the PCs have to try to carve out a space around. 13th Age embraces these personified plot devices and addresses the issue two ways:

1) like Eberron, the most powerful entities of the land are not powerful because of their character levels. They have vast organizations and seats of power and followers. They aren't stated out, even the evil ones, and you'd likely only meet one or two ever in your entire campaign. Instead, characters are expected to work with their agents, ally or fight with their causes, interact with their force upon the world -- not the icons personally.

2) while icons have been pulled back from the PCs' game space, they've actually been more tightly mechanically integrated. At character creation, players pump points into their relationships with the icons of the age. Relationships can range from positive to negative, weak to strong. These relationships are then used to gain information and resources as you adventure, as well as color others' perceptions of you and help guide your motivations for adventuring. And lots of plot hooks, of course. Basically, you set up and flavor Burning Wheel circles with specific major forces in the setting, which grow and change as you adventure and level.

edit: VVV it helps that it actually has a working, detailed table of contents. Again, this was one hell of a polished playtest document.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 21, 2012

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

It really is a shame, I could talk about this game all day. I even have a whole bunch of notes from my readings of stuff that seems initially off and an even bigger list of things that are awesome.

Writing up pregens for tonight or tomorrow's game and it's an easy process, even with everything scattered around in a playtest document.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Ok, I'm almost at the point where I'm as excited for this game as I am for Guild Wars 2.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

rantmo posted:

Ok, I'm almost at the point where I'm as excited for this game as I am for Guild Wars 2.

You really should be. It has some obvious issues and I might feel a bit differently after playing it but it's basically Things I Liked In 4e + Things I Like In Other Systems

vvvv Soon! I'm rounding up some people to do a quick combat session (maybe as soon as a few hours from now) and if all goes well we're playing a full session tonight or tomorrow.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I would be very curious to know how long the average combat takes, once someone actually plays a session.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

cbirdsong posted:

I would be very curious to know how long the average combat takes, once someone actually plays a session.

I'd imagine pretty quickly once people really learn the system. There's also the Escalation Die: in the second round of combat, the GM puts down a d6 at "1", and each new round he moves it to the next number up, up to 6 on the seventh round. The value on the Escalation Die is added to the character's attack rolls to represent them "building up momentum". Plus some character abilities add the Escalation Die to damage as well.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

fosborb posted:

The setting is Grade A. There are (at least at this point) very few Big Events in the fluff. It's more about setting up pieces for the players to interact with. Icons are the best example and where I think a lot of the innovation in the system rests.

The problem with lots of D&D settings is that there are all these big bad rear end NPCs like the Lady of Pain and Elminster that the PCs have to try to carve out a space around. 13th Age embraces these personified plot devices and addresses the issue two ways:

1) like Eberron, the most powerful entities of the land are not powerful because of their character levels. They have vast organizations and seats of power and followers. They aren't stated out, even the evil ones, and you'd likely only meet one or two ever in your entire campaign. Instead, characters are expected to work with their agents, ally or fight with their causes, interact with their force upon the world -- not the icons personally.

2) while icons have been pulled back from the PCs' game space, they've actually been more tightly mechanically integrated. At character creation, players pump points into their relationships with the icons of the age. Relationships can range from positive to negative, weak to strong. These relationships are then used to gain information and resources as you adventure, as well as color others' perceptions of you and help guide your motivations for adventuring. And lots of plot hooks, of course. Basically, you set up and flavor Burning Wheel circles with specific major forces in the setting, which grow and change as you adventure and level.

Oh man, this sounds awesome. Now if only I could convince my friends that Forgotten Realms is not really The Best Thing Ever.

I didn't actually apply for testing because I didn't want to take the place of someone who will actually get to playtest the game, but I am having second thoughts now.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I really want to know more about rogue momentum, it sounds like a really unique and
Involved mechanic to add a lot of thought and
Narrative to a damage dealer.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd imagine pretty quickly once people really learn the system. There's also the Escalation Die: in the second round of combat, the GM puts down a d6 at "1", and each new round he moves it to the next number up, up to 6 on the seventh round. The value on the Escalation Die is added to the character's attack rolls to represent them "building up momentum". Plus some character abilities add the Escalation Die to damage as well.

This sounds really neat. Does this apply to all characters or just certain classes? What about enemies?

Now I wish I had sent an email sooner :smith:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I applied for the next round of playtesting. My co-GM is excited by this thread, so I guess we'll be buying the game when it comes out regardless of whether or not we get to playtest.

Can you talk about unique class mechanics a bit? The rogue gets momentum, but what do other classes get? Or did I misread that and everyone gets momentum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

nauggins posted:

This sounds really neat. Does this apply to all characters or just certain classes? What about enemies?

Every class gets the bonus to the attack rolls, some class features/attacks get it to damage rolls.

And only PCs get the bonus, not NPCs or monsters.

quote:

Now I wish I had sent an email sooner :smith:
I think we're going to be having a few playtest games here, so I wouldn't worry too much.

• Locked thread