Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Ah the 90's. Early 3D games, which retain a certain magic because back then 3D was new and developers were excited and passionate about what they were programming.

And the neat things you could do with a bit of game hacking...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

general posted:

Surely someone else remembers Stick Stickly?

I loved Stick Stickly.

Seeing that brought back one scene to my mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziEZyiW25G8&t=373s

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Serious Nickelodeon Question: What was the scariest episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? If you say anything other than the pool episode or the dollhouse episode, you are empirically wrong.

I just went back and watched a few episodes of this show. The intro has still got a delightfully creepy vibe (Just something about a playground at night), but the actual tales are just, meh now.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Coffee And Pie posted:

The 90s ended with 9/11.

Hell no it ended with the "election" of Dubya.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Ahh Real Monsters

"Master Ickis you're new here but there is one important thing to learn. The Gromble never, I repeat, never misspeaks!

I went back and watched most of the episodes of this on Netflix. When I was a kid I loving hated the Gromble. I thought he was an rear end in a top hat. Now however going back and re watching the show, well the Gromble is still an rear end in a top hat, but he's one of those fair assholes who learned long ago that he had to be an rear end in a top hat to keep control of the class, and he actually gives a poo poo about properly educating his students.

...And that Ickis is a lazy poo poo who oscillates between having zero self confidence and being over confident.

I'd love to see that show brought back. Very original and very competently done. It's also holding up well to the test of time.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

TheDon01 posted:

There's been some great 90's shows posted so far, but I didn't see anyone post this badass show.

SWAT Kats : The Radical Squadron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AdxJWFUh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TdqpWiBliw

The coolest loving jet ever. drat thing had a motorcycle inside that the co-pilot could drop out on, in addition to a huge list of other cool poo poo.

Ahh yes, the show that at least helped contribute to the Furry culture that would erupt just a few short years later.

Here's something very 90's: CD ROM games with pre rendered graphics!

Available in 256 colors, or 16 bit color later on, some of these games have a certain mystique in those static 640x480 backgrounds. Oregon Trail 2 comes to mind for me. (Funnily enough Oregon Trail 2 will run under Windows 3.1 in DOSBOX)

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Nurse posted:

This gem..

Carmageddon!

Still own it luckily enough

I have it and the sequel though haven't tried running them on Win 7.

I like the sequel for its slightly better graphics and because I could crush cars and split then in half.

I even modified the gold Eagle to have a weight of 50 tons and a softness factor of 0

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

VoilaIntruder posted:

I'm very happy that 'elephant' style pants haven't shown up near the US coastlines for roughly a decade (Hulk Hogan notwithstanding).

Hey now I happen to like those pants, because they're easy to move around in.

Then again I've liked oversized clothing long before it became a fashion trend.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

GonzoRonin posted:

I can't be the only one who vaguely remembers this awfulness, although it's slightly pre-90's:

Oh yes, I too remember VHS degradation and tracking issues.

Ah the days of color bleeding and muffled audio.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SpazmasterX posted:

Heh, try farther back.

Oh yeah I remember those.

Followed by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-t8PngHgWY

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ungulateman posted:

My god, old Macs.

I remember using Netscape on a Mac...OS 8? back in primary school.

They were so amazingly bad :allears:

And they tended to overheat and shut down.

Great now you got the Bugdom theme playing in my head.

Uh yeah Bugdom, a game that came bundled with those iMacs, and the framerate slowed to a crawl when multiple ants appeared on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Tewratomeh posted:

On the subject of Macs, didn't anybody else's school's Macs have "Flying Colors" installed? It was like a slightly-more-robust Mario Paint, and 90's as gently caress.

It's also still for sale: http://www.magicmouse.com/h_flyingc.html

Nope, Kid Pix for our macs. And actually it was only installed on one Quadra 660.

Landerig has a new favorite as of 19:08 on May 26, 2012

• Locked thread