Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Christmas Jones posted:

Here's one-- do modern kids even watch A Goofy Movie? I loved it when I was younger (and the show on which it was based), but I wasn't under the impression it had joined the Disney canon.

A kid today watching A Goofy Movie would be like our generation watching Xanadu. Or The Warriors. Or anything with Michael Beck's feathered hair.

It is apparently part of the "Walt Disney Gold Collection" and they've released it on DVD and all that poo poo so I assume they do. It's really crazy how long lived Disney movies in general are. I bet kids still watch Mary Poppins, not that The Goofy Movie is Mary Poppins level material or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I've constantly been intending to check this, but I kept going 'nah, it's a waste of time, that thing went down ages back, Amanda Bynes hasn't even done anything for years'. But wow, it's still there.

So is the Space Jam website.

I like that the "This day in Amanda history" fact is for October 28th. Makes me think that at some point it was somebody's job to manually change the date there.

EDIT: I remember how cool it used to be to find out a thing you liked had a website with poo poo to do on it. I bet every kid's thing has a cool interactive website today.

Modern Day Hercules has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Jul 25, 2012

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

mactheknife posted:

There is absolutely such a thing as not-ridiculous cargo shorts. I'm wearing some right now.

No there isn't. No you're not.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Even at it's height ska wasn't really popular. No Doubt had to literally stop being a ska band before they sold any records, and that was right during prime ska time. Nowadays there's only like 2 people who like ska so if you think about it, ska was probably like a thousand times more popular in the 90's, which is pretty big.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The late 90's Ska boom was pretty huge in the Pacific Northwest. A lot of kids in baseball pants, checkered ties and fedoras. We traveled like two hours or so up the highway to see The Toasters when they came by and that was a huge deal at the time. It was also pretty tied to the whole Warped Tour scene, and a lot of the second stringer bands were all Ska and Ska-punk bands.

Last time I went to Warped Tour there was one ska band. They played to an audience made up entirely of people who were there to see the next band that would be on the stage. People were booing the whole time. There's probably somewhere on this planet that ska is still appreciated, but I don't know where it is. It probably sucks too. Like ska.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

TunaSpleen posted:

I can't possibly think of anything more dangerous than a kid wearing these on a trampoline, unless maybe the kid's also holding a venomous snake and a steak knife at the same time.

Actually, add trampolines to the list of campy 90s poo poo. Tons of people owned them, only one in 20 had the safety net attachment, and my parents were the meanest people ever because we couldn't have one too. Hmm... there might be a reason I've made it to 25 without ever breaking a bone.

Those safety nets didn't do poo poo anyway. Most of the time if you got hurt on a trampoline it wasn't from falling off, it was from all the bony rear end bodies bumping into each other at high speeds.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

High waists were totally 90s.

They are currently coming back like a motherfucker. I hope to god the huge baggy clothing trend doesn't come back because that poo poo was stupid and ugly.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Mostly 90's for sure. I have 2 fresh boxes of Dinosaur Eggs oatmeal in my pantry right now.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

no_shit_columbo posted:

I was responsible for one hell of a phone bill once...

I want to know about the :nms: Upcoming issue details

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Triskelli posted:

Might be a little young for most goons, but does anybody remember Gullah Gullah Island?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-szmuT1P1I

I mostly remembered it as a discount Barney the Dinosaur, but later realized it was basically all about my hometown. I even went to high school with the youngest son in the show and acted in a few plays with him. It's just bizarre to think this show was shown across the country to show off Gullah and the Lowcountry.

This was literally the first thing I really remember in my life. For some reason my memory turned on when I was watching that little frog hop around and poo poo. I loved that show too.

EDIT: I didn't even click on the youtube link and I still started singing the theme song from memory, that's how much I got down on that Gullah Gullah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

Okay, this is one hell of a long shot but people talked about the Freehold Raceway Mall in this topic before. Which pretty much is the most 90's Mall out there.

Back in the 90's the Freehold Raceway Mall had two toy stores on one side of the mall. One on the top floor, one on the bottom. I remember the bottom floor toy store was a Kaybees. But does anyone remember the name of the other toy store? That was my favorite one (I think it had a better selection of Nintendo Games?) but the name is completely lost to me.

And yes, the gyro place is still in the food court. Still tastes exactly the same, too.

I think that place sold used video games too, unless this was a totally different store in the Freehold Raceway Mall. I just remember they let me play the games before I actually paid for them, which was cool.

• Locked thread