Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

These guys are the Alpha and Omega of the campy 90's, and I will still remember them fondly when I am a shriveled old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Can anyone suggest any books/documentaries about 90s tech/PC gaming?

"Masters of Doom" by David Kushner is an informative and highly entertaining look at id Software's early days.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

A few years ago, my cousin, who is also a child of the 90's, decided he'd watch the entire Dragonball saga, start to finish (the original show, Z, and GT). He found some subbed version of the Japanese airings online and grinded through all of them over a period of a few months, it was something insane like 300 or 400 episodes all told. He seemed to really enjoy the nostalgia trip but openly acknowledged that some of the episodes are absolute poo poo (notably pretty much all of GT apparently).

Emboldened by this, I decided to tackle the quintessential show of my childhood, the first few seasons of Power Rangers. You can probably guess how it went.

I made it maybe all of 7 or 8 episodes deep before I gave up. Even thick rose-tinted glasses could not disguise the poo poo. I remember the show fondly, but dear Lord are some of those early episodes insufferable. The only way I could have made a go at the series is to whittle each season down to a handful of essential episodes, the ones that were better written and drove the overall arc of the series.

Cut to now, a few years later. I'm poking around on Youtube a few weeks ago and lo and behold, I discover that someone has subtitled and uploaded the entire Japanese series that Power Rangers was based on, Zyuranger. On a lark, I decide to watch a couple of episodes and I immediately realized that this thing could fill the nostalgia void I experienced a few years back. I'm now nearly halfway through the series (at only 50 episodes clocking in at 20 minutes apiece, it's a pretty breezy watch). As an adult viewer, it's pretty much everything that Power Rangers wasn't. It still devolves into silliness from time to time and it is clearly a kids' show, but holy hell do the kids shows in Japan get away with a lot more. It's also written in a way that doesn't assume that kids are drooling morons, like most childrens' shows in America. Seriously, if you've ever wanted to take a Power Rangers nostalgia trip but you're afraid of wading through too much garbage, this series is for you. It hits all those nostalgia buttons while being engaging on its own merits.

If you thought the Evil Green Ranger was the best part of Power Rangers, you're in for a big treat. Where Tommy was just a teenager that Rita put a spell on, upon Burai's first appearance (he's the Green Ranger in the Japanese series), he's just a straight-up arrogant, murderous prick who's hellbent on fratricide. I don't want to give away too much, but needless to say it takes a legitimate change of heart on Burai's part to get him to snap out of it rather than just breaking a spell. If any of that sounds remotely badass to you, check it out. I don't want to post a link on here but it is really easy to find (I think it exists in a legal gray area of sorts - the original series has never been sold or imported to the States, so as far as I can tell nobody is really infringing on US copyrights by uploading them, but better safe than sorry).

• Locked thread