Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TVarmy posted:

EDIT: Also, I feel like this 1989 Pontiac concept car embodies the 90's cheese we came to love.

Jesus gently caress, the list of accessories that came with it:

Ronco Infomercial-style Pontiac Ad posted:

Pullout AM/FM cassette player
Door panels that are actually storage bins/coolers
Portable vanity case
Hidden tool kit
A flashlight
Two portable vacuum cleaners
A garden hose (why do you need to carry this in your car??? Are you going to show up at the in-laws and wash your car in the driveway but can't use their garden hose? :psyduck:)
Roll-up six outlet extension cord (pictured but not mentioned by narrator)
Bicycle bags
Removable picnic kit
Portable gas stove
Collapsible picnic table
Picnic dish set with carry box (pictured but not mentioned by narrator)

I kept expecting the narrator to finish the ad with "and if you call in the next 10 minutes we'll thrown in a Brazilian Power Crystal, a $25 value, absolutely free!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

oldpainless posted:

To contribute, this was in the 90s and also at a literal camp.

While we're on the topic of awesome 90s Nickelodeon shows...

Watching it again as an adult, I can't help but ask how the hell they managed to get 85% of the episodes past the censors/network executives.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

VoilaIntruder posted:

In the 90s we rebelled against popular artists and characters the only way we knew how: by making Java games where we shot at gifs of said characters.

This takes me back to 1995, when a friend of mine and I spent a good portion of our early teens making WAV files of Barney being killed in various hilarious ways in windows sound player and uploading them to AOL.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think one thing from the 90s that doesn't really happen anymore is the whole idea of a "mall culture," kids don't really hang out at the mall in this day and age. Then again we have a tiny, lovely-rear end mall, so that just might be my area.

A lot of malls have iron-fisted rules regarding people under the age 18 so this may contribute to a decline in the number of kids hanging out there. The two malls by me have a "CODE OF CONDUCT" sticker on every door, including "groups of 4 or more minors will be asked to disperse or leave the property," because clearly any group of kids larger than 3 are a gang. Sometimes I wonder if management is trying to put the mall out of business.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wandering Knitter posted:

Speaking of weird 90's poo poo, can everyone please turn your eyes to this Burger King video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2raNFYvDB0

Was this only in certain locations? I can't imagine Burger King having full blown dinners with people waiting on you. And popcorn! But I have the oddest, faintest memory of it so maybe at least the commercials were shown places?

This seems to me like one of Burger King's typical menu item quirks that pop up from time to time, and never last long. Like the tacos they had in the early 2000s or ribs they had a few years ago. Although that seems to be really peculiar for a fast food restaurant...based on the ad it almost seems like they were trying to compete on some level with a chain diner like Dennys. And likewise, I can't seem to recall that on the menu either nor can I recall the commercial; it was probably test-marketed in a few cities and died a quiet death.

Wandering Knitter posted:

e: I do remember the Wendy's Super Bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iQq4oTcmI

I loved this thing when I was little. I got to pick out whatever food I wanted to eat, and then I got chocolate pudding for dessert! :3:

I remember this being the reason why I always wanted to eat in at Wendy's when I was in grade school. However, like most things remembered from one's childhood I should have let it stay a happy memory. Shortly after graduating highschool (2001) I traveled to Ft. Benning, Georgia with a friend's parents after he finished Army basic training and there was a Wendy's whose franchisee must have been a straggler and still had the Super Bar...I'm not sure if it was just that particular restaurant, but aside from the salad bar everything they served was awful, reminiscent of school cafeteria food.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Apr 8, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

psydude posted:

3. Dark Forces

Pretty much the seminal Star Wars shooter, it was basically Doom, but with more Star Wars. It also launched the Jedi Knight titles that we all came to know and love. This was also the first game that we bought on our brand new Acer Aspire that was purchased in 1995 and that initially sparked my interest in computers, leading to who I am today: a successful nerd who posts on Something Awful.

That screen is actually from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Its graphics were light-years ahead of Dark Forces' graphics...

...which are so bad by today's standards that the game in its original form is almost unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Argyle posted:

Actually, is there anything like Descent or TIE Fighter out there today? I just realized it's been ages since I've played any sort of free-flying space shooter.

The full space sim line from Lucasarts pretty much died with X-Wing Alliance. Apparently its still playable with some tweaks and the graphics are decent for something that was cranked out at the end of the 90s (it was released February of '99.) I'd install it if I still had a joystick.

Due to consoles taking over the bulk of the gaming market we'll probably never see another pure flight-sim style game again - everything will be a third-person arcade-style sim :argh:

VoilaIntruder posted:

The Starship Troopers film is cynical, rad, and one of the more prescient products of late 90's cinema. I like Roughnecks too, but for very different reasons.

While we're on the topic (of Starship Troopers and 90s PC games), anyone else ever play this game?

Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy. It was a pretty good game for the time (I think it came out right at the end of 1999,) not without its flaws but it utilized the power suits from the book that they cut out in the movie. Its into the domain of abandonware and the full game is available for download.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Apr 17, 2012

• Locked thread