Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing the 1990s had in abundance was novelty hits: this is one of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don Gato posted:

That's why you left the crap cereal for a younger sibling :v:

:yayclod: You have no idea how happy you just made me. Gonna have to go to one of these and rock it like it's 1995.

These are the guys I've seen around http://mechjock.com/ pretty cool bunch. I got some free games one night just because I was the only person awake at 2am in the convention center other than their night shift.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Wait, what? Bozo was only a Chicago area thing? I thought it was at least syndicated nationally since "Bozo" became such a common term. A kid in one of my elementary classes actually got to go on the show. I remember that he brought the tape in for a show and tell and it was a huge deal in the class, but he didn't win the grand prize; not sure how far he got on it, but it wasn't poorly enough to be teased by the other kids. Grand prize or not, I'll at least say that it's the only show and tell item that comes to mind, so he's got that going for him

He was on WGN, which has been carried by just about every cable company in the US almost as long as cable has been a thing. That's how he became nationally known.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

laserghost posted:

Found this games sampler for Windows 95, made by Monolith for Microsoft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcyi7hGqQ48 it's just great. The games alone are a great mix, but the presentation is what really takes the cake. If I had this one disc back in the day, it would never leave cd tray of my Pentium 133mhz.

I miss demo collections. Installing some unknown game just because the title sounds interesting, or because it's one you haven't tried yet. Finding out you love it. Playing it to death. Then getting the full game, not by ordering it online, but because you go looking for it in a store and happen to find it.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

davidspackage posted:

I miss demo collections. Installing some unknown game just because the title sounds interesting, or because it's one you haven't tried yet. Finding out you love it. Playing it to death. Then getting the full game, not by ordering it online, but because you go looking for it in a store and happen to find it.

This basically happened with Thief for me. Installed it, loved it, stumbled upon it in the store, and bought it. Still one of my favourite games

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

davidspackage posted:

And the PC games all came in these big square cardboard boxes with a little jewel case in the middle.

If you got the various Lego games (Lego Loco was my favourite) it came with a minifigure as well.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Metal Loaf posted:

If you got the various Lego games (Lego Loco was my favourite) it came with a minifigure as well.

They still do this. The Hobbit and the third Batman Lego game comes with figurine.
I remember wantint Lego Chess so bad, I didn't even like chess, but the presentation was so nice it could interest me into it. And it had tiny little set with Chess King and his throne

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was really bad at Lego Chess (indeed, any kind of chess, for that matter) but I used to sit and watch my dad play it because I liked the animations at the end of each level.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Sentient Data posted:

Wait, what? Bozo was only a Chicago area thing? I thought it was at least syndicated nationally since "Bozo" became such a common term.

I think there were some regional Bozos, if I remember correctly. My area aired different ones on different channels growing up: The WGN version was bright and reruns of another version that felt creepier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyAHYyLQ_9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Q6qbYsDiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLPW8RlUvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PegkGpgHBYk This one is apparently from 90's Philly.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Nov 20, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I remember the demo that came with my PS1 that had Spyro in it, and if you tried to go on the balloon in the first world the guy says something like "This balloon wont work till <release date>" Little me back then eagerly awaited for the release date, popped the demo back on and was very confused as to why the guy wasn't letting me on the balloon :saddowns:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Might be a little young for most goons, but does anybody remember Gullah Gullah Island?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-szmuT1P1I

I mostly remembered it as a discount Barney the Dinosaur, but later realized it was basically all about my hometown. I even went to high school with the youngest son in the show and acted in a few plays with him. It's just bizarre to think this show was shown across the country to show off Gullah and the Lowcountry.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Triskelli posted:

Might be a little young for most goons, but does anybody remember Gullah Gullah Island?

I mostly remembered it as a discount Barney the Dinosaur, but later realized it was basically all about my hometown. I even went to high school with the youngest son in the show and acted in a few plays with him. It's just bizarre to think this show was shown across the country to show off Gullah and the Lowcountry.

Wow, sweet jesus. I haven't thought about this show in years. My younger sister watched it every drat morning.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Triskelli posted:

I'm knocking on 30 myself and I remember this. I thought it was one of the more tolerable nick jr shows to watch when I was home sick from school. Much better than Barney :colbert:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm knocking on 30 myself and I remember this. I thought it was one of the more tolerable nick jr shows to watch when I was home sick from school. Much better than Barney :colbert:

Agreed. I mean, the pollywog wasn't my favourite? but Barney is just flat-out intolerable.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Triskelli posted:

This was literally the first thing I really remember in my life. For some reason my memory turned on when I was watching that little frog hop around and poo poo. I loved that show too.

EDIT: I didn't even click on the youtube link and I still started singing the theme song from memory, that's how much I got down on that Gullah Gullah.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Don Gato posted:

I haven't seen this thing posted yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJA5C_Po4U

Motherfucking Battletech Centers. I never lived anywhere that had these, but I remember hearing about them from my cousins and 5 year old me thought they sounded like the absolute poo poo. Gonna be honest I still think these are loving awesome and kinda wish that they caught on. Closest version of these that I've seen are those Gundam Pods I played when I was in Japan, but good luck finding anything similar in the States.

And even though it has been brought up already, gently caress it, Toonami is always relevant when talking about the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lotTngXQwDQ
I was probably 7-8ish when I saw that and it was the first time I wrote a letter because I really didn't want Moltar to go away and take my favorite shows. I like to think that it worked, seeing as Toonami lasted until 2008.

They also had the coolest bumpers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv-EA3WEImk

And the coolest ads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94
IIRC that one was used as an official ad for Gundam Wing at one point, no idea if that's true or not but I remember that ad is what convinced me to sneak downstairs and watch it on the Midnight Run.

Also Gundam Wing technically counts, it came out in 95 in :japan: Glorious Nippon.

The pods are still in operation. Every once in a while I treck on down to Dallas and spend a day killing robits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech_Centers#List_of_BattleTech_centers

Not sure how current the list is though.

*edit*
Holy crap, I didn't realize that the last time Had been to dallas was in 2010. Looks like Gunslinger doesn't host the pods between cons anymore. But Houston looks to still be in operation. http://www.mechcorps.com/

Kilazar has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Nov 25, 2014

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I used to watch the poo poo out of GGI when I would stay home sick from school or for other whatever reason been off and able to watch Nick Jr.

I still clearly remember watching Ranger Mike teach whats his name's son how to put a crab to sleep by waving his hand in front of them. Also cool as poo poo that Ron and Natalie were married on the show and in real life.

Morn
Aug 29, 2012
Anyone else put up with the roast beef sandwiches to get all of the Apollo 13 Saturn V pog holder from Hardee's?

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Anyone remember what OK soda tasted like? I sure don't. I remember liking it and drinking it several times.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Metal Loaf posted:

One thing the 1990s had in abundance was novelty hits: this is one of my favourites.
Okay, just how much booze and cocaine led to the creation of this?

...considering it's Gazza, probably enough to kill an entire family of rhinos.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doc Morbid posted:

[in Edward Furlong voice] Uh... all of 'em, I think.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Anyone remember what OK soda tasted like? I sure don't. I remember liking it and drinking it several times.
Yup, I even just posted this the other day in the other 90s thread. Go to a soda fountain and mix up 3/4 coke, 1/4 orange soda, and a little Dr Pepper.

I remember doing this accidentally once and immediately thinking "what the poo poo this tastes like OK Soda?" years after having had any of the real thing, and finding the "correct" proportions online after looking it up later. Apparently the flavor was indeed supposed to invoke mixing the poo poo out of fountain drinks.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Morn posted:

Anyone else put up with the roast beef sandwiches to get all of the Apollo 13 Saturn V pog holder from Hardee's?

Hell yes I did! I've still got mine laying around. It's in the same jar I keep all of my fancy/special/rare coins in. It's funny seeing silver dollars, half dollars, special pennies/nickels, then an Apollo XIII coin or a Lucky Charms Olympics coin.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I had a hankerin to snap into a Slim Jim and got to thinking about Static X. Since the song Push It was released in 1999 and the vid is stop motion, it belongs ITT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0MfBG5-Uo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Morbid posted:

...considering it's Gazza, probably enough to kill an entire family of rhinos.

There's three things I especially enjoy about the video:

1) The very instant Gazza waves and yells, "C'MON!" you know precisely what you're in for.

2) There's one moment right at the start, where Gazza's at the mic in the studio, where he seems to realise exactly how ridiculous this entire enterprise is and sort of glances away from the camera.

3) Gazza having a thumb solo and a leg solo.

Morn
Aug 29, 2012

Tyson Tomko posted:

Hell yes I did! I've still got mine laying around. It's in the same jar I keep all of my fancy/special/rare coins in. It's funny seeing silver dollars, half dollars, special pennies/nickels, then an Apollo XIII coin or a Lucky Charms Olympics coin.

I never understood why they would make a POG holder but sell it with a sandwich only adults would order, if their taste buds were dead.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I have a request for this thread.

When I was 5 or 6, so early 90's, I had a toy that I loved but it's long since been thrown out and I can't find any trace of it on the internet. It was a toy where you build robots that are piloted by little yellow men out of modular parts that you can reassemble any way you like, a little like a cross between Zoids and Lego. I had a smaller one and it was a bipedal robot with a shovel and a drill for arms. It was black, green and orange. I don't remember the name or if there was any associated cartoon, but I remember that the packaging was a lot fancier than a typical Chinese knockoff toy so I think they were at least somewhat popular. There was a big picture on the back of some of the other kits in a scifi base/factory setting.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? My Google-fu is failing me on this one.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

When I was 5 or 6, so early 90's, I had a toy that I loved but it's long since been thrown out and I can't find any trace of it on the internet. It was a toy where you build robots that are piloted by little yellow men out of modular parts that you can reassemble any way you like, a little like a cross between Zoids and Lego. I had a smaller one and it was a bipedal robot with a shovel and a drill for arms. It was black, green and orange. I don't remember the name or if there was any associated cartoon, but I remember that the packaging was a lot fancier than a typical Chinese knockoff toy so I think they were at least somewhat popular. There was a big picture on the back of some of the other kits in a scifi base/factory setting.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? My Google-fu is failing me on this one.

My best guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Crash_Dummies

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Thanks, but it definitely was not the Crash Test Dummies. I had a Crash Test Dummy as well but it was completely different to what I'm talking about.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Why couldn't you just have been a child of the '80's? Then it would've Starriors and the mystery could be solved.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sizone posted:

Why couldn't you just have been a child of the '80's? Then it would've Starriors and the mystery could be solved.

Yeah I was thinking that or R.A.T.S. (Robot Anti-Terror Squad), which were made from the same molds as the Starriors for European markets. And I think the Zoids toy line actually started out with toys that were originally designed to be Starriors, or something like that. But like you said that was more mid-80s, although I guess 1000 Brown M and Ms might have been playing with one that was a few years old in the early 90s.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tacodaemon posted:

Yeah I was thinking that or R.A.T.S. (Robot Anti-Terror Squad), which were made from the same molds as the Starriors for European markets. And I think the Zoids toy line actually started out with toys that were originally designed to be Starriors, or something like that. But like you said that was more mid-80s, although I guess 1000 Brown M and Ms might have been playing with one that was a few years old in the early 90s.

No, Zoids came first

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

It wasn't Starriors or RATS either. It's really bugging me cos every other thing from my childhood is here :confused:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Robotix

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, this is one hell of a long shot but people talked about the Freehold Raceway Mall in this topic before. Which pretty much is the most 90's Mall out there.

Back in the 90's the Freehold Raceway Mall had two toy stores on one side of the mall. One on the top floor, one on the bottom. I remember the bottom floor toy store was a Kaybees. But does anyone remember the name of the other toy store? That was my favorite one (I think it had a better selection of Nintendo Games?) but the name is completely lost to me.

And yes, the gyro place is still in the food court. Still tastes exactly the same, too.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

Okay, this is one hell of a long shot but people talked about the Freehold Raceway Mall in this topic before. Which pretty much is the most 90's Mall out there.

Back in the 90's the Freehold Raceway Mall had two toy stores on one side of the mall. One on the top floor, one on the bottom. I remember the bottom floor toy store was a Kaybees. But does anyone remember the name of the other toy store? That was my favorite one (I think it had a better selection of Nintendo Games?) but the name is completely lost to me.

And yes, the gyro place is still in the food court. Still tastes exactly the same, too.

Oh god. I know what one you're talking about, but I can't remember the name of it at all. It was awesome. My parents had to drag me out of there. God, I have to take a ride down there now. Maybe Friday since I have to get something for wear for Easter and I also want to check the Lego store for the Ecto-1.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

screenwritersblues posted:

Oh god. I know what one you're talking about, but I can't remember the name of it at all. It was awesome. My parents had to drag me out of there. God, I have to take a ride down there now. Maybe Friday since I have to get something for wear for Easter and I also want to check the Lego store for the Ecto-1.

I want to say that the sign or logo was chicken themed? Rooster? Or I could be wrong about that.

Also if anyone has any photos of the mini-golf that was there back when the mall first opened that would be awesome. I'm still trying to convince people I didn't imagine the "people horrifically dying in a tea cup" hole.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Nope, but that's closer to what I'm talking about.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

I think that place sold used video games too, unless this was a totally different store in the Freehold Raceway Mall. I just remember they let me play the games before I actually paid for them, which was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Nope, but that's closer to what I'm talking about.

I was thinking Construx, but that doesn't have the colors you mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construx

• Locked thread