Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That PSA telling kids to eat their fruits and vegetables.

Eating 5-a-day is the magic rule, more is okay... but less is uncool!

Don't be that friggin' uncool kid who won't eat his asparagus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Speaking of stuff like that, who had Earthsearch?

This book was probably the coolest thing I ever owned. I just found it recently and was forced to basically read through the entire thing in one sitting. Sooo cool.

The Klutz books were all great. I enjoyed the hell out of them.

This was my favorite.

This book, though not Klutz, was also incredible:

I always thought this one was a good all-around :iceburn::

It wasn't perfect but I learned a lot of things from that book as a child that I was never taught later, such as the concept of abundant numbers.

Pick has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Mar 25, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SpazmasterX posted:

The final season got a bit bizarre, if I remember correctly.

They fired the guy whose idea it was and it went off the rails, pretty much.

How about this poo poo?!

Undulated tinamou! :argh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Side note, going all the way back to this:

I was blown away when I saw my Grade 5 practicum class playing it 2 months ago. No graphics upgrades or anything, the exact same loving version as 20 years ago.

I played it fairly recently too. It's a solid game! I still like SimAnt, too.

But SimTunes is the best.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Daeren posted:

I read every single one of these books as a kid, multiple times. Every time I bring it up to people around my age, I get one of two reactions: "Huh?" or "gently caress YEAH BUNNICULA!"

I still have some of the books on a shelf at home. I should really dig through them and read them again, the last time I reread them was in high school, and they were still good.

One of the guys in the department came to the Halloween party as Bunnicula. Only two of us got it, but I was one of them :smug:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

This thread has almost made me think that I'm the only person on the planet who still remembers "Eek the Cat". I used to love that loving show for some reason..

My dad loving loved this show, as well as its complement, The Terrible ThunderLizards.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How about this loving ridiculous time-sink of my youth, 3D Movie Maker?

OH MY GOD I CAN MAKE MY OWN MOVIES IT'S THE FUTURE!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chainclaw posted:

This '90s software talk is reminding me of SimTunes. It's like MSPaint + a MIDI song writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimTunes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-SS8WlREPQ

Spent a lot of time with this really interesting piece of software. I believe the developers went on to do Electroplankton for the Nintendo DS?

"BugzLabo" is still my jam.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Having read the original Card Captor Sakura I have to say some of the changes were good. They removed some of the... CLAMPitude. Like how young Sakura's mother was and that thing with her classmate. Jesus poo poo.

That said... Julian Starr :iamafag:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Learn how to act like a human being in supposed preparation for highschool.

I always made that horrible blonde girl split her pants in soccer. Taste my villainy!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dad Beer posted:

Also, I was wondering if anybody else remembered a VHS I used to have called "Dinosaurs! Dinosaurs! Dinosaurs!" It was a shortish collection of little vignettes about dinosaurs fighting or taking care of their babies or whatever, and there was a host who would be at different dinosaur-related places in between them and introduce each segment. For some reason, over the course of the video he slowly turned into a dinosaur which completely terrified me; I loving loved dinosaurs back then though so I watched it pretty much every day. I'd love to be able to watch that goofy video again.

I found the name of that film thanks to SA's "Help finding pre-internet things" thread. I only saw it once and the only thing I remembered was the part where he becomes a dinosaur. Irreversibly. It was kind of messed up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

coop52 posted:

I had almost 30 of those books. I stopped reading them after a big time skip and the series changed to eventing and got even stupider than it was.

I read a bunch of other horse series, too, but I can't remember the names of them. One was about a ghost horse in Arizona. Another was about a girl who was paid to be friends with a disabled girl. I think I got them at a Book Fair. I pretty much bought any book there that had a horse on it. Most of them were dumb.

I wish I could find the ghost horse one again. I know it was stupid but for some reason I wish I knew what it was.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

90s as gently caress, man. I remember reading Bruce Coville books, too, like Aliens Ate My Homework. poo poo, I still remember the most ridiculous part of it: his little sister and brother called papier mache "pooper mucky". Seriously, Bruce? Seriously?

gently caress you. That book is the best. All the aliens are kind of dicks and take a wonderfully cavalier attitude about drawing the main character kid into dangerous situations and/or shooting him. Bruce Coville forever. :colbert:

Pick has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Jun 8, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Julliard Music Adventure. Taught music theory. This was my favorite educational game as a kid, after Amazon Trail and SuperMunchers. I never beat the last dragon one though. Those were the hardest by far :smith:.

I schooled the gently caress out of Bumptz Science Carnival, though. Heh! :smug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Hey, now, let's not be hasty. I'm just taking issue with "pooper mucky". Don't hate me. :cripes:

You're forgiven. Because the Things really are the most pointless part of the series.

But I am watching you!

(Really, after book 1, I wish Rod hadn't even been in it. Just the aliens, doin' space things.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nooblord posted:

I got my first computer in 96 or 97, some lovely eMachine. Our family wouldn't get dial-up until a few years later, but I still spent all my free time playing Commander Keen and all the free games that came with Windows 95. It's all about Rodent's Revenge!

SON OF A BITCH.

I had an abusive relationship with that game.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rahonavis posted:

The anatomical diagrams in "Zoobooks" were the poo poo, and I loved the panorama of diverse extinct elephants. Imagine, honest-to-goodness scientific illustrations in a children's magazine! These, "World", and "Ranger Rick" were the best.

Zoobooks is still in publication, and it is still excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I thought this was true until I moved to Canada. With a half-dozen significant large malls in the city (and the largest containing a water park, NHL-sized rink, putt-putt, etc.) I've realized that in winter, when it is too drat cold to go outdoors, malls are something like the national past-time.

I cannot even tell you how many times I've been to Mall of America in winter just to take a loving walk.

• Locked thread