Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Sarah Barracuda posted:

Also, did anyone else's schools ban TrapperKeepers? They were always strictly forbidden throughout elementary and middle school. In fact, I seem to remember a supply list in high school that also said they weren't allowed and that was a while after the fad ended. Never did find out why exactly we weren't allowed to use them.

I read somewhere not too long ago, schools banned TrapperKeepers because kids would keep opening and closing the Velcro closures they had, and it was really distracting. Teachers got pissed, TrapperKeepers got banned. I never experienced this myself because I graduated in 1980. We had binders with the 'pinch-proof' plastic rings that opened and closed with a slider thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

GPTribefan posted:

Psssh - it wasn't REALLY USA Up All Night unless it was hosted by Rhonda Shear...

And don't forget Comedy Central's "T&A Matinee", your weekend outlet for cheap 80's teen films. , or (here locally in Cleveland) John Lannigan hosting the Prize Movie every weekday...

I remember weekday afternoon movies. In my area it was the 'Dialing For Dollars' movie. A few times during the film, the lady that hosted would spin a big wheel that looked like a phone dial, that would tell her how many numbers down from the top of the list to get the number to call (phone books were cut up into pieces that had 10 numbers each.) You had to be watching to win, if she called you, you had to give the name of the movie. If nobody won that day, they would add some money to the pot for the next day's calls.

Did anybody else have a 'Dialing For Dollars' movie in their area. I'm pretty sure it existed in other places, it's referenced in a Janis Joplin song.

BTW, this wasn't 90s, but 70s.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

MajorB posted:

Did anyone else spend late nights browsing Snopes, aka the Urban Legends Reference Pages? For little kid me it was a compendium of creepy, funny, gross, and fascinating stories. Back before Facebook and Myspace, Internet urban legends only really spread by e-mail (like creepypasta that didn't advertise itself as such) and hoax websites that were difficult to tell from the real thing. Nowadays internet urban legends are really lame.

From what I've seen lately, I think, that in order to get a Facebook account, one should be required to study Snopes and pass a comprehensive 500-question exam or their account request is denied.

The latest? Jackie Chan is dead.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

IIRC, "Boat people" is a [derogatory?] term for immigrants to Australia and other countries in the Oceana region.

It was also used back in the '80s to describe people coming from Cuba to the US, when Castro apparently emptied the prisons, resulting in lots of criminals in Florida. In the movie Scarface with Al Pacino, Tony Montana came to the US this way.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

I'm not sure if this still exists in the era of digital cable, but in my mind this is an iconic 90's thing.

The Prevue Channel (and later TV Guide Channel.)

It still exists, it's TVGN (TV Guide Network) now, it doesn't have the listings anymore. It's just a rerun channel now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Nope, but that's closer to what I'm talking about.

I was thinking Construx, but that doesn't have the colors you mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construx

• Locked thread