Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I don't understand why MTV wont release a DVD or something of their worst videos ever special with Jon Stewart (among other people). That special is loving hilarious. It encapsulates old MTV for me, just a bunch of random lovely comedians riffing on bad music videos for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bulgaroktonos posted:

What about The Net? Almost every movie involving computers had a sinister Bill Gates-like villain (see Anti-Trust). The level of loathing for Gates is quaint in retrospect.

Its even funnier in retrospect now that Bill Gates has done so much good with his piles of money, and now that Apple is the defacto face of sleek corporate marketing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The single most important demoscene video ever made:
http://youtu.be/XtCW-axRJV8

All done by hand in MSDOS, this predates Quake by about a year.

For reference this is a video from the same competition that that video won, 19 years later:
http://youtu.be/8MMwO8Mvqfs

And yet somehow the first video impresses me more.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Apr 2, 2012

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
How is this video days old yet encapsulates the year 1999 perfectly?
http://youtu.be/wmR4q_YAcZU

Have you guys heard this new "Europop" album? Blue is my JAMS!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

tehloki posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBR9Irgi35U

My favorite Horrible Hip Hop Vocal-Fronted Eurodance Band of the 90s. Great cheesily cut-together video as well.

Sometimes I miss the 90's craze of "Woman sings for a while then A LARGE EUROPEAN MAN YELLS SLASH RAPS AT YOU"

Then Scooter got big and just cut out the first part.

Scooter is like in a comic book where they discover some fragment of reality floating in the nether and it contains a version of Gotham from the 50's or something.

http://youtu.be/F4w5UjMJAFY

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It didn't help that the Pokemon TCG was actually a really good game. Because Nintendo didn't gently caress around when it came to that poo poo, they made sure it was a high quality product that they wanted to be associated with. See also: when they made another very 90's thing the Pokemon Pikachu which was their Tomagotchi type thing, it was way more advanced and pun then a Tomgotchi and the follow up to it was actually a small handheld video game console with cartridges and everything.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Wasn't APS film pretty much only used by graphic design college students with too much money?
I thought its only real advantage was recording data on the negatives so you could do easy formatting stuff.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
NBA Jam is also in the top 5 highest grossing arcade games of all time! Which is crazy because no one ever talks about it, despite every other game in that list (Pac Man, Street Fighter 2, etc) being cultural staples. Also it was totally haunted (I believed this as a kid)!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Cow and Chicken is the cartoon that has the super offensive episode with the lesbian biker gang that breaks into peoples houses and chews on their carpets, right?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That poo poo is just lazy. At least when Animaniacs did it it was full of bad puns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Q1fPH7ETY&t=233s

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Daria's only weakness is that the best episode (Boxing Daria) is the very last episode.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Overbite posted:

I don't know. I thought it started going to "very special episode" territory towards the end of its run.

It wasn't that bad until the movie, the movie was full to the gills of that stuff. But at least it handled it better than most TV episodes about your friend being an alcoholic.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Brick Shipment posted:

I had a bunch of these. What the hell were they for besides trying to hit your sister in the eye? They came packaged with pokemon figures, but as far as I know, there was no pokemon figure game you were supposed to play involving these things. They were just... there.

Kinda wish I could find mine again.

By the time Pokemon came out the Gameboy was pretty much a dead system. When Pokemon gave it a huge shot in the arm and suddenly made it start selling again Nintendo determined to make sure everyone associated the two things because at that point they were pretty much linked by a monetary umbilical cord. Although they tried to sell the Game Boy Color with Zelda, what really sold it was the extra color options in Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon games were pretty tied with all game boy systems sales up until the DS.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Aftershock is like Fireball Whiskey: Booze for people who don't actually enjoy alcohol but still want to say they drink something that isn't Mikes. You'll find it at any liquor store near a college and pretty much no where else.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Goldschlager has some limited use in cocktails however. I can't think of any cocktail I'd use aftershock in that wouldn't make me want to use something similar but better like Ullr.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Fun Fact: Although Jolt Cola did not hospitalize a kid the energy drink Spike Shooter did. I heard my cousins talking about it and I thought it was just a rebirth of the old Jolt urban legend that I'm sure follows whatever energy drink is the "most extreme" among the youths these days. Much to my surprise it's actually true. Redline has also hospitalized people, so I guess we are now in the future where the playground legends of the past are a reality.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only part of John Dies at the End I enjoyed was the presence of Snow.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kilazar posted:

Huh?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1783732/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

I didn't notice him in the show, and he's not listed on the IMDB. What part is he in, cause I can't believe I missed seeing that!

The book has a really good throw away reference to the song which was one of the only pop culture references in it that didn't make me roll my eyes. I haven't seen the movie.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jokers Gamble posted:

Any Midwestern US Goons remember going to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis or COSI in Toledo, OH? My brother and I were home schooled till I was in 1st grade and we would go on trips there all the time. I remember the Children's Museum having a section were you could excavate a dinosaur skeleton. I wonder if those places are still running?

My girlfriend will not shut up about the Indianapolis Childrens Museum being awesome. She grew up in a absolute shithole wasteland called Jamaica Township in Illinois so It was the only fun thing she ever got to visit as a child.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

syscall girl posted:

My first (and only) planetarium experience was 1999 at OMSI in Eugene. It was laser Floyd and yes, yes we did. :weed:

That wasn't OMSI, that's Wiztech (now The Science Factory). They still do the Pink Floyd show every once and a while.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The late 90's Ska boom was pretty huge in the Pacific Northwest. A lot of kids in baseball pants, checkered ties and fedoras. We traveled like two hours or so up the highway to see The Toasters when they came by and that was a huge deal at the time. It was also pretty tied to the whole Warped Tour scene, and a lot of the second stringer bands were all Ska and Ska-punk bands.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
One of the places I grew up always had a huge problem with its downtown. Lot's of homeless people, druggies and teenagers always loitering everywhere and lot's of business that was legitimate but not the kind of stuff that got foot traffic or created a nice downtown environment (stuff like holding companies, accountants and real estate agencies). Their solution during the late 90's was to give huge tax breaks to companies and get them to develop it somehow, but naturally the town was very hostile to foreign interests taking over their beloved city center. This lead to companies getting very poorly worded contracts from the city guaranteeing them tax breaks and essentially building a second downtown about a mile away from the real downtown.

It's still jarring to go into that section because it was built in the style of an extremely 90's SoCal outdoor mall, juice bar and all (it's now a sandwich shop). Meanwhile the actual downtown is thriving because not idiots stepped in and built poo poo like brew pubs and pizza joints that people actually want to go to a visit.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I liked the Megablocks sets they released at the height of fingerboards. They were basically finger board set ups but you had a megablocks dude you could customize who would ride around on top of the board and a little stick thingy that let you control the boarder. The sets came with all kinds of grind rails and half pipes and you could put together your own badass skate part/Tony Hawk level.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SyHopeful posted:

I still have a "Make 7up Yours" t-shirt, does that count?

The other day I was cleaning and found a shirt for the discontinued Coca-Cola soda Citra.

I really liked Citra, I hear you can get it as some flavor of Fanta in the foreign lands.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Best source for awesome screensavers.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Disco Pope posted:

As much crap as anime gets now, it had a bit of counter-cultural weight to it in the nineties, at least before Pokemon (or I was young and naive enough to believe that was the case). I seem to remember fairly cool brands and electronic music artists co-opting anime imagery. I guess Japan was still what we believed the future was going to look like then. This Manga video intro used to get me hyped as gently caress:

http://youtu.be/-HVzlfuchkw

At least in the late 80's/Early 90's anime was the exact opposite of what was happening in the American animated industry. American animated stuff was doing really poorly, all the cartoons for kids were transparent cash grabs, Disney was producing mediocre work and losing poo poo loads of money. But then we started getting stuff like import Miyazaki films and gundam which were more in step with the awesome animated counter culture stuff like Wizards. I think a lot of that stuff revitalized American animators to start making better stuff again and we got things like BTaS and Animaniacs which are some of the best kids cartoons ever made.

But yeah, for a solid period of the 90's, especially in Europe anime was hand in hand with the Rave/Gabber scene. It certainly didn't help that those kids were already spiking their hair and coloring it crazy colors while wearing ridiculous clothes so the aesthetics lined up really well.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Peak 90's TV is the episode of the Outer Limits reboot where Nathan Filion plays a American expat running a bar in alien occupied Russia.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Genesis is OK but its no MSX2.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I like how to complete the 90'sness of their business, the example pog is naturally for the main character of Saved by the Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Archibald Tuttle posted:

Holy poo poo. This thread. Looking back at the Mighty Max posts reminded me of all the miniature type toys they had back then. Took me back to Monster in my Pocket, Z-bots, and, from what I can recall, the little known Trash Bag Bunch. These figures came in a dissolvable "trash bag" so you never knew which figure you were going to get. Drop em in the water and watch it fizz and bubble as you waited in anticipation of who you'd get next. Gotta love random toys.

The set:

Dissolving action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgiocq6j62k

There is a British company that has basically brought these back. I mean it's not the same sculpts or anything but it's clearly inspired by them heavily. They are called Toxic Mutants and come in a barrel of slime.

• Locked thread