Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009
I'm 25 years old, and this recent trend of nineties nostalgia has been really interesting for me, because it's the first time seeing a decade that I actually lived through turn into a defined period. During the nineties, none of this stuff seemed obviously nineties, but now that's the only word to describe it, even though I would be hard pressed to say what actually defines it, other than high waisted jeans and solid colors. But it's interesting to me that I intuitively have a concept in my head of what the decade was like, but still don't have one for the oughts.

Content:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-KMPvgKPo

I love how shamelessly fun pop music was in the nineties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

I would pay good money to have one of those Agro Crag pieces from Guts.

Here's something soul crushing that I learned: they didn't actually get to take that piece of the aggro crag home with them. There was only one and they just held it up for the shoot.

How cool would it have been to have had one in college?

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

The 90s ended with 9/11.

This is generally how I see it, but this little series of posts got me thinking about exactly how I'd delineate the nineties from the 2000s. I actually think a big aesthetic marker would be the release of the ipod. Not necessarily because of what it did, but by how it introduced that white, minimalist aesthetic that really took off, in contrast with the xtreme, color blocked nineties. Even nineties futurism tended towards black angular stuff.

I'm probably wrong about it being the ipod that started the wave on this aesthetic shift, but that's what it is in my head.

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009
Here's something that I've been wondering about for a long time: were the Spice Girls universally popular, or were they more of a nineties version of Justin Bieber or Hannah Montana, where they were really only listened to by kids? Did college kids listen to the Spice Girls? I was in elementary school at the time, and I feel like these acts targeted specifically at tweens are a pretty recent phenomenon, but I also can't really imagine in retrospect that they had any fans older than thirteen. I wonder if they, along with all the boy bands at the time, were really targeted towards adolescents, just not as explicitly as the more recent acts are. On the other hand, the nineties were such a goofy time that it doesn't seem that impossible.

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

No idea, I only remember the one episode.

It definitely was, because that's the only episode that I remember. I feel like the mother was the woman who played the villain on Alex Mac, but that could just have been my child brain combining the two.

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009

TombsGrave posted:

Compilation CDs and the late-night TV advertisements for them. Staying up to watch USA Up All Night (hosted by Gilbert Godfried) led to me memorizing thirty-second-long mashups of five-to-ten-seconds of about ten or twenty songs. Clicking one of those New Age music links finally put me at one of those New Age songs I always wanted to hear in full, and it only dawned on me when it hit that four seconds of it they used in an old compilation CD commercial.

Because of these commercials, there are still songs that make me jump when they keep going instead of turning into the next song on the commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixed Doubles
May 5, 2009

Deacon of Delicious posted:

Me too. :hfive:

When I get nostalgic for high school music, I turn on the local alternative station. 3/4 of what they play is still from the '90s. Before much longer, that stuff is going to be classic rock.

A new local station in my town plays "the music you grew up with": 70s, 80s, 90s. It has happened.

• Locked thread