Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

As someone who grew up during the 1990s, I am enamoured with all the tacky-cheesy stuff I remember. The bright neon colours, flannel, unnecessarily edgy reboots of old series, and all that good stuff. The entire decade feels like '80s 2.0, but I'm unsure whether its campier or not. I mean this was the decade that gave us Nirvana, but it was also the decade that gave us Eiffel 65. It's one big mess. Some of my favourite threads on this forum have been things like "old stock in stores" or "Best Buy ads from 15 years ago". I'm sure I can't be alone right?

To get the ball rolling, have these:

You can really smell the old musk of the 1990s in commercials that even today air. I don't know if companies just think nobody notices, or don't think it's worth it to redo them, but poo poo like this still runs rampant on television where I live.

So what's your favourite stuff from the 1990s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I actually thought the same when I was getting a source for the image, but then I remembered how I have a wheelchair-bound friend from high school who nicknamed himself "Wheels".

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

I swear back in the 90s any cast of characters for any tv show, or advertisement (like the BK kids) had a handicapped member. I think it was sort of to promote equality to impressionable kids. I even remember a marvel comic I think it was X-force, or X-Factor that had a member on crutches but they were like cool looking crutches and she was a mutant with powers and stuff. But still handicapped.

Every show from the early 80s to mid 90s had a black kid, a brainiac (often mixed with being the black kid), a redhead, a cool kid, and two girls, one of whom was almost always a tomboy.

Speaking of inclusion etc., Canadian goons might remember these type of commercials that tried to reach out to kids. The most famous one was the house hippo, for which knowing about is basically a prerequisite for being Canadian in the 90s.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Remember this little prick?

My dad installed this on the computer thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I still don't know if they're spyware or not, and don't care to find out. His jokes sucked anyways.

Also, anyone remember those popsicles that had the little gummy insects in them? Those owned!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, easy there, future-boy. Bonza-Buddy was clearly the early 2000's. Take that space-man stuff to some other thread, we've no need for it in our world of 56k modems, Backstreet Boys, Nick Arcade, and Schumacher Batman movies. :colbert:

In my heart and soul the '90s don't end till 2003ish. 2001 at the verrry earliest.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Hate to clog up my own thread with so much stuff but this is terrifically '90s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_NHDNA8-Uc

Vocal transformers ahoy!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I really hope this doesn't derail the thread but I think the enormous hype and eventual letdown of Phantom Menace was a big part of the '90s too.

I still have my "Power of the Force" Obi Wan and Emperor Palpatine figurines that came with cards flipping the characters between their (then new) and original looks. :3

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

NienNunb posted:

In elementary school, book fairs ment one thing for me:

I remember these! As far as I know the guy is still writing them, but not nearly at the rate he used to. The last one I got was the spinoff book that was a really long comic the two main characters had wrote in detention or something. The last page said that the next book would be coming the following fall.

It didn't come for ten years. I want to see if it was worth the wait but I'm also not 12 anymore so I doubt it. My tastes have been refined from fart jokes to dick jokes in that time. :colbert:

Oh, I set up a thing to discuss the '90s in greater detail so that I'm not posting a bunch of words every time.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So Kurt Cobain died on this date 18 years ago.

Nirvana truly was the apex of 90s grunge. Not the first or even the best, but they really defined it and were marketed much more than anyone else.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

While updating my 90s blog the day (was doing advertisements) I remembered these silly things that permeated Canadian airwaves throughout the late 90s and early 2000s. They still run the ones they can get away with (fashion wise)!

I think the House Hippo is a Canadian cultural icon on par with poutine or perhaps milk in bags.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

For Sarah Michelle Gellar's birthday yesterday, Much Music Canada ran a Buffy marathon extending well into the afternoon. I managed to catch most of it and it reminded me of what the quintessential '90s teen show was: dark, high school-related, and peppered with comedy (but only in appropriate places, there was a lot of drama in these babies).

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

My mother reminded me of Sailor Moon today.

Were it, Dragon Ball, and Pokemon the first three animes to wash ashore in the West? Because they brought a loving tidal wave that leaves us swamped to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

While we're looking at old art sets...

The markers were always dry and I could never figure out how to use the pastels. :(

• Locked thread