Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zereth posted:

Last time I tried playing I was grinding something or other that required resting frequently in the first town and then I went outside and it was just this enormous sea of enemies I could not kill fast enough.

This happened to me while grinding music so I'll just spread that out a little more instead of getting it to 100 all at once :v:. Blocking on most characters got my stealth on Ninja to around 60 and she actually seems to be doing things in combat (don't have the staff that only faerie ninjas can use yet tho). My second trip through hellroad to the first town went much better tho it's still the most dangerous road in a RPG I've played in a long time. Finding it funny that most of the sound effects and voice acting is really great in this game but weapon/spell miss sound effects are straight out of a cartoon slip and slide sound effect pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mr E posted:

This happened to me while grinding music so I'll just spread that out a little more instead of getting it to 100 all at once :v:. Blocking on most characters got my stealth on Ninja to around 60 and she actually seems to be doing things in combat (don't have the staff that only faerie ninjas can use yet tho). My second trip through hellroad to the first town went much better tho it's still the most dangerous road in a RPG I've played in a long time. Finding it funny that most of the sound effects and voice acting is really great in this game but weapon/spell miss sound effects are straight out of a cartoon slip and slide sound effect pack.

I always loved the voices in this game (even if some of them are painfully stereotyped); there was some real love put into them and their dialog. Though one of the funniest things to me was doing a replay and realizing that one of the personalities casually drops a spoiler for the ending when they react to an event part-way through the story.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IMO: a bishop being the only caster actually rules. I do that all the time when I'm not doing dumb gimmick builds.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm mostly doing fine with 2 bishops split into 2-2.5 books a piece. I think I have most of the books I can buy at this point and am about to head to the Northern wilderness after clearing out Marten's bluff and doing the Shaman quest and will "see Marten soon". I killed the Don for his overpowered ninja faerie staff and it rules, also got a dagger that has 5% kill on it to dual wield on her. My bishops are definitely casting more buffs than attacks right now tho I'm sure that will change once I get to the higher level spells I'm saving spell points for. Mostly still loving the game tho even with a speed mod combat can get very very long just from amount of creatures needing to do a move action. I saw there's an option in the patch I'm using for enemy groups to be able to have more than 9 creatures and that sounds like a nightmare.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mr E posted:

My bishops are definitely casting more buffs than attacks right now tho I'm sure that will change once I get to the higher level spells

You might not, as attack magic is a little underwhelming overall in Wiz8. Outside of a handful of spells, resistances on enemies are just too high for them to make much of an impact. Buffs and debuffs are much more important throughout the whole game. Caveat that I like to play with the difficulty sliders (I think they were sliders? been a while) all the way up so that may color my experience.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

You might not, as attack magic is a little underwhelming overall in Wiz8. Outside of a handful of spells, resistances on enemies are just too high for them to make much of an impact. Buffs and debuffs are much more important throughout the whole game. Caveat that I like to play with the difficulty sliders (I think they were sliders? been a while) all the way up so that may color my experience.

That makes sense from what I've been seeing and I don't particularly mind my casters mostly de/buffing things overall. Finding the gadgets and bard instruments fun too, and my fighter and ninja at least for now are kind of wrecking anything that gets close enough to hit or I walk up to.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Are there any older, or even retro, pc rpgs I can play with a controller? I'm going to be a couch gamer for a few weeks and wondered if there are any clever ways someone could play a classic.

Maybe I should just make a "pc gaming while recovering from surgery" thread.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Node posted:

Are there any older, or even retro, pc rpgs I can play with a controller? I'm going to be a couch gamer for a few weeks and wondered if there are any clever ways someone could play a classic.

First thing that comes to mind is that most of the old SSI gold box titles (like the Krynn and Pools series available on GoG) can be controlled almost entirely with cursor keys + enter, so remapping that to a controller should work fine (and the 8-bit versions were supposed to be played mostly with a joystick). You might have to enter some minor text for passwords etc., but it's going to be very rare.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

fezball posted:

First thing that comes to mind is that most of the old SSI gold box titles (like the Krynn and Pools series available on GoG) can be controlled almost entirely with cursor keys + enter, so remapping that to a controller should work fine (and the 8-bit versions were supposed to be played mostly with a joystick). You might have to enter some minor text for passwords etc., but it's going to be very rare.

Would a dos game (an old one!) even recognize inputs from my controller? It's an xbox series x/s. Would I have to use another program to map the controller to so the game would recognize it?

edit: Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 EE, as well as Diablo 2: Resurrected, work well with controllers from what I've heard. I recently played BG1, 2, and 3, but letting my minions farm Mephisto over and over again in D2 while I'm dulled on painkillers sounds pretty good.

Node fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 12, 2024

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Node posted:

Would a dos game (an old one!) even recognize inputs from my controller? It's an xbox series x/s. Would I have to use another program to map the controller to so the game would recognize it?

Since these days you're almost certainly running this kind of game through DOSBox (which is what the GoG version will be using as well), remapping controllers by messing with its configuration shouldn't be too difficult (https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Mapper might be a good starting point). But there's plenty of other ways of mapping controller inputs to keyboard presses if you look for them (I think AutoHotKey can do it, but I'm not too familiar with that one).

fezball fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 12, 2024

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Node posted:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/14149/dungeons-dragons-warriors-of-the-eternal-sun/

https://www.mobygames.com/game/37833/buck-rogers-countdown-to-doomsday/

Genesis emulator.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

fezball posted:

Since these days you're almost certainly running this kind of game through DOSBox (which is what the GoG version will be using as well), remapping controllers by messing with its configuration shouldn't be too difficult (https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Mapper might be a good starting point). But there's plenty of other ways of mapping controller inputs to keyboard presses if you look for them (I think AutoHotKey can do it, but I'm not too familiar with that one).

So dosbox handles it, cool. Thank you. That opens up a lot of dos rpgs, that are controller friendly. That don't rely too heavily on a mouse cursor.

I'm mostly looking for pc games, but I'll check that D&D game out. Is that running on whatever engine Ultima 5 6 used?

I actually have the physical copy of that Buck Rogers game. As a kid, I had no loving clue what I was doing.

Node fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 12, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Node posted:

So dosbox handles it, cool. Thank you. That opens up a lot of dos rpgs, that are controller friendly. That don't rely too heavily on a mouse cursor.

I'm mostly looking for pc games, but I'll check that D&D game out. Is that running on whatever engine Ultima 5 used?

I actually have the physical copy of that Buck Rogers game. As a kid, I had no loving clue what I was doing.

No, Ultima 5 was by Origin and they didn't share their engines. At the time Westwood was big in RPGs so I am wondering if at least the dungeon segments shared code with Eye of the Beholder...

The Buck Rogers game is running on the Gold Box engine but that's because it's an SSI game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Random Stranger posted:

No, Ultima 5 was by Origin and they didn't share their engines. At the time Westwood was big in RPGs so I am wondering if at least the dungeon segments shared code with Eye of the Beholder...

The Buck Rogers game is running on the Gold Box engine but that's because it's an SSI game.

Oops. I meant Ultima 6. They're a couple years apart. I guess they just look similar to me because of the identical perspective, and the way the knights and Dupre look alike:

I'll give the Buck Rogers game a shot some time, it'll be fun to see if I can actually play it instead of just look at it and randomly press buttons.

I'm still looking for other retro (or in that era just after retro, but not modern) rpgs that I can play. Games that can be played mostly with the keyboard so I can map the keys to the controller. Would it be possible with World of Xeen? I don't remember if you can use a keyboard to interact with menus. You have to type the occasional thing in too, but a little bit of typing is okay.

Node fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 12, 2024

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Have there been any recent fancy remakes of anything older? - in the vein of Arx Libertatis or Ultima 4 in Dungeon Siege.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Chubby Henparty posted:

Have there been any recent fancy remakes of anything older? - in the vein of Arx Libertatis or Ultima 4 in Dungeon Siege.

This might not be what you're talking about, but Daggerfall Unity hit 1.0 a while ago and is amazing to play. Daggerfall running at modern frame rates, further view distances, mod support, if you're into that sort of thing. Speaking of, the unity port added in controller support! I'll have to try that.

There are also remakes of Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back using Legend of Grimrock 1's toolkit. It was done by fans and isn't a 1:1 remake by any means (leveling system is totally different) but its neat to run through the dungeon using a much more modern engine. Grimrock 1 or 2 has Eye of the Beholder remakes on the workshop too but they might be unfinished and abandoned, I'm not sure.

Node fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2024

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Xeen wouldn't work well with a controller, too many buttons.
Diablo 1 for PS1 is a good port that uses a controller.
Wizardry 6, use the dosbox remapper, the game only uses one button and the arrow keys.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Joe Chill posted:

Diablo 1 for PS1 is a good port that uses a controller.
Wizardry 6, use the dosbox remapper, the game only uses one button and the arrow keys.

Would Wizardry 7 work too?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Node posted:

This might not be what you're talking about, but Daggerfall Unity hit 1.0 a while ago and is amazing to play. Daggerfall running at modern frame rates, further view distances, mod support, if you're into that sort of thing. Speaking of, the unity port added in controller support! I'll have to try that.

That's a really good suggestion, I'd heard about it but not yet tried it so thanks!

Might try the Grimrock ones too... I think what I really want is someone to pipe up and say here's a sick new ui for Underworld 2

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Node posted:

Would Wizardry 7 work too?

I don't know, never played it. Afaik It's more mouse driven so probably not.

Maybe not an option for you but playing old dos games on a tablet is surprisingly good, since the touchscreen can be used instead of a mouse.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Joe Chill posted:

By god did they try for MM3 on Turbografx-CD, Sega-CD and SNES.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
MM3 was the first MM to be designed to be played entirely with the mouse, but it also did still have keyboard commands for absolutely everything, so I can see how there could be hopes of adapting it, although yeah, you end up with too many bindings for a pad so you'd need a source port instead of an emulator to rethink the UI flow.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
MM2 on the Genesis is fantastic! I also played through MM6 on the Deck - if you can map a mouse cursor it works surprisingly well.

If you have a DS Etrian Odyssey is great for couch gaming while watching TV or whatever.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

loopsheloop posted:

MM2 on the Genesis is fantastic! I also played through MM6 on the Deck - if you can map a mouse cursor it works surprisingly well.

If you have a DS Etrian Odyssey is great for couch gaming while watching TV or whatever.

Might and Magic 6 is one of my favorite games of all time. I figured it would rely too much on the cursor to be playable. What does your controller layout look like?

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Movement on left stick, look/fly on dpad, quick spell/shoot on R1 and turn based toggle on R2 gets you like 90% of the way there. I have the mouse mapped to the touchpads but I think it would work fine on right stick as well. Just make sure you have esc mapped to something!!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mr E posted:

That makes sense from what I've been seeing and I don't particularly mind my casters mostly de/buffing things overall. Finding the gadgets and bard instruments fun too, and my fighter and ninja at least for now are kind of wrecking anything that gets close enough to hit or I walk up to.

I agree that buffs are by far the most useful spells that you will cast, (which honestly is part of why I think one bishop is plenty for a party) but since it's a get better by doing kinda game, I like to have my casters casting almost every single round. And sometimes, especially if you've got a bit of power casting under your belt, you can still punch through some of your enemies' defences. I wouldn't completely ignore damage spells.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Kuros posted:

By god did they try for MM3 on Turbografx-CD, Sega-CD and SNES.

There's even a prototype of a Genesis version floating around! (it's awful)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Not sure if you need the game to actually be old or if you're after the old design, so just in case it's the latter, Legends of Amberland is a cute mini MM3/Xeen which comes with full controller support.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

FishMcCool posted:

Not sure if you need the game to actually be old or if you're after the old design, so just in case it's the latter, Legends of Amberland is a cute mini MM3/Xeen which comes with full controller support.

Legends of Amberland is a really fun blobber with cool itemization and simple and satisfying gameplay. Played through on the Switch, really hope the sequel sees a switch release too. Highly recommended if you like the genre!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Chairchucker posted:

IMO: a bishop being the only caster actually rules. I do that all the time when I'm not doing dumb gimmick builds.
My boring first time party literally years ago on release was Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, Gadgeteer, Bishop, Ranger and it was dull as possible but pretty easily ground its way through the game without much dificulty. I would give one of the fighters a pole arm and put them on one flank and recruit Vi and put her on the other with her spear and then just poke and punch my way through long sloggy fights forever.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fyodorovich posted:

Legends of Amberland is a really fun blobber with cool itemization and simple and satisfying gameplay. Played through on the Switch, really hope the sequel sees a switch release too. Highly recommended if you like the genre!

I thought it looked too cutesy, from the store page. But if you say the gameplay is good, I'm always down for more Might and Magicalikes.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Node posted:

I thought it looked too cutesy, from the store page. But if you say the gameplay is good, I'm always down for more Might and Magicalikes.

It's not very complicated or difficult most of the time, you're at the mercy of random drops and random shops for what items and equipment are available, and some character classes are just straight-up worse than others, but those things were also all true of M&M3-5. It's not quite as polished or atmospheric as World of Xeen was, but, well, it's definitely better than Swords of Xeen. It aims to scratch the same "move around on a grid to explore places and hit things" itch and generally succeeds at doing so.

The sequel is mostly more of the same, but it significantly improves on the dungeon design; the first game's dungeons are basically a series of rooms with monsters in them where you might occasionally have to find a switch to progress, while the second game has actual puzzles and mazes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Thuryl posted:

It's not very complicated or difficult most of the time, you're at the mercy of random drops and random shops for what items and equipment are available, and some character classes are just straight-up worse than others, but those things were also all true of M&M3-5. It's not quite as polished or atmospheric as World of Xeen was, but, well, it's definitely better than Swords of Xeen. It aims to scratch the same "move around on a grid to explore places and hit things" itch and generally succeeds at doing so.

The sequel is mostly more of the same, but it significantly improves on the dungeon design; the first game's dungeons are basically a series of rooms with monsters in them where you might occasionally have to find a switch to progress, while the second game has actual puzzles and mazes.

Does it have a crossword dungeon, because that Xeen dungeon owned

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Regrettably, no.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finished getting the third cosmic lord artifact yesterday in Wiz 8 and am moving on to the Rapax Rift. I'm around level 16-18 depending on character so I'm not sure if I'll need to grind at some point but the hardest enemy in the game for me so far has been the groups at temple building at the top of the Southeast Wilderness that I just ran away from to come back to later and the psychic sharks in the underwater areas, mostly because flame spells didn't work there and I didn't have Vi with me. I at least want to get my Bishops up to a high enough level to get the last spells available. I've only had two real issues with the game - first, golems giving 25k+ XP per while a group of 11-12 enemies with the same amount of HP per enemy giving 10-11k. Seems like there's not much reason to get XP anywhere besides the Mountain Wilderness due to that (also found a retro looking dungeon secret there which was neat). Second, even with enemy movement being instant combat is starting to take ages, especially if any enemy has the slow effect on them. I think last night the fight outside of Marten's tomb took about 25 minutes and I wasn't in any real danger after I took out the tomb guardian skeleton. I think the Xeen games are still my favorite dungeon crawler I've played so far but even with the issues I've had Wiz 8 is definitely up there, maybe one day I'll do a full Wiz 6-8 run.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2929540/Dragon_Ruins/

auto battle dungeon blobber?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Are the xeen games available anywhere or are they abandonware at this time?

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Oscar Wild posted:

Are the xeen games available anywhere or are they abandonware at this time?

https://www.gog.com/en/game/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition, it goes on sale occasionally, too.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Oscar Wild posted:

Thank you!

FYI the cheapest this has been is $2