Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Saucy Slit posted:

The Adventures of Pete & Pete.

I'm actually surprised that wasn't the first post in this thread. You goons sure disappoint me sometimes.

Nichole posted:

The Aerosmith Cryin video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNmyxV2Ncw&ob=av2e I thought Alicia Silverstone was awesome and wanted to be just like her. I just re-watched the video again and I still get the urge to kick some guy out of a car, get a lovely tattoo, and get a belly button ring.

Aerosmith was a huge deal back then, anyone remember that arcade game that starred them?

Speaking of which, arcades themselves were really at their peak in the 90's. Consoles couldn't match their sheer power, and what was ported was usually lovely in comparisson to the arcade version (Xenophobe, I'm looking at you). PCs weren't really viable gaming platforms yet either. I also remember my mom commenting about how there weren't any games that just cost $0.25 anymore.

I miss 90's arcades, there were plenty that had relatively unique interfaces. I remember one that was practically a flight simulator, you would spin around and tilt with the primitive 3D graphics, it blew my young mind, I think it cost a dollar per play so, I never could justify more than two rounds.

There was another where you were on a future motorcycle and one of the controls was a chassis for said future motorcycle!

There were also the games with digitized graphics, that came to prominence with the controversial violence of watching real people fake kill each other in Mortal Kombat. There was one I liked that had dinosaurs.

I also remember an arcade near my house caved to protests and removed Splatter House and another one (I looked up a few years back, but can't recall the name, Chiller, I think, it involved shooting things and torturing people), for being too violent.

It's kinda sad that arcades are pretty much dead now, they were a lot more social than an Xbox. I also just realized that the duration of the 90's I was aged 9 to 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arschlochkind posted:

Guys I drank too much Surge and now I have a low sperm count. :(

Oh hell! I lived in one of the test markets for Surge. They came and had a huge event at my High School, and installed a vending machine that sold nothing but Surge for cheaper than the other vending machine.

I'm pretty sure I have a few Surge buttons stashed in a box somewhere.

EDIT:

That reminds me, OK Soda was my favorite soft drink :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AFewBricksShy posted:

Goddamn, MTV. You used to be cool. What happened?

I had forgotten all about those bumpers.

My family avoided cable from about 1987 until June of 1994. We were not allowed to watch MTV, especially Beavis and Butthead. My parents recorded an episode (Late Shift), watched it, then sat down and watched it with us telling us about how bad of a show it was and how they would have lost their jobs.

That didn't stop me from waiting until they went to bed and sneaking into the TV room to watch MTV all night long, every night for the next 3 or 4 years. 11:00, Beavis and Butthead, Alternative Nation, Liquid Television, then to bed at about 1:30. I think watching Kennedy is where I gained my attraction for sarcastic women who wear glasses, I never could figure out the hatred for her.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

blaarghh posted:

Everyone had one of these fuckers in their garden but nobody knew how to actually use it.

I didn't own one but I sure as hell knew how to use one, using it was the best part of physical therapy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

burtonos posted:

Two of my all time favorites, late night Sunday night:

Monsters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFcku3jSph8

Tales from the Darkside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-NMlfa5Aw

Tales from the Darkside was definitely from the 80's but I think it lasted until 1991, but Monsters was it's successor.

Speaking of stupid 90's hair, I was at the gas station on the way into work and I saw no less than three fat white kids with shaved sides, with designs in them. Is that stuff making a comeback? :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone remember that one drink Pepsi Co made around the time the Macarena was popular? Josta I think it was called.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

For years I had thought Weinerville was a fever dream I had had as a child because I couldn't remember it's name and every time I described it to someone they didn't know what I was talking about.

I saw a live taping of it once. I was featured heavily in audience reaction shots, sadly this did not bode well for me in middle school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Archibald Tuttle posted:

Holy poo poo. This thread. Looking back at the Mighty Max posts reminded me of all the miniature type toys they had back then. Took me back to Monster in my Pocket, Z-bots, and, from what I can recall, the little known Trash Bag Bunch. These figures came in a dissolvable "trash bag" so you never knew which figure you were going to get. Drop em in the water and watch it fizz and bubble as you waited in anticipation of who you'd get next. Gotta love random toys.

The set:

Dissolving action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgiocq6j62k

I managed to con my mom into letting me buy 3 of these on different occasions, they were all Junk Jackal.

• Locked thread