Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
Oh hello there, you got the jump on me. What oh this it's nothing really I mean seriously don't worry about it-

Ok, you caught me. Yes that's an ancient boxed copy of Dungeon Siege, but its got a long history with me that I'm going to force you to all read through now. When I was in elementary or middle school some kid teld me all about this 3D Diablo clone called Dungeon Siege. Being a huge Diablo fan at the time I told him he was full of poo poo and the game was probably trash, this ended with said kid crying soon after. I didn't think anything could compete with my golden calf that was Diablo and battle.net multiplayer at the time and really didn't think much of it for a while. A few years later I saw a marked down copy of "Dungeon Siege:Legends of Aranna" sitting lonely at a EBGames in the local mall on what was becoming the dwindling PC gaming selection, back when PC gaming actually had a wall in a games store anyway. and when PCGamer magazine didn't suck nearly as bad I think either.

When I booted it up and played it for the first time I was blown away by, well, the 3D! Crazy poo poo at the time when the other 3D games I played were either Quake 2 DDay mod or Half-Life and its mods, and EQ sometimes. Besides the 3D aspect of it I was really blown away by the charming soundtrack it had going for it which I would of course learn later was composed by gaming soundtrack staple Jeremy Soule. A lot of those tracks play in my brain years after I ever played the drat thing, they just fit the mood right. In most games of the time background noise was simply music or explosions, fighting sounds and stuff, maybe some eerie music or something. But the old 3D world of this game had birds chirping in the trees as well as pine and oak trees swinging, rustling with the wind. Simply chilled me to the bone back then and give it an immersion that was hard to get anywhere else.

Game was a hack and slash Diablo clone to the core with its selling point being "a tactical fantasy slashy-RPG mashup" or something. In the end a lot of this worked against it and made the game unplayable for some people (or simply boring to watch). The camera controls were hilariously wonky sometimes but they were some of the first of their time if I recall correctly. They tried a lot of new and weird stuff that really hadn't been ironed out right yet in some instances... but all in all it was a functional game with some outstanding soundwork and 3D modeling for the time. And as an aside I'll mention something-

Yes, I played Dungeon Siege 3. I had a lot of reasons for why I didn't care much for it but I'll let a screenshot comparison show you one of my biggest reasons why:

A female character from Gas Powered Games Dungeon Siege in the 1990's.

A female character from Obsidian's Dungeon Siege 3, 2011.

Besides the game coming quite a bit too late and really just being something to push out with their new in-house engine it really wasn't much to call home about. It had great combat from what I remember but that was it really. The laid back light fantasy design aesthetic was gone and replaced with belts and high heels, and a particular lack of armoring and item pimping in most cases. The DS I knew was really just an excuse to sit back, get 8 bored friends on the line and drink and talk while one person clicks "follow server host" and presses the potion button over and over again when the time calls for it. It was chill as gently caress and the environments really let that soak in, well, when I was a kid I guess. It was more an armor and weapon shopping mass critter slaughter simulator with 8 player coop and an excuse to see steam powered goblin chainsaw grenade launcher death machines in action. To this day I won't say its a GOOD game but gently caress if I can't get it out of my head. I was horribly saddened when copies of the game were sold on Steam and then it turned out they didn't have multiplayer compatibility for some reason. gently caress, that was like the only reason to play DS back in the day. Also apparently goons REALLY hated the original game when the Obsidian thread rolled around, besides that its all I know about this kinda scuffed up piece of copper of a game. Thought I'd finally let my thoughts on it rest with an effort-post in a PC gaming thread dedicated to ancient RPGs of the long gone times, hopefully I'll be able to shut up about it now and it will leave my brain in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU