Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

And the Adventures of Super Mario 3!

For about two years, you couldn't escape this. At the time, you wanted to scratch out your eyes and eardrums, but now that we're safely (?) past it, the spectacle of it is amusing. Far and away, though, the best thing was the Al Gore version of the macarena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Memories, memories.

Blossom. The cover of Joey Lawrence's CD.

Koosh balls!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Ah, Revolution X. Even the name screams 90's!

If anyone has never heard of this, it's a game where a bunch of butch biker women wage war against the YOUTH CULTURE in the far off dystopian future of 1996, and you defeat them by shooting Aerosmith CDs at them with a light gun. I saw one of those at a roller rink around 1999, I didn't play it because I was too amazed by the graphics of the Soul Calibur machine next to it.

Here's a neat little pamphlet that sums it up pretty nicely: http://filesmelt.com/dl/62170802.jpg

About a year ago, I saw a copy of it at Play & Trade for $5. I couldn't resist. It's even more horrible than you can imagine.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

korusan posted:

So Kurt Cobain died on this date 18 years ago.

Nirvana truly was the apex of 90s grunge. Not the first or even the best, but they really defined it and were marketed much more than anyone else.

One of the standout memories of my days in middle school is a talent show put on by faculty and students in my 8th grade year. A group of 8th grade boys covered "Polly Want a Cracker." It got a gym full of countrified, backwoods Georgia kids to headbang.

Those men who spent the night, they really weren't your uncles. And there was no such team as the "Do-me Babies."

My late night teenaged weekend TV viewing was devoted to reruns of Duckman.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

You know what I don't miss from the 90's? Terrible YA books! Sure there was Goosebumps and R.L. Stine and all of the cool "scary" books. But all of the others were the same 'sounds cool but really were to teach you an important lesson.

And for the girls, Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins. Those were extremely popular in my area around 1990. Desperate for something to read one night a couple of years ago, I pulled one off the shelf. Yikes, it was awful.

Also when working in a middle school, someone left Whatever Happened to Janie? (sequel to The Face on the Milk Carton) on the shelf in the room I occupied. Boredom also led me to pick that up and spend my free time finishing it as form of punishment for starting it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Lolitas Alright! posted:

I spent every CENT of allowance, every bit of birthday or Christmas money I had on the books. I ended up totally scoring and finding four of the Kirsten books, the first Samantha book, and one of the Molly books at the thrift store all in one go. Cost me $5 for all of them because someone had marked in the corner of each cover with a blue colored pencil (which an artgum eraser got rid of).

However, those loving dolls were prohibitively expensive. $116 for the doll, her outfit, and her first book (that's including shipping) was WAY too much for any non-rich elementary school girl. I ended up getting my Kirsten doll as my 6th grade graduation gift. I still have her, and my parents even agreed to pay to have her leg put back on and a new head put on (since I trashed the hair on it) so that I can keep it as an heirloom.

Of course, there was always that ONE girl who was super rich and had all of the dolls, all of their books, all of the furniture, all of the accessories, and all of the outfits. Plus had the loving one that you could get customized to look like you, PLUS all the poo poo for THAT one too. Everybody was jealous of that girl.

For some reason, I remember the dolls being about $75-$80, then again that might have been in the earliest days as I was reading those things at the end of the '80s. I begged and begged and begged and got the Samantha one. It's still at my mom's. I never really played with it, but I can't remember if I was pressured not to as it was too fancy or if I just didn't have the interest once I got it. It came with an authentic Indian head penny.

I had all the books for Kirsten, Samantha and Molly. Mom would occasionally go off on some tangent like this, a mix of trying to make me a girly-girl (didn't happen) and actually be on the cutting edge of something.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rahonavis posted:

(And of COURSE both of these came home with me. In part because I had to know. Mostly because when someone too young to remember the 1990's asks me to describe the era to them, all I'll have to do is show them "Chant". "Monks had a hit record," I'll say. "That could have only happened in the 1990's.")

Unless you're talking about nuns in the 1960s.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mourning Due posted:

Ah, god, what was it?

"Maniac, Maniac, runs all night
Maniac, Maniac, doesn't like to fight.
Doesn't eat, doesn't go to school.
Maniac, Maniac, kissed a bull!"

What have I got wrong?

This brought up so many strange half-formed memories. Wasn't there a big knot that he picked apart? And some sort of twinkie-type cake that sounded really good? Maybe with caramel or something?

Mostly there, but out of order

Maniac, Maniac, he's so cool!
Maniac, Maniac, don't go to school!
Runs all night, runs all right!
Maniac, Maniac, kissed a bull!

We had this in our own little classroom library in 5th grade and there was a waiting list a mile long. In 6th grade, the book that was all the rage was Matilda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A couple of ads from a 1996 Internet World magazine.

Eudora. I had an independent ISP - none of the major ones had a local phone number - so I don't know about size limits on email or how useful this really might have been. I only knew one person who had it.

Don't you wish you could make web pages this fancy?

Hint: Just steal other people's graphics from Geocities. Until they disabled hotlinking, making you have to rehost them, too.

I also have a year's worth of Yahoo Internet Life from late 1997-98. If anyone's curious I'll dig through those for things we can now mock.

• Locked thread