Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

general posted:

Surely someone else remembers Stick Stickly?

I loved Stick Stickly.

Ahem... "Write to me, Stick Stickley! P.O. Box 963. New York City, New York State, 10108!"

Owl Island posted:

Here's something that I bet very few people remember.
Motherfuckin' "Yikes" pencils.
These things were the poo poo when I was a kid. They came in all kinds of patterns and colors, but the ones most popular for me were these:

If I recall correctly, they sharpened poorly and were poo poo to write with, but that funky oversize eraser on the end of it just made up for it all.

They came in packs of four and I remember the picture on the front was a cartoon of some dreadlocked dude, surrounded by cheesy 90's slang stuff ("kickin' erasers blast pencil trash!") in the aforementioned "scribble" writing font.

I just did some searches for them and there's an unopened pack on Ebay going for $50. Holy crap.

These didn't sharpen poorly, you just had to use the handheld style razor blade sharpeners. The grindy school sharpeners would gently caress them up royally, but the razor ones made them the finest in non mechanical pencil technology (I loved the ones in that picture too). The attached erasers sucked though, which is probably intentional so they could sell the other ones. Is there a company making ridiculous school utensils anymore? Those were sort of an essential part of childhood.

As for Lunchables, the pizza ones were good, and still around and almost as good. They're slightly smaller than they used to be, and I get one every couple years so I don't think this is just a case of me growing up and misremembering, but I've had a ridiculous need to eat one of these lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87PGVnx1c4 (commercial)

They weren't exactly good...but damned if I didn't like them and want one now that they're discontinued.

Ninja Toast! has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

And finally, whatever happened to Merril Bainbridge?

Holy poo poo, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of all the 90's 1hit songs and stuff but I completely forgot about this one. Nicely done.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

I literally saw this show just a few times as a kid, but had that theme song stuck in my head for around a decade or longer before the internet helped me find where it was from. And since I did, I'll share this with you, that whole series is legitimately up on youtube to watch. http://www.youtube.com/show?p=sVn_oWTv0Dk&tracker=show_av

oldpainless posted:

Did anyone else ever watch this show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-DAWveB_g

Yes, and I seem to remember it being one of the better creepy things kid shows. That and So Weird on disney, but I think that was 2000s.

Also, GOO PUNCH! (now you'll have this burned in your memory forever too!)

Ninja Toast! has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Mar 26, 2012

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
I got the gyro kite. It wouldn't fly.

I'm pretty sure you had to have some pretty significant and constant wind, which just doesn't happen unless you're at the beach, as shown in the commercial. Was pretty disappointing at the time, as I used to like kites as a kid.

^^ Single camera is a style. The office/30 rock/parks and rec are single camera, for example. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-camera_setup For general purposes, if it doesn't seem like the show was shot in front of an audience and it doesn't have the standard sitcom look/feel to it (like friends or something) there's a good chance it's single camera. Edit 2: Apparently no laugh track is also a single cam thing now, though that hasn't always been the case.

Ninja Toast! has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Mar 26, 2012

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Cromulent posted:

This is kind of an obscure one, but it's something I thought I had dreamed for the longest time: Marc Summers (of Double Dare fame) takes a bunch of kids to a haunted house of sorts, and encounter a bunch of creepy stuff and Lance Burton - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NvZ-MoUDws Anyone else remember this one?

There's also another Nickelodeon show from the early 90s which I thought I dreamed, it was kind of a Ripley's Believe it or Not style show, with tales of unbelievable occurrences such as spontaneous combustion. I can't find any evidence of this show online, so maybe I did dream it. I seem to remember seeing it early (like 6am) on Saturday mornings, around the time they showed Mr. Wizard's World.

No, not at all. Now that you mention it I totally have a vague recollection of that and a segment they had about a big rube goldberg machine or something. I can't really remember much else about it though. I can kind of picture an introduction with floating stuff, little doors that open, and some purple, but that's about the extent of it. I do know that it existed for sure though. I'll see if I can find anything.

EDIT: I think it was called Beyond Belief, but one prior to Beyond Belief fact or fiction. My searching for it is being hindered by that other version and also because they apparently had some Beyond Belief Night recently so that's about all that's coming up, but maybe we can find an intro or something eventually. Here's a bio on the creators. http://www.wizardsofweird.com/index.php?s=bios

I remember the Lance Burton halloween nickelodeon thing too, but I don't want to watch it because I remember it as being really cool and it will probably ruin it for me.

Ninja Toast! has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Mar 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Frankston posted:

I was just about to make a post asking if anyone remembered these because when I usually ask people they don't have a clue.

Interesting that in the US they were Nickelodeon. Over here in the UK they were just plain old Yikes!.

Originally they were just yikes I'm pretty sure, towards the end of their run I think Nickelodeon bought them.

• Locked thread