Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think pretty much every mid to late 90s geocities website was pretty campy. They all followed a formula which went like this:

[Animated flame GIF] Title of website ie "JoEs AwEsOmE SitE!!"[Animated flame GIF]
Heres a long list of stuff I like!!
Images of cars
Images of bands
Images of video games
Random images

Links to websites I like. Half the links are broken.

Crappy midi music running in the background
"Join my webring!" All you young uns probably dont know what a webring is.
Hit counter.
*edit: almost forgot the mandatory Internet explorer 3.0 and netscape buttons.
That literally describes the majority of Geocities websites back then. Also you can go on the Geocities-izer and geocity-ize any website you want check it out: http://wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/index.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

korusan posted:

I actually thought the same when I was getting a source for the image, but then I remembered how I have a wheelchair-bound friend from high school who nicknamed himself "Wheels".

I swear back in the 90s any cast of characters for any tv show, or advertisement (like the BK kids) had a handicapped member. I think it was sort of to promote equality to impressionable kids. I even remember a marvel comic I think it was X-force, or X-Factor that had a member on crutches but they were like cool looking crutches and she was a mutant with powers and stuff. But still handicapped.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

korusan posted:

Every show from the early 80s to mid 90s had a black kid, a brainiac (often mixed with being the black kid), a redhead, a cool kid, and two girls, one of whom was almost always a tomboy.

Speaking of inclusion etc., Canadian goons might remember these type of commercials that tried to reach out to kids. The most famous one was the house hippo, for which knowing about is basically a prerequisite for being Canadian in the 90s.

If Im not mistaken I think there was even a few characters in some cartoons who had HIV/AIDs. One thing I remember about the early 90s was the aids hysteria what with Freddy Mercury dying, and Magic Johnson contracting the disease really putting it in the spotlight. And with the hysteria came a lot of misinfo, like people thought you could catch aids by hugging someone and stuff like that. So I think to combat that misinfo there was at least once cartoon character in a show that had AIDS. I cannot remember the character or the show but Im almost certain it happened.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

HI KIDS WE'RE HOME EARLY!

That part of the commercial is creepy
http://youtu.be/anjyiO754hU
And wow what a cockblock that kid is!

• Locked thread