Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

VoilaIntruder posted:

I secretly miss websites for progz that looked like this (warning for loud as hell MIDI, as was the style at the time)
http://www.angelfire.com/ga/cybergalyean/page3.html

It's worth noting that none of the download links work as they redirect to geocities, tripod, and other long forgotten hosts, so if you need to get winzip for win 3.1, you need to look elsewhere.
Those colors :psypop:

I remember a friend of mine making a website that looked like this for computer class in 9th grade, it had red text on blue and green backgrounds or something equally as horrifying. And GIF animations, a whole bunch of them. And frames, of course, since pretty much all of us were using premade Microsoft FrontPage templates. (We weren't taught any HTML or anything that might theoretically be useful later on) The site I made wasn't that much better, but at least it didn't permanently blind everyone who looked at it.

This wasn't even in the 90s, it was around 2002 and we really should have known better by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Antioch posted:

These guys, and the terrible I Want You song that still gets stuck in my head sometimes
I must have heard that song a million times and I still have no idea what the lyrics are saying without looking them up. Something something cherry cola. I was going to post the music video, but I found something even... uh, better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CKwGeKtcNM

Savage Garden and loving Sash (remember Sash? They did that ECUADOR song) in one song. Doesn't get much more 90s than that.

Savage Garden also recorded what might be the wimpiest of all the wimpy 90s pop ballads.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

...Other people changed their computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips, right? :ohdear:
I'm pretty sure I changed it to an explosion sound from Worms Armageddon at some point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cromulent posted:

They were popular from mid 94 until late 95. Then everyone stopped giving a poo poo about them.
I remember seeing pogs for the first time in 1998, and they were still around for a couple of years after that. I even recall the teacher calling them "pokemons" at one point, and Pokémon didn't really become popular over here until early 2000.

I guess Finland was the place where 90s fads went to die several years after everyone else in the world stopped caring.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

betterinsodapop posted:

Oh poo poo, Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin'! That game was awesome.
The arcade version with the cockpit and wheel was amazing. At the time, I remember thinking that it was the pinnacle of video game realism that would never be topped.

Alas, the Genesis version wasn't nearly as fun.
That's actually Stunts/4D Sports Driving. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_(video_game)

Played this quite a lot on a friend's 286 (with utterly awful frame rates) back in the day. The track editor was awesome.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of Power Rangers toys and getting angry about them, I have to admit I was just a tiny bit disappointed when, for my eighth birthday, I got this:

instead of this:

It was cool and all and I didn't really get mad because hey, it was the Megazord, but you couldn't take it apart into the individual dinozords or combine it with other zords (which I didn't have either but whatever) or anything like that. :saddowns:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Daeren posted:

This is pretty much exactly what it was like for me. I was always insanely jealous of the kids who had the whole Deluxe Megazord.
To be fair, when I asked my parents for the Megazord I had no idea the cheaper version even existed, and they had no way of knowing that it was the more expensive one I wanted. From what I remember, that thing cost an arm and a leg (especially in mid-90s Finland) so I'm not sure if I would have gotten it anyway.

More toys from my childhood, here's the Biker Mice from Mars! Those bikes were the poo poo:

The Biker Mice from Mars cartoon was pretty much utter garbage in retrospect, but the Finnish dub has become something of a cult classic among 20-something nerds due to the fact it had a whole bunch of sexual references and swearing for some reason. I haven't seen the original English-language version of the show, but I assume it was a lot cleaner. I also believe the Finnish dub became the way it was because whoever was translating it went "Oh gently caress this, another one of these lovely Ninja Turtles ripoffs, I need to do something interesting with this or I'm gonna drink myself to death," wrote the most ridiculous translation he possibly could, and nobody cared enough to do anything about it once the show aired. (I have absolutely nothing to base this on, it's just what I probably would have done in the same situation)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I was watching some Iron Maiden concert videos on Youtube earlier, and came across this gem -- a clip from the 1993 "Raising Hell" TV special that was Bruce Dickinson's last performance with Iron Maiden until his return in 1999. Due to some horror magician providing extra theatrics for this show, it was also utterly ridiculous even by Maiden concert standards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MKMlEGtLE

Wikipedia has a pretty good summary: "The band played on stage in conjunction with horror magician Simon Drake, who ended up "killing" Dickinson in an Iron Maiden torture device, "amputated" Dave Murray's hands on a table saw and "killed" members of the crew and audience." For the sake of everyone involved, I hope they didn't expect people to think this show was anything other than hilarious campy poo poo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Zeether posted:

In a Sega racing game from the late 90s there's a variation that goes "Woo! Uh!"
Cruis'n USA isn't a Sega game so I'm not sure if you meant that, but it definitely is a 90s racing game and the soundtrack has a lot of "Woo! Uh!" going on, so it was the first thing I thought of when I read this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp51Uhf0GOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

The "USA" in a racing game reminded me of another terrible musical atrocity.

Daytona USA.

Let's go away... from this part of the arcade because this track loops on a giant rear end sit-down set up with a huge monitor and speakers and just blares DAYTONA LET'S GO AWAY over and over and...
Daytona USA's soundtrack owns and so does the game itself. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrltm5LfUrQ

:byodood: Rolling STAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

To be honest, I seem to recall that my local arcade had the sound on the Daytona USA cabinet turned really low and you couldn't hear any of the music very well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ah yes, SCUD Race as it was called in this part of the world. That was a pretty good game from what I recall, too bad it was never ported to any home consoles.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of useless with batteries, how about the Nomad?

A portable Genesis, released in 1995 and discontinued the following year due to lovely sales. The main problem with the Nomad is, of course, that it eats batteries like a big battery-eating thing and would go through six AA batteries in an hour or two. It also freezes your game if you bump it while playing, making it even less portable.

With all that said, though, the Nomad is loving awesome and probably my favorite video game thing that I own. :krad:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

All those At Games systems are pieces of poo poo, don't buy them..
Word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Ey5zKKldY

I have this one, although it's called the Blaze Mega Drive here in Europe. (It's also not portable like those other ones, but it's mostly got the same guts so whatever) I bought it in 2008 or 2009 thinking it would be a decent starter system for someone like myself who had never owned a Mega Drive or any other Sega system (this was obviously before I went completely insane really started collecting retro stuff, nowadays I have a whole bunch of Sega consoles), but it was such a pile of poo poo that I ended up just buying a used model 2 Mega Drive on Amazon like a week later.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dis posted:

My children somehow destroyed mine. And by "somehow" I mean that they were fighting over it and IF I CAN'T PLAY IT RIGHT NOW NOBODY CAN. It was a sad, sad, angry day. Let's hope the N64 lasts longer in their not-so-gentle hands. At least they can both play that at the same time?
They could have played the Nomad at the same time too. :smith: You can hook it up to a TV with a regular Genesis model 2 video cable and plug in a second controller to use it as the least practical Genesis in the world.

Well, there's another good reason for me to never have kids: they'll break your Sega Nomad.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Aesthetics-wise, the Saturn is probably my favorite video game system. That design is just gorgeous. I especially like the white one:

Obviously it couldn't compete with the PSX and N64 when it came to 3D games (although the Sega arcade ports such as Sega Rally are really good) and failed pretty hard in the west, but it did have a ton of great 2D fighters and shoot 'em ups.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

One thing the 1990s had in abundance was novelty hits: this is one of my favourites.
Okay, just how much booze and cocaine led to the creation of this?

...considering it's Gazza, probably enough to kill an entire family of rhinos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Trash Bag Bunch owned, I had that Bio-Degrader guy who looks like a WH40K space marine.

Speaking of things that own, here's the original Mortal Kombat arcade flyer:

I'm not sure what my favorite part of this is, because it's all amazing.

• Locked thread